Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 11,059 | Reviews: 3,574
3.85/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Very dark and poured with a fairly large head. Nothing is really visible through the beer. Head dissipates very quickly.

S - Very strong (and delicious) smell at first, but dissipates pretty quickly. Sweet, with strong smell of chocolate and hints of coffee.

T - Sweet when it first touches the tongue. Light carbonation and light alcohol taste. Very smooth, with good balance of flavors. Coffee and bitter aftertaste.

M - Very very thick and heavy. Not much carbonation or alcohol taste, especially for a 9%.

O - Best stout I have had. I like the initial sweetness, and the smell was very delicious when I first poured, and, with the thick head, it made my mouth water. The bitter aftertaste lingers for a bit, but it is not that strong. The head and smell dissipate quickly. Still, an enjoyable beer.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

I had this beer about 8 months ago, without any real knowledge, I decided to try it again, and see if I liked it better...

A: The apperance is dark black, with hues of deep brown and chocolate. The head forms nice and quick with a darker brown/tan tone.

S: It smells of faint alcohol but more so chocolate with mild coffee/vanilla/caramel.

T: I pick up a lingering alochol taste on the finish. Before it gets there though, lots of caramel and vanilla. Robust coffee and chocolate. It got a lot smoother once it warmed up a bit, but still a lot boozy, the notes did get more noticable.

M/D: The carbonation was moderate, but I didn't find it very thick and creamy. It seemed thin and watery. I didn't hate this beer, the texture just seemed a little strange.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

A - nice dark color, did not pour with a great head, but was pouring from a really cold bottle.

S - not inky black, but nice and chocolaty with a hint of coffee

T - tasted great, not too bitter, lingering chocolaty aftertaste

M - good carbonation, well balanced without a strong aftertaste

D - I could drink a couple of these back to back to back easily. It is a good stout that does not overpower the palate with a nice chocolaty taste.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Reviewed on 8/5/08. Bottle. Pours black with a small light tan head. Aroma of chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, cookie dough, caramel, nougat, and truffles. Wow. Flavor of roast, coffee, and bitter hops. Sweet roasted malt emerges as the beer warms. A bit heavy (alcohol-wise). Good impy!
8/4/8/4/15 (3.9/5)

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I have had this before without rating, and recall enjoying it. I had the nitro for this review, so ratings are adjusted accordingly.

A: probably thanks to the nitro in part, this beer almost epitomized what I expect a stout to look like. Dark brown-to-black with great head, tan in color and sustaining, with decent lacing
S: I am missing what I expect, instead of roastiness, I am getting a wet cardboard, but it's not very strong
T: smooth, as I expect a nitro. Roasted malt has cocoa taste to begin, with some light bitterness turning it towards coffee, kinda like mocha.
M: there is a coating mild bitterness, not strong but pretty on point to me.
O: I probably have to try the regular bottle or tap to see for certain. Given some of the Imperial Stouts I've had, this is missing some bite. However, in my experience one can question how the nitro affected it. That said, I could probably get in trouble drinking a few of these down quickly and smoothly.

3.84/5  rDev -10.7%

Perfect head and lacing. Medium bodied with medium flavor. Slight hint of carbonation. Very enjoyable. Frustrating that it is relatively unusual that a solid RIS is available year-round. Might not grab this when certain other ones are in season, but a good one this is.

3.84/5  rDev -10.7%

12oz bottle purchased from Shangy's. Poured into a regular pint glass.

A: Dark as all get-out. Something to behold... made the glass look like it had been painted black on the inside. 2 fingers of tan head, persistent lacing.

S: Quite boozy (imagine that!) with lots of roasted coffee and some dark chocolate. As it warmed, got too complex for my nose to properly analyze. Lots going on under that alcohol smell.

T: Surprisingly good, especially given the assaulting nature of Russian Imperials. Not as much hops as others I've tried. Was expecting more of a boozy taste, but found lots of sweet, bitter, and even creamy flavors.

M: Not too heavy, with enough carbonation to keep things clean. Not easy to do with so much power.

D: About as good as you can get for this style. I've finished other imperials out of principal... leave no respectable beer unfinished. I can drink 2-3 of these and not regret it too much, although the avalanche of dark flavors might render my tastebuds useless for the next week.

Impressive beer. I applaud North Coast for not dumbing this one down one bit. I'm still not a big fan of the style, but this is my favorite Russian Imperial Stout by a solid margin.

3.84/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The colour is pitch dark; the beige-brown foam forms a thin compact head.

The smell is dry and robust with flavours of coffee, lemons, liquorice, roasted malt, white bread, and porridge rolled oats.

The carbonation is fresh and surprisingly strong, but it suits the beer fine.

The first taste is a creamy one with a touch of cocoa. It develops into a dry, very bitter flavour with some citric notes. The body is rather weak, or is it just hiding below all that bitterness? The aftertaste is long and generous with a touch of alcohol, a sourish, burned bitterness and some black coffee.

A fine (very American) stout, but I could wish for some more body.

3.84/5  rDev -10.7%

Dark black pour, ruby highlight, thick frothy tan head. Strong chocolate aroma. Quite a bit of alcohol on the nose and a fair amount of dark roasted coffee with some smoky hops. Very chocolaty flavor with a fair amount of burnt coffee beans. The alcohol is very noticeable. Body is full and creamy with more notable alcohol warming. As this one warmed up more I'm finding the body and the malts a tad bit thin for an Imperial Stout. I would almost compare this more to a good Baltic Porter. I know I'm nitpicking on that issue, but I couldn't think of any other way to make note of my observation.

3.84/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured out of a stubby bottle with a picture of the Russian mystic on the label (I am assuming this is Rasputin, as I have never seen other pictures of him). When poured into my trusty goblet, the dark brown body is nearly completely opaque, but displays red highlights at the edges when held up against the light. The head is brown in color, massive in size (at least three inches), and has the consistency to stand up on its own above the rim of the glassware. This is one impressive looking beer indeed. The aroma is a mixture of medicinal alcohol, and powdered cocoa, and is relatively mild. The taste is like roasted cracked grain, bitter coffee, unsweetened dark chocolate, dark skinned dried fruits, and charred wood. Very pronounced hop bitterness and a very dry aftertaste are also present, as is the noticeable warming effect of the significant alcohol content. Mouthfeel is soft and soothing, but a bit thinner than what I anticipated. Very good representation of the style, but a bit less in your face than others like Victory Storm King Stout.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter

A-Black as night. Faint ruby highlights when held to the light but other than that, utter blackness. Thick creamy brown head that laces nicely.

S-Have you ever been to Hershey? It smells like Old Rasputin. Coccoa nubs, roasted chicory, a hint of anise and licorice. A bit of alcohol in the background

T-The palate begins with bitterness, the roasted cocoa and chickory so present in the nose explodes onto the palate, yet, unexpectedly, here come some citrus hops, slighly out of place, yet keeping things a bit interesting. The hops follow out to the finish in a tingling and astringent manner. This is a nice and bitter RIS, but I would rate it much higher if it had a bit of sweetness to even it all out.

M-Full bodied with even carbonation. Well done.

D-I adored the anniversary stout, and like this, but it feels a bit off balance, like it needs some age to mellow out. Decent beer, but I'll steer straight for the Ten Fidy before buying another pack of this.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Black with blonde head. Roasty, salt and bitter and high acid. In sip: Cinammon, rye bread, bittersweet chocolate, fruit,licorice. Could be less hoppy. Medium plus texture.

Had 4.5 years later and certainly stands up over time. There are more "big" RIS but for a bitter coffee one, this is the classic.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

A: A fingers worth of a creamy coffee colored head, good head retention. Jet black, no light seepage. A light syrupy pour.

S: First wave is coffee and vanilla. Slight burn in the nose from the alcohol. Rich toasted malty smell, with a hint of dark chocolate. Nice mellow floral undertone from the hops.

T: Espresso, burnt toast, vanilla, more bitter than sweet, tobacco character.

M: Carbonation is average-to-high. Mouth-feel is creamy but not thick.

O: Not my favorite Russian Imperial, but a solid example of the style for sure.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Purchased at Whole Foods Market in Evanston for $6.99 a four pack.

Pours out pitch black. Leaves a head of about a quarter inch of large tan bubbles. Chunky, almost like a root beer float. Leaves sticky lacing around the glass. Giving the glass a little swirl restores some of the head. Very slight amber when some light peeks through at the end of the glass. Looks good, but does not distinguish itself from other RIS's in any way.

Smells like it will be pretty potent at first. I can catch a whiff of the dark malts from about two feet away after I open the bottle. Upon closer examination, the aroma is not as big as I expected. There are the usual culprits; dark malts, chocolate, caramel and some coffee. I do get the feeling that I'm only finding all those because I expect them here. Some alcohol is present too.

Thankfully, there's more complexity to the flavor than the aroma. Big espresso bitterness dominates. Too burnt to even say that it's chocolate or coffee here. This, plus generous hopping seem a bit much. There's also a surprising citrus hop fruitiness buried in here. This score would be higher, but I'm getting an off metallic note on the finish to go with espresso. I'm glad I like espresso a lot. But even espresso has that initial hit of sweetness that I'm not really getting here. The alcohol is not a secret here.

Mouthfeel is fine. A little hot from the alcohol. Carbonation is maybe a little too much. These issues sort of go away about halfway through as the beer sits, or the effects of the alcohol kick in a bit. Pretty solid.

One of these is fine for me. I probably won't rush out to buy this again soon, although it is a pretty good value compared to trying to track down the elusive RIS's. I could see myself picking this up if I happened to have a craving for espresso in beer. I would give the nitro-tap a try though. I suspect it would improve a bit.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into an imperial pint glass. A beautiful dark brown hue with a thick two finger caramel head. Poor head retention but superior lacing.

The smell is a robust toasted barley aroma. Strong hints of coffee and subtle hints of cocoa.

The taste mirrors the aroma. A very rich roasted coffee flavor with significant lingering coffee and cocoa flavors. Pleasant flavor lasts minutes after the sip. A suprisingly slight alcohol taste considering the ABV. The balance is very good in this stout - just enough hop to moderate the roasted flavor.

The mouthfeel is rich and long lasting. The lingering flavors produce a prolonged mouthfeel.

A very drinkable 9.00% ABV beer.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Dark pour from a bottle into a wide-mouth bubble glass. Light brown head and smooth look. Copper lacing.

S: Chocolate and coffee aroma with a hint of dark fruit. delightful.

T: Again, chocolate and coffee taste with a nice dark fruit flavor. There is a bit if heat on the back end of a sip, which complements this beer nicely.

M: Decent mouthful, but not as overpowering as I thought it would be.

D: As any Russian Imperial Stout, one or two bottles may be enough. Delightful and enjoyable to the palate.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Hair of the Dog tulip.

A - Nice dark pitch black w/ a light tan head. Lots of lacing.

S - Dark roasty, bitter malts and a little burnt sugar.

T - Roasty, leathery, then a touch of sweet dark chocolate and dark fruits. Really dries out at the end with a little alcohol warmth.

M - Medium to low carbonation. Not quote silky. Enough carbonation to still tickle.

D - Medium. Richness of the malt and warming of the alcohol doesn't let you chug this one. It begs you to enjoy it.

Solid beer. Good taste and satisfies that imperial stout urge on a budget.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from 12 ounce bottle to large, open challice.

A) Very dark --black. No light passes through. Good head with decent carbonation. May have more to do with the skill of the pourer

S) Burnt coffee, spices, brown sugar

T) Very complex. The burnt coffee dominates but distinct taste of dark chocolate, raisons & caramel

M) Thick, effervescent with little alcohol on the tongue

D) A very good interpretation of Russian Imperial Stout

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Pours a very dark black with a finger of foam that sits arouund for a bit. Mild carbonation and bubbles are sitting on top of the beer. This is a very dark beer, I could swear light is bending around the glass.

S: Plesant smell with a slightly toasted malt on it, almost smells like a barrel aged Alcohol smell comes through just a bit, but the toasted malt is the strongest here.

T: Very bitter and nearly a burned malt taste to it. That type of taste stays with you after you take the sip. Its not entirely a bad thing, but seems to be overwhelming the rest of the beer.

M: Carbonation is there and strong flavor of the toasted malts in there. This is a heavy feeling beer.

O: I had some high hopes for this one, but I believe I'm glad I only picked up a single of this one rather than a 4 pack. The beer itself is pretty good, the smell, and look of it are good, but I dont like the fact that it hangs with you after the fact. It reminds me of a black licorice type taste hanging around.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The beer comes in a black color, but pours out dark brown. The head is fluffy and stays up leaving remnants on the side of the glass.

The aroma is licorice, lots of mocha with this milk chocolate and light roasted coffee. Roasted malt. Almost a peanut butter chocolate from toasted malt.

The beer has a medium light mouthfeel for the style. There's lots of dark fruit with dried dates and plum. Onto bittersweet chocolate and coffee grounds and espresso. With a combination of light bitterness and alcohol on the back.

Consistently disappointed by the light mouthfeel as it drinks like a 7% beer and lack of roasted malt flavor.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Let the stout sit out for 20 minutes then poured into my Great Divide Tulip.

Appearance-Black, like any other good RIS. Thick tan head that fades into thick lacing. Carbonation bubbles floating up the side.

Smell-Can really smell the booze. Chocolate, Malt, and alot of Espresson. I think I get some raisons in there too.

Taste-Sweet at the beginning, bitter finish. Lots of espresso and alcohol.

Mouthfeel-Thick and Creamy. Lots of carbonation.

Overall-Very drinkable beer. What makes this beer taste even better is b/c your getting a bargain, 799 a 4pk. Great beer to keep in your fridge without breaking the bank.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Rasputin was one of the first good bers I ever had... this was a long time ago, however, before I knew anything about good beers and so back then the only thing I thought about it was "wow, this is really thick...".. So all these years later and I finally tried it again...
it pours nicely and is like any other good RIS, dark black and with a tan head, etc... the aroma is chocolatey with a bit of espresso..
The main thing I have to say about it now is that it is very smokey. Its got a very smokey, burnt bread taste and aftertaste to it. It has a bitterness that is really similar to black coffee.. I wished it was a bit sweeter.
It's definitely a fine stout and I can understand why it has such a high rating, but I think it could stand to be just a tad bit sweeter to give more balance to the smoke/burnt bread taste and mouth feel.
This may be jsut due to personal taste and all, I wouldn't go out of my way to pick it over say Founders breakfast or a Yeti or a stout such as those, however...

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

A good, but not grrreat! winter beer, and a pleasant way to finish off a we-got-a-babysitter-and-went-to-see-"The King's Speech" date with my wife. Dark as a moonless night, and a decent aroma of coffee (albeit somewhat old coffee) and chocolate with a peculiar scent of lavender, which seems totally out of place but added a nice tilt to the beer. The bitterness is, relatively speaking, rather low but still elbows the malt and chocolate to the side. And then there's the ginormous head that never really goes away and is so puffy and thick that it made me want to lay my head into it and take a nap. With a dry finish and a come-from-behind alcohol smack, this is a good winter beer but somehow comes up short-- it lacks the complexity I prefer at this ABV. Good for the price.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured four 12-ounce bottles of Old Rasputin over the course of a week to give me some time to properly judge the contents. Dark black charcoal in color with a rich frothy light mocha head, which was thicker than I had anticipated. Moderate lacing around the glass. There was a subtle smokiness in the aroma after pouring; however, the smell of dark roasted malts and coffee abound afterwards. As for taste, a little bitter at first, which mellowed with time. A very good beer to sink your teeth into, real chewy. Didn't get that warm alcohol feeling while drinking this one like you do with some others, so I would say that the alcohol is pretty well hidden until you finish the bottle. For overall drinkability though, I would think some people would stop with one or two. At 9%ABV, it will hit you. Good thing, it comes only in 4-packs in my area.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Pours black as night. One-finger, chocolate milk colored head. Great lacing throughout the beer.

S: Initially boozy. Dark chocolate and intense roasted coffee as it warms. I think that I also picked up some molassas.

T: Strong dark coffee dominates the flavor, but it doesn't mask the alcohol. A little bitter.

M: Tighter carbonation than expected. Warming on the back of the throat. A little thinner than I expected.

D: Stong and intense flavors mean that you will spend a little bit of time finishing this one. Very good.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.