Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 11,055 | Reviews: 3,572

This is probably the best stout I have had in a long time. I rate this to be perfect because it is so much derserved to be. It's not too strong and it's real creamy. Rich in flavors of chocolate andbold dark stout like flavor. I have not seen or tasted a beer like this in a long time. My second choice to this would be Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

A- black as your soul. Deep mocha head is creamy and lasts a looong time. Leaves huge lacing.
S- Roasted coffee notes are wonderful. Subtle hints of chocolate blend in.
T- A thing of beauty. The same chocolate and coffee notes from the aroma blend together perfectly.
M- so smooth. A rich fullness. Not oily or slick.
O- this thing is perfection. Hides it big ABV behind a delicious wall of flavors.

It's getting colder, so that means I have to review a beer with a lot of alcohol that really warms you up. My second favorite beer of all time, just barely behind Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. This bad boy is HUGE. If you don't like your beers strong, you will absolutely hate this. On the other hand, if you like stouts, you have to give this thing a try. It's won THIRTEEN GOLD MEDALS in world beer festivals. It's as good as stouts get.

Appearance: 5 This baby is jet-black. A little red at the edges where just the faintest bit of light gets through, but that's it. A cocoa-brown head that dissipated quickly in my stein, but left nice lacing.

Smell: 5 Big alcohol smell, but also toasty coffee and roasted malts. Hits you in the face hard, so be prepared.

Taste: 5 Holy crap. Alcohol warming, but burnt coffee (in a good way) and strong chocolate. The aftertaste is strong dark chocolate and a very warming finish.

Mouthfeel: 5 thick, rich, and tongue-coating

Overall: 5 This is simply indescribable. There are too many strong flavors combining and re-combining for me to adequately describe them here. I just put short snippets of what I could, but it's simply the best stout there is. A drink that must be savored, slowly letting your mind wander to wherever the flavors take you. It's incredible. If you like stouts, this is the best one there is. A must-try.

I have had this beer on-tap and from the bottle and I have to say, this is what a stout is all about. Dark chocolaty and bold. The 75+ IBUs and 9% alcohol are hidden behind a fantastic flavor. The head is tan and allows for fantastic aromatherapy while drinking. Highly recommended.

From the bottle this beer does seem to be lacking some of the finer details of flavor found when it is on-tap.

I had this at Cask Republic in New Haven, CT on tap into a snifter.

It arrived as a lovely dark color with a nice tan head that lasted throughout. Nice lacing. Nice bitterness balanced well by the creaminess and a pronounced alcohol bite at the finish. This was my first time drinking this--hopefully many more to come. Definitely a sipper at 9% alcohol.

A: Came pitch black in the pint. Thick and intimidating with a massive head that was so thick it seemed like frosting. This is a lacing monster covering nearly every part of the glass when I was done.

S: Shoe leather, molasses, earthy hop notes, slight bit of smoke.

T: Booze, wood, smoke, peat, burnt malt. Extreme cappuccino creaminess and coffee in the middle. More of those earthy hop notes and bittersweet baking chocolate.Ends with a burnt sweetness.

M: Perfect: thick, heavy, creamy, chewy but drinkable.

O: This is a monster! How I forgot. Dark and heavy with great burnt malt and hop profile. It excels for me in a world of syrupy RIS' that have gone over the top sweet. A welcome relief. How lucky that I can get it all the time.

From the first pour. Chocolate light brown head that disolves leaving a clean line throughout. Great drink all the way through. With a mild sweet hint of chocolate that melts away with a good sharp finish after every drink. Smooth all the way through. 9%, you can taste it. With this amount of ABV it is a cool kick back beer, and something to enjoy any time. Room temp. for sure.

First and foremost many people forget that everyone has different palette and taste things differently. This review is based on my palette and how I perceive the flavors of this beer.

Appearance: The color is a lovely black with medium brown head. The color reminds my of dark roast coffee. The head resembles coffee ice cream.

Smell: The smell is wonderful and full of roasty aromas with hints of caramelized sugars.

Taste: Flavors. flavors, flavors! It has a smooth roasted coffee and cocoa. It has a wonderfully bitter finish that entices one to sip and enjoy further. I can get mild notes of oats and caramel but they are very faint.

Mouth Feel: The flavors that this beer has a mouth feel that resembles beers that have been oak aged. This beer hasn't been but the feel on the palette reminds me of many barrel aged treats.

Overall: This beer is delicious. Dark , roasted and bitter. Just the way I like them. Top-notch and outstanding quality to price ratio. I highly recommend for experienced and sophisticated palette who love dark beer.

The beer is super dark. So dark that when you hold it up to the light you can't see the light through it. It also has a beautiful mocha brown head that is 2 fingers high.

The smell is of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, carmel, and dark fruits.

The taste is roasted malts with chocolate and coffee notes and finishes with a nice hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel is medium not to thick and not thin with a nice amount of carbonation that isn't over welling.

Overall this is a beer that isn't for the faint of heart. It is for someone who appreciates a really complex beer that can savor this beer slowly.

This is the only beer I would ever give a perfect score to. Never before has such a masterpiece been crafted. It is said that one even gains intelligence from drinking this wonderful brew.

A: Oh man the waiter brought me a schooner of motor oil again, atop sat an inch of thick tan head. As I sipped, it laced amazingly. When the whole 16oz was gone, it was still laced head to toe like a magnificent art piece.

S: Deep roasted hops with caramel and coffee aromas with light spices filled my senses, followed by a barely noticeable alcohol smell. It was delectable and made my mouth water.

T: Given the alcohol content and other imperials I've had, I expected a much more bitter harsher taste. This was quite the opposite, it was smooth and delicious, very easy to drink and enjoy. An amateur beer drinker could enjoy this just as much as our seasoned vets.

M: This would have only felt better in my mouth if it was vagina. It wasnt sticky, wasn't too thick nor too thin. It was perfect, absolutely perfect.

Overall: 100/100. 2 thumbs up. Worlds most perfect beer in this category

It just doesn't get any better than this. I have tried a zillion different beers and this is a top 5.
I won't repeat what others have all ready said other than a Rasputin a day keeps the doctor away.

If I had 3 wishes in my life, a life supply of this dark black gold and a key to the north coast brewery would be one of them!

Pours a nice thick two finger head that daes into thick webbed lacing that adornes the snifter. A sexy beer, definitly one of the best ive seen. The beers color is pitch black, their is no tints of red or light that comes through. The nose is of dark chocolate, some vanilla, hops, and ample malt sweetness. The taste is about the same as the smell with a very creamy mouthfeel. One of the best bangs for your buck.

I have been wanting to try this one for quite some time, and I recently received a bottle from a friend. So lets jump right into this one.

Look: Opaque black body with a creamy coffee head with good retention and lacing. Simply beautiful

Smell: Immediately gives off the scents of rich medium roasted coffee/coffee ice cream, rich dark chocolate, toasted wheat and bread, roasted nuts, oak, vanilla, and a very slight hint of red wine. Marvelous aroma.

Taste: WOW, the first thing I get is Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. Although its pretty obvious, coffee is the dominating flavor in this brew, but the coffee does allow the flavors of dark chocolate, charred oak, vanilla, toasted bread and nuts to seep into the taste. Its big and malty up front with the perfect amount of hop bitterness at the finish and a nice amount of warmth form the alcohol, and gives off a slight flavor of red wine and orange rinds. Simply Delicious

Mouthfeel: Its thick, smooth, has the perfect on tongue sensation/level of carbonation, and is warm going down. It feels wonderful going down.

Drinkability: Too drinkable, I would have No Problem having a 4 pack of these all in one night. The flavor, texture, and consistency of this stout are downright incredible.

This is without a doubt, one of if not the best stout(s) I've ever had.

I love the label. I didn’t know until I wrote the “what they said” for this beer that the label is actually Old Rasputin. Clever name… or clever label. Anyway, I have seen this beer before, but I am not sure I have had it. But since we have so many stouts in the fridge I figured we would go ahead and drink another one tonight. This one has a pretty big ABV and the word “imperial” usually excites me. Let’s see what she has to offer.

In the Glass: The beer is pitch black in the glass. It has a creamy head on it with a thin lace that tries to hang on… but just drips all the way down as you swirl it in the glass. But the beer is dark as night.

Nose: I could smell this beer as soon as I popped the top. It smells VERY sweet, fruity, and a hint of salty caramel there at the end. It smells so good I don’t even want to drink it. This beer better taste as good as it smells, because I am sick of beers not tasting close to what they smell. Anyway, let’s see if it lives up.

Flavor: The beer is VERY smooth. Holy cow, there is hardly any carbonation in this beer. I didn’t want there to be either. Maybe that’s what the “imperial” means. When the beer first hits your lips it goes in smooth, and just dances across your palate leaving hints of honey, chocolate, and coffee all over your tongue. Holy crap, this beer is delicious.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is like a parade in your mouth. You can use that… because as soon as you drink this you will see what I mean. The beer is somewhat creamy, and frothy and just slowly coats the tongue to give your mouth a ton of flavor. The beer has very little carbonation, and when you swallow the most bubbles come out as the beer takes you to aftertaste.

Aftertaste: I like an aftertaste that sticks around. This one does. For a LONG time. At first it’s cold and sweet, then it quickly turns dry, bitter, and almost stale. But a good kind of stale. The bitterness is what I am mistaking for as stale. Anyway, the aftertaste is strong on for a good three to five minutes. The burp is nice too. This is just an all around good beer. Not sure there is anything bad I could say about this beer. Well, maybe that my glass is empty.

I am a BIG fan of this brew. Those folks over there at North Coast Brewing have done it again. Keep up the good work and bottoms up!

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - The bottle says: “Brewed in the tradition of the 18th century English brewers who supplied the Russian court of Catherine the Great. Old Rasputin develops a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big, complex flavors and a warming finish.

Poured from a bottle into a glass, this beer was darker then my cast iron skillet. Truly beautiful color to this beer!
Almost no head was left a minute after pouring, just a slight ring around the glass. Though, immediately after pouring a light brown foaminess was present.
The notes in this beer changed throughout, upon pouring I was hit with an oceany seaweed saltiness which, after a minute, turned into heady roasted chocolate malt scent. Finally I was left with a slight hint of burnt coffee. A deep inhalation will let the drinker take note of the alcohol present.
This beer is thick with an almost creamlike consistency.
The taste; wow, even a minute after a sip of this beer my taste buds feel like they are fizzing with flavor, very deep strong taste throughout the whole palate.
This is a great beer if you like stouts, if you don't like very heavy heady beer, I wouldn't even try this beer. Personally, I love stouts, and have very rarely had a stout better then this one, in fact only one comes to mind, though it isn't available where I live.
I would, and do, drink this beer often. This is by far the best stout available in Hawaii!

A truly excellent Stout. The flavor is exceptional. I am sincerely impressed with this one, and glad it is available year round. I love Stouts, and the funny thing is, I have seen it on the shelves many times and thought "maybe next time",but I finally decided to try it and now I am a big fan. If you are in the mood for an awesome Stout, (regardless of price or availability)do yourself a favor and try Old Rasputin. You will be glad you did.

A - Gorgeous pitch black body with a creamy light tan head. A lot of bubbles rise to the top from the pour and settle at top. Nice lacing on the glass sticks around.

S - Huge roasty ,malty ,chocolate aroma here. The aroma alone from this beer will warm you up on a cold night. I can also smell some of the alcohol coming through but its not overwhelming.

T - WOW! A beautiful balance of roasted malts, chocolate, and warmth (not so much a taste but that's what I get). The alcohol gives it the strength while the other components add elegance to this complex brew.

M- Velvety and silky mouthfeel. Goes down super smooth with some carbonation on the tongue.

D- This beer must be enjoyed slowly and consciously in order to get the full experience. Maybe one or two on a lazy cold night . Wonderful experience !

A-black cascading carbonation into a pint glass that revealed a dark brown head and sticky lacing that discipated rather quickly.

S-burnt toast and caramel with chocolate and coffee. Good amount of hop bitterness in the backround that is masked by alcohol.

T-Very robust coffee and burnt malt with overwhelming malt charachter. Alot going on with alot of forefront alcohol that rushes a warmth throughout the palate.

D/M- awesome classic beer to relax with and just take it all in.

Oh boy, the Tsar of Beer. Looked at the label three seperate times to see where it was brewed. Yup, Fort Bragg California!

A- Dark, Dark with a beautiful four finger head that waited around for a good long time.

S- Malt, chocolate, burnt brown sugar.

T- What a wonderful rich creamy chocolate.

M- Great carbonation and thick and rich. Would be amazing in the winter.

D- One of the best ever! A classic and well worth the praise.

This Northern California brewed Russian Imperial Stout is one of my favorite beers. Old Rasputin is absolutely deliciously overwhelming with roasted malt and alcohol. It should really be poured into a glass first so the beautiful brown head can be enjoyed. Despite being 9% alcohol, this beer is surprisingly easy to drink.

Pours a dark black color with a thick, frothy coffee/tan head. Aroma dominated by roasted chocolate maltiness and coffee. Very smooth and creamy quaffable beer that masks the high ABV very well. Dark roasted chocolate maltiness throughout with coffee, oatmeal, toffee and burnt toast notes. Excellent.

First of all, I barely ever give a beer a perfect score, but I can't find anything wrong with this beer. It is truly oustanding.

A-Pours pitch black with a mdium to small, creamy espresso crema colored head that has excellent retention and strong thick lacing. Very enticing appearance indeed.

S-The aroma is so beautiful with sweet roasted barely, toffee and notes of caramel. Maybe also some faint earthy hops in the back. No alcohol detected.

T-And the flavor is nothing short of awesome. Roasted barely, and toffee and sweet caramel and noticable bitterness from some slightly earthy hops to balance everything. No alcohol detected. There seems to be some licorice in the flavor that I did not get in the aroma. hmmm

M-This beer has a huge body and is oh so creamy and smooth. There is no harshness at all.

D-If this beer was 5% abv, I could drink this all day and night. But low and behold, it's 9% abv, so I might be able to have 2 in a night. But I love just sippin this sniffer glass full of OR RIS. Perfect RIS indeed. WOW....

I wouldn't session this beer. I couldn't .
I do love this beer. I do.
Color: Deep Black dirty white head
Taste: Coffee, chocolate, nutty, bitter
Aroma: Caramel, coffee, nutty malt

A beautiful rendition of an Imperial Stout. Much appreciated for the winter time. This has been a exceptionally cold one.

This is an awesome beer! I love Stout and I drink this beer when I am in a very good mood. Today I found it very very very cheap then the normal price I found. Nice smooth drinking imperial stout. Great taste and very easy finish stout. I found this at Trader Joe's at a very good price. Try it!

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.