Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Black, Black and more Black. 1/2" Head that last a short time.

S:Malty and Roasty with a good hop presense.

T:Malty and Toasted. Hoppy yet smooth. Strong Dark Chocolate taste.

M: Heavy and Smooth.

O: Good beer for a cold night. I would recommend.

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark black with mocha colored head. The head is quite frothy and sudsy and seems like a soapy lather that coats the glass quite nice. Smells of pleasant chocolate and roasty notes. Some toffee, maybe some burnt caramel aromas. A bit like black licorice. Tastes dense and thick. Lots of roasty and burnt flavors, almost charred character, are present. Feels heavy and somewhat acrid. Alcohol warmth is present in each sip. Okay tasting RIS yet a bit too much coffee burn and hot alcohol. Don't get much hop
character as they're overpowered by the roasty notes. I think this one smells and looks much better than it tastes and feels. Personally, I think there's better RIS on the market. Glad to have tried it though. A fine beer to try and sample.

2.48/5  rDev -42.3%

Thought I would give this classic RIS my own review...

A - Pours as black as night with huge three finger mocha colored head.

S - Molasses, brown sugar, chocolate, cocoa, slight piney hops.

T - Starts out with sharp alcohol followed by bitter hops. Wow, this taste really throws me. I'm picking up very little chocolate or coffee. Malt seems to have abandoned the seen. Very hot, like drinking pure alcohol with no flavor.

M - Medium to thick. Oily and resinous.

O - This beer started off so well with the appearance and smell then just went way south with the taste. Not balanced at all. This may be my first drain pour and I can't believe it's on such a highly rated beer as this. I'm thinking I must have picked up a bad bottle or something. This beer is a hot, alcoholic mess. So disappointed. Glad I only picked up a single!

3.18/5  rDev -26%

Appearance- Dark black with tan head.
Smell- Dark roasted malts, coffee
Taste- Bitter, black licorice, coffee,booze.
Feel- Too much carbonation in my opinion

This is a one and done beer.. This is my first Imperial Stout and I didn't really like it that much

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Darkest brown with a 2 finger fluffy tan head. Really gorgeous beer. Great lacing!

S: Nice roasted chocolate and malts. Lots of hops too. Way more than I thought I'd get. The aroma really pulls me in and made me want to take my first sip.

T: Really rich roasted malts and chocolate. Lots of chocolate. But hops play a large role too. They come in first and get overpowered by the chocolate and a hint of coffee... then the bitterness lingers on the finish.

M: Lots of carbonation. Medium body and very creamy.

O: Wow, I've actually gotten by living in California for 3 years and I've never tried this. It was way better than I thought it would be. I really enjoyed the hop bitterness they through in paired with the decadent brownie flavors.

3.82/5  rDev -11.2%

well, it's a stout.

smells like roasted cocoa beans, head like rocky sea foam, feels like velvet across my tongue and tastes like an unsweetened, dark chocolate brownie with powdered sugar on top. I will stock more of these in my cellar when I get my allowance.

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

One of my all-time favorites. Poured into a pint glass, I had no trouble making a ridiculous perfectly foamy tan head that sat upon the black sea of liquid. Lacing is great and you have a sudsy film floating around the whole time your drinking, which might not be as long as you might expect with a strong brew like this. It has a very strong, roasted character. It smells almost woodsy or yeasty. There is coffee in there somewhere, perhaps even espresso? It has a decent hop bite too. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming for me. Definitely a sipper, it's just overwhelming with flavor and so damn heavy. It really stays on the tongue too. By far my favorite I've had by this brewery. I am going to try my hand at brewing a clone of this later this week. Looking at the grain bill, I can see why it is such an intense beer.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Taste of Tops in Tempe, AZ.

A - Black as black can be. Thick, fluffy, latte-like head. Sits there for a long time as tall as it started. Well, until I took a sip a few minutes after the pour. Incredible.

S - Coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt smack your brain. I'm inclined to describe the nose as creamy.

T - Thick, creamy roasted malt. Chocolate. Coffee. Slight alcohol. Amazing.

M - Smooth, creamy. Like a milkshake. Your mouth becomes filled with a residual roasty taste.

While Old Rasputin is great out of the bottle and the regular tap, nitro-tap puts it on another level.

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Pours a deep black with an out of control foamy latte head.

A - Blast of hops - not sure what kind, but a softer C-hop variety, I guess. Then there's some roasted malts warning me of what's to come.

T - When it's cool I pick up the hops, just like I wanted to. Good, they're zesty. I hear American varietals were used, I don't mind that.
When the beer is warm enough to be enjoyed: sweet, smooth malt. Kinda tastes English. It's very flavorful, but not overly sweet or roasty. The finish has some bite to it.... acrid towards the end of the beer. Other than that, it's not overly interesting. I don't think it's too young, I just think this a tame beer. Some heat at the end makes the beer fun.

M - It's smooth and full-bodied. The beer doesn't weigh you down, though. Plus the finish is dry. Definitely Chico.

O - This beer drinks tooo easy. On the one hand, it's nice having a 9% behemoth just glide away. On the other hand, I wish there were more of interest in this beer. Maybe I'm spoiled, but for as taut as this beer is, I wish there were something more to it. I think the yeast is too boring, the crystal malt could impart a little more pit-fruit flavor, and the roasted character could be a slightly more aggressive.

Sure, for anyone like me on a seasonal Doppelbock binge right now, this will compare to a bull out of the pen. But as far as RIS's go, its tame than usual.

Fine beer. It leaves a hoppy-acrid linger at the back of my palate that not other beer will match for a long time to come.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Pours pitch black with a three finger cream colored head. Dissipates to a nice foam and lacing along the sides.

S - Mocha and a caramel from the roasted malts. Piney hops fades in and out.

T - A slightly sweet chocolate at first. A mild caramel followed by a bitter hop finish.

M - Full body with light carbonation. Slightly creamy, good for the style.

O - This is a good overall beer. Nice flavors and silky body. Excellent depth to the aroma. A little less of the piney, bitter hops would improve it in my eyes, but other than that it is a great beer.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Pour-Basically black with a medium brown head, thick, luscious and creamy head, completely opaque, thick lacing, is this crude oil? Head doesn’t hold that well but the lacing is REALLY thick

Nose-Chocolate, coffee, dark caramel malts, everything that is dark is in this beer

Palate-A little bit of sweet up front, a ton of sour and a moderate amount of bitter. Semi-sweet, almost scorched chocolate, actually only light coffee, but dark roast, incredibly dark caramel malts and grains. There is also a hint of fruity flavor

Body-Thick, creamy, heavy and syrupy, incredibly smooth and rich, luscious texture. Somehow a decent amount of effervescence. This is an incredible beer, I love this stuff and would get it again in a heartbeat.

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this beer on nitro at Davis Beer Shoppe in Davis, CA.

A: Amazing, witth a light brown head that initially takes up the entire glass. After two minutes the head disappated to about three fingers. If you get this on nitro watch as the head melts into one of the best beers you've ever had.

S: The smell is slightly less then impressive. There is malt, hops, and alcohol, but is is not that strong.

T: Awesome. The dominate flavor is malt but it is perfectly balanced with hops, citrus, and caramel. After a while the chocolatly undertones come out and make this beer amazing.

M: This beer fills the mouth the way a beer should. It is viscous despite the high alcohol. The nitro is an awesome addition to this beer.

O: if you have not had had this beer on nitro then you have not had a stout. This is beer should be placed among the elite.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

@ Flying Saucer

I'm not usually one for Nitro beers, but I was feeling adventurous and decided to give an old classic a try. Pours black with a typically thick, dense, stable slab of a head on top that leaves much lacing on the glass. Nearly no aroma at first, but then a semi-sweet chocolate aroma emerges with an increased dark fruitiness as it warms. Tasty from the start...I think maybe a bigger stout like this is what I need from a nitro tap. Lots of chocolaty roast and a gentle creamy sweetness. Feels a little less than full bodied this way, but still obviously very smooth and floaty in the mouth. Whereas most nitro I come across is rather mild and bland, this is not...it works! It also reminds me that I need to revisit this widely available, great stout more often.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Tried this one tonight after a session in the pool (heated) and spa. I'd had it before but didn't remember much. To start with, it pours like motor oil with a small mocha head. Nice retention and lacing. Nose is very inviting; lightly bitter hop, roasty malt and a little booze. Taste is fairly complex; bitter (back end) hops and espresso, some dark bitter chocolate, moderate booze. Bitterness lingers a little more than I'd like, but it's hard to be perfect. Mouthfeel is velvety, with a medium-full body. A sipper for sure, especially at 9%. Overall this is very good. Would seek out again for sure.

Addendum: This tastes very similar to Deschutes Black Butte porter (which is also very good) with more booze. Similar hop profile. Booze booze and more booze, and some licorice. Not very complex. Where's the beef? Give me control of the brewery and I could produce one hell of an inviting stout. Why can't these guys do the same?

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

poured from a bottle to a SA Imperial Series Snifter glass. Bottle about a year old.

Pours a motor oil black, with a weak looking 1 finger head, lots of slime and sticky bubbles. Big hops on the nose, followed by bitter coffee bean, bitter dark chocolate, vanilla milk chocolate, toasted malts. Chocolatety mayhem in my mouth right now, coffee/espresso, nice alcohol warming bitter coffee bean finish . Full bodied, creamy, smooth. Overall this beer was great, this beer aged well and tasted less like a coffee milk shake (as i thought it did fresh) and more like a great RIS. Very complex, rich and inviting.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Total black with a 1.5 finger finger mocha head. Nice lacing as the beer clings to the sides of the glass after each sip.

S: Deep notes of dark chocolate and roasted malt. Light coffee scents can be detected when searched for, but they take a backseat here.

T: A nice combination of roasted malts upfront and dark chocolate. Both are deep flavors that work very well in tandem. Hints of espresso flavor emerge, but they largely follow the roasted malt flavor. Bitterness from the hops may also be present, but it's difficult to tell for sure because of the prevalence of the roasted malt flavor. As the beer warms, the espresso become a bit more noticeable on the finish.

M: Full bodied, with medium-to-heavy carbonation. It's a nice beer to drink.

O: Make no mistake, this is a RIS. Some stouts/porters can be a bit lighter or a bit sweeter...this is neither. A very good beer and, though I haven't explored RIS-es a lot as of yet, I definitely think it's a winner. This was the first from a four pack-I look forward to the rest!

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 12 0z. bottle into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass. I bought this at the Beer Store in Southampton PA. I will say it was worth the drive over from NJ, as they have one of the larger selections of craft beers that I've seen in the area.

Appearance: A typical jet black thicker pour, as expected with the style. I nice, thick 3/4" cola colored head impressed me resulting from only a moderately aggressive pour. Lacing was spotty, but decent as my glass emptied. The head eventually reduced to a thin light brown ring after a few minutes at room temperature.

Smell: Right off the bat, this reminded me a lot of the Storm King Imperial Stout, which is a hoppier Imperial Stout. I get dark bittersweet chocolate, followed by burnt roasted malts then a definitive hoppy and unsweetened espresso aroma. I also detect a slight booziness in the finish, which become more prominent as the beer warms.

Taste: Like the nose, bitter unsweetened dark chocolate, espresso coffee, dark fruits, and caramel. Light roasted, almost burnt, malts and a surprisingly bitter hoppy finish. I prefer my RIS just a tad sweeter to tame the hoppy bite. The alcohol is well hidden and doesn't expose itself until the beer gets closer to room temperature.

Mouthfeel: Definitely a full-bodied brew. Smooth, but with a dry bitter finish. Carbonation is moderate.

Overall: This is a sipper for sure with the higher ABV. I'm glad I tried it but my "go-to" RIS is still Brooklyn Black Chocolate. I would still say it's a "must try" for fans of the RIS style but I prefer my Imperial Stouts with a little less hop bite.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a 16 oz snifter. Pours a slick black, with a 3 inch sticky mocha head, tons of lacing. Smell coffee, chocolate, some pine, and a hint of alcohol. Taste is all that, more piney hops than the smell would lead on. Body isn't the biggest, but nice. Perfect amount of life, helps it's dribkability. Temperature is so important to allow this beers flavors to completely shine, close to 55 is best. Lives up to the hype, most reviews I have ever noticed for this style.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.