Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

After well over a month of not reviewing to make my taste and views more finite, I thought this was a good beer to start up once again.

A - Pours black with the slightest ring on the outside of the glass and a slightly thin consistency. It appears to be solid, the surface is so blemish free.

S - Lots of coffee and chocolate. I noticed deep fruit upon decanting, but no longer once poured.

T - I've had this on tap, and the bottle isn't any less. Once more, lots of coffee and chocolate. It could be what I had to eat prior to this, but it is finishing a bit sour, the score won't reflect this, but simply making note.

M - Much thicker in the mouth than it looked during the pour. I am a bit more impressed now. Very slippery upon enrty with a tingle going down, well done.

D - The drinkability of this beer increases with each sip. It gets smoother and better as it goes. I hate having the same beer one after another, but I could sure see it happening with this.

3.55/5  rDev -17.4%

Oh my god, you cant even see through it! Now this is a stout! First taste was like an uber concentrated form of Guinness Extra. Bitter as f$#^! In fact, I felt the effects of the alcohol about three sips into it. Then it hit my yacking mechanism.

I couldn't even finish it halfway. God I feel like a prick. Wasted such a good beer on a drain pour, but it was just undrinkable to the max. Overwhelming flavors topped with alcohol that seemed like there was 5 shots of rum in it. Maybe I'm not ready for a real beer, or the other beers I had earlier in the day maxed out my consumption for the day. I'll start with this next time because it was just beautiful beer. Darkest I've ever seen with a head that filled a hefe glass with just a 12 oz bottle. Suprised that the lacing wasn't that heavy. Very well done on the appearance, but drinkability? Horrid. Don't get me wrong, the taste is awesome in about 200 different ways, but blah! Feels like you have to choke it down, and that makes it completely un-enjoyable.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Black body with a 1 1/2 finger, light tan head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving great lacing on the sides and clumps on the top.

S: Roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate hit the nose first. Some light hops, alcohol, molasses, and slight burnt grain are there as well. Smells pretty darn good.

T: Matches smell, but only better. Great coffee/roasted malts, graininess, definitely chocolate, some dark fruits (plums, currents, etc.) and some nice hops to add to it. Some boozy alcohol is there that increases as the temperature rises. Has a dry finish. Damn... This stuff is better than I remembered.

M: Fits it nicely. Medium/full body with medium carbonation that goes done as easy as can be!

D: Not bad... Not bad at all. A very good tasting stout that I once thought to be over rated. Alcohol booziness gets there a tad bit in the end, which no doubt they intended it that way, but lowers my drinkability rating a .5.

3.2/5  rDev -25.6%

Bottle into my Tulip

A: looks pitch dark with a 2" thick foam after an aggressive pour.

S: coffee, toffee, roasted malt, burned malt, dark fruit, alcohol

T: roasted & astringent malt characters and huge bitterness from hops. Hop bitterness seem to be in a bit ahead of the game. This bitterness lingers on the tongue for quite a while with a little bit of alcohol sweetness.

M: silky smooth at first, but the bitterness sticks.

D: although it feels dry beer, it's also quite bitter. It is a good sipping beer.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

served out of the bottle into a pint glass. pours dark black with a tan foamy head about 2 in. thick. head reduces to 1/2 in. thick foam remain. exceptionally thick lace remains as well.

dark roasted malt and chocolate with a hint of hop notes and slight alcohol to finish.

initial strong malt and immediate coffee flavor. then sweetens again and finished with floral like hops. very complex and very good!!

full bodied as to be expected. thick and rich flavors just mellow on the pallet.

very good beer!! MUST TRY!!!

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.6/5  rDev +7%

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Stout pours black with brown edges when held to light. Nice light tan head slowly dissipates. Looks quite thick. Smell is of big roasted malt and espresso, with roasted grain and raisin.

Taste is rich and sweet like molasses, roast grain and malt provide a nice biting counterpoint. Bitter chocolate, licorice, and burnt flavors are part of the supporting cast. Gets better as it warms.

Mouthfeel is good, mouthwatering even. Drinkability is excellent for a 9% ABV Imperial Stout. This is one of the best, and probably the "best buy" of big stouts.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

I've been hearing about this beer for a while and I finally was lucky enough to find a fourpack at hyvee for 9 bucks. I went back a few days later and not a trace was left. It pours black. Not inky black like some others but dark enough. The amazing part is that you can see the bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass to the top! I don't know what is causing it and it's the firts time i've ever seen in it. Head retention is pretty good not that I care. It smells like the typical Imperial stout, burnt. It tastes pretty complex for suck a heavy beer. I can detect a bit of citrus and rose on the front of the toungue. Maybe a little bitter for my taste but still delicious. The picture of Rasputin on the front is great. I'm surprised I found this in august as i usually thing of imperial stout as a winter drink.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.