Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,540 | Hads: 11,419
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Being a fan of Imperial Stouts, I cannot believe I waited so long to try this one. Pouring it into my snifter, it looks almost motor oil black with a khaki head that settles into nice lacing on top.
The smell is one of dark roast malts. Bitter coffee grinds to say the least. That dark roast carries over to the taste. Not exactly sure how to describe it, but I like it.
The mouhtfeel is rich and coats the tongue and taste buds with that roasty goodness.
Overall, an excellent example of what an Russian Imperial Stout could/should be.
I will be picking this one up again.

4.94/5  rDev +15.7%

The head has an incredible creamyness akin to the feel of a rootbeer float. Coffee and chocolate flavors, with a smoothness and satisfying aftertaste. One of my favorites.

so close to perfect. It's dark and complex, bitter, good mouth feel. Some day I would like to make a beer very similar to this one. I don't expect anyone to improve upon it. Oddly enough I don't like anything else I've had from this brewery.

3.32/5  rDev -22.2%

A bit to strong of a bite in the beginning very pleasant flavors in the middle coffee, hops, something else I cant put my finger on, the after taste is almost unpleasantly bitter.

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

First taste was poured from draft (nitro) a couple weeks ago, and while it was very good I just don't prefer the flat feeling of a nitro beer so I held off on rating until I could try the original version. I enjoy the feel of carbonation. I later found it again, regular draft, and it was absolutely delicious. I would go so far as to say it's of the best year-round Russian Imperial Stouts I've had to date. A must try if you have not already.

My favorite beer on the planet PERIOD...... Everything about this beer is top notch. I was fortunate enough to work for a distribution company that carried North Coast products. One taste of Rasputin and I was hooked. My only issue is that it only comes in 4 packs :)

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sampled December 2014 from tap in pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark color, dark tan head that lasted for a while.

Smell: Sweet with strong toasted coffee aromas, also some hints of the hops.

Taste: Full-bodied with great balance of malt and hops. Dominated by roasted coffee, but with some chocolate flavor as well. Taste starts sweet with malts, then comes the roasted coffee flavors, and then a little bitterness from the hops. Overall a great combination.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, but smooth.

Overall: Great stout. Best if you enjoy a combination strong malts & coffee, with a little bitterness from the hops. I will buy this again.

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Old Rasputin - Russian Imperial (9%) - North Coast Brewing (California)

App: Pours an oil black that is truly opaque, allowing no light to pass through. Rich brown head rises two fingers quickly, with good retention and lots of lacing.

Smell: Deep roasted aroma with notes of chocolate and black coffee, slightly earthy, accompanied by a subtle alcohol twinge that carries the aromas high into the nose.

Taste: Deeply roasted malt dryness flashes across the palate early, then runs parallel with a very subtle, dark chocolate like sweet/bitter complex. Alcohol is present, but balanced enough to never taste hot. Allowed to warm flavors meld together, uniting to become all the characteristics simultaneously. Alcohol lends a mild spicy taste that lifts the otherwise heavy malt character at the end making each subsequent sip another wallop of flavor. Yum.

Mouth: Heavy bodied with smooth carbonation that compliments style very well. Alcohol and bitterness from roasted malt remove any stickiness from the body.

Home tasting, 12oz bottle into Snifter. 12/30/14.

3.79/5  rDev -11.2%

Nice thick oatmeal head onto a dark opaque brown nearly black. Nice lacing. I have had this on nitro as well as from bottle, as it is here. At first I felt I picked up almost a marshmallow/caramel aroma on the nose but that dissipated; It's a nice chocolate/coffee with only a hint of smoke. Everything is relatively subtle for a big beer like this; not overly sweet or smokey or boozy. Pretty much spot on for what you want in a impy stout.

4.51/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured into a chilled pint glass. I read on BA somewhere that chilled glasses are no-no, but I like them, so what can I say?

Appearance: VERY dark brown, almost black, almost completely opaque. Pouring into the glass produced a good 2" of tan head that lasted a long while and left very persistent lacing.

Smell: One of the weaker points for me, perhaps because I didn't use the requisite glass type. Definitely the coffee/chocolate smell typical of the type, but not pronounced.

Taste: Coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt. A moderate hoppiness followed by a surprising citrus-like tanginess. Definitely good stuff.

Feel: Velvety smooth and lightly carbonated.

Overall: Lives up to the hype, in my estimation (such as that is). The relatively high ABV kinda sneaks up on you - you don't notice it at all for the first half a glass, but you definitely don't want to chug one before heading off to do anything requiring good coordination!

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I'm sure this beer isn't really that bad in other people's opinions and I understand why. It has a good taste, and smell just seems to have an overwhelming taste of hops and as someone who isn't a fan of hops that killed my rating.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was absolutely splendid and a great example of an imperial stout having a thick, lowly carbonated mouthfeel, and a taste and smell full of coffee and dark cocoa notes. Though I did detect some dark fruit in the nose, possibly fig or plums, cocoa and coffee dominated on the palate, which worked well with the mouthfeel, if I tasted this blindly, I could easily believe it to be an oatmeal stout, all in all an exceptional stout, highly recommended.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

Distracted by so many other imperial stouts (and because I live in a primarily warm climate) I haven't had Old Rasputin in several years until this cold and drizzly night and boy, has he not changed a bit. A big, dark chocolate bar of a beer that will knock you flat if you aren't paying attention. The head is still beautiful and thick and smells like the best cup of coffee you wish you could have after you finished.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I don't believe a "perfect score" is ever realistic (my perspective...my rubric)....but this one would come oh so close to a "5"...my taste buds opinion

Beautifully creamy/sustaining head and thick/thick body...the smell/taste of roastiness, of chocolate and coffee and beautiful malt/hop balance flowing thickly over the tongue

sweet elixir...

4.66/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Smell of deep chocolate, mocha and smooth oats all blended together. Khaki head that looks like it could float a quarter on top. The mouth feel is unbelievable for a beer with this much ABV and a RIS. Smooth as smooth can get. Taste is superb and very subtle alcohol. By far one of the best RIS I have had...so glad I finally tried it.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm only giving this 4.75's because its not THE best stout I've ever had, but it's pretty close. I wish I could give it 4.99 stars. It has a nice dark head, and a delicious complex flavor that never lets you down. We always have some in our fridge!

4.73/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Always my go to imperial stout..black as motor oil nice amount of carbonation and tastes like a chocolate espresso bomb...at 9 bucks a 4 pack its almost always in my fridge..

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

My favorite beer. Rich, dark imperial stout, bitter with hints of coffee & chocolate. So dark brown that you can't see through it if held up to a bright light. Great stuff.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Excellent beer. A bit of alcohol on the finish, but it is a imperial stout. Deep brown/black color. Thick beer. Taste of coffee, chocolate and malt.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Not sure how I managed to join Beeradvocate in 2010, and am only getting around to drinking this fantastic brew just now. Oh well, I enjoyed it on tap this evening, and it was quite delightful. I have elected to forgo my normal review narrative, because frankly, it's all been said. This is a beer truly deserving of it's world class rating. I'd be interested in aging this one, or giving the barrel aged version a go. Glad to recommend this brew. Cheers!

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Normal look for a stout. Strong roasted sweet smell. Great toasty malt taste with a dark chocolate taste. Medium heavy body with the same amount of carbonation and creamy. Great russian imperial stout

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a solid, thick jet-black with an inch of creamy cocoa-colored foam that just sits for days.

This has a power punch of an aroma on it, with a great big rummy-booze kick that blends with the dark chocolate, and a touch of a smooth French roast. It’s big and bold on the palate as well, with some of that dark chocolate and rounded roasty goodness. And so accessible.

Nose- ALCOHOL!!! right to the face, ignorant in your face smell. Some chocolate if you search far and deep into your nostrils. Some smokey hints but not overwhelming. Maybe a little raisin.

Apperance- Black as night with a thick creamy Mocha colored head.

Taste- Smokey Malts, Some hop presence, burnt sugar, DARK bitter chocolate, and an after taste of chewing tobacco a very rough hang around dry alch taste that is impossible to place in the same category as anything else.

Overall this beer is okay and i may drink another one day but the lingering tobacco taste does throw me off a bit

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Served on nitro in a pint glass at rendevious coffee house on the 5th of december.

A- completely obscures the light on an opaque black shade as beautiful as the heavens. Perfect half inch of leather hughed head.

S- a hearty dose of malty roasted hops followed by a sweet cream.

T- this Beauty had all of the good points of old rasputin with a tone down soy sauce flavor of the original which makes it more balanced. Cream is the prevalent flavor in addition to coffee malt toffee caramel chocolate and just a minor salty soy flavor preceeding the finish of big toasted hop goodness and malt.

O- a great improvement over the original when on nitro as it is wonderfully balanced and a great representation on the style.

4.44/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft (Nitro)
A - Poured a dense black into a pint glass with a solid 2" creamy tan head, very tiny micro bubbles only; the head was like thick cream; looked like icing and it remained throughout the drink, but reduced to about 1" When I was done, the head still covered the bottom of the glass. I actually took a tortilla chip and scooped it in the head as though it were dip.

S - Sweet and malty, but honestly hard to smell through the thick layer of head isulating it

T - This was semi-sweet molassas, malt; no coffee or burnt roast detected

F - Very smooth, thick, almost no carbonation

O - Absolutely loved it

My first Old Rasputin and didn't know what to expect. I had this at a little Mexican restaurant in Staunton, VA (a hidden gem in my opinion) with lunch, but will definitely try this beer again; highly recommended. This beer was extremely easy drinking given the 9% ABV

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.