Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Pours dark brown, with a relatively dense layer of foam - perhaps a quarter-inch or so. Fantastic lacing all the way down the glass.

Aromas are a bit boozy, heavy on coffee and chocolate.

Flavors are strong with roasted coffee and bitter chocolate. There is some balancing bitterness that has a bit of a grassy note to it, but there is a lingering bitter cocoa taste in the linger. Mouthfeel is not as heavy as I expected, and it was rather smooth.

Easy to drink and very enjoyable. Definitely recommended.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

12oz bottle, picked up from Deluxe Foods in Aptos, CA in June 2009.

A - Coffee black, with just a shade of color around the edges when held up to the light. Struggled to muster a one-finger head, decent lacing on the glass.

S - Alcohol, burnt sugar, coffee. Very pleasant. As it warms it gets sweeter and sweeter.

T - Not as sweet as it smells, which is welcome -- so many RIS seem a bit too sweet for me. Dark coffee, some earthy overtones. And alcohol. Wasn't sure about it at first, but as I get past the halfway mark it's growing on me.

M - Not as thick as I had imagined. Some alcohol burn, seems grainy for some reason, and oily. But it works for the most part.

D - Definitely warming me up. The high ABV makes me think I should stick to just one, but as I finish the first I'm already craving another.

Overall, I have to say that I really liked this beer. Worthy of the hype, especially for the price. I think I'll be stopping by for another couple 4-packs.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Beer pours jet black with a brown head that fades back into the glass. It can easily be recovered with a gentle swirl of the glass. No highlights.

The aroma is of burnt toast, roasted dark coffee, and dark chocolate or maybe bakers chocolate. Everything is very well balanced with nothing sticking out.

The taste starts off semi-sweet with notes of chocolate, coffee, and toast. The finish is like the after taste of black coffee but with no bitterness. Very well balanced and not at all cloying for the extreme amount of alcohol, which does not even make an appearance in the taste.

The beer is very smooth, very pleasant to sip.

Very enjoyable beer. It is nice to finally get to try it and have in actually live up to the hype. I would certainly recommend this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass.

A: completely black, two finger mocha colored head. Head stayed quite a while.
S: Definite coffee, some chocolate, earthy.
T: Amazing! Chocolately, lots of malt, some coffee, some bitter aftertaste but very nice. Alcohol is well-hidden.
M: smooth, but very solid.
O: Great taste, feel. I would drink this anytime. One of the best stouts I've ever had.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A - This stuff pours with an opaque BLACK body...nice and dark. My pour wasn't especially aggressive, but this brew produced an ambitious 3 finger dark tan head. Looks delicious!

S - This smells absolutely delectable. Chocolate is foremost in the aroma, followed by some roasted malts. The chocolate gives a nice sweet aroma that plays so nicely with just a twinge of the roasted malt. Wow, can't wait drink this.

T & M - The aroma built me up and the flavor certainly did not let me down. That huge chocolate body is accented by a bit more roasted malt than the nose let on, and then accentuated with some slight hop bitterness toward the end. Yummy. Full bodied and the alcohol is well masked. Creamy mouthfeel with a bit of bitter chocolate aftertaste.

D - This is a beautiful example of the RIS style. Very drinkable and a brew for North Coast to be proud of.

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into snifter glass

A: Dark, dark, dark. Very small amount of tan head with lacing.

S: Incredibly fragrant, strong coffee tones in the nose.

T & M: Wow, my beer journey has led me to my first RIS and I knew this was the first one I wanted to try. I used to strongly dislike stouts and porters but my tastes have changed so much that I love this beer. Very smooth coffee tones up front but a nice amount of bitterness in the mouthfeel. I also agree with other reviewers in that there is some smokiness as well. I now see why RIS as a whole and especially Old Rasputin specifically are well regarded.

D: Drinkable but I'm not sure I could drink more than one in a sitting due to the ABV and the overall thickness of the brew.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours black coffee with a dark foam that shrinks down to a small surface cover. Faint smell, coffee, sherry, little burn in the belly. Not to much sweetness, but not too bitter. Very mellow for the alcohol content. Nice sipping beer. My friends really liked it as well.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

A: Completely pitch black beer with a two finger tan head. The head continues to form and grow after the beer is poured, then VERY slowly drops back down (in fact the head was still there by the time I finished this slow-sipping beer), leaving a fair amount of lacing in its wake.

S: Big aroma, delivering what you'd expect from a stout: lots of malty sweetness, chocolate, coffee.

T: Hits powerfully upfront with chocolaty sweetness, roasted malts and bitter coffee all in one go. The sweetness is pretty overwhelming, and I thought I was going to find this beer cloying until the sweetness disappeared leaving a nice chocolate malts bitterness in my mouth. Finishes strong with alcohol warmth.

M: Thick and creamy with very little carbonation. Tends to stick in the back of the throat.

O: A solid stout. Big flavors, good balance and it uses the alcohol to enhance the beer, rather than just hiding it completely. It is certainly sweet, but not cloyingly so. Definitely a sipper.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Had on tap, a great winter beer. I haven't really been too big into stouts but lately more so and this one is truly fantastic. Totally black color with a nice minimal carbonation and super frothy creamy head, only about a centimeter thick. Lace clings to the glass like mud.
Smells very toasty and roast from the malt. Clean and alcoholic at the same time with some spiciness. Taste is very smooth and rich almost sweeter toward the beginning but that fades away quickly with the roasted/burt malt and coffee characteristic of the middle. The finish is hoppy and still coffee like with a little milk chocolate and slightly sweet.
Super creamy mouthfeel, very light carbonation. Very worth it to pick some of this up again.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.