Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 11,057 | Reviews: 3,573
3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Half the glass was head. A fluffy one.

T: Sweet. Almost nutty. Quintessential RIS.

M: Chewy.

D: A bit heavy to be highly drinkable.

O: Worth the price? Yes. I think a four pack was $9. Recommend? Yes. Search out? Maybe not, but a pick-up-while-it's-there beer. Buy again? I'm sure.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

4 pack from Bevmo in West Hollywood, Ca. No freshness date.

Poured into a snifter. I've had this beer a couple of times over the years, but I figured it was time to give it a proper review.

A: Dark as night, with a thick, creamy head. ( no innuendo intended). Alot of carbonation from the bottom of the bottle, which I think may have affected my tasting score. ALOT of lacing to the sides of the glass.

S: Toasted acorn, some coffee, and subtle chocolate notes. There is a stronger presence of roasted sugar/caramel than chocolate or coffee in my opinion. Alcohol is present.

T: Massive cocoa and toasted caramel notes at the front. A bitter and boozy bite towards the end of the taste. Some coffee notes linger around, but this is a chocolate milkshake on steroids for sure. I have had this on tap, and know how rich and velvety this things can get under the BEST conditions. But, I am not completely BLOWN away in bottle form.

M: Chocolate milk feel in the mouth.

O: A good stout to have on a cold night. 9% ABV and the price per bottle(1.99/per in a 4 pack) make this an incredibly good deal for such a highly alcoholic, and well made beer. A

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

I've had this beer in lots of different ways - on tap, in bottle, and most recently, on nitro tap. This is a very different beer in those three modes, I think. Bottle I would rate the worst, then normal tap, then nitro-tap. Thus, I'm reviewing the nitro-tap version here:

A: Black like black. Black black black. Like black, blackly. Blackiest blackity black. Head is light cocoa. Very distinct difference between the head the liquid once the nitro pour settles given the color of said liquid, which is, how to say... black.

S: Distinct hop presence in the nose, but not nearly as prevalent in the nitro pour as in the normal tap version. Non-nitro, I remember being a little scared of this one upon smelling because there were wicked strong hop and roasted chocolate notes. Almost cindery notes. These are there in the nitro pour, but not nearly as ... loudly.

T: This beer does not mess around. It will hunt you down in the dead cold of winter, shoot you, and dump you in the river, standing there while you slip under the ice. It will then go and make love to your sister. It will remain unshaven through all that. That said, on nitro, it will shave. It will also perhaps give you a nice fur hat to wear before all that. Huge biting hop bitterness and full roasted, smokey malt with big coffee and chocolate tongue anvils.

M: On nitro, surprisingly creamy and full given my experience with this being a dryer, more abrupt beer when on tap normally.

D: It's probably just me, but I can't really drink more than one of these at a sitting. I could, but it's just a bit much.

Overall a delicious beer and one of the better Imperial Stouts out there, imho, but the style is not of great drinkability to me.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

A nice black Imperial stout body with a slightly tan head. It smelled like coffee and a little bit of chocolate. The taste was very smooth with light carbonation and a very heavy taste of coffee/espresso and a little bit of chocolate. I could see how the coffee taste could be overpowering for some. I’m not a huge stout fan but I could actually drink a couple of these and have no problem. A brew that even Rasputin himself could be proud of.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This one pours dark as night and leaves a nice creamy head. The smell is very intoxicating hints of fruit, chocolate, and coffee. The taste was smooth but stayed on the top of my mouth with a bit of bitterness. After a couple of more drinks this one got a little more tamer as far as bitterness is concerned. I would not recommend this if you do not like strong stout beers this one wont be for you.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured this into a snifter and it had a thick tan head. It smells strong of espresso and dark chocolate. It tastes just like it smells, strong espresso and dark chocolate. There is a hint of alcohol as it warms the back of the throat. This beer is thick and creamy almost like a meal in of itself. One of the most robust stouts I have tried to date.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured this small capped bottle into a snifter.

Dark, but not pitch black, this one has an occasional dark red highlight going through the darkness. It has a creammy, light brown head with average retention and some lacing.
aves a bit to be desired as well.
Nice aroma of dark chocolate, some fruity hoppiness and coffee opens way to a full-bodied brew, with bittersweet chocolate, unsweetened and at times burnt coffee and a bitter, dry hoppy finish.
Nice, but the aftertaste is slightly unbalanced, dry and hoppy, at least for me.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Pot at Terminus. From notes.

A - Poured black with a khaki one finger heat. Good rings of lace and a film of retention.

S - Coffee seemed strong with lot's of chocolate. Simple but enjoyable.

T - Chocolate, booze, chocolate covered coffee beans. layers of chocolate and roastiness.

M - Really smooth, mild carbonation and a medium to full body.

O/D - Nice but lacking depth. Don't get me wrong though, this was a good Impy Stout and really easy to drink. Just left me wanting more as I felt like it had the potential for greatness.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

This Russian Imperial Stout is dark/rich tar in color with a nice tan head. The lace cascades down in spotty trails. The aroma is a multi-directional bombardment of coffee mocha, malt, hops and alcohol. The ample citrus and metallic hops are almost overwhelming. A hint of apples and sherry-like flavors weave in and out as does coffee & chocolate. Sweet! Strongly alcoholic and complex. Almost too much at once with little thought to balance...maybe that was the intention to begin with?

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Poued very dark, was in a dark pub when I tried it, but almost no light breaking through this dark mahogany beauty. Think white-brown head, that left substantial lacing

Smelled like a stout, chocolate and malts, but a sliht hoppy-citrus note in there too

Hops and floral mixture, which was really suprising, then the malt and chocolate hit after.

Heavy, full meal-like mouthfeel.

Drank a couple and that was good enough. A little too heavy for a session beer, but nice for just a couple

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

quaffed a few of these last month and support the previous reviews ..quite good,,,
so if your'e out perousing the local ale outlet and stumble acros this fine ale buy it ..buy it now you''ll enjoy this ale...doggone text counters its all good,,mmm...

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

This beer has a lot of hype, with having such a large following I had to cave in and try it. Poured into a snifter from a bottle, beautiful black body with a stunning imperial stout head. First sip..boom lots of carbination almost too much almost burned my mouth, I didnt like that so I let it sit for a few minutes to warm up and still too much carbination which I did not enjoy at all kind of killed it for me. Good beer just too much carb definitely a lot of other Imperials out there that are better. Check out Moylans Imperial its a lot more satisfying.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

When I first opened the bottle I took a little sniff. My first impression was chocolate and alcohol. Almost like a chocolate cordial. Dark chocolatey appearance small head that started to dissolve immediately. First sip was roasty tasting with bitter chocolate notes at the back. Wow this is a smooth Stout. A little on the bitter side but malt is seeming to wrestle for advantage. It's warming up now and I start to smell coffee or espresso. This is a great stout and deserving of it's wide praise. If it weren't for the bitterness I'd give it an even higher rating. Just my opinion.

12oz. poured into tulip glass

Appearance: Pours extremely dark with no transparency and a generous amount (about two inches) of tan head.

Smell: Reminds me of a standard RIS but smokier. Dark chocolate, coffee, and maybe a little tobacco detected.

Taste: Good stuff but I can't believe this isn't a smoked stout. All the flavors (chocolate, nut, coffee) are all backed by a strong smokiness. Not to say that's a bad thing, it's nice actually, I'm just surprised.

Mouthfeel: Good. Nice amount of carbonation, not too overpoweringly thick.

Drinkability: This brew is actually lighter than I expected so that ups the drinkability slightly, but it's 9% so it's not like you're going to be drinking this one all night.

Overall: I enjoyed this brew. It has a very solid flavor to it and is relatively easy to drink. Personally I enjoy a little more dark fruit flavor to my imperial stouts but that by no means is to say I don't like Old Rasputin. I understand why this is such a highly rated beer. I will be picking this one up again.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance: Deep black with ruby highlights, decent head

Smell: Chocolate, fudge, roasted malt, coffee

Taste: Roasted black malt, chocolate, coffee, licorice, plums

Mouthfeel: Bit chewy, but nothing like those who dominate the style, a bit sweet and sticky

Drinkability: average for the style

3.89/5  rDev -9.5%

a- deep brown with a nice light brown fluffy head

s- toasted malts, coffee

t/m- very unexpectedly bitter, light hops, plum is apparent, fueled by the toasted malts and strong coffee, paired with a not-too-strong carbonation

d- great example of what makes a RIS so tasty

3.89/5  rDev -9.5%

Blacker than the blackest night in the glass. A semi-soft pour garners an astounding 4 finger head that isn't going anywhere 3 minutes later. You could float a toy boat on top.

Aroma is less present, I smell the coffee and the Earth, and a few bitter hops. A little musty actually. Not much else. And not strongly even when snuffling big.

Taste is subdued, like the aroma. Good, not my favorite taste but very good. Coffee for sure, some dark roasty chocolate, there's a malt squeezing in there somewhere but very subtly blended. No overthrows of flavor on either end, which I assume is a good thing. Me, I'm looking for sweeter, but with this RIPA - I understand.

Booze is well hidden, but creeps up on you.

The mouthfeel is great, but dry and leaves a bit of a secondary hops taste as it departs. Good for some, not for me. Still - I understand.

Very respectable. It would get higher marks form me but the mustiness is a little off-putting.

Served on-tap.

A: The head blooms beautifully and lingers resiliently–it seems to stick to the sides of the glass as if it were starch. Pitch dark brown with only a glimmer of dark red when held up to light.

S: Very strong–almost smells somewhere in between a 75%-100% Dark Chocolate. Hops aromas barely shine through.

T: Complex. Flavors include the Crema of a Ristretto Espresso Shot; Dark, Dark Chocolate; and fresh cream. Ends with some sweet hops.

M: Nice, but on the boundary between "rich" and "sticky"

3.89/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours very dark, but still I can see some ruby hints around the edges, may be lighter/different in color than the average RIS. The head is kind of thin (<1cm) and dense, which leaves bits of lacing down as I drink. The smell is filled with sweetness, but deep in there are dried fruits (maybe from some esters or the black patent), the roasted barley - coffee type smell, and a light nose of chocolate. I can imagine a better smell, in terms of complexity, this one is about normal, but because its so intense, the smell is very much more inviting. The taste is very complex, and includes all of the usual suspects. The first sip has this dark, overripe plum taste, almost a hint of slick dark tartness, but with a pleasant sweetness. Then comes the coffee flavor, just flavor - no bitterness, and the sweetness still lingers, up until the last bite of chocolate. A roastiness fills as it goes down, again with the dried fruits, but overall pleasant. The mouthfeel is nice, pretty full, but kind of slick, this one fits the bill in terms out mouthfeel, but isn't a standout. An easy drinker for sure, I mean, you have to sip, but easy, good for the style. Recommended for an easily accessible RIS.

3.89/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance- Pitch black with a mocha head

Aroma- Heavy on the milk chocolate with slight coffee notes too.

Taste- Much more balanced between the chocolate and coffee than the nose lets on. Roasted barely/coffee noticeable at first then it leads into creamy chocolate in the finish.

Feel- On the thinner side for a imperial stout and a bit too creamy of a texture.

Overall- A very good imperial stout, but not quite as full bodied and full flavored as some other imperial stouts. Yet, this still has a lot going for it such as its balance between chocolate and coffee, its drinkability (no alcohol noticeable), and the price point ($9). (89/100)

3.89/5  rDev -9.5%

A= pours a depp black with a perfect two finger head that's a dark tan almost brown color. Great thick marshmellowy retention and lacing.
S= dark coffee and chocolate some figs and darkfruit. Not as pungent as I wanted or expcected. There's also a touch of booze.
T= dark toasted malts up front sort of burnt smokyness as well. Dark chocolate touches and is followed by lots of coffee. There's a lot of dark fruits as well. Really underrated flavor.
M= thick and chewy with a suprisingly crisp finish. Coats the entire mouth well.
D= great brew. Could be a littlesmoother really great overall though sort of reminds me of why I started drinking good beer.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

An amazing beer and terrific in a special very American way. Taste and look were the best part of the beer,with smell lacking for an Imperial Stout.
My opinion is that even though this is an American Classic, this beer is really an over grown American/Foreign Extra Stout.

Imperial Stouts are billed as having aromas of dark fruit, burnt sugar, and aggressive yeast aromas and traditionally if true "English Stouts" don't have such a heavy Rbarley/coffee note.

Despite this, the beer was soooo drinkable and I love idea of an overgrown carrying a big stick stout.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours black with a dark reddish brown head about half an inch high. Beautiful appearance.

Flavors of bitter chocolate and roasted grains hit me first. I took the first sip cold, but as this beer warms it develops nicely, losing some of the bitterness over time. The smell develops as it warms, too. From now on I will cool this beer to just under room temperature and end it.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

This was one of the first "big" beers I had a few years ago, but I haven't had it for quite a long time. Old Rasputin is one of those beers that it's easy to take for granted, given it's fairly wide availability. Ran into it on tap today, and decided to give an old friend a try. Served in a chalice glass.

The pour yields little head (perhaps due to the width of the chalice opening), but the carbonation is surprisingly zesty and long lasting. The head lingers til the end with a bit of lacing. The beer itself is near black and opaque

Nothing jumps out aroma-wise other than nicely toasted malt and chocolate, but the first sip reveals a lively combination of bitter chocolate, milk chocolate, fig newtons, raisins, and a nice bitter bite of hops on the finish.

The mouthfeel is pretty good, as the zippy carbonation makes up for a thinner body than I expected. At 9%, the drinkability is pretty dangerous- this one goes down nice and smooth!

Very solid beer, and again, one that it's easy to take for granted without the buzz of a seasonal release. Good stuff, and I'm glad to have found it on tap. I'm planning on grabbing a 4-pack or two to throw in the cellar and see what happens. Nice to see you again, old friend!

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

This stuff pours pretty black. It looks very nice with a small, espresso-crema looking head. The nose is a bit weak, pretty much smelling a non-descript brown. The taste is the best part here, some coffee and chocolate notes, not overly sweet or bitter, but pretty well balanced except for the coffee which stands out front. The mouthfeel is fuzzy and full, pretty nice. I like it, and the price is certainly right compared to other RIS.

EDIT - Each time I have this I like it less. I like my stouts on the less bitter side, I guess. I've got one stashed in the cellar for a year or more so that I can do a side by side with a fresh bottle and see if that helps it for me.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.