Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,540 | Hads: 11,417
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Old Rasputin has a wonderful, thick, brown head and a rich, deep, black color. It has a strong, thick and creamy malt flavor that is both sweet and bitter, with a mild roasted/burnt aftertaste and a roasty aroma. This imperial stout has a full-bodied consistency with an alcoholic warmth that will bring a smile to your face and a nice warm glow to your cheeks on a cold winter night. It finishes with a big hop bitterness that lingers. Brussels lace stays on the sides of the glass right to the bottom. Old Rasputin is an excellent example of the imperial stout style.

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a brandy snifter.

Jet black, used motor oil color with an average sized cream colored head. Lacing is solid.

Smell is malty; very roasted chocolately smell. I think I will have to let the beer warm some more before I can pick anything else out.

Taste is almost immediately coffee, with chocolate following, finished by an almost (raisin?) rum like followthrough. Alcohol warms in the finish. Very clean tasting beer but with lots of flavor. Hop bitterness is present but not in the fore; malt is the leading character in this play.

Medium to high carbonation and jam packed with flavor give the feeling of drinking a meal. Very full-bodied beer. The 9%abv is definately noticeable.

I will be drinking this again. Now I can say that I understand the hype surrounding this beer!

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Not sure why I waited so long to review this. This is a good beer that I have regularly.

Looks- it is basically black with a tan head and good lacing.

Smell- Cofee and chocolate.

Taste. more coffee and chocolate gets better as it warms.

Mouth feel - smooth and rich feel. Very good.

Drimkibility. this one takes a while. It is a good one to have after dinner and savor it for a while. it relaxes me... Might have something to do with the alcohol content:) Overall a great beer at a great price.

3.86/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought a single of this beer earlier tonight. This was one of the first beers for me when I converted from cheap beer.

Color- dark brown

Head-thick,tan two finger foam/ the residue left on side of glass suggests a thicker consistency

Aroma-a little floral pretty complex almost a woodsy smell

Taste-oaky or bourbon flavor/some hints of coffee heavy bitterness in the end and alcohol taste was present.

After trying many other russian imperial stouts I would have to say this one is worthy of an occassional buy, but doesn't stand out among the elites.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

This is an excellent stout. Poured a 12oz bottle into an English tulip pint. Pours black w a thick brown head. It's not a motor oil pour like w some heavier stouts.

The smell is chocolate w the slightest hint of coffee. Not overly nutty or malty / smoky like other stouts.

The taste and mouthfeel are great. It's fairly light bodied bit yet the finish is warm and memorable. The aftertaste really settles well and is probably the best quality of this beer.

As the bros said in their review this is the perfect chill beer. Very drinkable stout.

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

One of my all-time favorites. Poured into a pint glass, I had no trouble making a ridiculous perfectly foamy tan head that sat upon the black sea of liquid. Lacing is great and you have a sudsy film floating around the whole time your drinking, which might not be as long as you might expect with a strong brew like this. It has a very strong, roasted character. It smells almost woodsy or yeasty. There is coffee in there somewhere, perhaps even espresso? It has a decent hop bite too. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming for me. Definitely a sipper, it's just overwhelming with flavor and so damn heavy. It really stays on the tongue too. By far my favorite I've had by this brewery. I am going to try my hand at brewing a clone of this later this week. Looking at the grain bill, I can see why it is such an intense beer.

I had this at Cask Republic in New Haven, CT on tap into a snifter.

It arrived as a lovely dark color with a nice tan head that lasted throughout. Nice lacing. Nice bitterness balanced well by the creaminess and a pronounced alcohol bite at the finish. This was my first time drinking this--hopefully many more to come. Definitely a sipper at 9% alcohol.

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

The high alcohol content took a little away from it. I would have enjoyed this beer more at 7.00 abv. As for the particulars rated above: strong point is its look and smell. The alcohol is what equated to the taste & mouthfeel rating being lower than the olfactory.

I'd drink this with dessert in a small 6oz glass.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

This is a tremendous imperial stout. That being said, it is a little lacking in the hoppiness that characterizes most of these beer types, and it could use a little more of that. Otherwise, it's all quite solid. It pours pitch black with a small tan head that sticks around for quite a long time. It smells mostly like chocolate. The taste is similar. The overwhelming flavor in this beer is of chocolate. The mouthfeel is a little sticky and smooth, very pleasant. Overall, this is a world-class RIS that I would highly recommend to anyone.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

My first review!

Served slightly chilled from bottle into stem glass.

appearance: Being a stout, you're not going to see anything surprising here, but it still looks very appetizing, like a fresh espresso. Black as night, a moderate pour produces an average sized, bubbly khaki/light brown head that settles down to a layer of foam.

smell: Roasted malts, coffee, maybe a bit of alcohol, very nice

taste: Chocolate, black licorice, and (my favorite) dark fruits or raisins come through here along with the coffee, ending with some good warmth from the alcohol. I gotta have some of this in the winter! It's a big stout for sure, but I don't find the flavor overpowering.

mouthfeel: Not as thick as I was expecting, more on the medium side, but it doesn't get in the way

overall: Old Rasputin is a nice, big imperial stout. I usually don't drink beers this big, and was surprised by how long it took to finish a bottle. The flavors are well balanced and it's not gonna wreck your palate, but having two in a short time period will definitely knock you off your donkey. Not exactly a beer you'd have at a party, but it's good sipping during a movie or reading a book (it will take half the movie to finish).

Drank cold from regular glass poured from bottle.

Look: Very dark brown/black with red tinges on the edge. Pretty large, tan colored head (medium pouring) with lots of lacing. Head lasts a few minutes then dies down.

Smell: Malty, slightly boozy smell with roasted coffee notes.

Taste: Dark roasted coffee and bitter chocolate, molasses flavors. The 9% abv is pretty well masked, with the bitterness of coffee/chocolate and warming sensation of alcohol on the back of the tongue and throat on the finish.

Feel: Decently thick, it has a nice smooth mouth feel with slight carbonation.

Overall: Excellent stout, one of the best ones I've had. Will definitely be buying again.

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%

Very freash case, split umongst a few...
Poured into a "beer clean" 10 oz pils glass. Poured a bit flat then generated a rich, thick, pillow or tan froth, head retention was excellent. The smell of the beer was nothing suprising, the normal smokey, toffee notes of most of this style. Allowed to warm up abit the flavor is "phenominal" and was very enjoyable. Was quite a bit more drinkable than I anticipated, with roasted black malt dominating the pallate, with some caramel/toffe notes swiming around and lingering on my tounge. Mouthfeel was rich & creamy, enticing another drink. Not quite as hoppy as Storm King, but somehow slightly creamier similar to, but not nearly as sweet as a Cream Stout. The alcoholic flavors were not present as in some beers of this magnitude. Honestly, I'm Stouts are not my favorite style as they are not as heavily hopped as I like, but the more of these fantastic examples I try the more I appreciate & enjoy them. A+ for this "Satanic Saint"!

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Serving Date:
11 December 2006

Short, brown 12oz bottle. No freshness date.

Pours a dark brown, with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly.

Smells of slightly overcooked coffee with a hint of sweetness.

Smooth, tingles the tongue. Sweet espresso flavors followed by bitter chalky feel towards the back of the mouth. Creaminess at the front. Hints of a cocoa.

A very enjoyable stout. Getting down into the beer allows the nose to be engulfed in the delectable aromas wafting up from the brew before the wonderful flavor hits the lips. Enjoy this one as it warms up.

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Gave this sucker a hard pour and got a nice head out of it that retained decently enough. The head is tan brown and the bubbles are very small and leave a few occasional strands clinging to the glass. An almost opaque black motor oil appearance, but held up to the light it looks like a very very dark reddish brown.
Sweet smell of prunes, raisins, dark chocolate (standard), and ethanol. Nice.
An initial flash of bitterness that mellows out in the middle to the typical dark chocolate taste but also with a sweetness like currants. The aftertaste smooths out even more. Very pleasant.
Full bodied with medium carbonation.
Can hardly taste the alcohol, and could drink this until I die. It feels like a session beer until you realize that it's twice the abv.
This is a good imperial stout available year around, but I either prefer something with stronger flavor (Stone) or complexity (Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout).

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from the bottle into a 10 oz. wine glass

A- Pours out a dark, dark, black, with no other light getting through. A brown 1" head tops the stout with great lacing.

S- A bit of a sweet nose comes through, with some dark fruit dominating, raisin, plum, and some prevalent red wine notes. As I continue into the beer more and more aromas of chocolate and coffee emerge, with a definite hint of alcohol. The dark, roasted malt really dominates.

T- Rasputin starts with a nice blast of coffee, yet there is a bit of plum, near the back of the palate. Just a very small amount of dry bitterness presents itself on the tongue. There is a very small amount of of alcohol here. The same dark malts that presented themselves in the nose, are still here to stay in the flavor.

M- Full bodied. Let me say this again. Full bodied. A bit dry toward the finish, but the flavors linger on well beyond the finish. The flavor just hangs on, and won't let go. Thank God. It's thick, and reminds me of the last bit of liquid in the coffee pot.

D- A great beer. Very true to the style. I have heard mentions of Imperial Stouts being akin to Dark Barleywines, and I agree wholeheartedly. This beer just keeps on giving throughout the glass. The flavor lingers Forever, and the nose has something different to enjoy before every sip. This is a perfect beer for hanging around a cold home, or if you are looking to enjoy just one beer for the evening. Highly recommended!

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

A: Pours a dark black color with a good one fingered head that quickly subsides but leaves supple lacing throughout the glass.

S: Malty sweetness, bready, roasted oak

T: Very rich earthy flavor that goes down remarkably smooth and at the end of the palate a roastiness that ends on a dry note

M: Very full bodied with little to no carbonation

D: Very drinkable and the evolution of this brew warrants a second go around.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Bottle to snifter. First time with 'Ole Raspy, and North Coast in general.

A - Pours jet black. No light penetration at all. 1 1/2 fingers of creamy mocha head. Great lacing that lasts the entire glass.

S -Biscuity malts, chocolate, roastiness, slight booze tinge. Smells slightly fruity, but I can't quite tell which fruit.

T - Right up front with roasted matls, with toffee and chocolate in there as well. Booze on the finish is belly-warming.

M - Very smooth and creamy, with a pretty full body.

O - Very impressed with this beer. On the smoother side of the IRS spectrum (from what I've had), and it works very well.

2.03/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.25

This review will be far from the norm, and doesn't reflect bad on the beer, but my own taste. I do respect this beer for its amazing scores, style, complexity... But with all that being said; I couldn't finish my glass. I tried this beer at the Yardouse with a friend. I hate bitterness, I like smooth, complex, deep, slight hops, lots of malt, type beers. Aboslutely way to bitter for me. I try and finish every beer, even if I don't like it, because I want to be sure I don't like it. I left half of a pint glass with this and the Yardhouse bartender gave me a refund. Not MY cup of tea.

3.99/5  rDev -6.6%

A - beautiful jet black body, upon pouring a creamy head with subtle red tones emerges and lots of lacing can be seen

N - roasty chocolaty malts

M - Creamy and full bodied

T - Well balanced between coffee, chocolate and roasted malts. Begins with a sweet chocolate flavor that transitions into a nice dark coffee, alcohol is also deteactable at this point, finishes with a dry malty bitterness

O - This is the second RIS I've had and I wasn't disappointed. The aroma is strong and flavorful and the taste is excellent, easily drinkable. Would pick this one up again.

3.32/5  rDev -22.2%

A bit to strong of a bite in the beginning very pleasant flavors in the middle coffee, hops, something else I cant put my finger on, the after taste is almost unpleasantly bitter.

2.84/5  rDev -33.5%

Ok, here I go again, trying to decide if my dislike is for the brew or the style. I'm not a fan of Guinness, and I'm not a fan of Old Rasputin RIS for the same reasons. The appearance is enticing; this stout has an inviting syrupy pour with a rich, dark tan, modest head. The bottle opened with more carbonation than I would have expected from a stout. There is moderately sticky lacing as the head slowly subsides. The color is black and passes virtually no light, which I always find amazing for beers that are also free of cloudiness. The smell is good, but with some coffee bitterness that starts the downhill slide for me. (In the interest of full disclosure, I've never learned to like coffee, either.). This beer is all stout, but its taste has a top and bottom without a middle. The top is a prominent hops bitterness, and the bottom consists of slight saltiness with strong roasted, even burnt, flavors. What came to mind was "catmouth" because I kept trying to get it past my tongue long after the swallow. I would have expected the mouthfeel to be more creamy than it is.

If you like Guinness, you will probably really like this offering - the high Ba rating attests to this. However, it is not for me. I gave this a 3.0 overall in deference to the style, but based on personal preference I would have gone lower. So there it is. If you like bitter, cooked coffee stouts like Guinness, this may be for you and I urge you to try it. If, like me, you like rounder stouts like Young's Oatmeal Stout or an imperial like Old Heathen, this North Coast offering may not be your cup of tea.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours almost black and with a syrupy appearance. Dark brown head that fades quickly. The smell is overpowering. You know what you are in for. The first sip is heavily bitter and smooth in feel. more bitterness in the aftertaste with a hint of coffee and chocolate. An excellent beer. Not for stout beginners, but everything that a stout lover wants and loves about the style.

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%

black/dark brown, almost opaque with a huge tan head! looks luscious.

smells like chocolate, coffee, light caramel, hops.

tastes huge, malty, chocolate/coffee, bitter finish w/alcohol punch.

wow. a nice stout. also leaves a nice lacing on snifter.

a great beer. especially for the price and availibility.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

(Originally Reviewd on 04/16/2010)

North Coast - Old Rasputen Russian Imperial Stout (9% ABV, 12 oz bottle)
Glassware - Yuengling Black & Tan pint glass

A - Pours medium body, I wouldn't say 'motor oil' consistency like some Russian Imperials, but definately not a cola-like Solid caramel head that dissapates soon after the pour. I see no light is passing through this pint glass - dark and lovely the way it should be.

S - Malts, chocolate and coffee hit the nose immediately, some hops and caramel in the mix as I swirl the pint glass. Little smell of alcohol at the end.

T - Light hop on the fromt of the tongue, roasted/burnt malts are the dominant flavor with some bakers chocolate. Strong Coffee/Espresso character. Finishes kinda sweet which is interesting in that it starts out hoppy and harsh.

M - Medium Body, definately not full.As stated above, enters harsh but leaves the mouth with a sweet-like aftertaste. Don't really realize the strength of raspy while drinking it (9% ABV)

D - Easily drinkable, again, watch the ABV, you could easily down a couple of these like they were black & tans! End of the pint glass was like a frothy milkshake. Enjoyable Stout, nice complex flavor. The malts, coffee and chocolate create a good balance of harsh and sweet, the light hops are refreshing.

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

This beer is a real powder keg, a cascade of flavour. Tasting it is a bit like being punched in the face, without the pain of course. There are many lovely roasted tones, and a great deal of strong coffee and dark chocolate in the flavour. I feel that this is really the way an excellent Imperial Stout should taste like. Despite the flavour, it is rather easy to quaff this brew, and it is really the quintessential beer to kick back and relax with, especially during a cold winter day when the darkness outside reflects the colour in your glass.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.