Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros

AaronBurr, Dec 24, 2011

beerguy36, Dec 24, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

4 pack, around $8. no freshness date. poured into a snifter

a- pours jet black. no light getting through. beige/cream-colored thick half inch of head. thick lacing

s- raisins, milk chocolate, slight hints of coffee

t- roasted malts and licorice, lots of espresso, some boozyness. pretty hoppy for a stout.

m- velvety...so velvety. medium-ish body. a bit of an alcohol burn. bitter aftertaste

o- pretty awesome RIS. Definitely lives up to its reputation.

dejrrma, Dec 24, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Sometimes on Beer Advocate, I think we all see a score that a beer has obtained and it affects the score that you give it when rating said beer. What I mean by this is if a beer has a good score, we are more likely to score it higher or vice versa for a bad beer. Old Rasputin was one that I made sure I bucked this trend because I did not enjoy this as much as other Imperial Stouts I have had.

I drank this beer 3-4 years ago and didn't remember much about it so I had to try it again. Unfortunately, I hoped it would have been better.

It poured a very dark black and a had a nice, big tan colored foam head. This is where things started going downhill for me. As hard as I tried to smell all of the things I like about a Russian Imperial (dark fruit, malts, booze), I only got the faintest hint of a malty stout. The taste was very hoppy up front. I tried to taste the dark fruits that usually come with a RIS and even though they were there it was a mostly watery finish. I have to say that if I tried to do a blind taste test on this beer, I am not even sure if I would know it was a RIS because it doesn't have enough of a distinctive taste.

I didn't hate this beer. I do like Imperial Stouts and they are especially good this time of year as I am reviewing this beer 2 days before Christmas. That said, there are many other Russian Imperial Stouts I would pick over this one.

mjpolzin, Dec 24, 2011

Antnyd82, Dec 24, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Very black with a foamy, three finger head. Nice amount of lacing.

Smell- Chocolate with hints of roasted malt, wood and coffee.

Taste- Mix of chocolate, coffee, and burnt wood. I got a bit of alcohol taste in the first swallow but it completely disappeared after the second.

Mouthfeel- Creamy and smooth. Full bodied and perfectly carbonated.

Overall- I am very pleased with this one. I bought it on the recommendation of the store clerk and I am glad I did. Complex and robust but not overpowering. I am going to recommend this to all my stout drinking friends.

scratch69, Dec 24, 2011

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011

ShemRahBoo, Dec 23, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours think like motor oil. So black it's like staring into a black hole. A nice three finger milk chocolate colored head. Some lacing, but honestly it's as if the beer would rather cling to ITSELF than the glass.

S - Nice weighty aroma of burnt grains, charcoal, molasses, wood. Tantalizing.

T - A complex blend of dark cocoa nubs, brown sugar, burnt toast, charcoal, raisins, and espresso, with a refreshing bit of bitterning hops coming out right at the end. Yes, you can actually taste the hops in this stout. What a concept! Alcohol carries all the way through, becoming more present as it warms, and the aftertaste of bitter hops and chocolate goes on for what seems like days. Stunning.

M- Velvety and chewy. Low carbination suits the taste elements and alcohol content perfectly. Finishes slightly dry.

O - This is one amazing stout, and one of the more complex I have tasted. The extra hopping really adds something that many stouts are missing in my opinion. If you truly enjoy big, slightly boozy blasts of dark/burnt/bitter flavors, this one is for you! Highly recommended.

TempeBeerMan, Dec 23, 2011

Harvey98, Dec 21, 2011

twotone75, Dec 21, 2011

fizzyted, Dec 21, 2011

MaddogOrlando, Dec 20, 2011
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.