Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,496 | Hads: 11,172
4.41/5  rDev +3%

Very freash case, split umongst a few...
Poured into a "beer clean" 10 oz pils glass. Poured a bit flat then generated a rich, thick, pillow or tan froth, head retention was excellent. The smell of the beer was nothing suprising, the normal smokey, toffee notes of most of this style. Allowed to warm up abit the flavor is "phenominal" and was very enjoyable. Was quite a bit more drinkable than I anticipated, with roasted black malt dominating the pallate, with some caramel/toffe notes swiming around and lingering on my tounge. Mouthfeel was rich & creamy, enticing another drink. Not quite as hoppy as Storm King, but somehow slightly creamier similar to, but not nearly as sweet as a Cream Stout. The alcoholic flavors were not present as in some beers of this magnitude. Honestly, I'm Stouts are not my favorite style as they are not as heavily hopped as I like, but the more of these fantastic examples I try the more I appreciate & enjoy them. A+ for this "Satanic Saint"! (981 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Serving Date:
11 December 2006

Presentation:
Short, brown 12oz bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance:
Pours a dark brown, with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly.

Smell:
Smells of slightly overcooked coffee with a hint of sweetness.

Taste:
Smooth, tingles the tongue. Sweet espresso flavors followed by bitter chalky feel towards the back of the mouth. Creaminess at the front. Hints of a cocoa.

Notes:
A very enjoyable stout. Getting down into the beer allows the nose to be engulfed in the delectable aromas wafting up from the brew before the wonderful flavor hits the lips. Enjoy this one as it warms up. (644 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

Gave this sucker a hard pour and got a nice head out of it that retained decently enough. The head is tan brown and the bubbles are very small and leave a few occasional strands clinging to the glass. An almost opaque black motor oil appearance, but held up to the light it looks like a very very dark reddish brown.
Sweet smell of prunes, raisins, dark chocolate (standard), and ethanol. Nice.
An initial flash of bitterness that mellows out in the middle to the typical dark chocolate taste but also with a sweetness like currants. The aftertaste smooths out even more. Very pleasant.
Full bodied with medium carbonation.
Can hardly taste the alcohol, and could drink this until I die. It feels like a session beer until you realize that it's twice the abv.
This is a good imperial stout available year around, but I either prefer something with stronger flavor (Stone) or complexity (Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout). (922 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Poured from the bottle into a 10 oz. wine glass

A- Pours out a dark, dark, black, with no other light getting through. A brown 1" head tops the stout with great lacing.

S- A bit of a sweet nose comes through, with some dark fruit dominating, raisin, plum, and some prevalent red wine notes. As I continue into the beer more and more aromas of chocolate and coffee emerge, with a definite hint of alcohol. The dark, roasted malt really dominates.

T- Rasputin starts with a nice blast of coffee, yet there is a bit of plum, near the back of the palate. Just a very small amount of dry bitterness presents itself on the tongue. There is a very small amount of of alcohol here. The same dark malts that presented themselves in the nose, are still here to stay in the flavor.

M- Full bodied. Let me say this again. Full bodied. A bit dry toward the finish, but the flavors linger on well beyond the finish. The flavor just hangs on, and won't let go. Thank God. It's thick, and reminds me of the last bit of liquid in the coffee pot.

D- A great beer. Very true to the style. I have heard mentions of Imperial Stouts being akin to Dark Barleywines, and I agree wholeheartedly. This beer just keeps on giving throughout the glass. The flavor lingers Forever, and the nose has something different to enjoy before every sip. This is a perfect beer for hanging around a cold home, or if you are looking to enjoy just one beer for the evening. Highly recommended! (1,459 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours a dark black color with a good one fingered head that quickly subsides but leaves supple lacing throughout the glass.

S: Malty sweetness, bready, roasted oak

T: Very rich earthy flavor that goes down remarkably smooth and at the end of the palate a roastiness that ends on a dry note

M: Very full bodied with little to no carbonation

D: Very drinkable and the evolution of this brew warrants a second go around. (424 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Bottle to snifter. First time with 'Ole Raspy, and North Coast in general.

A - Pours jet black. No light penetration at all. 1 1/2 fingers of creamy mocha head. Great lacing that lasts the entire glass.

S -Biscuity malts, chocolate, roastiness, slight booze tinge. Smells slightly fruity, but I can't quite tell which fruit.

T - Right up front with roasted matls, with toffee and chocolate in there as well. Booze on the finish is belly-warming.

M - Very smooth and creamy, with a pretty full body.

O - Very impressed with this beer. On the smoother side of the IRS spectrum (from what I've had), and it works very well. (625 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -52.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.25

This review will be far from the norm, and doesn't reflect bad on the beer, but my own taste. I do respect this beer for its amazing scores, style, complexity... But with all that being said; I couldn't finish my glass. I tried this beer at the Yardouse with a friend. I hate bitterness, I like smooth, complex, deep, slight hops, lots of malt, type beers. Aboslutely way to bitter for me. I try and finish every beer, even if I don't like it, because I want to be sure I don't like it. I left half of a pint glass with this and the Yardhouse bartender gave me a refund. Not MY cup of tea. (589 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -6.8%

A - beautiful jet black body, upon pouring a creamy head with subtle red tones emerges and lots of lacing can be seen

N - roasty chocolaty malts

M - Creamy and full bodied

T - Well balanced between coffee, chocolate and roasted malts. Begins with a sweet chocolate flavor that transitions into a nice dark coffee, alcohol is also deteactable at this point, finishes with a dry malty bitterness

O - This is the second RIS I've had and I wasn't disappointed. The aroma is strong and flavorful and the taste is excellent, easily drinkable. Would pick this one up again. (571 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -22.4%

A bit to strong of a bite in the beginning very pleasant flavors in the middle coffee, hops, something else I cant put my finger on, the after taste is almost unpleasantly bitter. (180 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -33.6%

Ok, here I go again, trying to decide if my dislike is for the brew or the style. I'm not a fan of Guinness, and I'm not a fan of Old Rasputin RIS for the same reasons. The appearance is enticing; this stout has an inviting syrupy pour with a rich, dark tan, modest head. The bottle opened with more carbonation than I would have expected from a stout. There is moderately sticky lacing as the head slowly subsides. The color is black and passes virtually no light, which I always find amazing for beers that are also free of cloudiness. The smell is good, but with some coffee bitterness that starts the downhill slide for me. (In the interest of full disclosure, I've never learned to like coffee, either.). This beer is all stout, but its taste has a top and bottom without a middle. The top is a prominent hops bitterness, and the bottom consists of slight saltiness with strong roasted, even burnt, flavors. What came to mind was "catmouth" because I kept trying to get it past my tongue long after the swallow. I would have expected the mouthfeel to be more creamy than it is.

If you like Guinness, you will probably really like this offering - the high Ba rating attests to this. However, it is not for me. I gave this a 3.0 overall in deference to the style, but based on personal preference I would have gone lower. So there it is. If you like bitter, cooked coffee stouts like Guinness, this may be for you and I urge you to try it. If, like me, you like rounder stouts like Young's Oatmeal Stout or an imperial like Old Heathen, this North Coast offering may not be your cup of tea. (1,595 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours almost black and with a syrupy appearance. Dark brown head that fades quickly. The smell is overpowering. You know what you are in for. The first sip is heavily bitter and smooth in feel. more bitterness in the aftertaste with a hint of coffee and chocolate. An excellent beer. Not for stout beginners, but everything that a stout lover wants and loves about the style. (375 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%

black/dark brown, almost opaque with a huge tan head! looks luscious.

smells like chocolate, coffee, light caramel, hops.

tastes huge, malty, chocolate/coffee, bitter finish w/alcohol punch.

wow. a nice stout. also leaves a nice lacing on snifter.

a great beer. especially for the price and availibility. (308 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

(Originally Reviewd on 04/16/2010)

North Coast - Old Rasputen Russian Imperial Stout (9% ABV, 12 oz bottle)
Glassware - Yuengling Black & Tan pint glass

A - Pours medium body, I wouldn't say 'motor oil' consistency like some Russian Imperials, but definately not a cola-like Solid caramel head that dissapates soon after the pour. I see no light is passing through this pint glass - dark and lovely the way it should be.

S - Malts, chocolate and coffee hit the nose immediately, some hops and caramel in the mix as I swirl the pint glass. Little smell of alcohol at the end.

T - Light hop on the fromt of the tongue, roasted/burnt malts are the dominant flavor with some bakers chocolate. Strong Coffee/Espresso character. Finishes kinda sweet which is interesting in that it starts out hoppy and harsh.

M - Medium Body, definately not full.As stated above, enters harsh but leaves the mouth with a sweet-like aftertaste. Don't really realize the strength of raspy while drinking it (9% ABV)

D - Easily drinkable, again, watch the ABV, you could easily down a couple of these like they were black & tans! End of the pint glass was like a frothy milkshake. Enjoyable Stout, nice complex flavor. The malts, coffee and chocolate create a good balance of harsh and sweet, the light hops are refreshing. (1,304 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer is a real powder keg, a cascade of flavour. Tasting it is a bit like being punched in the face, without the pain of course. There are many lovely roasted tones, and a great deal of strong coffee and dark chocolate in the flavour. I feel that this is really the way an excellent Imperial Stout should taste like. Despite the flavour, it is rather easy to quaff this brew, and it is really the quintessential beer to kick back and relax with, especially during a cold winter day when the darkness outside reflects the colour in your glass. (547 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

S - chocolate, toffee, malty, hoppy, it smells great!
A - pitch black. One finger tan head that disappears right away.
T - malty, dark coffee in flavor with hints of bitter chocolate, caramel. Hops is intense and will hit the palate right away but gradually disappears.
M - very smooth, medium bodied, bitterness at start but none at finish
D - very drinkable and cheap, like milk! Really! (392 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +10%

I don't know if I've been so pleasantly surprised by a dark....and I do mean DARK beer, ever in my life. It had that nifty rich head, which is a walnut color and it sat thick and tidy on top of the brew. The color was as black as night and very smooth feeling for something I was expecting to be heavy and syrupy. The powerful coffee opener was magical, there was NO BITTER BITE at the tail end. I was entranced. I broke out some organic white chocolate bark from Baltimore with almonds and blueberries it. The pairing was incredible. I don't get this excited about beers. I can't wait to carry it at the bar!!! (611 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - poured into snifter. Poured a dark dark almost burnt motor oil color. With a mocha 1 head with small bubbles. Head diminished quickly. The color was solid black with almost no Amber or Moahagany at the bottom lacing very thick

S - very malty chocolate notes, plum, brown sugar, boozey scent, vanilla, coffee, burnt grains. Very complex and amazing smells

T - Roasted malts upfront with a chocolate coffee taste on the end with caramel sweetness. So goood. The finishing taste changes to me. I get vanilla one sip, caramel the other, malt and coffee the other

M - thick silky creamy feel very heavy. This Stout is very bubbly.

O - this imperial Stout is a sipper and is very good. The flavors are always changing on my palate and always amazed by every sip. The only thing not making it perfect was the carbonation it was overwhelming at first but after letting it sit for a bit the flavors busted and the carbonation died down.. Great stout

Enjoy (957 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

appearance is a dark brown to black with brown head that foamed nicely at first with a few large bubbles developing.
aroma is of dark roasted barley and hints of coffee.
tastes very much a coffee with what seems to me a hint of dark fruits. an alcohol pepperiness is quite apparent. the beer finishes with the same peppery flavour that eases into a strong hoppy bite. very enjoyable. (387 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured this from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip. Near black. One finger, khaki head retains well with a nice lacing.

Smell. Dark chocolate, raisins, roasted malts, vanilla, biscuit and hints of alcohol.

Taste. Coffee is the most present on the palate. Dark chocolate, roasted malts, biscuits and hops. There is also some serious booze going on in here, especially when it warms up a bit. Very warming taste. Lovely.

Mouthfeel. Full bodied, creamy, smooth with a nice amount of carbonation to give it a strong backbone.

Drinkability. This is a potent offering that drinks easy but certainly one that I need to pace myself with. I see myself finishing this off after a nice big meal as a desert. Taking my time, savoring the flavors and let the warmth it has to offer wash over me. (781 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Was looking for another beer when I spotted this gem. Having only heard of it's wonders, I immediately bought a bottle.

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Beer was not super chilled, but still fairly cold.

First impression, WOW!! Super dark color. Nice dark head of about 2.5".

The head dissippated as I wrote the start of the review. Smells wonderful, like a strong oatmeal/imperial.

Lacing appears to be very prevalent.

first sip...had to take 2. Very complex. Nice sweetness to go with the hops. subtle chocolate and carmel. Nice big finish with a touch of spiciness. Big round oatmeal taste.

I wish I had bought the pack now instead of just a single.

Mouthfeel is thick, but not too heavy. Although it's a super complex flavor, it's still easy to drink. The finish sits very long.

I may have found one of my new favorite beers.

**edit**

I can imagine cellaring this beer and it will only grow. Some bottle time on this would be nice. (964 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

longtime beer drinker, first time reviewer

poured into a pint glass, this liquid comes out damn near black with a brown frothy head two fingers deep that lingers on the top somewhat and laces the glass all the way down

it smells like a nice stout, immediately the roasted malts come to the nose followed by a nice coffee smell, can barely smell the boose

very good flavor to this beer, mainly near burnt malts ,lots of coffee, creamy dark chocolate incorporated with a nutty flavor, the high abv doesn't affect the flavor of of the beer

feels perfect in the mouth, not to thick, a nice big creamy beer.

not a session beer but i could drink alot more of these beers and i will (680 characters)

Poured from a bottle into a glass, this beer was darker then my cast iron skillet. Truly beautiful color to this beer!
Almost no head was left a minute after pouring, just a slight ring around the glass. Though, immediately after pouring a light brown foaminess was present.
The notes in this beer changed throughout, upon pouring I was hit with an oceany seaweed saltiness which, after a minute, turned into heady roasted chocolate malt scent. Finally I was left with a slight hint of burnt coffee. A deep inhalation will let the drinker take note of the alcohol present.
This beer is thick with an almost creamlike consistency.
The taste; wow, even a minute after a sip of this beer my taste buds feel like they are fizzing with flavor, very deep strong taste throughout the whole palate.
This is a great beer if you like stouts, if you don't like very heavy heady beer, I wouldn't even try this beer. Personally, I love stouts, and have very rarely had a stout better then this one, in fact only one comes to mind, though it isn't available where I live.
I would, and do, drink this beer often. This is by far the best stout available in Hawaii! (1,156 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours black as coal with a tiny head,smells of coffee and roasted malts a small bite of cocoa,This is a well balanced stout lots of malt and hop character,just the right amount of alcohol on the exhale,easy drinker readily available and fair priced make this a cornerstone in my fridge (285 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

A: nice black color with a brown/tan head that fades immediately.

S: chocolate, coffee, with just a bit of hops

T: smooth chocolatey, hints of toffee, subtle hops, and an after taste of very mild booze

M: very enjoyable, medium high carbonation, but not thick at all.

O: very nice RIS, not my favorite, but perfect for a social gathering. will come back to this RIS. (371 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

I love the Old Rasputin bottle. It just looks like a manly beer.
It pours out a dark dark brown color with about 1 fingers worth of light brown head. The smells are amazing.
The taste is pretty darn good. Defiantly one of the better Imperial Stouts out there. Its complex, but not too much. Subtle hints in chocolate are there and then gone and it leaves you with a warn alcohol taste. You get a great carbonation that makes this beer very drinkable. (451 characters)

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.