Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
lou50rp

Maine

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Has a very dark, almost black color with a nice head of khaki, which lasts.
Smell is of dark chocolate and black cherries.
Taste is as promised by the smell. No alcohol taste and little bitterness.
Feels really good in the mouth, thick and creamy.
Very drinkable beer even with the 9.0 ABV. One of my favorite beers at any time.

08-19-2010 17:18:19 | More by lou50rp
dnolan36

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Well tonight I decided to try my first Old Rasputin. I just started getting back into stouts and I am almost sad I have started with this one since it was so good. Well, anyways, here it goes.

When I opened the bottle, it poured black into my glass with about a finger of dark, rich brown head. The sight was quite lovely.

When I first brought the glass to my nose there was a nice chocolatety, nutty aroma. I sat the glass back down for about 20 minutes for it to warm up some and then smelled it again. The second time there was a faint vanilla/mocha smell, with a hint of malts and coffee.

The taste matched the smell almost. It had a dark chocolate, mocha, malty feel to it.

This was overall an excellent beer from opening it to drinking it. I could definitely enjoy several of these. However, I am still sipping on the one that I am using to write this review.

08-18-2010 02:58:54 | More by dnolan36
stakem

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Review from notes taken 6/23/10.

On tap at Als served in a nonic. Appears black in color with a thick creamy tan head that retains very well and sticks in thick patches about the glass. Nose is full of dark grains smelling of coffee and dark chocolate with a blend of hops and dark skinned fruity sweetness. The alcohol becomes a bit more noticeable as it warms. Taste includes a mixture of alcohol, roasty grain and slightly citrusy hop bitterness upfront that blends through a medium creamy smooth body with more flavors of dark grainy sweetness. The roasted grains suggest black coffee, dark chocolate and dark skinned fruits much like the aroma indicated. There is a pleasant lingering bitterness from the darkly roasted grain coupled with the flavor and warmth of alcohol. This is a brew I enjoy regularly from a bottle and on nitro it is even more drinkable and creamy in the feel.

Serving type: nitro-tap

08-17-2010 19:19:50 | More by stakem
jmeador85

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Appearance - Definitely a stout. One thing that never fails to impress me about Old Rasputin is the lingering head. It's still there when I finish drinking a 22 oz weizen glass, and I drink Old Rasputin slowly.

Smell - Many nuances that I'm at a loss to describe. You can tell, with certitude, that this beer is going to have some bite from the smell, but it's masking a complex flavor beneath.

Taste - This, too, could be described many ways. An amateur would say it's bitter, but beyond the bitterness is a bouquet of flavors that most people will appreciate.

Mouthfeel - Old Rasputin definitely has an aftertaste. The bitterness of the beer seems accentuated when you swallow, but I don't find it overwhelming. The mouthfeel makes you want another sip/gulp.

Drinkability - Definitely drinkable. Very good. Very strong, too.

Verdict - This is one of my favorite stouts. I tried this beer in December I believe, and a group of guys I know were drinking it so I thought I'd do the same. Well, the guys had a few more, and these Flying Saucer regulars staggered over to Barnes and Noble across the street where they sat in comfort and sobered up before driving home. This beer is strong. Drink with caution.

08-17-2010 19:16:32 | More by jmeador85
SluggerOToole

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into chalice after dinner. Ordered this with a cheese plate for dessert. The brew pours pitch black with a thin chocolate milk-colored head. The nose is subdued with caramel malt, cocoa, and faint hops.

The aromas carry straight through to the palate with strong roasty flavors like sweet coffee and dark chocolate flavors, there is a caramel and toffee sweetness up front also with resounding hop finish. Mouthfeel is heavy, full, silky, and lingering.

08-16-2010 22:57:43 | More by SluggerOToole
Keffa

Poured into a Bells Oberon pint glass.

A: Pours pitch black with a nice tan head, about two fingers worth, that stays around for about 10 minutes before settling to a small cap. Decent lace sticks and doesn't let go. Nice start.

S: The quintessential RIS, coffee, chocolate, dark brown sugar, molasses, a little fig, and a nicely roasted malt. Nice aroma.

T: This tastes like a clone of Blackout from GLBC. Either that, or Blackout is a clone of this. Chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, a little bitterness from the black malt and hops. This is tough for me, as I love Blackout. I guess since Raspy seems to be year round, it should fill in nicely for Blackout.

M: Big, thick, creamy, almost chewy. Very nice.

D: Easier to drink the warmer it gets. Fantastic beer.

If I have to drink a Russian Imperial, and Blackout isn't on the shelves, this will be my go to. Well done.

08-16-2010 03:46:42 | More by Keffa
axeman9182

12 oz bottle, allowed to warm a bit from the fridge, poured into my Duvel tulip.

The beer pours absolute black, with an absolutely massive tan head that paints the glass with lacing. Stunning beer. The nose is a little weak, bitter coffee with just a hint of chocolate that only becomes apparent as the beer warms some more. As I sip my opinion of the beer improves, the dark coffee flavor is still most prevalent while dark chocolate makes a little more noise than in the nose and there's also a slight warming sensation from the alcohol. Great mouthfeel on this beer as the body is nice and big and chewy, while the carbonation is suitably low. Old Rasputin is a very good beer, phenomenal in some aspects, but where it really matters most it falls just a little bit short of world class.

08-16-2010 03:37:47 | More by axeman9182
zhanson88

Appearance: Pitch black in the glass. When poured there was one finger of tan head. Most of it dissolved in a short amount of time, but some lacing remained around the edges of my glass.

Smell: Dark and chocolate malts along with coffee are very prevalent. Not a lot else, but a great smell nonetheless.

Taste: Very much along the same lines as the smell. Tastes very strongly of cocoa and coffee.

Mouthfeel: Very full body, as I expected from an imperial stout. Surprisingly smooth going down despite the relatively high alcohol content.

Drinkability: I had 1 of these, and I definitely would have been open to having 1 or 2 more. Not a beer that I could or would drink all night long.

Overall: A great imperial stout. A beer that I will be buying again.

08-15-2010 04:22:06 | More by zhanson88
Patchmaster

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

What you read is what you get from this classic RIS. I could imagine this beer being served at a round table in the mid century. Nothing unusual out of the beer or pretentious. This just nails what an RIS originally was.

A - A dark black with a small lacing hits the glass. Not much lacing. This has a minimal head.

S - Immediately the smell of cocoa and coffee beans hit you.

T - This has a very smooth texture with strong flavoring of dark chocolate. I think I just drank a Hershey Dark Chocolate candy bar.

M - Smooth, Creamy and a great mix of carbonation. This beer is right on.

D - I prefer this on a cold winters night, but this beer satisfies my craving every time.

I love this simplistic approach to an old style beer. I guess that's what makes it so popular and the first RIS for most people to venture into.

08-15-2010 03:27:08 | More by Patchmaster
RealityGrill

Arizona

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz into Imperial Pint

A: Pitch black, light brown head.

S: Heavy roasted coffee beans and cocoa.

T: Intense molasses and bitter coffee beans, followed by a significant alcohol burn.

M: Heavy but not too viscous.

D: I could put away a 4-pack of these in a night...

This is easily the best stout-for-your-buck on the market.

08-14-2010 05:27:09 | More by RealityGrill
wolfinthemirror

Oklahoma

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Pours jet black with a thick n creamy mocha colored head. No light can be seen through this beer whatsoever. It's a beautiful sight in my tulip glass.

In the nose I get thick scents of chocolate malt immediately. That's the main thing that I can smell.

The taste is amazing. A thick texture of chocolate malty goodness. It finishes more bitter than sweet, but not quite dry. Some smokey components are there. The alcohol is very well hidden, buried under the layers of silky smooth malts.

Full bodied, light carbonation.. very viscous, thick, and chewy. Melts in the mouth.

While the Rasputin has a fairly high ABV of 9%, It's delicious enough to drink a lot of. So you gotta be careful not to guzzle too many of these down. This is a great imperial stout, definitely one of my favorites so far.

08-13-2010 04:40:30 | More by wolfinthemirror
callmeclemens

1.13/5  rDev -73.7%

Upon pouring this beer looked like cola, maybe a little darker. Smelled like licorse. Tasted like Licorse and Alcohal. I found this beer difficult to sip, sallow, and even gulp. Had no head, and no lacing whatsoever which leads me to believe I may have gotten a bad bottle, so perhaps I'll try again.

However, judging from what I know about Rasputin, this seems like the kind of thing he would drink by the barrelful atleast ten times a day. So I suppose mission accomplished, Comrades.

08-12-2010 12:26:13 | More by callmeclemens
Tron67

Nebraska

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Completely black in the glass with a creamy tan head that dissappears. Overall good appearance.

S: You can definitely smell the alcohol in this beer. It's hidden with strong coffee and roasted malt aroma. Smells wonderful.

T: The initial taste is creamy in the front of the palate with hints of dark chocolate. The flavor then turns to mocha and finishes with a bitter coffee and herbal taste. The aftertaste is surprisingly smooth and long lasting. You can tell there is high alcohol, but it is lost in the sweet, stong coffee flavors.

M: Full-bodied, creamy and smooth, and medium carbonation.

D: Definitely enjoyable. Great for sipping for extended periods of time. Not good in the hot summer heat, great for winter.

08-11-2010 16:41:39 | More by Tron67
AgentMunky

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Looks like a typical Russian Imperial Stout. Dark dark-brown with thin nutty-coloured head. Implacable and imposing; I look forward to drinking this beer.

S: So nice. Lightly-roasted, gently-sweet malts. There is a definitely fruity tone to the alcoholic sweetness. Some hints of chocolate and even less of coffee.

T: Deliciously tasty. A smooth, sweet beer, with surprising spicy notes appearing at the end of the taste (cinnamon and something akin to paprika spring to mind). The main taste is mildly bitter, a roasted flavour with a hint of hops. The aftertaste is slightly sticky with savoury chocolate notes opening up amidst the aforementioned spices.

M: Carbonation lightens the taste considerably, but cannot stem a creeping sticky sweetness in the aftertaste. Not unpleasant, but not a point in its favour either.

D: With the notable exception of Bell's Expedition Stout, Old Rasputin is the best Russian Imperial Stout I've ever consumed. While by no means a light fare, it is more accessible and consumable than other beers of the same style. Very drinkable and highly recommended.

EDIT: The following review is of a bottle aged in a friend's wine cellar for 14 months (and an additional month and a half sitting in my refrigerator.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a St Bernardus goblet. Reviewed 25 December 2011. I can't find a best by date, but the neck label has almost completely peeled itself off.

4.5A: An excellent cocoa-coloured head forms an impressive crown to a coal-black beer. Utterly dark and completely opaque, this is what I like an Imperial Stout to look like. Great lacing.

5S: Mmmm, yes. Huge and boozy. Less dry than I remember, but much more fruity and alcoholic. Very similar to Bell's Expedition Stout which, in my book, is a very good thing indeed. Richer and more rewarding than I initially thought, ten minutes later I still haven't taken a sip. I'm simply letting my nose revel in these sensations. Superlative smell. Blueberries?

4T: This is more what I expected from an aged Rasputin. Moderate chocolatey bitterness with virtually no hop presence and a sweetish fruit/alcohol maintaste which trails off slowly leaving very little aftertate. Disappointing after such a monumental smell, but still quite nice.

3.75M: Thick and almost sticky. Little carbonation. Nice enough.

4.25O: A very good beer, but I'm not sure the changes in flavour advocate ageing. Most of the spice and bitterness has absented itself in favour of slow, mellow sweetness. I probably prefer a fresh bottling, but I might age another one because it changed character significantly more than the Expedition Stout after cellaring.

08-10-2010 00:22:05 | More by AgentMunky
dzni

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Pours an inky black with a light reddish-brown head that disappears quickly.
S - A nice coffee, chocolate, and molasses hits the nose. Maybe some slight berry in there providing some sweetness.
T - Rich espresso and chocolate in the mouth is consistent with the nose. Really nice. Not overly bitter at all, just right.
M - Heavy with a bit of carbonation (or is that hops) providing a nice counterbalance to the richness of the chocolate/espresso.
D - I doubt I could drink this all night at 9%, but it's perfect for both the colder months and as a pairing with dessert (or by itself!).

08-09-2010 01:37:44 | More by dzni
BrewCrew2010

Mississippi

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Pours dark brown, but is completely black once it's in the glass. A creamy tan head that is mostly diminishing, virtually no lacing, but seems to be typical in RIS. Overall good appearance.

S: You can definately smell the alcohol in this beer. It's hidden with strong coffee and roasted malt aroma and almost a sweetness.

T: The initial taste is creamy in the front of the palate with hints of dark chocolate. The flavor then turns to mocha and finishes with a bitter coffee and herbal taste. The aftertaste is surprisingly smooth and long lasting. Expected the beer to have more of a burn because of the smell, but is slightly there and is overwhelmed with the other flavors.

M: Full-bodied, creamy and smooth, and medium carbonation.

D: Definately enjoyed, but couldn't drink more then 1 at a time. Would love to drink this with ribs or a steak for sure! Not good in the hot summer heat.

08-09-2010 00:27:22 | More by BrewCrew2010
grittybrews

Washington

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I haven't reviewed this yet?! Poured a syrupy black into a Duvel tulip with an inch of dark tan head that receded fairly quickly. Very nice roasty aroma of chocolate and coffee.

Slightly high carbonation balances a creamy, full mouthfeel. Intense flavors of sweet molasses and black licorice followed by lingering coffee, tobacco, and dark chocolate on the dry, slightly bitter finish. ABV well-hidden, emerging slightly as the beer warms.

A wonderful stout that I've enjoyed many times.

08-08-2010 15:52:05 | More by grittybrews
dball

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent stout. It has it all. The appearance off the draft is decadent. The smell, taste, feel and drinkability embody an imperial stout. It also drinks very smooth for being a huge beer. It has a true stout flavor without added flavors of other coffee or chocolate stouts. This is the real deal.

08-08-2010 02:28:05 | More by dball
cgmees

12 oz bottle

A - Very very dark with tan/brown head the quickly leaves

S - Good aroma of Coffe, chocolate a bit of alcohol

T - Taste is very similar to the aroma, first taste slightly bitter, but smoothed up nicely thereafter.

M - Mouth feel was full bodied but with enough creamy texture to make it smooth.

D - Very well done and will be drunk again.

08-07-2010 22:51:03 | More by cgmees
alobert

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

I had this beer while visiting Providence, Rhode Island. I was very impressed. I had heard lots of great things about this beer and was excited to try it. It poured black with about a finger of head and smelled like dark chocolate and coffee. The taste is what made me love this beer. Dark chocolate and coffee, finishing with tobacco. The beer reminded me of smoking a good cigar. The beer was perfectly balanced.

Overall I give this beer the highest marks. If you are looking for a delicious stout this is a great option.

08-05-2010 05:11:16 | More by alobert
detlefchef

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

2009 vintage, tasted on 8/2/10

I haven't had a fresh bottle in a while, so I'm not sure if this is typical of the beer or just shows what happens after a year. But the alcohol was very subdued and the beer really didn't seem particularly rich. Oh it smelled rich as hell, but it finished downright clean and tangy. Which was cool enough, I suppose, but more like I would expect from a Porter than a RIS.

Deep, dark, and nearly absent of color. Fine coffee-cream head. Smells of blood and grilled meats. Sweet Turkish coffee on the palate. Oddly un-rich, actually. Even tangy on the finish.

Food pairing: Mexican porchetta (slow-roasted pork shoulder, wrapped around aromatics)

08-03-2010 20:04:47 | More by detlefchef
HosP

Indiana

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Thank you Scottfrie for extra!

A- Poured black with a small tan head that left rather quickly.

S- Good aroma of chocolate and coffee with roasted malts.

T- Nice smooth taste of malts. Chocolate up front with slight hints of citrus hops. Mocha finish towards the end. Very nice flavor.

M- Full body with little carbonation. Very smooth drink that hides the alcohol.

D- Very solid RIS. Good flavor but nothing overpowering. Could drink a few of these easily.

08-03-2010 03:43:21 | More by HosP
mytireisfat

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

P: 12oz short brown bottle. no best by date. cool label. some lacing.

A: Black in color. Two and a half finger head that retains well.

S: Roasted malt, sweet malt, and coffee smells.

T: Roasted malt and coffee. Can taste the alcohol there but it goes down well.

M: Full body, lots of carbonation.

D: An amazing beer. very well balanced. easy to drink. i would buy this one again. but i would like to try the old Rasputin XII. happy i got this one tho!

08-02-2010 20:11:30 | More by mytireisfat
PEIBeerGuy

Prince Edward Island (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Dark, smooth black / brown, with a three-finger, creamy, brown head that laces all the way to the bottom.

Smells of coffee, dark chocolate, and rye bread.

Also tastes of coffee, dark chocolate, rye bread... and a bit of red wine / merlot, I thought. Although the 9% is hidden pretty well, it does come through with a bit of a wine or even liqueur taste... didn't care for that part of it.

It's got a bit of an alcoholic burn at the start, but it's fairly subtle. It feels pretty smooth, and the carbonation is fine. I didn't care much for the aftertaste / feel.

It's a pretty nice beer. Definitely some substance to it.

08-02-2010 17:10:49 | More by PEIBeerGuy
comfortablynumb1

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 ouncer into an old raspy pint glass...

A - Poures black with a two finger dark tan head. Got to love the head retention on this one. Follows you all the way to the bottom. Love the appearance of this beer...

S - Lots of dark chocolate and coffee notes. Also pick up a sweet smell. Maybe molasses...

T - Taste pretty much follows the nose. Lots of dark chocolate notes up front followed by a sweeter taste of vanilla. Dark brewed coffee comes through at the end followed by the warm bite of alcohol. This is one beer that I buy on a regular basis, and I have noticed that sometimes the alcohol bite at the end is a little more pronounced than other times. Usually these fly of the shelves where i purchase them, so I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with them aging on the shelves. Either way, this is a great tasting beer...

M - Thick and creamy. Full-bodied...

D - An exceptional RIS at an affordable price. Need I say more? Definitely one of my go to beers...

Cheers...

07-31-2010 03:18:13 | More by comfortablynumb1
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.