Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 11,059 | Reviews: 3,574
3.56/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Jet black, with a 2 finger light brown head, which dissipated quickly.

Smell - nothing stands out, just a bit of alcohol, though not as overwhelming as I'd expected

Taste - starts off with a bitter bite, in the way of a strong coffee, with noticeable (but not overwhelming) alcohol present. This fades into a roasted flavor, and leaves a bitterness on the back of the tongue for a bit.

Feel - It is smooth,not very carbinated, texture is more water than cream, but not very watery.

Overall: This is an OK stout. I don't know how it compares to other RIS's, since this is only the second one that I've tasted. I drink alot of regular stouts, however, and love em. I bought Old Rasputin because of the hype; I thought this was going to be either an "I really LOVE it" or "Omg, I HATE it!" beer, based on the reviews. However, I just feel in the middle. It's not bad, I'll enjoy drinking the bottles I have, and I might buy it again, but I won't be in a rush to do so. It's simply OK.

I was expecting a lot more complexity, but really, I think it's kind of bland. I've tasted stouts with a lot more flavor than this, and I've also had stouts that have a much harder alcohol bit than this. To the reviewers going on about the "kick in the mouth" alcohol experience....I really don't experience that, personally. This is a typical stout. Maybe some people are just used to drinking light beers?

4.19/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yum. Lunch in a glass. This is creamy, hearty, and infinitely enjoyable. The roasted malts dominate the flavor, but everything that is happening here comes together in a wonderful way.

2.95/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Apparently I'm the only person on the entire first page that's rating this below a 4.0. I certainly buy this on occasion but I don't see the "world-class" aspect of it. A bit TOO dry and strong for me.

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Fabulous product. If you're up for analogy...Old Rasputin : Guinness :: Vietnamese iced coffee : chocolate milk. It's like a gift from heaven. The description "jet-black" is apt both in its positive full-bodied/rich aspects and the mild negative of being a tad oily/boozy. You can buy this at World Market for a very reasonable price considering the premium quality.

4.24/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice bitter chocolate, coffee, and yummmmmm. Super easy to drink despite the 9% alc. I'll get again. :)

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Best nitro stout available. How do I find it?

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yesterday i drank Founders Imperial, so this review is influenced by the memory of that excellent stout. (A head to head tasting would be nice, but Holy moly, a 10.5 and a 9.0, maybe i got to clean up the house and invite about 20 people over for a proper stout tasting with about 5 bottles of imperials and some sessions for after...)

Any way, back to the review. This is solid black as a stout should be, with a two finger brown head. The aroma is a good balance of both dark malt and hop scents. My personal prejudice is that a stout is about the dark malt, to me, Old Rasputin's aroma is properly on the malty side.

The taste is well balanced. Compared to the Founder's imperial, some hops bitterness shows through, but the high alcohol is not evident in the taste; at only 9% instead of 10.5%, it is a little easier to hide.

This is certainly one of the great American stouts by reputation, and it lives up to the reputation in my tasting. I have a few more American stouts on my agenda, and then a Guinness Extra for reference.

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%

I bought a 4pk planning on drinking one now and cellaring the other three for a year or two. Its really delicious fresh though, so should I even bother cellaring the other three? I don't think I can go wrong either way. It lived up to its 96 rating.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours black. Smells like roasted toasted malt. Bitter up front. A little bit of chocolate. Super malty. It isn't overpowering in any department. Gets better as it warms up a bit. Good solid balanced beer.

3.94/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a black color into a pint glass from a bottle. No date found
Leaves a nice foamy thick head that dissipates slow leaving some nice lacing. You can taste the malts and earthy tones. A little bitter but at 9% it's not bad. Not any vanilla notes but roasted malt and some bitter chocolate
A nice overall Russian Imperial

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pitch black with a nice tan foamy head

In the smell you get roastyness, coffee, and a bit of coco sweetness.

The taste you get dark roasted coffee, roasted malts, dark chocolate, earthy hops, mild bitterness with a hint of sweetness. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with mild carbonation with a dry finish leading you to want to keep sipping which makes this drinkable without the lack of being full bodied.

Overall I think this is a great Russian imperial stout. I highly enjoy this and will be picking this up again.

4.31/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beer review # 800

Appearance: It has a nice jet black color to it. It has a nice creamy tan head that dies down slowly and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee, espresso, molasses, light floral/earthy hops and very faint vanilla.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has roasted malts, coffee/espresso, dark chocolate, molasses, earthy hops, light vanilla and very faint dark fruit.

Mouthfeel: It has a low carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied by great flavors and aromas.

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%

One of my favorite russian imperial stouts.

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%

This beer looks amazing. Held up to a light, it's dark as can be. The thick head, with its copper color, contrasts beautifully. Caramel and chocolate aromas and some others I can't quite pin. Plenty to think about with each sip. Mouth feel is nice and creamy, which complements the chocolate flavors. It's like a lightly carbonated mudslide. I give a 4 instead of 5 on taste because I feel it's a tad too bitter. I like bitter but with the chocolate creaminess my tongue goes looking for sweetness, which makes the bitterness come as a shock. Overall, though, I find this a really great beer that keeps my senses engaged from start to finish.

4.43/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black beer with a two finger high head (brownbeige). Temperature of the beer, about 22C (72F)

Nose: Pine, roasted malt, vanilla, coffee, milk chocolate and alcohol.
Taste: WoW! A full body taste with a lot of texture. Licorice, coffee, dark chocolate, toffee, sweet brown sugar and dark bread.
Body: Full body with a sweetness at start and great balanced of the bitterness that rounds up the taste. Just a little carbonation - Perfect!

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I don't pretend to be a connoisseur, but I've had many ales, lagers, pilseners, stouts, porters etc. over the years and OR gets my vote for "best overall" generally available.

3.74/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm a noob to stouts, but learning fast, just don't love this one as much as so many do. Sudsy brass head that contrasts nicely to the black body. It looks fantastic. I find it a bit thin in the mouth, mostly charred and hoppy. Plenty of black coffee but I don't find the sweetness and malt. A very good beer, not world class to me, but I'll definitely give it another shot as I've loved North Coast thus far.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into a pint glass. Dark brown with tan head dissolving to a lace. Slightly sweet aroma backed by pronounced coffee and molasses. Tastes pretty much like it smells. It starts with a light sweetness on the tip of the tongue, followed by a pronounced coffee and molasses flavor. Slight hint of dark chocolate. Carbonation gives it a balanced feel.

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Craft Beer Market in Calgary.
Pitch black color, light brown head. Left thick rings of lacing.
Smells of bittersweet chocolate, some coffee, roasted and a bit smokey.
Taste has lots of coffee, more dark and bitter chocolate, cocoa. Espresso coffee hangs around at the end.
Thick and creamy, full mouth feel, low carbonation.
Very good, lots of coffee. Worthy of its world-class rating.

Note to Self: Ranked #21 best Russian Imperial Stout when I had it

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Russian Imperial Stouts are my favorite style and this one was just meh to me.

Cery heavy. Love the bitterness. Good thing i had this brew for this ohio winter. Made me feel like rasputin himself.

3.87/5  rDev -10%

The perfect chocolate taste in my first stout

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours black with lots of beige head that lingers and leaves a little bit of lacing.

Nose has chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, vanilla.

Taste follows with a little bit of licorice or anise. A little bit of cocoa powder taste and feel. Creamy and rich.

Excellent beer.

4.61/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance -dark brown, nearly black body and khaki colored head

Smell - espresso, molasses, caramel, dark chocolate

Taste - dark chocolate, espresso, molasses, caramel, vanilla

Mouthfeel - Full bodied, viscous, sweetness upfront from the caramel/chocolate, balanced by the coffee and bitterness in the back. Despite the hefty body, it is easy to drink

Overall - this is a benchmark beer for the style in my opinion. Price and availability considered, there isn't much reason to hunt all of the limited releases in this style when you could just grab this off of any shelf. A beer that frankly deserves more respect in the community.

Price Point - $10.99/4 pack 12 oz bottles

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Black with an off-white ring around the edge.

Smell: Roast malt, oak, faint cherries, date fruitiness.

Taste: Follows the nose. Starts with slightly sweet roasted malt. A little bitterness as it warms, but pretty mellow. Alcohol is surprisingly light, despite the 9% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Thick and smooth, low carbonation.

Overall: Solid in every way.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.