Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

A: This is a very nice looking beer. I pour the beer out of a 12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. The beer is a very blackish brown with a three finger head that is dark tan. The beer fades rather quickly and leaves a lot of lace on the glass.

S: The smell of this beer is very pleasant. To me there isn't as much booze as I was expecting. It is strong in chocolate, coffee and even a little liquorice. It also has a foresty wood smell with roasted malt.

T: Wow! There are almost no words for how amazing this beer is. The first few seconds you get a strong amount of roasted malt and then as the beer lingers you start to get several different flavors, like chocolate and coffee. Its just amazing.

M: This is a very nice feeling beer. It burns the tongue a tiny bit on the tongue and the back of the throat, but for as high of alcohol, it is very nice. It isnt the smoothest or best feeling RIS, but it doesn't take away from the beer at all.

O: I have had this several times and it just seems to get better and better the more I have it. The taste is top notch and few compare. One of the best quality to price beers you can possibly get on the market.

gtermi, Dec 27, 2011

absolutchi, Dec 27, 2011

havok1024, Dec 27, 2011

jacobbocce72, Dec 27, 2011

GolamKovach, Dec 27, 2011

eye2, Dec 27, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into snifter glass. Black in color and opaque, with a dense mocha colored head, almost gone in a few minutes leaving small spots of scattered lacing. Smell is black chocolate up front, with faint booze and cream. Taste starts with a bitter and burnt explosion, finished by subtle sweet chocolate and alcohol lingering. Entirely drinkable and creamy.

J23hc, Dec 27, 2011

AaronBurr, Dec 24, 2011

beerguy36, Dec 24, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

4 pack, around $8. no freshness date. poured into a snifter

a- pours jet black. no light getting through. beige/cream-colored thick half inch of head. thick lacing

s- raisins, milk chocolate, slight hints of coffee

t- roasted malts and licorice, lots of espresso, some boozyness. pretty hoppy for a stout.

m- velvety...so velvety. medium-ish body. a bit of an alcohol burn. bitter aftertaste

o- pretty awesome RIS. Definitely lives up to its reputation.

dejrrma, Dec 24, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Sometimes on Beer Advocate, I think we all see a score that a beer has obtained and it affects the score that you give it when rating said beer. What I mean by this is if a beer has a good score, we are more likely to score it higher or vice versa for a bad beer. Old Rasputin was one that I made sure I bucked this trend because I did not enjoy this as much as other Imperial Stouts I have had.

I drank this beer 3-4 years ago and didn't remember much about it so I had to try it again. Unfortunately, I hoped it would have been better.

It poured a very dark black and a had a nice, big tan colored foam head. This is where things started going downhill for me. As hard as I tried to smell all of the things I like about a Russian Imperial (dark fruit, malts, booze), I only got the faintest hint of a malty stout. The taste was very hoppy up front. I tried to taste the dark fruits that usually come with a RIS and even though they were there it was a mostly watery finish. I have to say that if I tried to do a blind taste test on this beer, I am not even sure if I would know it was a RIS because it doesn't have enough of a distinctive taste.

I didn't hate this beer. I do like Imperial Stouts and they are especially good this time of year as I am reviewing this beer 2 days before Christmas. That said, there are many other Russian Imperial Stouts I would pick over this one.

mjpolzin, Dec 24, 2011

Antnyd82, Dec 24, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Very black with a foamy, three finger head. Nice amount of lacing.

Smell- Chocolate with hints of roasted malt, wood and coffee.

Taste- Mix of chocolate, coffee, and burnt wood. I got a bit of alcohol taste in the first swallow but it completely disappeared after the second.

Mouthfeel- Creamy and smooth. Full bodied and perfectly carbonated.

Overall- I am very pleased with this one. I bought it on the recommendation of the store clerk and I am glad I did. Complex and robust but not overpowering. I am going to recommend this to all my stout drinking friends.

scratch69, Dec 24, 2011
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.