Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

It is mandatory that you let this beer warm before drinking it - what a difference it makes.

When I take my first sips right from the fridge, the hops are way too harsh, making the beer unbalanced and killing the other flavors. But -- if you let it warm up some -- the hops mellow out and the other flavors come through. The beer then becomes nice and balanced.

This is a good, complex imperial stout. A bit too syrupy in the finish for me, but not as syrupy as Samuel Smiths.

Given the choice, I'd prefer Victory Storm King, my favorite impy stout. But if Storm King is unavailable, this is a good second choice.

wanker, Jun 15, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours black with a big persistant tan head, nice lacing down the glass. Aroma is dark chocolate, coffee, some spicy hop freshness and a hint of alcohol. Starts with a touch of burnt malt, some nice underlying sweetness throughout. Hops make their presence felt in the finish. It just feels like everything is big and balanced in this beer- everything in perfect proportion. It manages to be huge, delicous, and nuanced without being totally overpowering. Nice full mouthfeel. I think this is exceptionally drinkable for the style. Perhaps my favorite imperial stout.

burnstar, Jun 14, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

V.06
Starts big, and finishes big, but is a very mellow character. True to its nature, dark and heady with lots of roasted malt to the nose and tongue. Alcohol is masked nicely, but one to be aware of because these will fool you into a hallucination or two if you aren't careful. Highly recommended.

scott, Jun 12, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a Stone Russian IMP glass, black of course, brownish head, good retention. Smells wonderful, roasty malts, chocolate and hints of coffee. Tastes rich with a smooth fill, alcohol is not overly apparent. Lots going on here more for my novice palate. Good beer.

jp62099, Jun 06, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A: pours very dark brown almost black

S: roasted malts with hints of chocolate and coffee

T: roasty malts flavor with hints of chocolate. Great well rounded ballanced flavor

M: very full body, but not sticky

D: This beer will be gone before you know it, is goes down so easy, just watch how many you have.

This was one of the first Russian Imperial Stout, I had tried. I judge other RIS to this one. I was so shock and suprised by the flavor one the first sip.

harpus, Jun 03, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

a- deep brown with a nice light brown fluffy head

s- toasted malts, coffee

t/m- very unexpectedly bitter, light hops, plum is apparent, fueled by the toasted malts and strong coffee, paired with a not-too-strong carbonation

d- great example of what makes a RIS so tasty

ragekage23, Jun 02, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Pours a very dark brown with a finger of Mocha Head

S - Dark Chocolate, Roasted Malt

T - Amazing, Very Malty with a nice balance of Hops, Its like a warm cup of cocoa on a frigid day.

M - Perfect Carbonation and Very full bodied

D - This beer makes feel warm all over and takes me to my happy place

Definitely Recommend

Reed415, May 31, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Short stubby brown 12oz bottle with Rasputin in grainy black and white waving a protection spell at the drinker. Let us hope it's not a hex spell. The first time I grabbed this was 1992 when I was in my "I'll buy that because it's something I've never tried" phase. I'm still in that phase it seems. Appearance is a perfect black brew with a little bit of light sneaking in at the edges and a beautiful tan head with lots of sticky retention. This is probably my favorite smelling imperial stout; mocha, malted milk and dark chocolate aromas dominate. Tastes are these same flavors but with an alcohol warmth and a hoppy balance. Old rasputin is creamier than most imperial stouts and has a thick mouthfeel. Drinkability is high for the style but this is still a sipping beer. One of my favorite west coast breweries, North Coast set the standard on imperial stouts with this now classic brew. I've never gotten a bad or skunked bottle in 15 years so if you see it here on the east coast it is a must try.

mshallah, May 30, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a thick deep brown with a good-sized tan head that slowly diminished. Leaves some nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is coffee, chocolate, roasted malts, and just a bit of alcohol. Taste is a mixture of coffee, chocolate, some vanilla, and a bit of earthy roasted malts. A bit of hops gives it a nice quick bitter finish. Lingering tastes of coffee and chocolate. Full bodied. Maybe a little bit too much carbonation for my tastes. Overall, this is a very well done beer. Maybe not the best of the imperial stouts, but definately worthy of a try.

mdm46410, May 28, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. A vigorous pour yields an utterly opaque “pitch brown” color with a huge, milk-chocolate brown head that fades away at a moderate pace. Heavy cap and plenty of clingy lace remain. This is certainly a fine looking stout. Nose is somewhat subdued with milk chocolate, cocoa, and sweet malt in evidence. Taste is bittersweet with biting hops and toasted malts complementing a dry, dark chocolate/powdery cocoa flavor. Bitterness is high, so if that’s your cup of tea, you should enjoy this. However, I am not a fan of highly bitter stouts, so this detracted for me. There are hints of dark fruit sweetness (cherries?) but it doesn’t do much to balance the bitterness. Despite 9% ABV, no real alcohol presence. Mouth seems a bit thin for a stout but thickens as the beer warms substantially past what I’d normally serve at (typically 50-55 degrees). Semi-syrupy-creamy with mild, smooth carbonation; just not as chewy as I’d prefer. Drinkability is merely OK for me; the bitterness just turns me off.

Overall: This is a highly rated imperial stout but obviously I was not as impressed as most people have been. It’s a great looking stout to be sure, but it’s seriously aligned toward the bitter end of the spectrum, which to me overwhelms the underlying flavor complexity. Definitely allow this one to warm up for maximum viscosity and mellowness. Certainly worth a try; I’m just not certain that it lives up to its reputation. Maybe I’ll try another batch next year.

jettjon, May 28, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Gave this sucker a hard pour and got a nice head out of it that retained decently enough. The head is tan brown and the bubbles are very small and leave a few occasional strands clinging to the glass. An almost opaque black motor oil appearance, but held up to the light it looks like a very very dark reddish brown.
Sweet smell of prunes, raisins, dark chocolate (standard), and ethanol. Nice.
An initial flash of bitterness that mellows out in the middle to the typical dark chocolate taste but also with a sweetness like currants. The aftertaste smooths out even more. Very pleasant.
Full bodied with medium carbonation.
Can hardly taste the alcohol, and could drink this until I die. It feels like a session beer until you realize that it's twice the abv.
This is a good imperial stout available year around, but I either prefer something with stronger flavor (Stone) or complexity (Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout).

EmilNoldSinclair, May 27, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Bought a four pack of these this winter and just finished my last one. Yummy. I always look forward to this beer. Poured it into a pint glass, absolutely black and abysmal, just perfect for the style. Smelled of burnt coffee and bbq'd meat (maybe that's casue I'm hungry). Tastes of chocolate and coffee, with a nice little bit of heat at the end, warms the belly nicely. Overall, a very nice beer. I've heard about the 10th anniversary release of some oak-aged rasputin, but alas, it has never showed in Eugene.

Cascadia, May 23, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Bought a 12 oz bottle to consume by myself. No bottling or best-by date on it. Poured into a brandy snifter - I don't know if this is the proper glassware, but I love how it opens up the flavors and warms it. Nice, oily black color, completely opaque, with a thin, tan head. Very good retention - left rings around the glass. Smells and tastes of all sorts of dark wonderfulness: cherries, dark roast coffee, some dark chocolate, raisins, red grapes. At times the aromas reminded me of a great red wine - a tad woody, smoky, and spicy. Lots of complexity all around, and the flavors and aromas changed as it warmed up in my hand. Thick, heavy mouthfeel - not too creamy - it fits the character well. Overall, a very drinkable beer - highly recommended. A wonderful, complex drink.

ndekke39, May 20, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Saw this at a local liquor store and was amazed that this was actually being sold in my neck of the woods. I heard good things about this on here, and even though I'm not an aficianado of this style, and it's not the time of the year to drink stouts, I took the plunge and gave this a shot. Thankfully, I made the right choice, as I'm having to pace my drinking. That's the only way I've had any left in my glass, as I write this review!

The pour was one of the best I've ever seen or smelled - hands down. A nice, deep brown hue could be seen with some light around the edges. The roasted, toffee-like aroma filled my glass and quite a bit outside of that, as the head nearly overflowed. The sight of the bubbles and their long-lasting duration was quite a sight to behold, and the taste lived up to that and the smell that I could discern. The toffee was present there too, with notes of dark chocolate, caramel, and coffee tossed in. What amazed me the most was the smoothness. The few stouts that I've had all had one thing in common, and that was their bite. Alcohol could be felt front to back, and it didn't take long before the flavors were overpowered by that trait. In this case, that never happened. The flavors lingered beautifully and the dark chocolate lingered long after I finished each sip. It was only when I started to feel buzzed did I realize how strong this was.

Yes, I know that I'm not the most experienced when I come to this style, but I'd have to wholeheartedly say that this is worth the hype and a great introduction to this style for novices like me. The mouthfeel is enjoyable and solid, and there's not bitterness to be felt here. Just richly deep layers of flavor, and plenty to ponder between sips. No wonder this comes in 4-packs - I'm not quite sure that I could handle six of these!

JerzDevl2000, May 19, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

kirok1999 hooked me up with this one. thanks mark!

pours very dark brown, nearly opaque, with a small very dense tan head. the head quickly falls to a thin film and ring around the glass. spotty lace.

aroma is great. bit of alcohol. roast. lots of dark chocolate. coffee. caramel sweetness.

taste is great. nice warming alcohol. lots of roast, not quite ashy. bittersweet chocolate. espresso. medium bitterness level. light caramel sweetness. big bread and biscuit malt. as it warms the flavour fills out a little, adding in some dark fruit - cherry, date, bit of raisin.

mouthfeel is good. medium well integrated carbonation. nice big body. above average astringency.

drinkability is good. balanced and very enjoyable. glad i finally got to try this one. thanks again mark!

grub, May 15, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours opaque dark brown with not much of a lasting head, but good lace. The smell of this beer is astounding--I get a really clear licorice smell from it, which is great. The flavor is solid as well, sweet, smooth, creamy, almost reminds me of an Oreo cookie somehow. Really drinkable for this style--bitterness is in check, alcohol isn't even detectable!

akahn, May 14, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

I had this while at the Newport Beach Brewing Company. It was poured by from a bottle by my server (table side). The head disappeared almost immediately. The nose was roasted, slightly smokey, a little burnt. The mouthfeel wasn’t as creamy as some stouts--but not thin or watery at all. This stout was not dry, rather a bit sticky and syrupy. The moderately strong alcohol (8.9%) was not noticeable at all. The taste was very nice. Many porters are too burnt for my taste, this one had a definitely detectable burnt flavor in the finish, but it only enhanced the total flavor of the beer for me. I really liked this one.

PhiloPsych, May 13, 2007

I purchased this beer at store based on the glowing reviews that I have seen here. This is a mean beer and will leave you feeling loopy. Looks good and dark with a solid head. smell is strong as it should be. Tastes POW. Like coffee in a beer. Hops, lots of thngs going on here. At first I don't like it but it gets better and better. In fact its really good don't drink too many though or you will forget how to type.

ttu94, May 13, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Completely opaque black with frothy brown head.

Smells of roasted coffee, toffee, chocolate, maybe a little nutty and some alcohol.

Bittersweet chocolate, coffee, creme brule, some spice and dark fruit also show up in this complex taste experience. Good hop bitterness on the finish to leave you wanting more.

Really nice, leaves a whole bitterness in your mouth after each drink that gives the impression of a bittersweet chocolate coating rather than gripping hop lupulin. Easy to see why so many people use the word "complex" when describing this one.

BeerZack, May 12, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

12 oz bottle that I've been sitting on for about six months. The color was dark black with a decent tan head. Smell was a little roasty. The taste was good with some roastiness also. The mouth-feel was not great as the beer seemed a little thin. I was planning on aging some of this but I am not sure it is worth it. Good RIS but not my favorite.

ArrogantB, May 07, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - it's a Russian Imperial Stout, if you don't already know how nice these look, you better go out and get one!

Smell - Robust malts and solid presence of alcohol.

Taste - I was holding the bottle up to read while I sipped this from a pint glass at a friend's house. Then I felt the beer punch me in the face. I had a couple of other much larger bottles on standby to drink after this one and mistakingly made the bad correlation of little bottle / little beer.Do not make the same mistake. This had a quality mix of ingredients. Two big swigs and I already started to wobble. My alibi is that we were hauling rocks for a landscaping project.

Mouthfeel - Solid. Nice thickness. Left a film of flavors inside my mouth. Not sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing. But I wasn't trying to suck it off my tongue like when you get something too yeasty.

Drinkability - This is becoming my favorite, but I can't drink too many at a time. Respect it, I think Rasputin would have.

Scores edited after going home and trying this beer with a little more energy.

SaltyLime, May 04, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a snifter. The beer pours an opaque black, forming a 1/4 inch mocha head, leaving medium rings of lace. The aroma is heavily consisted of roasted malts and coffee. The taste is just amazing!! Strong roasted malt bitterness, coffee, and good amount of chocolate sweetness. Alcohol is not detectible, suprisingly being 9%. Mouthfeel is thick and extremely smooth. No harsh finish associated with other RIS. Drinkability is high, except for the abv. I think drinking a few of these would do it for one night. This is thee best Russian Imperial Stout that I have had the pleasure of drinking. A bit expensive, but well worth the price.

beeragent, May 01, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

So, I'm about to brew a RIS so I thought I'd stop at the local beer store. Picked up this crazy looking bottle with the cursing Rasputin on the label.

Poured it out into a pint glass and it is darker than dark...blacker than black. A hint of red when brought to a bright light. The head is voluptuous but fades quickly with minimal lacing.

The smell is pure, unadulterated malt with a hint of come hither alcohol. I was a little intimidated but it drew me in. It said, 'come closer, I won't hurt you."

The taste is very complex. There is a strong coffee/espresso taste upfront and you can definitely get the hops - they are kickin' maybe a little too much (dry hopped maybe?). Very astringent, almost made me want to pucker. The thing that really surprised me was the overwhelming sweetness of the aftertaste. Sugary almost overpowers the hops. You're left with a mix of the sweet and the bitter. Nice warmness in the belly when the alcohol rams its way home. One of those beers that makes you sit and think on what made this happen.

Mouthfeel is there and very heavy but not as heavy as one would think in a beer this heavy. There is an oily component but the astringency drives it away.

Drinkability- wouldn't want to drink more than a couple. Might be scary!

A very good beer especially given the style. This one is a good one to show new BAs. So much going on.

baxterbrew, May 01, 2007

from notes:

Dark, dark... black...

what little head there was went fast, but left an awesome swirlability with great legs and delicious carbonation comings and goings...

Aroma is chocolatey and roasty... great malty nose with sweet caramel and touches of alcohol.

Silky mouthfeel...

Cocoa upfront on the taste... smooth sweetness in the middle and a bitter bite on the swallow... flavor meanders between the sweet and bitternes with a cutting alcohol burn. I dig it.

Fugazme, Apr 27, 2007

poured very dark from the bottle with a tan head, good lacing. bouqet was impressive with the expected chocolate, espresso, toffee, and dark dried fruit notes. west coast hops also were present but subtle against these dominant aromas. a little sweet upfront but not for long as the astringent roasty flavors and subtle bittering of the hops rush in to make this beer a bit drier than i expected. alcohol warming somewhat noticeable at the end. full-bodied, naturally. i like my dark, heavy beers to present with a little more residual sweetness than this, however. still a very nice beer. not very sessionable due to the body/abv but quite tasty.

MrMcGibblets, Apr 27, 2007
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.