Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros

stinadez, Aug 09, 2012

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Creosote, Sep 29, 2014

pmatz2, May 11, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

My, oh my. Needless to say I was thrilled when I saw that my grocer was carrying a Russian Imperial Stout. This is my first. I love stouts and porter's but where I live the selection is not great.

This beer pours a great head (my myspace picture is a fresh pour into a snifter glass). The aroma is respectable, the taste is dominated by dark chocolate, it's a pretty sweet beer. It reminds me of Rogue's Chocoloate Stout but is not quite as complex and bites harder than the Rogue Choc. Stout. However, it does not fee like 9% alcohol that is for sure.

This is one of my new favorites, my only request would be a little more bitterness or a second malt flavor to jump out other than just the dark chocolate. As is it is very drinkable and worth the price.

Adamthome1, Dec 21, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Pitch black, foamy, tan head with rather big bubbles.
S: Caramel, chocolate, fudge, dark berries.
T: Licorice, charcoal, bitterness. Aftertaste the same, lingers. Tomtebrus (swedish extremely salty licorice powder).
M: Full body, moderate carboration. Dryish.
D: Very good.

This is ofcourse a very good brew, but for some reasons my expactations were so high it might have hurt the tasting. Expected deeper taste.

Hammarby, Mar 30, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours dark brown nearly opaque, translucent edges show held in the light.

Sweet dark roast malt, some alcohol,coffee, caramel,cocoa, with tingly cedar edges.

Sweet mocha coffee,citrus(lime), bitter hop,

Chewy drying cocoa caramel foamy head adds to flavor and texture of this medium-body stout.

Every sip so smooth, it have to be good.

cbn, Aug 22, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass a darck chocolate brown, almost black with a creamy brown head that left the glass quickly and left no lacing at all on the glass.

Oder is that of roasted coffee with a hint of chocolate. Alcohol is also a prominent scent.

Taste is pretty much roasted malt with an alcohol backround that's not too overpowering. Very good tasting stout. Kind of a coffee backround to it, yum!!!

Beautiful creamy mouthfeel that stuck to my toungue. OUTSTANDING!!!

This is definatly an after dinner beer. I can only handle 2 of these in one sitting.

hoppheadIPA, Dec 06, 2008
4.3/5  rDev 0%

I had the beer on tap at Brixie's bar in Brookfield,IL. (The bar turned me into a craft brew snobb, but that's for another date.) I found the beer to be black in appearence with a typical crawling stout head. On the initial sip I noticed a bitter hard alcoholish stout/ malty beginning iwth a choclatey milkshake like robust finish (hoppy). I give the beer an A.

RJUGA03, Nov 11, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Market of Choice for selling this beer. I finally got to try this beer served in a snifter glass, and drank it in honor of the Man in Black from LOST. Smell was very clean, this beer is a dark brown. I felt that 9% alcohol really served it's purpose, and I don't think I could drink more than 2-3 of these beers in one sitting. However, I enjoyed this very much.

bradleyp, May 24, 2010

meetyouoverboard, May 14, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours with about an inch of tan head. The head is frothy with large bubbles, leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Retention is decent. It dies down to a thick film after a few minutes.
S - Fresh smelling. Definitely a roasted smell, mostly of dark chocolate. Hard to detect much coffee in the nose, though it is certainly there. Smells fresh, rich and slightly bitter.
T - Quite a few flavours simultaneously. You get a very nice coffee flavour running in the background with a smokey touch to it. Opposite to that coffee bitterness is a sweet and rich chocolate taste that initially comes across as a sweet milk chocolate then dies down into a much darker chocolate flavour. Alcohol is well concealed with the rich range of flavours.
M/D - Smooth and not overly heavy. I would say it's medium bodied. Easy drinking.

I've had a few 4-packs of Old Rasputin before and they've consistently been excellent stouts. Highly recommended.

StarshipPoopers, May 16, 2011

Dabeel, Jun 05, 2013

Cowcakes, Jun 24, 2012

cletetron, Mar 20, 2012
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.