Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
3.71/5  rDev -13.7%

A: a thick looking black color almost a hint of purple. it has a tan one finger head that leaves a thick lacing

S: a vert sweet smell you get a choclate and hints of alchol

T: it starts with a bitter sweet taste and ends with a very dry sweet choclate taste.

M: a very thick body that sticks around for awhile with medium carbnation.

D: a very thick filling beer that i'm set with just one or two of these.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured a little forcefully into a pint glass.

A- It poured black with 3 fingers of chocolate milk coloured head. Its really dark. Light doesn't get through.

S- Really malty. Coffee is most apparent. Chocolate is there too. A little fruity undertone. Kind of like black cherry. Smells dark and sweet.

T- The first thing that hits my taste buds is coffee. Very malty and full tasting. The coffee taste subsides, leaving the chocolate and some vanilla. Then comes a little hop back, which is the only trace of hops I get while drinking this. Very faint, but it balances the taste very well.

M- Thick and full. A little carbonation, but not much. I could stand to have it a bit thicker, but I still love the mouth feel.

D- very drinkable. Currently my favourite russian imperial stout. Very solid drink. Big fan.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured into a snifter on 1/4/10

Pours dark brown, almost a dull crimson, settling near black. Two fingers of medium brown head that thins quite rapidly to a skim on top. Decent streaks of lace are left. Swirling revives a little foam. Lacing is ok but gets sporadic.

Moderately potent malt aromas that tend to be on the sweeter side of things. It kind of brings to mind chocolate milk & a creaminess reminiscent of hot chocolate. While the sweet aspect of the chocolate are most notable, there are subtle roasted undertones.

Tastes very similar to the nose; the only big difference being a slight hop twinge leading off. Roasted dark malts abound. Sweet throughout with creamy milk chocolate in the middle & on the finish. Hints of coffee bitterness in the back. Smooth all around.

Full bodied offering low carbonation that is smooth, allowing the flavors to take precedent. Faint lingering notes of roasted malts. Lacking is any appreciable alcohol heat.

Very good; not particularly complex but the whole seems greater than the sum of its parts, as it were. I imagine this ages well. Recommended.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Has a very dark, almost black color with a nice head of khaki, which lasts.
Smell is of dark chocolate and black cherries.
Taste is as promised by the smell. No alcohol taste and little bitterness.
Feels really good in the mouth, thick and creamy.
Very drinkable beer even with the 9.0 ABV. One of my favorite beers at any time.

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Well tonight I decided to try my first Old Rasputin. I just started getting back into stouts and I am almost sad I have started with this one since it was so good. Well, anyways, here it goes.

When I opened the bottle, it poured black into my glass with about a finger of dark, rich brown head. The sight was quite lovely.

When I first brought the glass to my nose there was a nice chocolatety, nutty aroma. I sat the glass back down for about 20 minutes for it to warm up some and then smelled it again. The second time there was a faint vanilla/mocha smell, with a hint of malts and coffee.

The taste matched the smell almost. It had a dark chocolate, mocha, malty feel to it.

This was overall an excellent beer from opening it to drinking it. I could definitely enjoy several of these. However, I am still sipping on the one that I am using to write this review.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Review from notes taken 6/23/10.

On tap at Als served in a nonic. Appears black in color with a thick creamy tan head that retains very well and sticks in thick patches about the glass. Nose is full of dark grains smelling of coffee and dark chocolate with a blend of hops and dark skinned fruity sweetness. The alcohol becomes a bit more noticeable as it warms. Taste includes a mixture of alcohol, roasty grain and slightly citrusy hop bitterness upfront that blends through a medium creamy smooth body with more flavors of dark grainy sweetness. The roasted grains suggest black coffee, dark chocolate and dark skinned fruits much like the aroma indicated. There is a pleasant lingering bitterness from the darkly roasted grain coupled with the flavor and warmth of alcohol. This is a brew I enjoy regularly from a bottle and on nitro it is even more drinkable and creamy in the feel.

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Appearance - Definitely a stout. One thing that never fails to impress me about Old Rasputin is the lingering head. It's still there when I finish drinking a 22 oz weizen glass, and I drink Old Rasputin slowly.

Smell - Many nuances that I'm at a loss to describe. You can tell, with certitude, that this beer is going to have some bite from the smell, but it's masking a complex flavor beneath.

Taste - This, too, could be described many ways. An amateur would say it's bitter, but beyond the bitterness is a bouquet of flavors that most people will appreciate.

Mouthfeel - Old Rasputin definitely has an aftertaste. The bitterness of the beer seems accentuated when you swallow, but I don't find it overwhelming. The mouthfeel makes you want another sip/gulp.

Drinkability - Definitely drinkable. Very good. Very strong, too.

Verdict - This is one of my favorite stouts. I tried this beer in December I believe, and a group of guys I know were drinking it so I thought I'd do the same. Well, the guys had a few more, and these Flying Saucer regulars staggered over to Barnes and Noble across the street where they sat in comfort and sobered up before driving home. This beer is strong. Drink with caution.

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into chalice after dinner. Ordered this with a cheese plate for dessert. The brew pours pitch black with a thin chocolate milk-colored head. The nose is subdued with caramel malt, cocoa, and faint hops.

The aromas carry straight through to the palate with strong roasty flavors like sweet coffee and dark chocolate flavors, there is a caramel and toffee sweetness up front also with resounding hop finish. Mouthfeel is heavy, full, silky, and lingering.

Poured into a Bells Oberon pint glass.

A: Pours pitch black with a nice tan head, about two fingers worth, that stays around for about 10 minutes before settling to a small cap. Decent lace sticks and doesn't let go. Nice start.

S: The quintessential RIS, coffee, chocolate, dark brown sugar, molasses, a little fig, and a nicely roasted malt. Nice aroma.

T: This tastes like a clone of Blackout from GLBC. Either that, or Blackout is a clone of this. Chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, a little bitterness from the black malt and hops. This is tough for me, as I love Blackout. I guess since Raspy seems to be year round, it should fill in nicely for Blackout.

M: Big, thick, creamy, almost chewy. Very nice.

D: Easier to drink the warmer it gets. Fantastic beer.

If I have to drink a Russian Imperial, and Blackout isn't on the shelves, this will be my go to. Well done.

3.99/5  rDev -7.2%

12 oz bottle, allowed to warm a bit from the fridge, poured into my Duvel tulip.

The beer pours absolute black, with an absolutely massive tan head that paints the glass with lacing. Stunning beer. The nose is a little weak, bitter coffee with just a hint of chocolate that only becomes apparent as the beer warms some more. As I sip my opinion of the beer improves, the dark coffee flavor is still most prevalent while dark chocolate makes a little more noise than in the nose and there's also a slight warming sensation from the alcohol. Great mouthfeel on this beer as the body is nice and big and chewy, while the carbonation is suitably low. Old Rasputin is a very good beer, phenomenal in some aspects, but where it really matters most it falls just a little bit short of world class.

Appearance: Pitch black in the glass. When poured there was one finger of tan head. Most of it dissolved in a short amount of time, but some lacing remained around the edges of my glass.

Smell: Dark and chocolate malts along with coffee are very prevalent. Not a lot else, but a great smell nonetheless.

Taste: Very much along the same lines as the smell. Tastes very strongly of cocoa and coffee.

Mouthfeel: Very full body, as I expected from an imperial stout. Surprisingly smooth going down despite the relatively high alcohol content.

Drinkability: I had 1 of these, and I definitely would have been open to having 1 or 2 more. Not a beer that I could or would drink all night long.

Overall: A great imperial stout. A beer that I will be buying again.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

What you read is what you get from this classic RIS. I could imagine this beer being served at a round table in the mid century. Nothing unusual out of the beer or pretentious. This just nails what an RIS originally was.

A - A dark black with a small lacing hits the glass. Not much lacing. This has a minimal head.

S - Immediately the smell of cocoa and coffee beans hit you.

T - This has a very smooth texture with strong flavoring of dark chocolate. I think I just drank a Hershey Dark Chocolate candy bar.

M - Smooth, Creamy and a great mix of carbonation. This beer is right on.

D - I prefer this on a cold winters night, but this beer satisfies my craving every time.

I love this simplistic approach to an old style beer. I guess that's what makes it so popular and the first RIS for most people to venture into.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz into Imperial Pint

A: Pitch black, light brown head.

S: Heavy roasted coffee beans and cocoa.

T: Intense molasses and bitter coffee beans, followed by a significant alcohol burn.

M: Heavy but not too viscous.

D: I could put away a 4-pack of these in a night...

This is easily the best stout-for-your-buck on the market.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours jet black with a thick n creamy mocha colored head. No light can be seen through this beer whatsoever. It's a beautiful sight in my tulip glass.

In the nose I get thick scents of chocolate malt immediately. That's the main thing that I can smell.

The taste is amazing. A thick texture of chocolate malty goodness. It finishes more bitter than sweet, but not quite dry. Some smokey components are there. The alcohol is very well hidden, buried under the layers of silky smooth malts.

Full bodied, light carbonation.. very viscous, thick, and chewy. Melts in the mouth.

While the Rasputin has a fairly high ABV of 9%, It's delicious enough to drink a lot of. So you gotta be careful not to guzzle too many of these down. This is a great imperial stout, definitely one of my favorites so far.

1.15/5  rDev -73.3%

Upon pouring this beer looked like cola, maybe a little darker. Smelled like licorse. Tasted like Licorse and Alcohal. I found this beer difficult to sip, sallow, and even gulp. Had no head, and no lacing whatsoever which leads me to believe I may have gotten a bad bottle, so perhaps I'll try again.

However, judging from what I know about Rasputin, this seems like the kind of thing he would drink by the barrelful atleast ten times a day. So I suppose mission accomplished, Comrades.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Completely black in the glass with a creamy tan head that dissappears. Overall good appearance.

S: You can definitely smell the alcohol in this beer. It's hidden with strong coffee and roasted malt aroma. Smells wonderful.

T: The initial taste is creamy in the front of the palate with hints of dark chocolate. The flavor then turns to mocha and finishes with a bitter coffee and herbal taste. The aftertaste is surprisingly smooth and long lasting. You can tell there is high alcohol, but it is lost in the sweet, stong coffee flavors.

M: Full-bodied, creamy and smooth, and medium carbonation.

D: Definitely enjoyable. Great for sipping for extended periods of time. Not good in the hot summer heat, great for winter.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Looks like a typical Russian Imperial Stout. Dark dark-brown with thin nutty-coloured head. Implacable and imposing; I look forward to drinking this beer.

S: So nice. Lightly-roasted, gently-sweet malts. There is a definitely fruity tone to the alcoholic sweetness. Some hints of chocolate and even less of coffee.

T: Deliciously tasty. A smooth, sweet beer, with surprising spicy notes appearing at the end of the taste (cinnamon and something akin to paprika spring to mind). The main taste is mildly bitter, a roasted flavour with a hint of hops. The aftertaste is slightly sticky with savoury chocolate notes opening up amidst the aforementioned spices.

M: Carbonation lightens the taste considerably, but cannot stem a creeping sticky sweetness in the aftertaste. Not unpleasant, but not a point in its favour either.

D: With the notable exception of Bell's Expedition Stout, Old Rasputin is the best Russian Imperial Stout I've ever consumed. While by no means a light fare, it is more accessible and consumable than other beers of the same style. Very drinkable and highly recommended.

EDIT: The following review is of a bottle aged in a friend's wine cellar for 14 months (and an additional month and a half sitting in my refrigerator.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a St Bernardus goblet. Reviewed 25 December 2011. I can't find a best by date, but the neck label has almost completely peeled itself off.

4.5A: An excellent cocoa-coloured head forms an impressive crown to a coal-black beer. Utterly dark and completely opaque, this is what I like an Imperial Stout to look like. Great lacing.

5S: Mmmm, yes. Huge and boozy. Less dry than I remember, but much more fruity and alcoholic. Very similar to Bell's Expedition Stout which, in my book, is a very good thing indeed. Richer and more rewarding than I initially thought, ten minutes later I still haven't taken a sip. I'm simply letting my nose revel in these sensations. Superlative smell. Blueberries?

4T: This is more what I expected from an aged Rasputin. Moderate chocolatey bitterness with virtually no hop presence and a sweetish fruit/alcohol maintaste which trails off slowly leaving very little aftertate. Disappointing after such a monumental smell, but still quite nice.

3.75M: Thick and almost sticky. Little carbonation. Nice enough.

4.25O: A very good beer, but I'm not sure the changes in flavour advocate ageing. Most of the spice and bitterness has absented itself in favour of slow, mellow sweetness. I probably prefer a fresh bottling, but I might age another one because it changed character significantly more than the Expedition Stout after cellaring.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Pours an inky black with a light reddish-brown head that disappears quickly.
S - A nice coffee, chocolate, and molasses hits the nose. Maybe some slight berry in there providing some sweetness.
T - Rich espresso and chocolate in the mouth is consistent with the nose. Really nice. Not overly bitter at all, just right.
M - Heavy with a bit of carbonation (or is that hops) providing a nice counterbalance to the richness of the chocolate/espresso.
D - I doubt I could drink this all night at 9%, but it's perfect for both the colder months and as a pairing with dessert (or by itself!).

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Pours dark brown, but is completely black once it's in the glass. A creamy tan head that is mostly diminishing, virtually no lacing, but seems to be typical in RIS. Overall good appearance.

S: You can definately smell the alcohol in this beer. It's hidden with strong coffee and roasted malt aroma and almost a sweetness.

T: The initial taste is creamy in the front of the palate with hints of dark chocolate. The flavor then turns to mocha and finishes with a bitter coffee and herbal taste. The aftertaste is surprisingly smooth and long lasting. Expected the beer to have more of a burn because of the smell, but is slightly there and is overwhelmed with the other flavors.

M: Full-bodied, creamy and smooth, and medium carbonation.

D: Definately enjoyed, but couldn't drink more then 1 at a time. Would love to drink this with ribs or a steak for sure! Not good in the hot summer heat.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I haven't reviewed this yet?! Poured a syrupy black into a Duvel tulip with an inch of dark tan head that receded fairly quickly. Very nice roasty aroma of chocolate and coffee.

Slightly high carbonation balances a creamy, full mouthfeel. Intense flavors of sweet molasses and black licorice followed by lingering coffee, tobacco, and dark chocolate on the dry, slightly bitter finish. ABV well-hidden, emerging slightly as the beer warms.

A wonderful stout that I've enjoyed many times.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent stout. It has it all. The appearance off the draft is decadent. The smell, taste, feel and drinkability embody an imperial stout. It also drinks very smooth for being a huge beer. It has a true stout flavor without added flavors of other coffee or chocolate stouts. This is the real deal.

12 oz bottle

A - Very very dark with tan/brown head the quickly leaves

S - Good aroma of Coffe, chocolate a bit of alcohol

T - Taste is very similar to the aroma, first taste slightly bitter, but smoothed up nicely thereafter.

M - Mouth feel was full bodied but with enough creamy texture to make it smooth.

D - Very well done and will be drunk again.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

I had this beer while visiting Providence, Rhode Island. I was very impressed. I had heard lots of great things about this beer and was excited to try it. It poured black with about a finger of head and smelled like dark chocolate and coffee. The taste is what made me love this beer. Dark chocolate and coffee, finishing with tobacco. The beer reminded me of smoking a good cigar. The beer was perfectly balanced.

Overall I give this beer the highest marks. If you are looking for a delicious stout this is a great option.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

2009 vintage, tasted on 8/2/10

I haven't had a fresh bottle in a while, so I'm not sure if this is typical of the beer or just shows what happens after a year. But the alcohol was very subdued and the beer really didn't seem particularly rich. Oh it smelled rich as hell, but it finished downright clean and tangy. Which was cool enough, I suppose, but more like I would expect from a Porter than a RIS.

Deep, dark, and nearly absent of color. Fine coffee-cream head. Smells of blood and grilled meats. Sweet Turkish coffee on the palate. Oddly un-rich, actually. Even tangy on the finish.

Food pairing: Mexican porchetta (slow-roasted pork shoulder, wrapped around aromatics)

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%

Thank you Scottfrie for extra!

A- Poured black with a small tan head that left rather quickly.

S- Good aroma of chocolate and coffee with roasted malts.

T- Nice smooth taste of malts. Chocolate up front with slight hints of citrus hops. Mocha finish towards the end. Very nice flavor.

M- Full body with little carbonation. Very smooth drink that hides the alcohol.

D- Very solid RIS. Good flavor but nothing overpowering. Could drink a few of these easily.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.