Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros

SarahJ0418, Jan 29, 2014

cbros, Nov 22, 2013

RamboDog, Sep 12, 2013

Jaru1026, Oct 02, 2013

poured into a snifter

this thing pours like motor oil. a deep deep coco color with a whispy tan head.

smells like a chocolate expresso. Lots of coco, roasted malt, coffee. main up front aroma is the chocolate though. tastes very roasted coffee malts. full bodied, very creamy and chewey. Almost like a coffee chocolate milk shake. very rich and enjoyable. giving stone IRS a run for its money, but i think stone still has the lead in my heart.

Anthony1, Aug 18, 2009

shick1, Nov 21, 2012

HawkIPA, Aug 19, 2013

Abe_Froman, Apr 02, 2012

joegdmb, Friday at 03:15 AM

vtn, Feb 09, 2013

Lovethemhopps, Sep 04, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Given my handle on BA, I figured I ought to review this fine beer.

I could not in good conscience give an all 5 rating for the simple fact that *nothing* is perfect and without room for improvement. But to be perfectly honest, I can not find anything wrong with this beer.

This pours a deep brown that under normal light appears black (opaque), held up to light though, you should see a nice reddish-brown tint at the bottom edges in particular.

The head is a somewhat thin layer of dark tan foam made up of larger sized bubbles (as opposed to say a tightly packed head of a Guinness Draught, for example). In the glass in front of me, the head eventually settles to a small desert island in the middle of a black sea - with a thin ring around the edge of the glass.

I have a hard time describing tastes and smells, but I'll try my best here. The aroma is a pleasant fruity, sweet smell, and I'm pretty sure I smell chocolate or even coffee in there too. The taste is about the same as the aroma, only with the taste of alcohol in there. But for a higher alcohol content beer, I'm still surprised as to how subtle it is. I have to agree with the last reviewer on the aftertaste, it has a bitterness to it that is not unlike coffee - so if you enjoy a cup of joe every so often, as I do, I would think you might enjoy this.

The mouthfeel is fairly unique - it's a sharp feeling, but it's not a bad or burning sensation. I would think it might have something to do with carbonation, but there is a relatively small head, so I'm honestly not sure on this one...

As for drinkability, this is a beer with a lot of flavor and body, so as long as I drink it slowly and deliberately, it's very drinkable.

Anyways, if you are a fan of darker beers, stouts, porters, etc, I would say poney up the cash and buy a 4-pack of this, you will not regret it. If you are not much into the style, I would say this is the king of (relatively) available Imperial Stouts (well, in my opinion, perhaps it shares that title with Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout), so why not sample the best of the style?

RasputinsRevenge, Feb 25, 2004

MisfitIK-9, Jul 08, 2014

pandatron, Feb 15, 2013

oldsmuggler, Jan 15, 2012

MikieV, Jul 15, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

What you read is what you get from this classic RIS. I could imagine this beer being served at a round table in the mid century. Nothing unusual out of the beer or pretentious. This just nails what an RIS originally was.

A - A dark black with a small lacing hits the glass. Not much lacing. This has a minimal head.

S - Immediately the smell of cocoa and coffee beans hit you.

T - This has a very smooth texture with strong flavoring of dark chocolate. I think I just drank a Hershey Dark Chocolate candy bar.

M - Smooth, Creamy and a great mix of carbonation. This beer is right on.

D - I prefer this on a cold winters night, but this beer satisfies my craving every time.

I love this simplistic approach to an old style beer. I guess that's what makes it so popular and the first RIS for most people to venture into.

Patchmaster, Aug 15, 2010

NoProblem, Dec 22, 2012

ericj551, Jan 23, 2013

CheftoDeath, Nov 30, 2013

BrewStrong2156, May 14, 2014
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.