Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,511 | Hads: 11,230
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers on the planet. I recently had the bourbon barrel aged versions, so good. I sipped and savored. Thick and viscous, great mouth feel, good malt hop balance, chocolate notes, and coffee hints. So good. (220 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle. Started at 56d. Looked good, but smell and taste were strong alcohol. Not distinguishing chocolate or coffee to me. Alcohol tended to dominate. Mouthfeel is on thinner side, maybe medium. Creaminess and more thickness would have helped perhaps. My friend loves this beer and picks up chocolate from it. I did not and was disappointed based on ratings it has received. I would much prefer the flavorful and much more balanced Courage or Samuel Smith Imperial Stouts. (481 characters)

Pours very black - black enough to stop the winter sun - with a creamy, two-finger tan colored head. Strong dark-roasted coffee aroma and taste, finishing with notes of bitter cocoa and rye. No doubt their malt is kilned. Alcohol is well hidden by a caramelized, peppery, herbal bouquet. Subtle hints of sour fruit are in there somewhere. A very nuanced stout. Feels just like it looks: full-bodied and viscous with a mere touch of astringency. I can't find anything wrong with this beer. It has a legitimate claim to best in class. (532 characters)

4.28/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

poured on draft into pint glass

appearance: dark brown, almost black with a nice 1 finger tan head. lots of lacing

aroma: roasty malts lots of chocolate, some coffee. just very roasty

taste: roasted malt right away with lots of chocolate and some french toast type flavors minus the cinnamon and syrup. little bit of alcohol but not too much. a little bit of hop bitterness too, but really just to balance the malt

mouth feel : thick and creamy

overall: just a very delicious stout (486 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

355ml bottle from Good Spirits Co, Glasgow:
This one was definitely a very nice imperial stout from North Coast but at the same time it wasn't one that managed to blow me away or indeed to live up to the heights of some of the other American brewed imperial stouts that I've tried over the last few months. The beer was highly drinkable despite the strength, although some alcohol was noticeable throughout; an enjoyable beer but just not my favourite of the style. (465 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

This is my favorite beer. It is strong in both taste and power, but it is an acquired taste. Once you acquire the taste, there is no going back.

Think of Guinness Stout, but stronger and more flavorful. (204 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

In Rasputin's earlier years, he was known for his "healing through prayer" and stuff. In reality, he used a version of Aspirin that was available at the time.

Is this relevant? Absolutely. Truth is, Old Rasputin was misleading.

I poured the black beverage into my glass and took a whiff. It was a definitely a stout. Smelled like roasted barley with a hint of coffee. It was a taste I was looking forward to.

I wasn't prepared for the taste though. This is one bitter stout. No joke. As soon as I took a sip, my taste buds were greeted with a roasted/alcoholic flavor, but was quickly and severely washed away by bitterness in the back of my tongue. The beer finished with the bitterness of hops and 95% cacao dark chocolate.

All in all, I would recommend this to anyone who is in for a surprise...and wants to get a buzz. (837 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow, alcohol is front and center. Surprised by how prominent this flavor is over oats, dark chocolate, and other notes. A very bitter stout with soapy/carbonated mouthfeel and strong, strong alcohol warmth. Unfortunately, not a stout I would recommend or have again anytime soon :/ (281 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Looked almost like squid ink in the bottle - very impressive indeed. It had a nice bitter coffee, burnt sugary quality in it's aroma. And the smell was very indicative of the taste. Nice, bitter, deep, and full. The mouthfeel was surprisingly bright, considering it's richness. Very well done. (293 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

LOVE this beer, the look was black as coal with an awesome tan foam head, taste was incredible, and it went down so easy. Love everything about it and will buy it many more times in the future. (194 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours jet black with huge billowing brown head that held well. Smells of dates, raisin bread, and chocolate. Up front it tastes of sweet chocolate and bread pudding. Has an obvious alcohol taste following with a touch of carbonation and a zing from the alcohol. Has a bitter aftertaste that leaves the palette begging for another drink. (340 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours like old motor oil with foamy head that dissipates quickly - splotchy lacing Lite molasses nose, Strong coffee taste with moderate bitterness - big flavors all working well, Great non-slimy mouth feel - ok carbonation, Overall a good example of this often overlooked style - not for everyone but I'll take another one (325 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Always on the shelf and is a solid get but there are better available.

A - Pours a reasonably thick black and exploded with a ton of light brown colored head with good lacing.

S - Rich roasty aroma with chocolate and coffee aromas secondary. Good blend of acrid roastiness and rich malt and chocolate malt.

T - Very similar to the smell; has the roastiness from the smell first but closely accompanied by the rich chocolate, malt, and coffee tones. It is full flavored with a stronger bitterness that helps balance the sweetness. Not as big as some but plenty of flavor. More on the bitter char side but still enough malt to make this a tasty beer.

M - High mouth-feel. High carbonation. This one just erupted with carbonation as I poured not expecting such vigor from the solution. I like the carbonation because even though it is a viscous beer the carbonation and bitterness do a good job of tricking your mind into thinking that it is lighter. This beer finishes well for being over carbed and less sweet.

Overall, this is a very good imperial stout. This is an above average RIS just because I like the roast forward nature of it but I still prefer Ten Fidy with its sheer power. I would definitely recommend this beer but only after you've tried Ten-Fidy.

Glass- Snifter (1,283 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look - oily jet black with nice off-white head that leads to great lacing.
Smell - currants, raisins, cocoa. pretty impressive.
Taste - raisins, coffee, tobacco, a little hoppy, cocoa. nice hoppy bitterness that lasts through the finish.
Feel - very smooth, appropriately carbonated.
Overall - very impressed with this one. i found it nicely complex. (350 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Jet black, with a 2 finger light brown head, which dissipated quickly.

Smell - nothing stands out, just a bit of alcohol, though not as overwhelming as I'd expected

Taste - starts off with a bitter bite, in the way of a strong coffee, with noticeable (but not overwhelming) alcohol present. This fades into a roasted flavor, and leaves a bitterness on the back of the tongue for a bit.

Feel - It is smooth,not very carbinated, texture is more water than cream, but not very watery.

Overall: This is an OK stout. I don't know how it compares to other RIS's, since this is only the second one that I've tasted. I drink alot of regular stouts, however, and love em. I bought Old Rasputin because of the hype; I thought this was going to be either an "I really LOVE it" or "Omg, I HATE it!" beer, based on the reviews. However, I just feel in the middle. It's not bad, I'll enjoy drinking the bottles I have, and I might buy it again, but I won't be in a rush to do so. It's simply OK.

I was expecting a lot more complexity, but really, I think it's kind of bland. I've tasted stouts with a lot more flavor than this, and I've also had stouts that have a much harder alcohol bit than this. To the reviewers going on about the "kick in the mouth" alcohol experience....I really don't experience that, personally. This is a typical stout. Maybe some people are just used to drinking light beers? (1,419 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yum. Lunch in a glass. This is creamy, hearty, and infinitely enjoyable. The roasted malts dominate the flavor, but everything that is happening here comes together in a wonderful way. (184 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Apparently I'm the only person on the entire first page that's rating this below a 4.0. I certainly buy this on occasion but I don't see the "world-class" aspect of it. A bit TOO dry and strong for me. (201 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Fabulous product. If you're up for analogy...Old Rasputin : Guinness :: Vietnamese iced coffee : chocolate milk. It's like a gift from heaven. The description "jet-black" is apt both in its positive full-bodied/rich aspects and the mild negative of being a tad oily/boozy. You can buy this at World Market for a very reasonable price considering the premium quality. (366 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yesterday i drank Founders Imperial, so this review is influenced by the memory of that excellent stout. (A head to head tasting would be nice, but Holy moly, a 10.5 and a 9.0, maybe i got to clean up the house and invite about 20 people over for a proper stout tasting with about 5 bottles of imperials and some sessions for after...)

Any way, back to the review. This is solid black as a stout should be, with a two finger brown head. The aroma is a good balance of both dark malt and hop scents. My personal prejudice is that a stout is about the dark malt, to me, Old Rasputin's aroma is properly on the malty side.

The taste is well balanced. Compared to the Founder's imperial, some hops bitterness shows through, but the high alcohol is not evident in the taste; at only 9% instead of 10.5%, it is a little easier to hide.

This is certainly one of the great American stouts by reputation, and it lives up to the reputation in my tasting. I have a few more American stouts on my agenda, and then a Guinness Extra for reference. (1,038 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +3.7%

I bought a 4pk planning on drinking one now and cellaring the other three for a year or two. Its really delicious fresh though, so should I even bother cellaring the other three? I don't think I can go wrong either way. It lived up to its 96 rating. (249 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours black. Smells like roasted toasted malt. Bitter up front. A little bit of chocolate. Super malty. It isn't overpowering in any department. Gets better as it warms up a bit. Good solid balanced beer. (204 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a black color into a pint glass from a bottle. No date found
Leaves a nice foamy thick head that dissipates slow leaving some nice lacing. You can taste the malts and earthy tones. A little bitter but at 9% it's not bad. Not any vanilla notes but roasted malt and some bitter chocolate
A nice overall Russian Imperial (326 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pitch black with a nice tan foamy head

In the smell you get roastyness, coffee, and a bit of coco sweetness.

The taste you get dark roasted coffee, roasted malts, dark chocolate, earthy hops, mild bitterness with a hint of sweetness. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with mild carbonation with a dry finish leading you to want to keep sipping which makes this drinkable without the lack of being full bodied.

Overall I think this is a great Russian imperial stout. I highly enjoy this and will be picking this up again. (541 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beer review # 800

Appearance: It has a nice jet black color to it. It has a nice creamy tan head that dies down slowly and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee, espresso, molasses, light floral/earthy hops and very faint vanilla.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has roasted malts, coffee/espresso, dark chocolate, molasses, earthy hops, light vanilla and very faint dark fruit.

Mouthfeel: It has a low carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied by great flavors and aromas.

Serving type: bottle (639 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer looks amazing. Held up to a light, it's dark as can be. The thick head, with its copper color, contrasts beautifully. Caramel and chocolate aromas and some others I can't quite pin. Plenty to think about with each sip. Mouth feel is nice and creamy, which complements the chocolate flavors. It's like a lightly carbonated mudslide. I give a 4 instead of 5 on taste because I feel it's a tad too bitter. I like bitter but with the chocolate creaminess my tongue goes looking for sweetness, which makes the bitterness come as a shock. Overall, though, I find this a really great beer that keeps my senses engaged from start to finish. (642 characters)

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.