2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,412 | Reviews: 3,289 | Show All Ratings:
teromous

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Pitch black like looking through a piece of coal. It is accompanied with a creamy tan head that goes away pretty fast.

S: It smells very toasty with a slight musty scent and a little earthy. There's something in the smell that puts me off. I wasn't completely sold on the scent. I could pick up hops but the aromatics were much to bland.

T: Very very robust toasted flavor with a very distinct hop flavor. The hop flavor can really punch through the bold roasted flavor. I keep taking a sip to get that surprise hop-pop. What I like is that the hop flavor really finds its place and stays in it. It's not too subtle or overpowering.

M: I get a "sticky" malty aftertaste which isn't a bad thing it's just something I noticed. It coats the mouth well and is carbonated just right. It's very smooth with a little bite at the end from the grain and hop bitterness.

D: I could drink more of this, but it's not something I would drink one after another. It's very strong and would go well by itself as a sipper or with something with a robust flavor like smoked cheese and sausage.

03-01-2011 01:56:59 | More by teromous
rickalessi

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

appearance - black w/ small head
smell - really surprisingly minimal but noted alcohol
taste - burnt malt upfront, woody, dry alcohol at finish, little hops
mouthfeel - thin, dry carbonation present not overbearing
overall- good, could be thicker, not sweet fairly pure stout , not overly complex

04-02-2011 00:50:47 | More by rickalessi
schlimenhaumer

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass at low altitude.

A: Pours opaque jet black with a formidable tan head -- nice retention. Impressive lacing as well.

S: To me, the alcohol came through most strongly. Coffee came through as well, with some hints of dark chocolate sweetness.

T: A nice mixture of coffee an alcohol up front, moving into a slightly bitter and lingering chocolaty aftertaste. The sweetness from the smell really didn't come through in the taste for me.

M: Wet and alcoholic, nothing too exciting in my opinion. I would have liked a bit more creaminess.

D: Erred a bit on the boozy side for my taste.

04-24-2011 01:13:55 | More by schlimenhaumer
DeltaGolfSierra

Tennessee

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

The menacing picture of Rasputin on the bottle is an appropriate start to this intimidating beer. Appearance is completely black; totally opaque with a big dark tan head. Chocolate scents are strong, with a slight alcohol smell on the nose as well. The chocolate carries into the taste, but is really overpowered by the hops - perhaps a bit too much. There is a grape or fig taste lingering in the background, with a surge of bitterness in the finish. Not quite what I was expecting. Mouthfeel is full-bodied. A good beer overall, but a very bold and heavy one that I'd not drink on a regular basis.

07-07-2011 02:12:10 | More by DeltaGolfSierra
doopiedoopiedoo

Netherlands

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Picked this one up during my USA trip.

Poured into a pint glass.

Comes out black, very black. Carbonation is very present. A nice two finger mocha head leaving a some lacing as the head reduces to a half finger.

Smells of dark roasted malts and chocolate. I notice a lot of hop and that gets me excited for I love hoppy stouts.

So the flavor do deliver the hop I wanted but it's lacking in some other departements. It doesn't quite give you that in your face I'm a stout feel. Sure there is some roasted malts and there is some chocolate present but it's to crisp and clean to be a real imperial stout.

It's medium bodied and extremely smooth. A little more carbonation than I'd like in my stouts.

I really enjoyed this beer. I drank one and poured me another one right after so it has to be a good beer one way or the other. I loved the hoppiness that comes with it. The rest of the flavors are a bit to clean and sterile for my likings. I guess I just like my Imperial Stouts to be dirty!

07-26-2011 00:31:05 | More by doopiedoopiedoo
Rangerator

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

This beer has a lot of hype, with having such a large following I had to cave in and try it. Poured into a snifter from a bottle, beautiful black body with a stunning imperial stout head. First sip..boom lots of carbination almost too much almost burned my mouth, I didnt like that so I let it sit for a few minutes to warm up and still too much carbination which I did not enjoy at all kind of killed it for me. Good beer just too much carb definitely a lot of other Imperials out there that are better. Check out Moylans Imperial its a lot more satisfying.

09-27-2011 04:29:59 | More by Rangerator
brewyou2

Oklahoma

well, it's a stout.

smells like roasted cocoa beans, head like rocky sea foam, feels like velvet across my tongue and tastes like an unsweetened, dark chocolate brownie with powdered sugar on top. I will stock more of these in my cellar when I get my allowance.

11-08-2011 03:49:48 | More by brewyou2
travolta

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

App: As black as they come, ruby and black coffee around the edges of my glass will just barely peak through. Chocolate milk colored, frothy head. Nice retention.

Nose: Nice with upfront chocolate, but just a little. A bit of espresso beans.

Taste: Nicely roasted with an alcohol taste lingering. Very well carbonated for the style. Some very dark fruit, like blackberry, at the end, just before it almost all fades away.

Notes: A total classic. Very nice on it's own, but could beat up anything else you are eating/drinking.

02-08-2012 02:46:58 | More by travolta
mdhobbs

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

I am surprised at the varying tastes/appearance etc... of Imperial Russian Stouts. This experience was definitely a good one. A very good rich stout that pour nice and dark with very little head. There is very little fragrance with this pour so the taste will need to make or break this review. Well, it made it. A very tasty stout that does not linger too long in the mouth. Very drink-able and well worth the purchase.

12-11-2013 19:12:22 | More by mdhobbs
silverblaze540

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Very dark and poured with a fairly large head. Nothing is really visible through the beer. Head dissipates very quickly.

S - Very strong (and delicious) smell at first, but dissipates pretty quickly. Sweet, with strong smell of chocolate and hints of coffee.

T - Sweet when it first touches the tongue. Light carbonation and light alcohol taste. Very smooth, with good balance of flavors. Coffee and bitter aftertaste.

M - Very very thick and heavy. Not much carbonation or alcohol taste, especially for a 9%.

O - Best stout I have had. I like the initial sweetness, and the smell was very delicious when I first poured, and, with the thick head, it made my mouth water. The bitter aftertaste lingers for a bit, but it is not that strong. The head and smell dissipate quickly. Still, an enjoyable beer.

01-10-2014 05:01:58 | More by silverblaze540
taez555

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

This beer poured a dark black body with a slight red tint in the right light. It had a thick creamy light brown/tannish head.

The nose was rather sweet. Slightly earthy. Brown sugar, molases, dark malts, alcohol. It was actually a little tricky to make out, not as prominant as I expected.

The taste was a very meaty full bodied. Very fine high level of carbonation. A very sharp initial roasted barley bitterness started it off. It was almost metallic. Burnt chocolate, unsweetened chocolate. Coffee beans. An intense coffee/espresso bean type bitterness. The sort of bitterness you get when chomping on dry espresso beans all day. Or like overly bitter black coffee. Some nice earthy hop flavors. But mostly just the intense coffee flavor and bitterness.

This beer ended bitter, but a bit more subdued. It deffinatly took it's time to fade.

Overall it's not a bad beer by any means. A classic Russian Imperial Stout. Extremely drinkable. But just a little too much of the coffee bitterness for me.

08-23-2003 08:29:03 | More by taez555
filabrazilia

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a "midnight without a moon" black with a gorgeous brown head that settles into excellent lacing. A very nice looking beer.

I am struck by how much chocolate exists in the nose. This is like opening a box of fine imported chocolates and allowing the smells to embrace you as you anticipate the first taste. Toffe and carmel are present as well.

The taste, unfortunately does not match the aroma and is nowhere near as complex or as smooth as I anticipated. It is a tad bitter--I suppose from the roasted malts. There were some pronounced alcohol flavors as well. While not bad, I'm a little disappointed with it.

This is a medium bodied beer that is mildly carbonated and pleasant on the palate.

This is not nearly as drinkable as I'd like it to be. I think I will let the remaining beers age for a while before I try it again. The taste just didn't quite match the smell or the appearance. Hopefully time will give it some more character.

01-31-2004 17:09:05 | More by filabrazilia
bark

Sweden

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The colour is pitch dark; the beige-brown foam forms a thin compact head.

The smell is dry and robust with flavours of coffee, lemons, liquorice, roasted malt, white bread, and porridge rolled oats.

The carbonation is fresh and surprisingly strong, but it suits the beer fine.

The first taste is a creamy one with a touch of cocoa. It develops into a dry, very bitter flavour with some citric notes. The body is rather weak, or is it just hiding below all that bitterness? The aftertaste is long and generous with a touch of alcohol, a sourish, burned bitterness and some black coffee.

A fine (very American) stout, but I could wish for some more body.

03-02-2005 21:42:58 | More by bark
redwolf1

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured four 12-ounce bottles of Old Rasputin over the course of a week to give me some time to properly judge the contents. Dark black charcoal in color with a rich frothy light mocha head, which was thicker than I had anticipated. Moderate lacing around the glass. There was a subtle smokiness in the aroma after pouring; however, the smell of dark roasted malts and coffee abound afterwards. As for taste, a little bitter at first, which mellowed with time. A very good beer to sink your teeth into, real chewy. Didn't get that warm alcohol feeling while drinking this one like you do with some others, so I would say that the alcohol is pretty well hidden until you finish the bottle. For overall drinkability though, I would think some people would stop with one or two. At 9%ABV, it will hit you. Good thing, it comes only in 4-packs in my area.

01-24-2006 03:34:40 | More by redwolf1
trekbiker3000

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

As a person that enjoys stouts I looked forward to trying this brew. The color wasn't as black as I expected, but still a very nice dark brown. Before I was finished admiring the appearance and nice frothy head, I caught a whiff of the sweet malt aroma, and a hint of the alcohol.

A rich malty flavor, but there was a noticeable alcohol kick. The roasted malts really come through. The carbonation seemed a little rough, but ok. As for the drinkability, I would find it hard to have more than one or two of these at a sitting.

09-22-2007 17:21:38 | More by trekbiker3000
Klgkenny

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into a transparent, thick glassed tumbler; medium aggressive pour.

Pour produced a medium sized tan head which receded after 2-3 minutes leaving behind spotty lacing. The beer is almost black. It does not let any light pass through.

Aroma of copper is most prominent, with secondary aromas of earth and charred wood.

Tastes of copper and earth. As it rolls around the mouth slight taste of hops and chocolate, just the barest of hints.

Feels like a lightly carbonated zero weight oil in the mouth.

This is a highly drinkable beer, but everything seems just a little short of bold. It's just one or two points outside of extraordinary. I wouldn't turn it down if it were free, but there has to be something better from the genre.

12-14-2008 02:49:18 | More by Klgkenny
RickKrumenacker

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

A: Pours black as night. One-finger, chocolate milk colored head. Great lacing throughout the beer.

S: Initially boozy. Dark chocolate and intense roasted coffee as it warms. I think that I also picked up some molassas.

T: Strong dark coffee dominates the flavor, but it doesn't mask the alcohol. A little bitter.

M: Tighter carbonation than expected. Warming on the back of the throat. A little thinner than I expected.

D: Stong and intense flavors mean that you will spend a little bit of time finishing this one. Very good.

01-04-2009 02:46:22 | More by RickKrumenacker
BirdFlu

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Rasputin was one of the first good bers I ever had... this was a long time ago, however, before I knew anything about good beers and so back then the only thing I thought about it was "wow, this is really thick...".. So all these years later and I finally tried it again...
it pours nicely and is like any other good RIS, dark black and with a tan head, etc... the aroma is chocolatey with a bit of espresso..
The main thing I have to say about it now is that it is very smokey. Its got a very smokey, burnt bread taste and aftertaste to it. It has a bitterness that is really similar to black coffee.. I wished it was a bit sweeter.
It's definitely a fine stout and I can understand why it has such a high rating, but I think it could stand to be just a tad bit sweeter to give more balance to the smoke/burnt bread taste and mouth feel.
This may be jsut due to personal taste and all, I wouldn't go out of my way to pick it over say Founders breakfast or a Yeti or a stout such as those, however...

01-06-2009 06:42:18 | More by BirdFlu
tittymcj

Connecticut

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Split Old Rasputin with William Pang (Queens, NY).

Pours out a very dark black/brown. No light gets through this one at all. Fairly thin tan head, and extremely little lacing.

The smell is, typically, a dark roasted coffee and chocolate one. However, there is a bit of fruit following up, possibly raisin.

The taste is primarily the roasted coffee, with a lot of sweet malt flavor. There is a bit of hoppy bitterness, but nothing to compete with the malts.

The mouthfeel is actually extremely light for this kind of beer. Very heavily carbonated, and this leads it to turn to foam once it hits saliva. A thin coffee-bean aftertaste lingers on the taste buds afterward.

Very drinkable beer because of it's thin body, but not one that I necessarily want to drink more than one of at a time, just because it wasn't that outstanding.

02-01-2009 19:42:03 | More by tittymcj
joshuadlight

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

A - Deep dark black, thin off-white head that I expected to be bigger and darker. Not too much lacing to boot. But, it is one dark beer.

S - Cinnamon and roasted smokey malts. I was expecting a little more considering the style.

T - To me, taste is most important, and OR delivered. Chocolate, roasty malts, espresso, even the faint sweetness of marshmallows. It was full of strong flavors that we were not compromised in their individuality.

M - Pretty good for a stout. Rolled through the mouth pretty well. Not too sticky or thick.

D - I don't think I could handle 3-4 OR in a session. Too much going on with too much alcohol to contend with. Plus, I paid more than $3 a 12oz bottle for these things, which doesn't help the drinkability one bit.

02-25-2009 04:13:00 | More by joshuadlight
squaremile

Oregon

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a standby for a lot of folks including myself. When I want an RIS and want to spend $2, Old Raspy is there, like a non-pretentious gradeschool friend. Black pour, small/medium head, some lacing, and the nose is roasted malts and coffee. The flavor is much more of the same with espresso dominating. On nitro tap the punch is relaxed and the mouthfeel is foamy goodness.

Serving type: nitro-tap

10-18-2009 07:35:31 | More by squaremile
semibaked

Kentucky

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Pour into a curved pint glass

A - It is a RIS so of course it pours black duh! It produces about a couple of inches of light airy foam from an aggressive pour into the glass.

S - Roasted malt sweetness, molasses, weak coffee, and vanilla.

T - First thing I notice is the hop bitterness which I didn't expect but it is good, some dark chocolate and light caramel.

M - Pretty much like coffee nothing great at all.

D - Goes down easy especially for a RIS, but there are alot better choices in the style than this, but it is a good price for the quality.

02-28-2010 03:23:01 | More by semibaked
rawthar

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

A- Nice, thick , pitch motor oil and tar. Quickly dissipating head that leaves a coffee film. Looks exactly the way an RIS should.

S- Very rich aroma. Coffee is definitely the star of the show, but it is happy to share the spotlight with the supporting cast: Roasted malt, smoke, burnt wood, a hint of baker's chocolate and some booze.

T- Bitter, rich, toasty roasted coffee, a hint of woodland smoke.

M- Some creamy carbonation and a bit of an oily thickness.

D- This is a man's meal of a beer, good enough to drink a whole case, just on 24 different nights.

06-02-2010 02:20:33 | More by rawthar
caddybuyer

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter

A-Black as night. Faint ruby highlights when held to the light but other than that, utter blackness. Thick creamy brown head that laces nicely.

S-Have you ever been to Hershey? It smells like Old Rasputin. Coccoa nubs, roasted chicory, a hint of anise and licorice. A bit of alcohol in the background

T-The palate begins with bitterness, the roasted cocoa and chickory so present in the nose explodes onto the palate, yet, unexpectedly, here come some citrus hops, slighly out of place, yet keeping things a bit interesting. The hops follow out to the finish in a tingling and astringent manner. This is a nice and bitter RIS, but I would rate it much higher if it had a bit of sweetness to even it all out.

M-Full bodied with even carbonation. Well done.

D-I adored the anniversary stout, and like this, but it feels a bit off balance, like it needs some age to mellow out. Decent beer, but I'll steer straight for the Ten Fidy before buying another pack of this.

08-23-2010 23:04:08 | More by caddybuyer
jlb502

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Though I love the style, Old Rasputin has never been a favorite of mine. Generally I've found it a little too acrid and roasted for my tastes. Well I don't know if it's me, this bottle, or some combination of the two but this particular bottle is probably the best Old Rasputin I've ever had. It's been sitting for a month which I wouldn't assume is long enough to make it so much smoother and more palatable than the rest of the four-pack, but who knows?

Looks good, smells fine but taste is where this one really shines. The best way I can describe it is Abyss Light. Licorice, molasses, a roasted quality that isn't over the top. Not too syrupy. Maybe a touch over-carbed but combined with the medium body, it makes it about as sessionable as an RIS can be.

05-20-2011 00:19:53 | More by jlb502
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.