1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,375 | Reviews: 3,289 | Show All Ratings:
rawla

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

4 pack from Bevmo in West Hollywood, Ca. No freshness date.

Poured into a snifter. I've had this beer a couple of times over the years, but I figured it was time to give it a proper review.

A: Dark as night, with a thick, creamy head. ( no innuendo intended). Alot of carbonation from the bottom of the bottle, which I think may have affected my tasting score. ALOT of lacing to the sides of the glass.

S: Toasted acorn, some coffee, and subtle chocolate notes. There is a stronger presence of roasted sugar/caramel than chocolate or coffee in my opinion. Alcohol is present.

T: Massive cocoa and toasted caramel notes at the front. A bitter and boozy bite towards the end of the taste. Some coffee notes linger around, but this is a chocolate milkshake on steroids for sure. I have had this on tap, and know how rich and velvety this things can get under the BEST conditions. But, I am not completely BLOWN away in bottle form.

M: Chocolate milk feel in the mouth.

O: A good stout to have on a cold night. 9% ABV and the price per bottle(1.99/per in a 4 pack) make this an incredibly good deal for such a highly alcoholic, and well made beer. A

01-07-2012 19:12:57 | More by rawla
Chirpie

Kansas

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into a tulip. (Closest glass nearby)

Yeah, no light is escaping this one. Kind of an odd thing to give a high appearance on, but I think you know where I'm coming from on a stout like this. :-)

The carbonation was pretty much spot on, nice small bubbles. I think I was surprised by the smell, not as strong as I was expecting. A little charcoal and bitter chocolate aroma.

The taste was very smooth, not overpowering. Somehow, I was hoping for some more complexity to shine through, but the variety of subtle flavors was dominated in my nose by the charcoal taste.

I was surprised how masked that 9% is. Doesn't feel like it at all. I'm not sure I'd ever session an imperial stout, but it's as likely a candidate as you're gonna find.

Regardless, it's good stuff.

03-20-2012 02:17:02 | More by Chirpie
BigTuna

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Old Rasputin pours incredibly dark, almost in an unappealing fashion. You couldn't look through this beer if you had x-ray vision. Appearance hardly ever affects my rating, but this looked like earthworm mud. The smell is also a bit underwhelming. Dark chocolate with a hint of raisin, but it doesn't offer up the complexity of smells I've had from other exceptional RIS. The taste makes up for the smell though. I got waves of dark chocolate and coffee with a bitter (almost hoppy?) finish. Delicious.

Overall, a GREAT beer but I was just slightly underwhelmed.

08-30-2012 19:53:08 | More by BigTuna
Powderhornphil

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours black. Very nice appearance with a kahki head that leaves some lacing.

The roast is predominant with both smell and taste. There is a aroma of dark chocolate in the back ground. Burnt espresso on the finish.

Mouthfeel is nice enough. Long dry, bitter finish.

Overall this is a nice RIS. I would like a little less roast and a little more sweetness. I am a little let down by this legend of RIS.

09-28-2012 21:13:20 | More by Powderhornphil
CraigS119

3.86/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

serving type: bottle; poured into snifter

A- Rich dark pour with a one-finger, toffee-colored head that lingers and laces down the glass

A- Sweet, creamy, malty aroma. Deep resin, with subtle leafy/piney notes

F- Fronted with coffee, caramel, and toasted toffee malts; distinct, but not overwhelming, toasty, bitter followthrough

M- Very smooth, liquidy-velvet fullness with just a bit of carbonation. One of the best mouthfeels I've experienced.

O- A sweet and strong blend, that's not over-powering. Well-balanced. An exemplar of RISs.

12-27-2013 02:05:10 | More by CraigS119
cjgiant

District of Columbia

3.86/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I have had this before without rating, and recall enjoying it. I had the nitro for this review, so ratings are adjusted accordingly.

A: probably thanks to the nitro in part, this beer almost epitomized what I expect a stout to look like. Dark brown-to-black with great head, tan in color and sustaining, with decent lacing
S: I am missing what I expect, instead of roastiness, I am getting a wet cardboard, but it's not very strong
T: smooth, as I expect a nitro. Roasted malt has cocoa taste to begin, with some light bitterness turning it towards coffee, kinda like mocha.
M: there is a coating mild bitterness, not strong but pretty on point to me.
O: I probably have to try the regular bottle or tap to see for certain. Given some of the Imperial Stouts I've had, this is missing some bite. However, in my experience one can question how the nitro affected it. That said, I could probably get in trouble drinking a few of these down quickly and smoothly.

Serving type: nitro-tap

01-31-2014 23:36:30 | More by cjgiant
rajendra82

Georgia

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured out of a stubby bottle with a picture of the Russian mystic on the label (I am assuming this is Rasputin, as I have never seen other pictures of him). When poured into my trusty goblet, the dark brown body is nearly completely opaque, but displays red highlights at the edges when held up against the light. The head is brown in color, massive in size (at least three inches), and has the consistency to stand up on its own above the rim of the glassware. This is one impressive looking beer indeed. The aroma is a mixture of medicinal alcohol, and powdered cocoa, and is relatively mild. The taste is like roasted cracked grain, bitter coffee, unsweetened dark chocolate, dark skinned dried fruits, and charred wood. Very pronounced hop bitterness and a very dry aftertaste are also present, as is the noticeable warming effect of the significant alcohol content. Mouthfeel is soft and soothing, but a bit thinner than what I anticipated. Very good representation of the style, but a bit less in your face than others like Victory Storm King Stout.

05-04-2004 03:47:17 | More by rajendra82
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Black with blonde head. Roasty, salt and bitter and high acid. In sip: Cinammon, rye bread, bittersweet chocolate, fruit,licorice. Could be less hoppy. Medium plus texture.

Had 4.5 years later and certainly stands up over time. There are more "big" RIS but for a bitter coffee one, this is the classic.

06-08-2004 05:00:50 | More by Sammy
ommegangpbr

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Rasputin stares at you through the depths of a goblet. An opaque black stare with deep tan fringes bores into your brain.
This will not be an idle encounter.
A sweet yet bitter perfume floats along the air permeating your nostrils.
::Achoo::
Distinctive. Not something you'd imagine to be appealing but convinces you otherwise.
The encounter is not meek by any standard. Charming yet repelling, both pulling you in and pushing you away.
The struggle is exhausting yet you can't help but thinking that you'll choose to cross paths again.

12-26-2005 01:36:11 | More by ommegangpbr
etaggie09

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Great head retention. left tons of lacing on the glass. Even on a bad pour the head stayed fairly well. The beige head slowly reduces to form a small cap. Body is deep black with barely a garnet hue only when it is held to direct light. looks clear.

Aroma: Smell is kind of like a baltic porter. Has a very vinous aroma but with a more pronounced roastiness than in a porter. Some alcohol, roasted coffee bean, dark malt, plum, and apple. A pleasant aroma.

Flavor: strongly roasted with a porter like background. has similar flavor characterisitcs of the baltic only it reverses the roles of the roastiness and the fruitiness, bringing the roastiness to the foreground. Not overly bitter or sweet, but a bit unbalanced it seems. Quite clean with a moderately bitter finish. Very clean and straightforward.

Mouthfeel: Full, but a bit too carbonated. It has a nice body, but the carbonation bite takes a little bit away from it. Still, it is nice and smooth, and better, I think, than the mouthfeel of Samuel Smith's.

Drinkability: Quite easy. This gives you a straightforward flavor with a decent body that you'd expect from a stout. The warmth from the alcohol is very nice.

Notes: I have yet to be impressed by an imperial stout. I have not tried the best ones, only Samuel Smith's and this one, but I much prefer barleywines. They balance out flavors and don't try to overload you on one. This is a nice after dinner beer, but I don't think I'll be buying it again any time soon. As far as I'm concerned, Shakespeare Stout is a good enough stout for me.

02-18-2006 20:31:05 | More by etaggie09
CaskofFlyingDog

Tennessee

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: black with red hues peaking out the bottom and a wimpish head

Smell: Dark Chocolate Ice Cream with a sour note

Taste Dark Chocolate and lots of it.There's probably some spice in there but i can't detect it.

Mouthfeel: thick with some graininess and a some alchohol

Drinkability: I could have about two then my stool would turn completely black.

08-08-2006 01:49:18 | More by CaskofFlyingDog
kajerm

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours black, totally opaque with a thin, intriguingly asymmetric ring of tan foam; good lacing.

Huge coffee nose, with dark-roasted malt and a little bit of semisweet chocolate. Some yeasty/alcoholic spiciness.

Coffee is definitely evident from beginning to end, with some hops and even more black malt bitterness. There is a strong background flavor of dark chocolate. The alcohol is clearly evident, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The mouthfeel was initially disapointing; the palate was thin and overcarbonated, but it inexplicably settled down and turned into a proper imperial stout-- super creamy and chewy. Nice.

Drinkability is about what you'd expect for an imp, no surprises here.

03-23-2007 21:17:19 | More by kajerm
choyhosoi

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This one pours dark as night and leaves a nice creamy head. The smell is very intoxicating hints of fruit, chocolate, and coffee. The taste was smooth but stayed on the top of my mouth with a bit of bitterness. After a couple of more drinks this one got a little more tamer as far as bitterness is concerned. I would not recommend this if you do not like strong stout beers this one wont be for you.

07-28-2007 00:06:58 | More by choyhosoi
crazybrody06

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle that I let sit on the counter for about 30 minutes, into a mug.

Poured a very dark black color, no light coming through this baby. BIG head took a few minutes to get all the enitre bottle into the glass. The head was the color of chocolate milk. Im still looking at the lace the head left even though the glass is almost empty.

The smell was a mix of sweet chocolate and coffee, dirt (not really as bad as it sounds)

Taste was of dark chocolates, coffee, chalk, some hints of fruits.

This is not really my favorite style of beer so I couldnt drink more then one, but was impressed that I actually finished the entire bottle in about 20 minutes.

Mouthfeel was full and nice without carbonation.

09-10-2007 02:40:45 | More by crazybrody06
TheLastEngineer

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

12oz bottle purchased from Shangy's. Poured into a regular pint glass.

A: Dark as all get-out. Something to behold... made the glass look like it had been painted black on the inside. 2 fingers of tan head, persistent lacing.

S: Quite boozy (imagine that!) with lots of roasted coffee and some dark chocolate. As it warmed, got too complex for my nose to properly analyze. Lots going on under that alcohol smell.

T: Surprisingly good, especially given the assaulting nature of Russian Imperials. Not as much hops as others I've tried. Was expecting more of a boozy taste, but found lots of sweet, bitter, and even creamy flavors.

M: Not too heavy, with enough carbonation to keep things clean. Not easy to do with so much power.

D: About as good as you can get for this style. I've finished other imperials out of principal... leave no respectable beer unfinished. I can drink 2-3 of these and not regret it too much, although the avalanche of dark flavors might render my tastebuds useless for the next week.

Impressive beer. I applaud North Coast for not dumbing this one down one bit. I'm still not a big fan of the style, but this is my favorite Russian Imperial Stout by a solid margin.

10-19-2007 02:18:13 | More by TheLastEngineer
drewbage

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Sampled fresh bottles and poured into a Belgian tulip.

Opaque, black and very little brown head.

Aroma of pine, chocolate and dark fruit.

Big roasty coffeesque beer with a strong bright bitterness that rides through the thick body of the beer and leaves briskly finished that lingers with a bite

11-11-2007 09:41:25 | More by drewbage
ommegoose

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Purchased at Whole Foods Market in Evanston for $6.99 a four pack.

Pours out pitch black. Leaves a head of about a quarter inch of large tan bubbles. Chunky, almost like a root beer float. Leaves sticky lacing around the glass. Giving the glass a little swirl restores some of the head. Very slight amber when some light peeks through at the end of the glass. Looks good, but does not distinguish itself from other RIS's in any way.

Smells like it will be pretty potent at first. I can catch a whiff of the dark malts from about two feet away after I open the bottle. Upon closer examination, the aroma is not as big as I expected. There are the usual culprits; dark malts, chocolate, caramel and some coffee. I do get the feeling that I'm only finding all those because I expect them here. Some alcohol is present too.

Thankfully, there's more complexity to the flavor than the aroma. Big espresso bitterness dominates. Too burnt to even say that it's chocolate or coffee here. This, plus generous hopping seem a bit much. There's also a surprising citrus hop fruitiness buried in here. This score would be higher, but I'm getting an off metallic note on the finish to go with espresso. I'm glad I like espresso a lot. But even espresso has that initial hit of sweetness that I'm not really getting here. The alcohol is not a secret here.

Mouthfeel is fine. A little hot from the alcohol. Carbonation is maybe a little too much. These issues sort of go away about halfway through as the beer sits, or the effects of the alcohol kick in a bit. Pretty solid.

One of these is fine for me. I probably won't rush out to buy this again soon, although it is a pretty good value compared to trying to track down the elusive RIS's. I could see myself picking this up if I happened to have a craving for espresso in beer. I would give the nitro-tap a try though. I suspect it would improve a bit.

02-19-2008 08:11:34 | More by ommegoose
LilBeerDoctor

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Reviewed on 8/5/08. Bottle. Pours black with a small light tan head. Aroma of chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, cookie dough, caramel, nougat, and truffles. Wow. Flavor of roast, coffee, and bitter hops. Sweet roasted malt emerges as the beer warms. A bit heavy (alcohol-wise). Good impy!
8/4/8/4/15 (3.9/5)

12-23-2008 15:16:58 | More by LilBeerDoctor
taylor714914

Update 10/23/13

Put this puppy on nitro and be wowed! Sweet mercy!

I have been wanting to try this for a while, and while out and about I found a four pack for 9 bucks. HAD to pick it up and try it.

A - Dark brown, with a 2 finger head which subsides to just a surface skim. Laces the whole way down the glass. Tons of it.

S - Roasted goodness, coffee, alcohol, just a hint of a sweet smell.

T - Burnt malts, roasted coffee beans, alcohol, chocolate, bitterness.

M - Not as thick as I had hope. Somewhat thin for the style, with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D - An decent RIS, but there are many others I'd rather drink.

10-24-2013 22:11:50 | More by taylor714914
FeDUBBELFIST

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured into a pint glass. The bottle bears no date but the label is classic.

A: Pretty decent creamy head, very brown in color, about 1.5 fingers thick. It lasted for the entire beer; I love when that happens. High expectations for lacing were met, covering the walls of my pint glass in sheets. The body was dark black (as if that makes any sense) and completely opaque.

S: Very heavy malt character, somewhere in between roasted and burnt. Cocoa is the dominating aroma. As with many of my favorite RISs, this one has a distinguishable hop presence, albeit light, but I pick up on some grass, pine and an intriguing lemony tarragon note. Fantastic. So far. Something weird going on with the yeast, which is heavy and soapy in the first place, (not that I ever minded that), but there is an out of place meaty/briny/olivey note that I never smelled before. It wasn't completely off putting but odd nonetheless. Plus a little hot in the nose.

T: Good thing the yeast didn't translate directly to the palate, which I found to be on par with, if not quite nice for a RIS. Noticeable alcohol, woody & smokey with some tobacco, tar and black licorice. There is a long drawn out finish, moderately bitter and salty at the same time with a mineral component as well.

M: Full body, thick, chewy texture with a pleasantly dry finish. This beer becomes especially creamy as the temperature rises plus a few swirls to wear the effervescence out. This one finishes a little warm.

D: A very drinkable RIS, this one will not rock the boat.

01-15-2010 19:32:07 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
crossovert

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

12 oz bottle. No apparent bottled on date.

Pours into my snifter a pitch black. It has a shiny, foamy tan head that sticks for a while and leaves some lacing.

The nose is filled with thick dark malt flavors such as cocoa, coffee, and roasted malt. There is also subtle fruit and caramel. It is a clean, basic RIS scent.

The taste follows, lots of cocoa and coffee. The alcohol is more pronounced on the palate than it is in the nose. It is just quintessential ris flavors. It isn't overly exciting but it is authentic and well crafted.

This is a damn good RIS though not my favorite.

05-01-2010 00:42:38 | More by crossovert
Arbitrator

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Chilled bottle into a glass, warmed up to room temp.

A: Pours a pitch black body with a light tan head that rises to a pinky finger in height. Retention is short, as expected for an impy stout, leaving a thin collar around the edges.

S: Even when cold, it's pretty pungent. The hops are quite prominent, lending an earthy citrus presence that blends beautifully with roasted coffee and bitter dark chocolate. Hints of anise tease the nose.

T: Chocolate-dominated, by far. Silky, delicious dark chocolate that complements both the roasted coffee and earthy hop bitterness. I pick up citrus as well; it's unusual to me that I've grown to enjoy citrus and chocolate flavors in the past couple of months. I used to hate that clash, before. There is a light anise note in the finish, where the chocolate makes a resurgence. Coffee bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: Light-medium bodied. Not exactly viscous, but full in flavor. Silky feel owing to low carbonation.

D: A fantastic deal; I often find 4-packs under $8 and this most recent one cost $6. Great quality, fantastic pricing. It's great to revisit it and enjoy a staple for once. These days, it is outclassed by bigger, heavier interpretations of the style. But those beers also tend to be significantly more expensive, and not so much more enjoyable that this ceases to be a good deal.

05-05-2010 03:01:26 | More by Arbitrator
Chizoad

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Dark, inky totally opaque. Beige head with small retention. Looks good.

Fantastic smell! Flowers, blueberries, coffee (especially the bitterness), but malt dominates. Love the fruit in this, a really pleasant surprise. I let a few others smell this and nobody agreed with me, so I'm probably full of it.

The malt dominates again, and the hoppy bitterness completes an excellent flavor. Lots of depth here with layers of the malt.

Nice carbonation, good but not great mouthfeel. Probably just personal preference, as I like lighter mouthfeel. It's a stout, so for the style, I can't complain.

Not particularly drinkable, I definitely couldn't have more than one of these given the density and relatively high ABV%. While it lasted, was quite drinkable, but that was the end of the line.

06-05-2010 07:40:46 | More by Chizoad
kylehayworth

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

I had this beer about 8 months ago, without any real knowledge, I decided to try it again, and see if I liked it better...

A: The apperance is dark black, with hues of deep brown and chocolate. The head forms nice and quick with a darker brown/tan tone.

S: It smells of faint alcohol but more so chocolate with mild coffee/vanilla/caramel.

T: I pick up a lingering alochol taste on the finish. Before it gets there though, lots of caramel and vanilla. Robust coffee and chocolate. It got a lot smoother once it warmed up a bit, but still a lot boozy, the notes did get more noticable.

M/D: The carbonation was moderate, but I didn't find it very thick and creamy. It seemed thin and watery. I didn't hate this beer, the texture just seemed a little strange.

09-10-2010 12:19:45 | More by kylehayworth
bboelens

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Had on tap at world of beer, poured into a pint glass

A- Dark dark brown, bordering on black, with huge head that lasts, a menacing Rasputin looks as though he is either about to karate chop me or make the sign of the cross on the glass.

S- Heavy chocolate presence, malts and coffee as well

T- Chocolate, coffee, very bitter, overall a good taste with a stingy finish.

M- Bites and stings the tongue in a good way, carbonation and the bitterness come into play heavily here.

D- With a high ABV this is definitely not a session beer, but overall it makes for a beer that everyone should try at least once.

11-19-2010 07:55:44 | More by bboelens
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.