Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,511 | Hads: 11,228
3.6/5  rDev -15.9%

Almost stark black with a fine sticky tan head. Looks very impressive...just like I expect beer to. Smells a little too sweet and hoppy for what an imperial stout should be. I like them meatier and full of roasted flavors. This is an interesting taste. As far as matching what I expect it is not. It is sweeter...almost milky. Very tasty, but lacks a lot of the rich roasted complexities I enjoy. It tastes like hops might overshadow the malts too much. It is a very full bodied beer. Almost a cake like texture to it. Alcohol just lightly warms the stomach and mouth. Excellent mouthfeel. This is a very drinkable beer. I would feel good sharing it with just about anyone. (673 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a rich mahogony with a dark tan head. It has a full bodied aroma that is a wonderful mix of dark malt and fruits. The taste is a bold malt with a bit of bitter roastieness then has an alcohol burn for a finish. Not quite as sweet as I like my RIS, but a nice change of pace. The feel is appropriately heavy and quite smooth, even creamy. I will definately be back for more. I had a serious thirst for a RIS this summer and the store I went to only had this in stock. I have now enjoyed the first 3 from the 4pack and I think I'll set the other one down for a while. I'd like to see if the cherry aroma will show in the taste as it ages. (651 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Pitch black body...only the hints of Coke brown around the edges. Small light tan head on the pour, reduced to pockets of bubbles after a few minutes.

Sweet wine like aroma of dark grapes. Overtones of chocolate and some hints of toasted malts. Hints of alcohol come through and blend well with the aroma. Simple aroma but pleasing. Taste is loaded with toasted flavors. Big hits of chocolate and toffee with coffee coming through as well, quite the contrast to the aroma. Alcohol contributes a bit of a biting burn at the end, but doesn't really detract. Definately a sipper.

Mouthfeel is a little thinner than most stouts, but I find this to be typical of Russian Imperials. Drinkability is good. The alcohol feeling on the stomach limits this. (752 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14%

A: Ruby-black, tan head, some retention & lace.

S: Fruity, sherry, slightly solventy.

T: Dark, burnt chocolate, molases, coffee and a little fruit. Balanced to the bitter side, but a nice depth of flavour.

M: Moderate to full body, moderate carbonation, slightly oily.

D: Maybe even a little below average. (318 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3%

After well over a month of not reviewing to make my taste and views more finite, I thought this was a good beer to start up once again.

A - Pours black with the slightest ring on the outside of the glass and a slightly thin consistency. It appears to be solid, the surface is so blemish free.

S - Lots of coffee and chocolate. I noticed deep fruit upon decanting, but no longer once poured.

T - I've had this on tap, and the bottle isn't any less. Once more, lots of coffee and chocolate. It could be what I had to eat prior to this, but it is finishing a bit sour, the score won't reflect this, but simply making note.

M - Much thicker in the mouth than it looked during the pour. I am a bit more impressed now. Very slippery upon enrty with a tingle going down, well done.

D - The drinkability of this beer increases with each sip. It gets smoother and better as it goes. I hate having the same beer one after another, but I could sure see it happening with this. (981 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally saw this around here at random. I was picking up beer for a concert tailgate and I wasn't even at the good liquor store in my area and saw a lone four pack in the top shelf of a cooler so I had to snag it.

12 Ounce bottle poured into a Brooklyn snifter.

A - A dark oily black with a tight one finger head. Some tiny bublles rush up the side. Lacing sheets the walls of the glass like crazy.

S - Big roasted malt aroma with a candy smell that I can't identify. It's wierd but it seems like all of the malt smells are backed by roasted marshmellow aromas. Very unisue.

T - Wow definitely not what I especet but a very nice flavor nonetheless. A very roasted beginning that makes way to pure espresso flavoring. After that a bit of the sweetness with a tiny alchohol kick comes in. At the end a hop bitterness with a roasted charcet lingers. Definitely an interesting effects since there isn't much of a hop character in the taste. Still that sweetness that really reminds me of roasting marshmellows lead the way and hangs on throughout.

M A great smooth feeling on the tongue.

D - A great one to sip and savor. The sweetness makes you want to sip this one really slowly and relax. (1,205 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a deep opaque black. Nice small bubbled head clears to a fine lace that lasts forever. Scents of chocolate, carmel, vanilla and perhaps figs <?>.
Very little carbonation in the mouth, creamy and smooth feel.
Tastes of chocolate, espresso, and alcohol.
Mega alcohol warmth burs a long time afterwards deep in the chest.
Aftertaste of mlt and bitter chocolate.
Very nice stout.
One is enough....two would have an old man naked on the table singing rap. Not a pretty sight.
Edit:
I was drinking another Rasputin tonight and wanted to re-review. Actually, my review would still be 4.5 across the board. This is an excellent beer....not the best...I still like Stone more...but an excellent, EXCELLENT beer available every day of the week, at a reasonable price.. I'm changing drinkability because I'm pretty sure I could keep my clothes on and definately can drink more than one of these a night. (912 characters)

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Excellent Imperial Stout! Dark brown to almost black color with a thick frothy tan head. Opaque.
Smells of chocolate, caramel, vanilla and very strong alcohol scent.
Again a very strong alcohol taste just like in the aroma but it doesn't take too much away from the overall. I expect alcohol in an imperial stout anyway. Kind of a coffe-ish cappuccino flavor with hints of vanilla.
Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth going down. Not much carbonation and a slight alcohol warmth.
Drinkability is good but is a little hindered by the strong alcohol taste and smell. (565 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

I don't believe in a perfect 5 but I had a real hard time not giving this beer a perfect score. Serve in a pint glass at just below room temp.

Appearance: When you crack open the bottle and pour into your pint glass it initially looks black, until you hold it up to the light you'll notice it is very dark brown and completely opaque (no light gets through this one). Fantastic 3-4 figure head, super frothy. The head is a light brown very tasty foam that lingers for a while and as it fades away, leaves behind thick evidence, that it was there, clinging to the slides of the glass.

Smell: Amazing, enticing smell. Dark roast, mocha coffee. Truly, it made my mouth water at the very sent of it. A complex -- sweet, toasty malty aroma that just echoes in your nose. WOW! Upon further contemplation, there is a slight hint of vanilla and caramel, then its back to the chocolate coffee.

Taste: The taste is just as magnificent as the smell would suggest. It is complex and interesting. As stouts go this is not TOO sweet but just sweet enough. When I think about the taste I come up with: black and toasted yet sweet vanilla chocolate coffee. Whatever all that means. I think this is one of my absolute favorite flavors. Then, to make matters even more heightened; I broke out some dark chocolate Christmas morsels, and snaked on them as I finished my beer. The way they complimented each other was out of this world; divine, or some shit like that. Incredible!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel was near perfect. I like stouts, but most stouts (at least the ones I like) are very heavy, thick, syrupy and sticky in the mouth. Some ice cream or pie helps wash them down. Not for 'Old Rasputin'. This beer is medium bodied, but light for a stout that tastes this dark. It makes this dangerously easy to drink.

Drinkability: While I love most everything about stouts, they are usually not the highest scoring on the drinkability because they are so sweet and so heavy. They taste great but then your full. This beer may be heavier than many, yet as stouts go, (in my experience) this may be the most drinkable, easy down the hatch beer (that is a RIS) I’ve found yet!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (2,209 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

This is a good one!
On tap at Brixx tonight. After a pint or two, I had to switch to something creamy. This was it.
Dark, but not quite black, medium tan head, tight bubbles.
Smells of dark chocolate and alcohol.
Taste was coffee, but somewhat harsh, a hit of alcohol, some creamy sweetness, and an earthy, not exactly hoppy flavor that i'm not exactly sure about. In any case, this tasted great.
Mouthfeel is medium, creamy, smooth, with some alcohol warmth and tingles everywhere.
A great beer, definitely go back, but can't have too many in a row. Only got one tonight.

cheers... (592 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours a jet black opaque body that has tiny little bubbles rising on the edge of the glass. The tan head that is creamy and smooth so fades into a wisp around the rim.

S- Smells of dark roasted and toasted malts are combined with some notes of raisins, coffee and a faint hint of tar. The finish has a nice green spicy quality perhaps from hops.

T- This beer has a slight sour note in the beginning with deep roasted malt and to toasted malt flavors aswell. The hint of coffee and some caramel notes are also the taste. The finish has a dark malt bitterness combined with some hop bitterness.

M- The mouthfeel is medium-full with some creamy texture to it. The alcohol is smooth and soft with a faint hint of astringency.

D- This is a nice big stoic beer that has lots of dark roasted layers. There is a nice creamy quality that makes it drink like a meal. (910 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -15.7%

My first Russian Imperial Stout

A - Black with streeks of reddish brown where the light hits, almost brown head
S - Alcohol, coffee, alcohol and more alcohol
T - Coffee, alcohol, alcohol and more alcohol. If the alcohol was better concealed I would have rated it a 5. Very tasty stout, but the alcohol was a bit distracting
M - Very thick, almost like a doppelbock
D - After one, I was done for the night.

--Joey (422 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Grabbed a four pack at BevMo.

Pours an opaque jet black with little red highlights. Thick foamy tan head with nice bubbly lacing.

Great aroma of roasted and chocolate malts. I can smell the alcohol and hints of black coffee.

Great roasted malt flavors. Sweet hints of caramel and toffee. Tart bitterness of black coffee and chocolate. I can taste and feel the alcohol on my palate and in my belly. Nice dry stout finish. Very nice, a sipper at 9% ABV.

Very good RIStout. Great dessert beer, I enjoyed it with a slice of pumpkin pie and vanilla ice cream. (566 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a very dark brown almost black. Tan head,nice lacing. Smell is of roasted coffee,and carmel. Mouthfeel is fairly thick,and rich. Taste is bittersweet, and smooth with a great finish. I was drinking the beer on a cold,snowy November night,and it sure warmed me up! (269 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

This is currently on tap at My Place in Newtown, CT. Thanks Mark.

The tap is very intriquing. It shows an old Russian gentleman (presumably Rasputin) in black & white with his right hand raised to the crown of his head which I gather is some type of religious symbol. The top of the tap is like the top of a tower. Wish I could explain this more intricately.

Smells and tastes a lovely coffee aroma/malt. Creamy cappuchino looking head. This one is too smooth when the keg is very fresh. Puts the drinkability through the roof for how heavy the brew is.

Pitch black with rose hues at the edges of the glass when held in the light. The bitterness in this beer is balanced so right. It's like a siren calling to you in the night.

Seek this one out on tap. My apologies for the haphazardly written review. I was pretty inebriated at the time. (855 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

From notes 16nov05:

Pours pitch black with no hints of light shining through around the edges. Theres's a thick two finger head that's slow to recede, and leaves behind a rocky cap that never fades away. Lots of thick lacing.

Smell; notes of coffee, chocolate, licorice, roasted malts and a slightly burned toast smell.

Taste; Chocolate, coffee, a touch of vanilla, a little bitter at first from the roasted malts, but that smooths out alot as it warms up. Nice thick, rich and creamy mouthfeel. This is a really good stout, just wish I could go back and get some more. (578 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Big aroma. Tons of roast malt. Some dried plum fruitiness, coffee, burnt sugar. No hops which is good for the style.

Deep black, with some red highlights when held to bright light. Small head but lasting around the edges. Kicks up when you swirll the glass.

Strong bitter flavor from dark roast malt. Ballaced out with lots of sweet base malt. Great fruit flavor and fermentation. Dried cherries, smokey esters. Hop bitterness is pretty high, no hop flavor, in style. Some hot alcohol.

Body is a little low for Imp. Stout. Slightly warming and creamy on the tongue.

Big sipping beer. A little smaller than some Imp. Stouts but it's a classic take on the style. (672 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: This beer poured a dark,black liquid with a tannish caramel like head.Slightly cascading in my glass,and lots of laceing clinging to the sides.

Aroma:The nose is of dark chocolate,roasted coffee bean,butter infused oats and supremely disguised alcohol. A very pleasureable moment indeed.

Taste: Chocolate all over the palate.As this beer warms the alcohol lets itself be known,but not too over powering.Caramel,butterscotch,and a long enticing bitter hop finish.A true masterpiece.(Applaudes)

Mouthfeel: Chewy,syrupy, low carbonation,but would have liked to see a little thicker mouthfeel.

Drinkability: The urge was to pound this beer, but I had to actively slow down and appreciate all of its amazing characteristics. Go out and buy this immediately. A truly orgasmic experience, I want more!

-cheers2beers- (867 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours a dark black with a large head and nice lacing.The smell is very strong with roasted malt and some coffee and chocolate.The taste is truely unbelievable.This is an outstanding beer.You get the full roasted malt flavor with just a hint of coffee and chocolate that's very creamy
The m/f feel is heavy with a full flavor and texture.I don't think I could have too many of these,but man, are they good.
This is one of the best beers I've had in a long time.BUY IT!!! (476 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a deep brown to black with ruby highlights and a thin tan head. Little to no lacing.

Smell is complex with a mixture of coffee, dark malts, chocolate and dark fruit.

The flavor is hearty and filling, as a stout should be. There is an excellent balance between the sweet and bitter flavors.

Mouthfeel is creamy and good. Carbonation is slight but acceptable.

Drinkability is excellent. I bought the 4 pack and I'm ready to finish the first and start on the second. If you like stouts then you will like this brew. (530 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The typical, awesome dark brown/black of an Imperial Stout. It had a small tan head which dissapated quickly, left medium lacing, and smelled of sweet coffee and caramel.
It tasted somewhat hoppy, with hints of sweet furits, roasted malt, coffee, bitter chocolate. The taste was somewhat more pleasant than other Imperial Stouts I've had, but I can't exactly place what was different; I'm going to say it as the balance of the flavors. It had almost a candy sweetness that countered the bitter very well.
It was also not as biting in the mouthfeel as some other Imperials. It finished actually refreshing and as tasty as the first taste. (641 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Served from a bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: Poured a midnight black with a cascading toffee colored head almost 2 inches high. Laced like spider webs throughout the beer drinking session.

Smell: Huge amounts of coffee, chocolate and general fruity goodness. Fantastic sweet floral maltyness stands forth and demands that we "Respect my Authority!"

Taste: No surprises here great maltyness supporting coffee, chocolatey fruity goodness.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is fantastically thick and oily a pleasing full bodied beer. This will go down great when the deep freeze of winter is on. (611 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

This is a class beer.

Every so often I come across a beer that I just gulp down with no regard to its strength, because it's just so damn good. This is one of those beers. As I drink this beer I sit in my chair, shaking my head and exhaling audibly after each sip, at the excellence that is this beer.

You can have your IPAs, your best bitters and all the rest of 'em, because for my money you just can't beat a quality Imperial Stout like this one.

If Victor Kiam had still been around today and drunk this beer he would have forgotten all about his Remmington Microscreen and bought this company instead. Believe you me. (632 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -14.3%

black like a stout should be, dark brown at the edges in some light. with a thick creamy tan head.
rich chocolate and coffee aroma with a touch of what might be mint.
the toasted grain comes through giving nice coffee flavor with out being overly bitter. well balanced and complex enough to be interesting.
is thick, with out the syrup feel. doesn't leave the mouth coated, but has good body.
nice alchol warmth lasts but again is balanced enough not to overpower.
suprised me with how much i liked it. will try again some evening infront of a fire. (555 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Not a big stout fan, but I figured this one was worth trying.
Very creamy looking head. Big and fluffy at first but quickly faded to a lasting tan ring around the glass.
Very nice aroma from this brew as soon as I opened the bottle. Chocolate and roasted nuts. Some sour fruit. Sweet molasses.
Taste is a little tangy at first sip. Then roasted flavors and semi-sweet chocolate. Ends with a significant amount of bitterness, especially for a Russian imperial.
Silky mouthfeel. Smooth. Nice level of carbonation. Expected for the style.
Cited as one of the best Russian imperial stouts.I definitely agree this beer is "up there", though it's not outstanding IMO. (668 characters)

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.