Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,511 | Hads: 11,235
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Midnight black with a creamy tan head....the nose on this beer is outstanding...I just want to smell it and smell it and smell it, but I figured I'd better get around to drinking it too. The nose is very heavy on the hops, with a wonderful blend of spicy, earthy, herbal hops..some chocolate on the nose too.. The hops shine through on the buds as well, but there is an excellent chocolate bite to it also...like dark semi-sweet chocolate..Body is thick, but not over thick like Bell's Expedition...this is pretty drinkable in my opinion...the only drawback to me is there is some alcohol taste evident..It finishes with the hop bite, but also with a smooth butterscotchy texture...I really like this one...rates right up there with the best.. (745 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Man, this is good. That crazy bastard that inspired the name should be proud. The booze is masterfully masked, it's hard to find fault in this brew. When I have customers looking for an Imperial Stout, I direct them to this with no reservations. (245 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Damn hotels for not having the proper glassware!
Pitch black pour with more than 2 finger light brown fluffy head. Sticky lace much later on.
Big chocolate and sweet coffee in the smell, roasted malts, alcohol (coffee-liquorish, actually), lower dark fruit.
A fruity flash at the start, with juicy plums and figs, raisin, some orange, quickly pushed away by espresso, dark chocolate, slight caramel and rich, very rich roasted malts. Dark spices, citrus peel, woody notes with some oaky vanilla. Obvious hops in the finish, but the bitterness comes from the burnt roast. So some charcoal notes and burnt coffee expected in the aftertaste.
Smooth sipper, creamy, alcohol is nicely hidden, tho some ethanol is (ok, rarely) felt. Medium carbonation. Just a bit of crispness.
Perfect example in its style, balanced and rich. (820 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%

Now this is my kind of beer. When I poured it reminded me of a syrup it looked so dark and thick. I was hoping it tasted as good as it looked. It was black! It carried a nice brown head that just hung around the top of the beer. So far so good.
The smell was quite potent. It had a hint of alchol in the nose but was was mixed really well with the chocolate and rasin like smell. It had a slight tart smell as well.
This beer packs a punch in the flavor. I have to start with the ending since it is so much of the flavor in my opinion. It lingers for awhile with a tart/bitter sweetness that I enjoyed. The start is felt right away as soon as it hit my tounge. I could taste hints of chocolate and almost grapefruit/citrus like tones in there mixed with a nice malt flavor.
This is one of my new favorite beers. (816 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep, dark brown--nearly black. Capped by a dense, creamy, cocoa brown head that laces the glass nicely. Beautiful. Aromas explode out of the tulip glass. Roaseted coffee, bittersweet dark chocolate, and dark sugary fruit mix seamlessly with an assertive pine-accented hop component. A wonderful smelling beer! Rich, roasted malt flavors up front meld with some sweetish, overripe dark fuits. Light chocolate coffee notes pick up right before a big rush of bitter hops. Cascadey and delcious, they provide nice balance. Finish is hop bitter, with vinous notes, tannins, and some warming alcohol. An excellent, full-bodied stout, that's right up there with the best of them. (681 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%

A : Pitch black with a great two finger brown foam head. Lacing is nice. This is the expected appearance of a famous RIS. It pours with a milky look to it.

S : Chocolate dominates the nose, but roasted malt, coffee, and notes of vanilla hide beneath. I'm not detecting a bit of hops.

T : Ah, there are the bitter hops. They tend to tussle with a burnt roasted malt flavor before succumbing to coffee, chocolate and sugar. It's a bit overbearing how many things are mixing here to create a unique flavor, nothing ever takes the reigns. The finish gets a final bite of bitter hope with a burnt note.

As the beer warms lots of things change. The hop profile fades almost completely as a sweet malt takes over with almost a chocolate milkness to it.

M : Thick and slick, nice to slosh around and roll over each taste bud.

D : Lives up to the reputation. Scarily drinkable at a 9%, but a meal all in itself.

A must. (920 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious, one of the best of the always available beers. Beer is a deep jet black color with a light tan/creme head. Beer has a great bitter coffee/dark chocolate taste to it with a good amount of carbonation. The beer is very smooth and refreshing for the style without losing its bitter Russian Imperial character. (320 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yesterday i drank Founders Imperial, so this review is influenced by the memory of that excellent stout. (A head to head tasting would be nice, but Holy moly, a 10.5 and a 9.0, maybe i got to clean up the house and invite about 20 people over for a proper stout tasting with about 5 bottles of imperials and some sessions for after...)

Any way, back to the review. This is solid black as a stout should be, with a two finger brown head. The aroma is a good balance of both dark malt and hop scents. My personal prejudice is that a stout is about the dark malt, to me, Old Rasputin's aroma is properly on the malty side.

The taste is well balanced. Compared to the Founder's imperial, some hops bitterness shows through, but the high alcohol is not evident in the taste; at only 9% instead of 10.5%, it is a little easier to hide.

This is certainly one of the great American stouts by reputation, and it lives up to the reputation in my tasting. I have a few more American stouts on my agenda, and then a Guinness Extra for reference. (1,038 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Wow, I have never seen a more beautiful, more appetizing beer then Old Rasputin on tap. Darkness with a perfect creamy head that resembles whip cream on hot chocolate.

Roasted aromas, chocolate and coffee.

I can tell this beer is on nitro, its almost like drinking an extremely flavorful Guiness, with all aspects enhanced. Very roasted, coffee, a little chocolate with a lingering creamy roasted aftertaste.

Absolutely amazing. Old Rasputin on Nitro is pretty much as good as it gets. (490 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Ive had the CZAR and now its time for RASPUTIN! Lets see who wins! Very black body with a small thin tan head that fells fast.Chocolate is the main smell I get out of it.There is some fruit smells under the chocolate.The taste is dynamite! The taste is fruit and expresso and damn good.I taste some bitter chocolate in the aftertaste.The mouthful is slick and thick and tasty,did I mention that already? I dont know if I could drink multiple of these cause of the abv content but it is pretty well hidden,let see when it warms.I think OLD RASPY won this war.I would say to the people who want to know what is compares between,its more bolder then Stormking but not as Czar.Very good indeed. (690 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a super black brew, a 500-watt bulb shows that this is clear with reddish highlights. If you have a 500 watt bulb or a Laser.

Smells sweet and malty, lots of flowery perfume too. I also smell chocolate, coffee and fruit.

Nice tastes of chocolate, and coffee. Sweeter flavors too like prunes, Nice but not quite what the Samuel Smith's version is.

Mouthfeel is very good.

Drinkable for what it is, a Beer H-bomb. (429 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

I have probably purchased this beer 6-7 times and have been impressed by it every time. Surely there are more elite stouts out there that I have not yet found but it may just bet hat this has everything that I look for in a stout. It has a rich flavor with a slight dark chocolate taste that resonates on your tongue for quite a while after finishing. IT isn't quite sweet but it isn't overly bitter either. Overall a great stout and I will definitely keep it on the grocery list. (480 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a snifter from a 12 oz bottle.

A: Black as night. Beautiful tan head, great retention

S: Robust roasted malt mixed with chocolate, coffee and a hint of vanilla.

T: Huge roasted malt that finishes in a tantalizing bitterness.

M: Perfect body. Coats the mouth like a hand in a glove. Wonderful!

O: Old Rasputin is a true classic, a truly amazing Russian Imperial Stout. (384 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Jet black, absolutely gorgeous. Dark brown head, pours with about 3-finger head that slowly dissipates. BEAUTIFUL lacing that sticks to the glass throughout the entire drink.

S: Smells like a nice espresso, with a fairly strong smokiness. Slight alcohol bite comes through, surprising for the (relatively) low ABV for this Imperial.

T: Delicious woody, smoked maltiness. Slight hop bite coming through, separate from alcohol. Very dark, very tasty.

M: Very creamy, full-bodied. Nice smoothness

D: One glass per sitting is perfect. Very drinkable for an Imperial Stout. (578 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Lets start off by saying this was a weather inspired choice. Tropical Storm Hanna Has arrived and I needed something with some depth and character. This beer has it.
A: Black, with a chocolate brown head. I mean black.
S: Malty, roasted malts, slightly burnt. Not much alcoholconsidering the 9%.
T: Very nice, much more enjoyable than other I.S. that I have tried, and better than Brooklyn. Roasted, toasted, and burnt notes coming through in every sip. I think I can detect some notes of hops in the aftertaste, but not sure.
M:Carbonated. Very nice mouthfeeth for this style beer.
D: I would love to try this beer again and share it with a stout fan. My dad would have been the perfect guy to share this one with. (720 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

I've been wanting to try the Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout since a friend told me of it. I finally found it at Hamilton's in San Diego.

Poured out of a bottle, nice clear black color with a thick 1 inch head.

It has a very roasted smell with hints of chocolate or bourbon.

Tasting it gave an instant zing on the tip of my tongue with a medium to thick body. Flavor was almost too roasted, almost burnt, but complemented well by the chocolate/espresso taste. The flavor was lasting and stayed well on the back of the tongue to the point that I had to have another sip.

Good thing I take quick notes because this beer didn't stay in the glass very long. I'll be having many more of these! (696 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Old Rasputin is a dark beer that brought me to a bright appreciation of beer. When my friend first shared an old Rasputin with me a few months ago, I wasn't prepared for its complex notes of chocolate, oregano, coffee, and cherry. At first, I couldn't taste these flavors at all. However, I quickly came to appreciate them in a way that brought me closer to beer. I have long been able to describe the wines that I drink, but it took a very challenging beer to force me to see beer in the same way.

I'm glad that I did. On top of its complex flavor, this beer has a great aroma. Considerably lighter than its taste, its scent smoothly compliments its balanced taste. Its mouthfeel is silky and smooth without feeling particularly heavy for a stout beer.

This beer tastes great with intense fruit, bread, red meat, sweet and spicy foods (but not just sweet or just spicy), and creamy saucy food. Don't try it with anything that isn't as balanced as this drink though. (968 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Pour-Basically black with a medium brown head, thick, luscious and creamy head, completely opaque, thick lacing, is this crude oil? Head doesn’t hold that well but the lacing is REALLY thick

Nose-Chocolate, coffee, dark caramel malts, everything that is dark is in this beer

Palate-A little bit of sweet up front, a ton of sour and a moderate amount of bitter. Semi-sweet, almost scorched chocolate, actually only light coffee, but dark roast, incredibly dark caramel malts and grains. There is also a hint of fruity flavor

Body-Thick, creamy, heavy and syrupy, incredibly smooth and rich, luscious texture. Somehow a decent amount of effervescence. This is an incredible beer, I love this stuff and would get it again in a heartbeat. (739 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

I just shared this beer with a friend - because his fave beer is Youngs Dbl Choc. Stout. He now has a new fave.
I wont waste time waxing poetic - Im sure it has all been posted before. This is THE Imperial stout - at least from the USofA.
Full of roasty/ toasty burnt chocolate flavor - immensley complex and drinkable with a reasonable alcohol content.
If you like robust stouts and Porters, and havent tried and Old Raspy, do yourself ( and a friend maybe) a favor and find it.
Absolutely Outstanding!!! (517 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

pours a gorgeous pitch black with a thick dark tan head which has excellent retention and leaves a good amount o sticky lacing on my glass. Smell is of rich, tasty dark chocolate with a touch of caramel and some coffee notes as well. Taste is of rich, chocolate and coffee with a bitter twang of hops in the background throughout. Little hints of dark fruit, plum and cherry on the mid palate and one of the smoothest, chocolaty, yet dry finish I have ever tasted. Wow, mouthfeel is full bodied and very creamy - again, what an incredibly creamy, dry finish - beautiful. This is my first time having this beer and I'm speechless - this is an amazing RIS that I will be cellaring and would not hesitate for a second to purchase again. True class. (745 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance- Pours with very little head. Beer itself is an absolute pitch black color, no light at all escapes this beer.

Smell- Deep dark malty nose with subtle hints of alcohol.

Taste- Very complex flavors, sweet candied fruit, coffee, hint of spicyness from lovely hops. Truly delightful, alcohol leaves hint on warmth on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Fills palate completely with warm dark malt flavors and its full and chompy.

Drinkability- One of the most enjoyable RIS Ive ever had this one just melts in your mouth, definitly a repeat buy. (548 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

I poured it in a brandy snifter. Gorgeous deep opaque robe. Tan head that took its little time to disappear. Nose was full of roasted malts and dark chocolate. Very rich on the palate with notes of chocolate, coffee, and caramel. Nice finish. Outstanding!! (256 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

"Black as night" really is the best way to describe it. Thick, rocky, dark tan head, some active carbonation visible. Head dies very slowly and leaves a thick coating on the glass.

Smells of rich roasted malts and chocolate. Very smoky, but not ashy like some Imperial Stouts. Hint of caramel in the background.

I think I'm in love. First taste is bold, roasted malt, followed closely by the chocolate and caramel. The perfect amount of bitterness (in my opinion) for a strong stout, coming from the roast and smokiness.

Creamy, thick body, more carbonation than I would expect but it's not unpleasant. The three main flavors just roll around on the tongue in perfect harmony. There's something about how they roasted the malt that strikes me as very pleasing, but unfortunately I don't have enough experience with stout production to know what it is.

Overall this is a stout-lover's dream. Not for a weak stomach, because it has a hefty bitterness and high ABV that shamelessly displays itself in the taste, but it is just one hell of an enjoyable drink. I was planning to follow it up with a pint of Guinness but now I'm thinking it simply won't do my taste buds justice after this. (1,188 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Syrupy black pour with one finger of espresso crema-colored head. Nose is immediate chocolate with dark fruit behind it. The taste and mouthfeel are full and thick from front to back. Chocolate-covered dark cherries come to mind in the taste with a sustained yet subtle presence of alcohol throughout. This is truly fantastic and goes down a little too easy. I think I will have another... (389 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle had been in the cellar for 3 years. Time to partake!

Appearance: Gorgeous jet black pour into a tulip glass. Nice 2 finger tan head, super tight bubbles create a thick creamy look. Gorgeous figure to it after 3 years in the cellar.
Aroma: Boom! The nose on this one is an absolute gem! Rich, complex dark chocolate, cocoa, dark fruits, specifically figs, molasses, and a bit of roastiness. Each sniff brought out a deeper texture to the aroma, like it was building off of each previous smell.
Taste: Smooth and refined tastes that pleased my palate very much. All of the aforementioned aromas put to the tongue; a backbone of bitter bakers chocolate, and a bit of brown sugar. A licorice like middle of the mouth flavor gives way to roasty malt and slight coffee bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Rich, yet smooth. Complex body with a milkshake texture almost, yet very drinkable. Its wonderful when a high grav beer is drinkable yet best enjoyed when sipped as it warms. This beer cellars beautifully, I recommend it. Next one I do will be 5 years. (1,046 characters)

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.