Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Thick sandy head, with dense bubbles float above an opaque mahoghany chalice of Old Rasputin. A great coffee roasted, toasted molasses smooth flavor and rich body, with a smoky aftertaste, define imperial stouts. Vanilla, oaky flavors give way to a spicy bitter finish as the beer warms. It becomes drier and maltier and tastier near the end. I love this beer, if you hadn't noticed.

mrbosworth, Jun 06, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Wow. This is a great beer.

Look like coffee with head, deep rich chocolate colored head. I felt like I was diving into a rich cappuccino, chunky thick head, which dissipated nearly completely, but is still hanging around a little.

Smells like coffee. Has hints of chocolate in the aroma and taste. Roasted flavor. Nice medium carbonation. Good bitter aftertaste that isnt too strong and doesn't stick around for too long after.

Something I really like about this beer, is that it isn't too syrupy, it has a certain dryness while still being thick and deep. I like that.

Overall very drinkable, I look forward to taking a trip up the coast and visiting this brewery later this summer.

MichaelGreene, Jun 04, 2008

Overall, an excellent stout. Strong dark malt, chocolate flavors with a great bitter finish. My bottle started with oddly high carbonation, but after a few minutes the carbonation settled. Great taste though. Full body with a nice bitter finish. Well balanced and strong.

RomanW70, Jun 01, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into a large tulip glass. There was no freshness date on the bottle. I grabbed this bottle from the Foodery in Philly.

A: Very, very black body (No light comes through at all) topped by a thick tan head. It laces decently at first, but then dies away. I was expecting more I guess. Maybe it is the glasses fault, but I thought the head would stick around for the whole beer.

S: There is a BIG smell to this glass of beer. I smelled hints of chocolate and coffee with a strong hop presence. That balance in the aroma between hop and roasted malt is a wonderful combination.

T: BIG smell is followed up by a BIG flavor. Chocolate and espresso notes are contrasted by a strong bitter hop flavor. There is a serious warming presence by the alcohol content. In the aftertaste is where you will find the subtle fruit esters.

M: Full-bodied, though not too much. There is a rich, chewy sensation brought on by the leftover sugars in this beer. Delicious.

D: This is a drinkable version of a Russian Imperial Stout. Most are too much, but his is just right with the mouthfeel and the flavor being not too rich, etc.

MusicaleMike, May 30, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Eye Candy-Vary delicious looking. Black as used motor oil. Very rich brown head rises after hard pour and leaves plenty of lacing all the way to the last drop.

Nose Candy-Somewhat atypical of a stout smell with a rather big presence (for a stout IMO) of hops. Coffee and chocolate malts present and a good toasted grain flavor there as well.

Tongue Candy-Good and solid at the beginning. The coffee flavor hits you off the bat and sits well. At the end of the taste, an earthy flavor of hops comes out and fights against the malts. I wish there was a better balance here between hop and malt flavoring. Body seems a little light and a touch over-carbonated for my likes. I would still recommend this beer and look forward to trying other North Coast Brews...

Hooray Beer!

Tbn2, May 30, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a brandy snifter.

Jet black, used motor oil color with an average sized cream colored head. Lacing is solid.

Smell is malty; very roasted chocolately smell. I think I will have to let the beer warm some more before I can pick anything else out.

Taste is almost immediately coffee, with chocolate following, finished by an almost (raisin?) rum like followthrough. Alcohol warms in the finish. Very clean tasting beer but with lots of flavor. Hop bitterness is present but not in the fore; malt is the leading character in this play.

Medium to high carbonation and jam packed with flavor give the feeling of drinking a meal. Very full-bodied beer. The 9%abv is definately noticeable.

I will be drinking this again. Now I can say that I understand the hype surrounding this beer!

beermebeerman, May 28, 2008

I was a bit shocked to find this Old Rasp Shout in the new beer and wine store locally; the new shop here in good ol' Blackfoot, Idaho mostly carries America's favorite lawn-mower brews and "fine wines, " but only carries a small percentage of truly envious brews to date. One benefit of this particular store is that it's in Blackfoot, Idaho, which is where I live now...Just kidding....kinda;) The benefit is that they charge a very fair price for the few great beers that they keep in stock. What more could you ask for, right?

This true Russian imperial stout is a great "evening beer," and I say that not because it's such a "warm beer," but because it's really light on the tongue yet memorable. This is a very nutty brew. This beer also carries a lot of coffee like robust flavor, but is lightened w/booze. I was taking the last sips of an Alaskan Ipa when I opened this bottle of Rasputin. Normally I'd pour it into a regular pint glass, dimpled mug, or a tulip, but after taking a whiff and a quick sip from the bottle, I decided to enjoy this one in a Chimay glass.

Nice and dark yet light in mouth feel. Chocolate + chocolate + more chocolate is super nice and roasty. Old Rasp Stout drinks like a cool cappichino. A bit heavy on the alcohol and light on the hopps, however a great....no....fantastic nutty Imperial Russian stout if you ask me;) I think that the only thing missing is a bit heavier mouth. When I say that it's "light," what I'm really trying to say is that it's not very thick, but warm and thinner than I'd like to see from this Russian Imperial Stout. Delicious! Who could ask more of a fine beer that's ready to go out of Blackfoot, Idaho? NOTHING:)

TroyS, May 24, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Huge head on pour that subsided into a 1/2 inch coffee tan head. Pours very dark, near black. Thick lacing.

S - Chocolate

T - Chocolate. Aftertaste is not to bitter.

M - Thick. Alcohol bite at the end. A little more carbonation then I like

D - Because of the ABV, definately a sipper.
Reason for update:

Did a blind tasting of 7 RISs.

Night Tripper, Czar, and Stone RIS tied for First. Siberian Night and Old Rasputin tied for 4th, and Ten FIDY and Expedition tied for 6th. Based on these results I've changed my numbers.

tedpeer, May 24, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

This is one powerful, beautifully crafted beer. It is not for the faint of heart, but it is everything a Russian Imperial Stout should be.

Pours an oily black with a thin beige head. The aroma is powerfully malty, with a sharp bite of cherrywood smoke.

The flavor is vast, with a massive attack of bitter, earthy smoke and a huge, round undertone of sweetness.

The mouthfeel is enormous, resiny and thick, clinging to the tongue long after the beer is down your throat. It finishes with smoke and a satisfying alcohol bite on the top of your moth.

This is an amazing beer that will stand up to food, or survive aging, like a fine port.

Seanibus, May 22, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

A- Black- nothing less than. A finger of tiny-bubbled foam covers the blackness. Some decent spiderweb lacing. A beautiful beer.

S- Somewhat weak aroma. Burnt malt, a hint of cherries, liqour- maybe even rum.

T- Much stronger. Roasted flavors of dark intense coffee. Brown sugar. Burned raisins. A touch of soy sauce. Good.

M- A decent amount of creaminess, good carbonation level.

D- I full flavored RIS. Though I wish the aroma was stronger, this one is a keeper.

zdk9, May 21, 2008

Poured out of the bottle a very very dark colour...wouldn't call is black...maybe deep chocolate, with a tan head that disappeared slowly. My nose predicted aromas of chocolate, coffee, caramel, and just a hint of hops. A superb blend from North Coast to make this Russian Imperial Stout one of the best.

thequeen711, May 20, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Enjoyed on nitro-tap at the Flying Saucer in Columbia, SC.

Arrived in a fine looking branded Old Rasp pint glass, sporting a gorgeous 2 finger tall toffee-tan head. The head is amazingly dense and milkeshake like. It was fun to draw pictures in with a straw. But I digress. The beer is pretty darn dark, not *quite* black, and the contrast between light and dark in the glass is a thing of joy. Did I mention the sticky lace that runs down the glass as the beer goes? This is a beaut.

Tastes of heavy one-note roasted grains and rich coffee. Molasses, burnt raisins and a little astringency tickles the palate. The bitter hops are there but seem toned down from what I recall. Malt sweetness is complimentary and nicely balanced for me. Bittersweet and cunning, as it warms a few new flavors trickle out -- chocolate, alcohol, and a dry, almost chalky note.

On nitro-tap, the mouthfeel is hideously creamy. Smooth and very lightly carbonated, which makes it all the more easy to drink. It's a little thinner than I remember, but no matter, the big roasty finish with a hint of sweetness lingers and keeps me coming back for more.

Oh yeah, the nose. Grainy, roasty and boozy, this is simple and respectable for the style. Sweet, simple, strong, safe. It doesn't go for the jugular immediately, but the sheer drinkability of this means it may betray you later.

Old Rasputin on nitro is wickedly different from the bottle, and like the vile priest himself, sneaks up on you and gets under your skin. I had two pints before I knew what was happening. Taste at your own risk!

kkipple, May 19, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Served at the Flying Saucer in Austin.
Poured a 4 finger cascading head into an old rasputin glass. (OT -- is that guy giving the loser sign or what???). Loved that glass. It took all my good upbringing not to nick it.
Appearance. Thick motor oil black with a tan head.
Smell: Not much - - a bit malty.
Taste: chocolate, roast malts. a little hop bitterness at the back of my palate.
Mouthfeel: creamy, smooth, thick, silky.
Drinkability. Not too boozy for an RIS.

Overall, this is a very nice RIS. The nitrotap made it quite interesting. Not as complex in the malt profile as some I have had. This is definitely a staple in my beer collection.

JonathanL7890, May 19, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Such a good imperial, you can never go wrong with this beer. Had it the first time in Fort Myers. Srved it slighty chilled in my Samuel Smith pub glass. Poured a bittersweet choclate brown with a milk chocolate colored head that left some fine lacing. Aromas of roasted malts and baker's chocolate waft my nose. Taste has the alcohol edge in the finish with smokey, roasted chocolate malts in the front. A great after dinner quaff.

Portertime, May 17, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Ol' Raspy pours into my trusty Full Sail pint glass black as night with a very impressive big, chestnut head. The foam takes its sweet time settling, leaving this looking like an amazing, huge shot of dark-roast espresso. After the second and final pour, the head never goes away. This is a perfect-looking brew! Great lacing.

My very first impressions of the smell are of cherry and chocolate. But the massive maltiness hits me quickly, and there is definitely some caramel. I haven't had many RISs, but I believe the nose here is a bit subtle compared to the others I know. Still quite good though. Check that - after warming up for about 45 minutes out of the fridge, this thing has opened up enough to earn an extra half point.

The taste blew my mind. Jeez. This is exceptional. The hops were a pleasant surprise. What an amazing complexity! Thick and velvety smooth on the tongue this beer goes down way too easy for a 9%er. I could totally go for another right away! World Class.

davidchollar, May 16, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a sinister looking 12oz. bottle into a mini snifter.

A - Poured black with a tanish brown head. The head quickly subsided and formed a spotty film and left scattered lacework.

S - Aroma of roasted malt and dark chocolate with ample alcohol in the finish.

T - Malty with a slight sweetness and a fair amount of smoke upfront followed by a bitter chocolatly finish. This stout is well balanced and delicious.

MF&D - Full bodied and sticky. A lip smacker after every sip. I think Rasputin has cast a spell on me. Pour some over vanilla ice cream, I did! Highly recommended.

nasty15108, May 16, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -29.5%

Pours near black on the pour with a nice half inch head. Smell is hops, roasted coffee and some dark malts. Taste is just way too much hops for my liking. Just not my style. I prefer my stouts on the unhoppy side. I appreciate it, but just not for me.

FtownThrowDown, May 16, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Brutal, strong and complicated and I'm not talking about my ex-girlfriend. This beer it the real deal. I should preface my review by stating, this is by far my favorite label design ever. Just by looking at the artwork you know you've gotten yourself into something serious, kinda like a mix between, satanism/black magic/and an orgy.

All that being said, this is not my favorite stout, however, it is an extremely admirable stout. I don't even know where to begin. It's kinda like expensive artwork. You stand in awe of it yet you can just throw it around.

The appearance is jet black. Period. The smell is complicated; chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toffee, molasses, the whole nine yards. The smell is like a flower garden in hell. Figure it out. The taste is complex and mechanical like something from a Tim Burton movie but with a twinge of bitterness due to the high Abv%. Mouthfeel is thick and strong as it should be. Drinkability I'm going to have to say is not as high as other Stouts. Simply due to the sharpness and complexity, you just can't pound these down, you have to enjoy one or two of them and think about it for a while.

mashedpotatoes, May 14, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours pitch black into a pint glass. The head is medium sized and tan in color. Smells of toasted grain. Taste is rich, molasses, espresso, and chocolate. There is an earthy hop presence as well. The beer is quite well balanced with the malt sweetness, and the bitterness from the specialty malts and hops. Mouthfeel is rich, carbonation levels are a bit high though. The alcohol presence is minimal, this is quite a drinkable beer. One of the best tasting RIS's I have had, highly recommended.

tronester, May 12, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Had this on nitro tap at the Yard House PBG, FL. Poures an amazing motor oil black with a foamy frothy nitro head that stays the entire time, Beatiful looking beer. The smell was pretty intense with ints of malty molasses prunes and also a bit of chocolate in the nose. Taste was even better, roasted malt character that goes down very smooth with hints of oak in there as well. This is a damn fine stout one of the best that I have ever tried and just amazing on Nitro tap.

gunnerman, May 11, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up a single. Mistake!

Pours an amberish...no wait, that's something else. This is black. Dark. Cute little head on it. Smells very good, one of the first beers I've tried that I can actually smell a touch of chocolate, a shade of coffee.

Tastes fantastic! Smooth & creamy & malty, with a hint of the hop & coffee & chocolate all wending its way silkily down the back of the throat.

Feels like someone stroking the back of my throat with a velvet finger. Goes down nicely, clearly a sipper, but one I could sip for a while. I wonder how it will go with my corn dogs.

maximum12, May 10, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint

Pours a used engine oil like black, completely opaque, with a two+ finger light brown head that has some mild guinness-like cascading action. As head dissipates, it leaves raindrop like holes scattered across the top.

Smell is of bittersweet chocolate, espresso, roasted malt, dark fruit, booze and a grapefruit hop presence.

Taste is primarily of bittersweet chocolate, espresso, and grapefruit hops. The alcohol is noticeable, but the big chocolate presence really cuts through the booze.

Full bodied and thick, however it has a fizzy quality.

Drinkability is par for the course for a RIS.

After looking at my empty glass, a large, sticky ring holds strong at the top of the glass and leaves some spider web like lacing. Real cool looking.

ColForbinBC, May 09, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: black with a brownish off white head and lacing sits with about a 1/4 inch of head, very few bubbles going up the glass

smell extremely sweet caramelly malt smell, some alcohol, a bit of citrusy floral hops in there

taste: coffee comes to mind a definate toasted malt flavor, well balanced with the coffee, toasted cocoa flavor contrasting nicely with a bit of citrus hop flavor in there.

mouthfeel: rather light, pretty fizzy for a stout. a bit astringent on the finish

drinkability: finishes nice and clean after the nice big toasty maltiness pretty damn good.

Donnie2112, May 08, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a jet black color with a sizable tan head, leaves a good deal of patchy lacing with a layer of foamy retention on top.

Smell is of roasted malt with a coffee presence.

Taste is very creamy with a good roasted malt presence, chocolate is more prevalent than the smell indicated which adds a good deal of sweetness, the alcohol is well hidden unlike some RIS's that I've had, good level of carbonation that's not too low or too high to ruin any creamy smoothness, easily my go-to RIS now that it's available in Maine.

deltatauhobbit, May 08, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Deathly black with a huge initial head fading into tow full fingers. Thick, copiuos lacing.

Initial aroma is roast and coffee, then a swirl reveals dark fruit and a hint of alcohol.

Licorice, alcohol, raisin, and burnt toffee are the most prominent flavors. Big warming alcohol burst in the stomach is great.

Big alcohol dryness in the mouthfeel. The carbonation is a touch high, this should be almost flat. Great example, though.

Wonderful example, even if it's a very big example. Highly recommended.

bboven, May 08, 2008
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.