Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 10,804 | Reviews: 3,514

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark brown. A dense, root beer colored head with darker brown marbling sits atop a thick, opaque liquid. Sorghum, chocolate, and date comprise the aroma. Viscous, creamy mouthfeel balanced by some carbonation and hop burn. Imperial comes to mind with the first pull. Dark, ripe fruit, perhaps a little cherry, notes of chocolate. Ample coffee bitterness at the finish. This is a very good beer.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.61/5  rDev +7.2%

Bought from Randall's in fairview heights, IL, 4 pack for 10$, surprisingly a great deal.
Among stouts, Russian imperial are my favorite, and among imperial stouts, old rasputin is my favorite. Oh man, where to begin with this brilliant beverage.
The jet black appearance lets you know as soon as you pop open that bottle, you're in for a wild ride. I usually pour this into my special stout glass. The look is just great. Once poured, a dark tan foam more delicious than any cappuccino you have ever seen, immediately covers the top of the drink. Once you start drinking a glass of this, a wonderful division of carbonation fills your mouth from drink one until done.
-THE SMELL is very faint for me, then again it may be because I'm getting really buzzed after one bottle. But the main hints of fresh coffee grounds and chocolate syrup definitely scream out.
-THE TASTE is incredible. The first time I had this I was amazed. VERY dark, and VERY strong taste. Kick in the nuts at first, but it's Beautiful. In detail, it tastes like I'm drinking a slightly hoppy iced mocha with extra dark expresso shots. Very delicious.
-THE FEEL is pretty heavy. This stout is thick and it will set nicely. An instant warmer.
Leaves a nice strong taste In your mouth.
I always look forward to getting some more Rasputin. Incredible stout.
If your are a stout drinker, this is hands down one of the best, if not the best.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

I chose a 12 ounce bottle from the singles section in my Trader Joe's. Upon opening, my dog began to bark and ran under the house as the heady aroma of coffee grounds, bacon drippings hops and Hershey’s chocolate syrup filled the air. Oh, I forgot to take the trash out again.

This stuff goes down smooth, like molasses on corn bread, or white on rice. The +8% alcohol content makes it easy to brag to my wife, “I’m just having one, dear, I’ll do the dishes after Sports Center is over.” And the check is in the mail.

And such clever package design. Is that the Giant's closer Brian Wilson on the label or Karl Marx?

This is sipping beer and I drink slow so the last two inches in the bottom get pretty warm. I use those last dregs to dissolve the brake dust off my car wheels, it is powerful stuff.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.