Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros

A - Black with 1 finger tan head. leaves some nice lacing throughout
S - Espresso, raisin and other dark fruits, sweet alcohol
T - Espresso, raisin, bitter chocolate finish, very mild alcohol
M - Medium body, creamy feeling with a smooth finish
D - A great RIS. good to sip on, but wouldn't want to drink more than one or two in a session

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Beware the high ABV Old Rasputin...I swear, each bottle has an actual "Little Old Rasputin" who finds his way into your head, causing much confusion and havoc, especially if more than one or two gather there at the same time - which is to be expected, given the crazy old coot's rasputation, I mean, reputation and all...See, he's up to his old trick's again, that wily Old Rasputin...

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Look: Black as my soul. 2 inch head my fault on the pour and great retention and lacing throughout

Smell: Bitter chocolate and coffee upfront with just a hint of hops

Taste: Same as the nose. Roasted malts and bitter chocolate upfront with a bit of coffee in the middle

Mouthfeel: Full body low carbonation and a bit thick and syrupy

Overall: Let me start off by saying fresh I do not care for this beer at all so I decided to age a couple for 1 1/2 years and it was the best decision I could have made. The flavor profile is so much nicer and the alcohol burn is gone. I really really enjoyed this beer so much that I actually cracked another one and put some vanilla bean ice cream in it and made a beer float and it was absolutely amazing.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

pours a deep dark brown, almost pitch black
nice big tan wooden colored head
smells of chocolate and coffee, the slightest hint of earthy hops, mostly roasty scents
surprising smooth and drinkable for such a rich scent
again, roasty espresso flavors paired with dark rich cocoa
this is a deliciously rich, drinkable beer

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Smell: fruity, flowery cascade (or other american) hops, chocolate, coffee, syrup, some cream and dried fruits. Maybe somekind of notes of burnt meat or smoke, as well. Nice smell, anyways.

Taste: notes of coffee and fine dark chocolate, nice bitterness, heavy but not brutal, I'd say; syrup, smoked meat, nuts and those hops again.

Overall: one of the best stouts Ive had. Only thing I didnt like that much was the hop profile. I dont think stouts should have flowery citrus hops. It doesnt fit, in my opinion.

A - Pours black with a medium tan head, Looks typical of a stout

S - Toasted malt, coffee, faint hops

T - More of the smell, toasted/burnt malt, some espresso taste, hops are present in the back of the taste

M - Coats the mouth very well, but not overwhelmingly. Creamy as well. Very satisfying stout

O - Great example of a RIS, and on of the best pairings of beer/food, after a mesquite barbeque pork loin. Very delightful.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks for sharing Derek! Much appreciated. Opaque black, finger if mocha head. Minute lacing. Dark, bitter chocolate aroma profile, roasted coffee beans, anise, with a mild hop presence. Licorice, toffee chocolate, bitters, milky, smooth mouthfeel. High medium body, silky mouthfeel, with great balance. Highly drinkable. Thanks again Hyde!

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Black as night with a dark tan head. Head was thick,retention was good, and lacing solid. Very nice roasty aroma, strong alcohol notes on the palate. A very complex big beer that mellowed me out just right. Not really my favorite style but I sure appreciated this big beer. I did like that the 8%ABV made this more drinkable than some of the 10% Imperials I have tried. Great brew!

North Coast's "Old Rasputin" RIS @ 9.0% from a 330ml bottle 4 pack
A-pours almost black , good size tan head leaving some spotty lacing along the pint glass
S-barrel aged booze dominates!! , hints of burnt coffee grounds and some chocolate
T-nice and strong , big booze thru out , big plum vibe , bitter hints of coffee and bakers chocolate help in the very dry finish
MF-very little carbonation , full bodied , boozy aftertaste dominates
Ov-be careful as the beer warms "Old Rasputin" really seems to hit below the belt ... oh those Russians

cheers LampertLand

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. No freshness dating on bottle or label. Single purchased from local health foods store for $2.29.

A-Pours a deep, dark brown almost black hue with a two finger, creamy tan head with great retention and heavy lacing. A gorgeous craft beer.

S-Deep, dark chocolate and toasted malts and organic Turkish apricots. Also reminded me of chocolate pudding cake my mother used to make when I was a kid. The smell is wonderful.

T-Disappointing, in that it was not equal to the anticipation I expected from the aroma. Quite bitter with only a slight fruity finish. Improved as it warmed. Not a complex as I would have liked.

M-Robust, but very smooth with medium to full body. Warming due to the alcohol.

D-Good for a RIS, but not great. I like this and always want more when I finish a single 12 oz. bottle, but it doesn't achieve the rich complexity it aspires to.

I love the label with depiction of Rasputin and transliterated Russian text. Makes me think of snow and winter.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

A-Pours a primordial,pitch black with 2 fingers of stiff,creamy,chocolate mousse-like,beige head with great staying power that left thick,uniform rings of lacing on the glass.

S-Smells of strong,high quality,black coffee,burnt sugar,dark dried fruit and bitter,burnt toast.Some hints of hop presence but very faint.

T-Dark roasted malts,more strong coffee and dark chocolate.

M-Good viscosity.Thick,full,chewy and creamy.

D-A great sipper but also just smooth enough to overdue it.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter glass.

Pours a perfectly opaque thick black with good amount of tan head.

The smell is sweet roasted malts, chocolate, alcohol, and biter coffee.

The taste is excellent: a near-perfect blend of malty-roasty-ness, chocolate, and coffee, that is neither too sweet nor too bitter. Also, for a 9% abv beer, this surprisingly smooth.

The mouthfeel is very creamy, with just the right amount of carbonation.

This is a very drinkable beer, especially for its style. Very nice for a sipping beer on a cold day.

Overall, this is an excellent beer, and a great example for the Russian Imperial Stout (RIS? Why does IPA get an acronym and no one else does?). Very highly recommended, and right up there with the best ones I've tried (Stone and Samuel Smith)

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Served in a GameWorks shaker pint glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for another shot at this brew!

This bottle served as a coda to our Hallowe'en mini-tasting. It pours a nice onyx topped by a finger of light tan/dark ecru foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, toasted rye bread, pumpernickel, and a light flash of molasses. The taste is nearly identical, though heavier on the roasted malts. The body is a stolid medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a somewhat thick and chewy feel. Overall, a very nice bit o' stout, one that drinks way the hell too easily for its (and my) own good.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Had this at Cooper's Bar in Chicago, it was poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. This was the last beer of the night after a great dinner, so it was almost like ordering an after dinner coffee. The color is a nice dark black with a small head. The alcohol smell is slight but masked by the coffee and malt smells. The coffee tastes comes through very nicely, with a very light chocolate taste but not that sweet at all.

If you like coffee definitely worth reaching for.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Ebony-colored liquid, nicely sheened, fills the glass and raises a noisy tan head, about 1" deep, to the rim. Bubbles of various size crackle away and leave handsome pock marks in the head as it works its way down the glass, leaving a somewhat soapy cling. The aroma kicks off with big sniffs of cocoa and prunes that get pulled by a tarry woodiness into a bitterness of coffee-and-lemon. Here's an American-made Imperial Stout that recognizes that when it comes to hops, modesty can be a virtue. Baking-soda nosefeel is powdery and dry. Over a base of mellowly toasted cedar can be detected light--not burnt--fruit flavors of orange peel and melon rinds dipped in dark chocolate. Black coffee takes over, with black peppercorns rounding out the finish. The tastes distribute widely and fluidly through a dryish, clean, and softly carbonated mouthfeel that carries the bitterness all the way to the back of the throat. At no point could I detect the 9% alcohol level, except for my light daze at the end of the serving. Now this here is good beer.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

I poured this into a Bordeaux wine glass.

A - pours a gorgeous deep brown/black with a thick, sudsy tan head (about 3 fingers) and takes a while for it to disappear.

S - Pungent! Chocolate, malt and a bit of caramel very noticeable!

T/M - A delicious, thick, milky taste - a bit sour in the aftertaste (especially if you don't let it settle in). Slight carbonation. After a few minutes, as it warms a bit, it gets smoother and pulls together nicely.

D - Overall this is a very tasty beer. The aftertaste is a little too noticeable for my tastes, but it won't keep me from buying this again.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured an extremely dark brown with highlights of mahogany on the edges with 3 fingers of creamy khaki colored head. Produced decent, spotty lacing

Smells of rich, sweet chocolate, coffee beans with espresso notes, licorice and possibly some dark fruits. Has a slightly bitter tinge at the end.

Taste follows the nose but with a great bitter aftertaste. Burnt malt stands out more so on the tongue than in the nose.

The mouthfeel was a little too thin for what I was wanting out of this beer. Very well carbonated and a slightly drying bitter aftertaste

Overall, this was a good stout. I think with a thicker body that this beer could be amazing but what can you do? Not mad that I have 2 more in my fridge, but not dying to crack them open either

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Yum! I drink this at home and on tap it's plenty better.

Almost black with a soft full head.

Full coffee and toasty grain aroma.

The rich and full (understatement) body taste is appreciated throughout the mouth and for literally minutes after I swallow.

It's an Imperial so the it fills your senses but few do it this well.

In my mind this is the premier American version of this style. Anyone who can suggest a good rival, please let me know.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

No freshness date. Litle yellow head and a black beer. Nose is very roasty, hoppy, chocolate and black prunes fruity. Nice carramellic sweet hint with it complete the great nose. Taste is strong, heavy, litle sweet, caramellic and IMO litle overdone on the roastmalt part.Makes it also overbittered in to many I guess but for me just fine. Edgy mouthfeel but well drinkable.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

It poured a dark, deep mahogany black, and allowed hints of what I can only describe as a russet-chestnut color to peek through just under the head when placed in the light. It quickly built a finger thick toasted tan head of creamy froth with fairly good retention right out of the bottle, which gradually dissipated to a medium collar and a large, thin patch of foam blanketing the middle. It left nice thin sheets of beige lace that lasted through the drink, as well.

I was initially confronted with lots of lightly sweet oats, burnt rye, and bittersweet dark chocolate - nothing really out of the ordinary from what I understand. But beneath those, I had to dig a little to find hints of espresso hanging on heavily roasted caramel malts, toffee, and something dark and ripe, reminiscent of grapes/raisins or plums/prunes. I didn't find the smell to be vinous, as it hardly resembles wine in my book, but the fruits I found can definitely be associated with wine. To finish, there was one last thing hiding way in the back that I was just barely able to get a grasp of, something bitter and hoppy. A warning, perhaps, of what I was really going to put in my mouth.

It took all of half a second; the first half of that half a second was me rolling the tip of my tongue in a roast coffee, the second half was me reeling at the ridiculous bitterness pinching the inside of my cheeks, back of my tongue, and roof of my mouth. It was way more bitter than I expected with some sort of super hop that added a tart lemony bitterness, minus the sweetness, that pummeled my taste buds nearly to an exhilarating death. I say exhilarating because I am a huge fan of Imperial IPAs and the more bitter, the better, but I was not ready for a drink that was supposed to taste like chocolate and coffee to be that KAPOW. So as I revitalized my mouth with each electrocuting sip, I was able to focus more on what was really behind all of the things going on in this complex stout. Other than the immediate roast coffee, there was the bittersweet chocolate, burnt caramel, dark sweet malts, and a faint yeast mixed with the ripe plums/prunes I found in the nose.

Holding that crazy punchy bitterness helped to give the beer a medium to full body mouthfeel and it felt like a heavy cream on my tongue. Even with a hopped up spicy carbonation, it managed to stay smooth throughout the drink and made plenty of room for a very dry finish. There was a lasting aftertaste, but it was a warm aftertaste filled by a 9%ABV. Quite a hearty beer and thus not for the faint of heart.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance is deep, dark brown to black and opaque. Definitely one of the darkest beers ever. Head is creamy and tight and colored a chocolately-beige. Smell is cedary, burnt ash, espresso, and olives. On palate, notes of bubblegum, bitter, dark chocolate, smoky/peaty, bitter, tangy and sweet. Finish is bitter, and fruity. Mouthfeel on this one is thick, viscous, syrupy. Impressive.

This is a big beer. Packed with character (and alcohol), it's not for the faint of heart. A first-rate sipping beer.

2010 Vintage

A- A thin mid-mocha head resides on a black beer. Average head retention and some lacing.

S- Deep cocoa aromas with some hops involved.

T- Rich chocolate maltiness, hint of coffee. Hop heavy on the tail end of each sip. ABV detectors would agree witht he stated 9%abv.

M- Medium to medium thick mouthfeel, creamy. Adequate carbonation for an impy stout..

D/O- Now this is a meal in a glass. Easily accessible in Anywhere, USA. This wins 'best bang for your buck' constantly. One of my first loves in the world of craft beer...can't believe it took me this long to get a review in of it.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

From a bottle to my Darkness snifter.

So black it pees oil. Three + finger mocha head. As the head fades the lacing stays. I want to whisper sweet nothings to you Raspy.

At first this smelled like a cookiie made with brown sugar. Brown sugar how come you smell so good? Dark fruit, coffee and fig is making my heart go thump. Slightest hint of booziness.

Coffee. Kaplow. Right in my lips. Fig along with licorice and booze. This style can suffer from the zero carbonation syrup effect. Not a problem for this fella. Raspy is a hoppy gentleman but not overly.

There are winners and losers of this variety. Ladies and gents this is a winner. And a bargain too. Under 10 bones a four pack is a no brainer. Seek it out.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in to an imperial pint glass.

Pours black with a nice deep tan head that is very steady.

Roasted malts dominate, but light scents of sweet fruit rest beneath.

Tastes of sharp coffee and bitter chocolate. I would rate this taste higher, but I don't like coffee.

Mouthfeel is not watery or too chewy.

This beer is straight on for the style. Very well distributed, and priced competitively.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.