2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,377 | Reviews: 3,289 | Show All Ratings:
bierguru

A -
black body cant see through thick tan head stays real well

S -
highly roasted malt aromas and alcoholic to the nose

T -
deep roasted malts bittersweet chocolate

M -
thick creamy and smooth its the way all stouts should feel

D -
this beer is awesome one of my favorite stouts now i have also had this beer out of a bottle and i prefer it that way
out of a nitro tap flavors are kind of mellowed out of the bottle they are much bolder which is awesome

Serving type: nitro-tap

01-06-2011 18:29:32 | More by bierguru
Impfan

Washington

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Nice opaque pour, big blooming tan head, creamy medium body, lots of coffee, chocolate, dried figs, and a ton of roast. Super long, dry, roasty finish, and a big hit of acidity ala Guinness Foreign Extra Stout.. Terrific stuff that is thankfully available all year long!

01-19-2011 22:21:59 | More by Impfan
atlasproaudio

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a dark opaque coffee brown/black with a substantial but not overblown head. Smell is nutty, roasted coffee.

Taste blew me away from the get go. Coffee, nutty, alchohol, big IBU, it's all there. It's like turning a guitar amp to 11.

My only gripe is that the alcohol taste is just a little bit on the dominant side, but that's a subjective thing (I'd like to taste maybe 10% more malt). But I appreciate that it is a big beer @ 9% ABV.

If you like Imperial Stouts, or want to try something that will put your taste buds on a fun ride this excellent beer is highly recommended.

05-08-2011 02:54:55 | More by atlasproaudio
iDrinknewglarus

Wisconsin

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Pitch dark beer, pours like oil. Big dark tan head that settles but never leaves and revives quite nicely with a twirl of the glass. It leaves some pretty awesome lasing as well.

S: Intense coffee and chocolate upfront with a massive amount of roasted malts. Sweet caramel maltyness. You can smell the booze a bit. Smells robust and delicious.

T: Big on the coffee. Big time dark chocolate mixed with semi-sweet chocolate. Later on I notice a bit of dark fruit taste, along with slight acidity. You can taste the alcohol, but I know of no other beer that marries the alcohol and the beer flavors better than Old Rasputin. Hop bitterness across the palate in the aftertaste that cleanses the palate for more. After finishing about half the beer, it leaves a thick layer of bakers chocolate all across your tongue... nice! It doesn't have vastly complex flavors, but what flavors are there, are absolutely perfect.

M: Thick and chewy with light carbonation. Silky and smooth as it flows across the palate.

This beer is my favorite RIS to date. I love it for its awesome flavor, its great drinkability, and its price and availability. I always have a couple on hand. Highly recommended!

06-23-2011 03:25:48 | More by iDrinknewglarus
DavidST

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Old Rasputin and I go way back and I have a nostalgic attachment to it. I'm pretty sure 5 or 6 or so years ago, trying one of these was the experience which got me moved off of Guinness / Shiner and onto trying different craft beers.

I poured a pretty aggressive pour into an over sized wine glass. The head was a nice brown color 2 fingers thick, it quickly went away and leaves a nice thick lazing, there is also a thin layer of foam which lingers around the edges and stays on top. The color is pitch black, even around the edges no light gets in, beautiful.

The smell is wonderful, mostly coffee, dark roasted malts and barely hops.

The feel is great, tingling carbonation / alcohol, semi thick and velvety.

The taste is amazing, one of my all time favorites. Up front I'm hit with tasty chocolate / coffee and roasted malts, on the way down there is some nice hoppy / bitterness. A very well balanced marvelous taste, the higher alcohol is well hidden. It gets even more complex as it warms up (although then the alcohol isn't as well hidden).

Overall, I love this beer. I still think it would make my top 5 all time favorites and at only $9 for a 4 pack, its price is hard to beat.

06-29-2011 03:15:40 | More by DavidST
Whadawookie

Nebraska

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

One of my all-time favorites. Poured into a pint glass, I had no trouble making a ridiculous perfectly foamy tan head that sat upon the black sea of liquid. Lacing is great and you have a sudsy film floating around the whole time your drinking, which might not be as long as you might expect with a strong brew like this. It has a very strong, roasted character. It smells almost woodsy or yeasty. There is coffee in there somewhere, perhaps even espresso? It has a decent hop bite too. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming for me. Definitely a sipper, it's just overwhelming with flavor and so damn heavy. It really stays on the tongue too. By far my favorite I've had by this brewery. I am going to try my hand at brewing a clone of this later this week. Looking at the grain bill, I can see why it is such an intense beer.

11-08-2011 01:44:17 | More by Whadawookie
Mamerong

Alberta (Canada)

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

A- Is black as hell with a huge mocha tan head that dissipates to a nice rocky creamy cap the to a half finger.

S- you get a light goldings hop smell at first then it moves into huge toasted malts, bitter chocolate and some coffee and dark fruit in the finish.

T- you start with a good hop bitterness and toasted mault astringency. moves into a good toasted mault and bitter choclate and finishes with some fruity caramel notes and slight alcohol warmth.

M- it coats your mouth all over and its dry but the carbonation is just there enough to clean the palate and leave it at just the right balance.

Overall an amazing beer. A bench mark for the style. only complaint is i can't get enough.

11-26-2011 03:03:05 | More by Mamerong
Sharkophile

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Lost a bet with my room mate and had to buy him a pack, which we split. This was a while ago but Old Rasputin was a very memorable beer, so I'll do the best I can to do it justice.

A: Poured into a pint glass. Black as night with a towering coffee colored head, although I remember being a bit disappointed with the retention.

S: Chocolate, coffee, caramel and a waft of alcohol. Nice.

T: Wow. Loads of roasted flavors, coffee, chocolate, dark caramel, a little hoppy and alcoholic on the finish.

M: Full body, perfect carbonation.

O: I'm still young, but this is the best stout I've tasted to date. Amazing stuff and great for the price.

01-07-2012 08:13:46 | More by Sharkophile
acevenom

Louisiana

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours opaque black with a tall, creamy brown head. The head dissipates slowly. Plenty of sticky lacing is left on the side of the glass as the head dissipates. Poured into a pint glass. Pours opaque black with a tall, creamy brown head. The head dissipates slowly. Plenty of sticky lacing is left on the side of the glass as the head dissipates. Dark roasted barley malt, bitter chocolate, anise, dark fruits, dark coffee, some hops, and some alcohol round out the flavors. It has a nice, dark roasted flavor overall. The flavors are bold and well balanced. There is a bitter aftertaste. It should be noted that the alcohol taste is not strong despite this beer being 9% ABV. The body is full with adequate carbonation. This beer is smooth and the drinkability is high. This is an excellent beer and remains one of my favorite examples of this style. I've enjoyed this many times in the past and will continue to do so.

06-12-2012 23:03:02 | More by acevenom
manemota420

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

A: dark and erie, when I first had this beer I knew it would be a good one.

S: an aroma of coffee but had some trouble because I have a poor sense of smell. Some reviewers say chocolate but I will have to re-pour to see if I get a better hint of it.

T: bitter but by no means a bad one! It is the beauty of having this at school after work and before class that makes my mid-days so great :)

M: My buddies hassle me saying that this beer pours like motor oil, so it must taste and linger like it. Not at all. This creamy beverage is one to savour.

Overall: This is the main beer I respect out of my choices here at CSU-DH's sports lounge. It brings me joy and delight that CA breweries are brewing these. I am hoping to one day get this on-tap.

***

08-29-2012 17:15:04 | More by manemota420
charlzm

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Consumed 07/05/08 at Verdugo Bar, Los Angeles CA.

Very dark brown with exceptional clarity (yes, it's true): deep garnet and ruby highlights when held to light. One finger creamy tan nitro head that sticks around forever.

Aroma is awesome: dark semi-sweet chocolate, coffee and even a subtle red grape character.

Texture is velvety smooth.

The flavor is substantial roasted dark malts, resulting in a profile similar to the nose: bittersweet chocolate, rich roasted coffee with a hint of cream and sugar and restrained but noticeable bitterness on the aftertaste.

Sublime and drinkable as anything I have ever had, the glass was drained far too soon on this one.

Serving type: nitro-tap

07-07-2008 01:03:34 | More by charlzm
Labeorphile

4.86/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into a pint glass. Jet black pour leaving a giant foamy head that lingers for a long time, and leaves sticky lacing sliding down the sides of the glass.

Aroma is amazing. Malt, some buried hops, coffee and dark chocolate. The smell was so amazing, I literally sat there with my nose in the glass for about 5 minutes before taking my first sip.

Flavor lived up to smell. Malty goodness with hints of coffee fading to some subtle hoppiness, then with dark chocolate bitterness showing back up at the finish.

Mouth feel is a little thin for style, but carbonation is surprisingly nice. Good lingering warmth down the throat.

A really great beer that I am glad I bought in a 4 pack instead of a single.

02-03-2013 17:05:34 | More by Labeorphile
joeworrall

Arizona

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This "Russian Imperial Stout" is a classic. Incredible body, aroma and flavor make it one of the best, if not the best, stouts I have ever had.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a large tulip glass, the thick foamy head almost overflows the top of the 20 oz glass! it settled down to about a finger thick, but maintained the tiny bubbles and lacing on the side of the glass.

The aroma is toasted malt with strong coffee and some chocolate hints. The flavor is mostly toasty and coffee, but just slightly bitter. Aftertaste is also slightly bitter, but in a good way.

Soon, I am going to start a quest for the perfect stout, and am sure that this one will be in the top 10 if not higher!

10-12-2013 04:04:03 | More by joeworrall
jvajda

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance: Dark black body. A vigorous pour resulted in a one finger head that is tan. Ecellent look.
Smell: Alcohol and big roasted smells. Also a good load of malt freshness like a dunkel.
Taste: Wow. Milky and creamy, then bitter coffee roast flavors, a good bit of alcohol too. The sweetness balances excellently with bitterness. There is a lot to taste here. I've never had a more balanced stout. This is a superior beer.
Mouthfeel: Creamy and velvety like no other.
Drinkabilty: Imperial Stouts are not as drinkable as your typical session beer, but within this style this is the most drinkable. Relatively low ABV and very high complexity beg me to come back.

11-12-2004 04:54:23 | More by jvajda
GClarkage

12/09/04- On tap at the Englander in San Leandro, CA

Appearance- Pours a dark tanish-black opaque color. Great head and good lacing.

Smell- Ahhhh, lots of chocolate and lots of coffee mixed together. Both roasted to perfection.

Taste- Frickin awesome! This compares almost equally to Stone Imperial Stout IMO. I had Stone two weeks ago and needed to give this one another try to compare. Tons of chocolate and coffee swirling around in harmony. Roasted malt thrown in for good measure.

Mouthfeel- On tap this is phenomonal. Carbonation level is near perfect and after it warms up it's even more tasty. Fairly thick, but goes down like a fat guy on a waterslide. (fast) :)

Drinkability- The only drawback is that you can feel this one after you finish it. You can still have another, but two is almost too much. Always will be one of my favorites.

12-10-2004 01:28:51 | More by GClarkage
Dogbrick

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

On tap at Barley's Smokehouse. As much as I hate drinking a non-Barley's beer at Barley's, no way am I going to pass this up. Served in a snifter. Pours black as night with a dense beige head. Thin and quick lacing. Great roasty aroma with malt, and robust coffee. Rich body with a great balance of sweet malt and caramel, along with coffee and sneaky hops that poke through periodically. The alcohol is well-hidden too but you can tell it is there. The finish is long and lightly bitter coffee and chocolate. An excellent Imperial Stout that is exemplary of the style.

12-10-2004 22:50:05 | More by Dogbrick
BDTyre

British Columbia (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours black with a purplish tinge. Nice thin brown head. Smells...perfumey but not sweet or overwhelming. Very pleasant smell.

Tastes like a very powerful stout. A bitter undertone, but this does not detract from the taste. Roasted malts with a bitter-sweet aftertaste. This is thick, but smooth and easy drinking. In my opinion, the only detractor of this beer is its limited availability.

I very much enjoy this stout; although it is my first imperial stout, it is one of the better beers I have tasted and I would eagerly order a case of it.

12-28-2004 10:10:57 | More by BDTyre
Troyone

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

This one has slipped through my normal change up of beers. I'm surprised I have not reviewed this before.

The appearance is black with an amber hue, to difficult to see carbonation, and the slightly tan head is minimal to nothing.

Roasted molasses and caramel malt smell, with some chocolate and coffee, and possibly lime and pine hops.

Moderately sweet and bitter, lightly acidic, roasted molasses, chocolate, and coffee malt with some pine and lime hops.

Full bodied, slightly creamy and syrupy texture, lively and soft carbonation, and has a smooth slightly metallic and alcoholic finish (hate when that happens).

The drinkablility is excellent for the 8.9 abv. and especially for a R.I. Stout.

08-15-2005 02:58:40 | More by Troyone
Hibernator

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
12 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

* Christmas 2005 *

Pours a jet black with some ruby colored highlights on the very bottom of the glass. Excellent shade of black and the presentation of this beer has everything I would expect from a true imperial stout. Random tan colored traces of sticky lace appear all over the glass.

Aroma is so inviting with whiffs of roasted coffee beans, creamy dairy, hops, burnt grains and juicy malts.

This is an excellent stout all day long. Flavors of espresso, chocolate, sweet sugars and smooth cream blend together. The mouthfeel is so complex with each sip providing a unique character.

Hands down, one of the best Russian Imperial Stouts I've ever had. This is one of my favorite styles of beer and this is up there with the best.

12-25-2005 20:51:28 | More by Hibernator
Lupin

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

My third tasting of this brew. 12oz bottle kept at standard fridge temperature. Rasputin's hypnotic techniques have reined me in. I love this brew, but I can only take one in at a time.

Pours an utterly opaque black coffee. I violently throw the last 5 ounces or so in to coax out a 1"+ roasted sandy head. Minor lacing at the top of the glass. Easily the best smelling brew I have ever sampled.

The taste is utterly dominated by a raw, dark chocolate. There is no other way to describe it. It even leaves the same dry feeling on your tongue that a bar of any dark chocolate will provide. Bitter bitter bittersweet.

I wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone who likes beer and coffee or beer and chocolate of any type. I warned my dad, who loves dark chocolate, that he'd better drink the bottle I offered him that night or else it was liable to disappear from the fridge. My willpower is such that the same bottle has just been reviewed.

06-08-2006 00:28:28 | More by Lupin
hanco005

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A—solid black, just hints of light shine in at the bottom, a 2 inch thick , ice cream looking beige head, fades away slowly, lacing is in thick sheets

S—chocolate and alcohol, some coffee and bread tones, too, a touch of licorice, very fragrant and makes my mouth water

T—chocolate is strongest, followed by the alcohol and coffee, all flavors combine for a wonderful taste!

M—thick and creamy, full bodied, perfect carbonation

D—can’t drink a lot of it due to the high ABV, but this is perfect for the style, I think. A great nightcap.

07-26-2006 17:17:40 | More by hanco005
ellisdee97

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Pours a dark chocolate/motor oil black. A light coffee colored head quickly dissappears and leaves a light ring and nice lacing.

S: Strong smell of alcohol and chocolate with some hops coming through. Dark chocolate and coffee notes.

T: Heavy chocolate with a slight bitter hop bite and a kick of alcohol but nicely masked. Exceptional coffee and chocolate aftertaste, with spicy pepper.

M: Dry chocolate with a hop and alcohol bite. Exceptionally smooth.

D: For the alcohol content this is very drinkable, and not heavy as would be expected. This is one hell of a damn good beer. I will be getting this again, and as often as possible. I highly reccomend it.

08-12-2006 20:22:18 | More by ellisdee97
OKCNittany

Oklahoma

12 oz bottle in a pint glass

A: 3/4" tan head - beautiful black body. Head thinned fairly quickly, but left a nice lacing.

S: Rich, powerful aroma with coffee the strongest. Roasted malt & alcohol quite noticible. Some chocolate & plenty more.

T: Big, rich expresso flavor. Plenty of hoppy bitterness, but the malts win - chocolate lovers will not be disappointed. Alcohol is present, but it's completely overwhelmed by everything else going on and not a problem at all (unless you're driving). Dark fruits are present as well, but does not interfere with the roasted/burnt malts. Man I love this beer.

M: Very smooth & creamy despite the alcohol presence. Perfect (light) carbonation for the taste. A loooong lasting dry finish - very tasty & still sweet.

D: Spectacular beer - one of my top 5. I will never tire of this beer. However, hide the women and children - this beer does not fool around. Also, at 9% abv, if I ever find this beer in a bar in OKC, someone better take my keys.

The only real flaw here is that I just finished the 4-pack. Damn North Coast for not making it a 6-pack!

07-03-2007 00:54:45 | More by OKCNittany
MisterClean

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

On tap at Manderes. Too bad not nitro.

A - Pours jet black, with a moderately foamy chocolate head. Dissipates slow without much fanfare from the legs.

S - Cherries, raspberries, and milk chocolate. Just amazing!

T - Dark chocolate and black cherries. What a beer.

M - Chewy, moist, slightly gritty feeling.

D - Excellent. Had to force myself to slow down.

02-24-2008 05:39:01 | More by MisterClean
ad5os

bought beer in store.

Beer has a deep dark color and is full and thick. Thick head. Smells sweet. Color is a dark black color.

Flavor is rather malty with a good amount of bitterness. Smell is chocolaty and sweet.

Very well made and crafted. Friend of mine bought this me a year ago and it is one of the best imperial stouts I have every had.

10-13-2008 05:40:44 | More by ad5os
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.