Follow our progress ...

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Reviews: 3,627 | Ratings: 11,820

This is the best Russian Imperial Stout that could ever exist. It is roasty, toasty, chocolatey, coffee tasting, sweet, bitter, smooth and balanced. It is absolutely perfect in every way.

The stout pours jet black, brown edges, chocolate milk head, about a finger thick (the dark chocolate milk, just like I like to make it) that laces nicely.

The smell is roasty, toasty, chocolatey. Perfect melding of notes. The taste is roasty, toasty, chocolatey, coffee tasting, sweet, bitter, smooth and balanced. The flavors knit together so perfectly, it brings tears to my eyes. Perfect.

Mouthfeel is full but not heavy or cloying. The drinkability is perfect. Amazing in every way. Stupendous.

I have to say, I love beer that fills the pallet. If I can see through it, I may not want to try it if I'm not familiar with it. My first experience with Imperial Stout was not a pleasant one. It was harsh and bitter. I shied away from such things until I discovered Old Rasputin. It's not harsh at all. I fills the pallet with all the flavors and notes I enjoy. It's not a beginners beer by any means. You have to really love the fullness and complexity that comes with such brews. It's not something I could drink one after the other for extended periods, but prefer to alternate between this and 90 Minute Imperial IPA from Dogfish Head.

What's left to say about Old Rasputin that hasn't been said. Probably my favorite beer. There may be more obscure, fussier beers out there. But this one comes through time and time again. I like beers that have complex flavors fade in an out through the swallow. This one has all of that. Nice blend of chocolate, coffee, and fruit flavors. A great, classic beer that will never go out of style.

A- black as your soul. Deep mocha head is creamy and lasts a looong time. Leaves huge lacing.
S- Roasted coffee notes are wonderful. Subtle hints of chocolate blend in.
T- A thing of beauty. The same chocolate and coffee notes from the aroma blend together perfectly.
M- so smooth. A rich fullness. Not oily or slick.
O- this thing is perfection. Hides it big ABV behind a delicious wall of flavors.

I have been wanting to try this one for quite some time, and I recently received a bottle from a friend. So lets jump right into this one.

Look: Opaque black body with a creamy coffee head with good retention and lacing. Simply beautiful

Smell: Immediately gives off the scents of rich medium roasted coffee/coffee ice cream, rich dark chocolate, toasted wheat and bread, roasted nuts, oak, vanilla, and a very slight hint of red wine. Marvelous aroma.

Taste: WOW, the first thing I get is Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. Although its pretty obvious, coffee is the dominating flavor in this brew, but the coffee does allow the flavors of dark chocolate, charred oak, vanilla, toasted bread and nuts to seep into the taste. Its big and malty up front with the perfect amount of hop bitterness at the finish and a nice amount of warmth form the alcohol, and gives off a slight flavor of red wine and orange rinds. Simply Delicious

Mouthfeel: Its thick, smooth, has the perfect on tongue sensation/level of carbonation, and is warm going down. It feels wonderful going down.

Drinkability: Too drinkable, I would have No Problem having a 4 pack of these all in one night. The flavor, texture, and consistency of this stout are downright incredible.

This is without a doubt, one of if not the best stout(s) I've ever had.

Serving type: 12 oz bottle

It's really dark, black essentially. It looks good. Smells toasty, coffee-like, nutty even. Smells great. Amazing really. Tastes as it smells, toasty roasty coffee goodness, slightly sweet maltiness, with a small alcohol burn at the end. It tastes pretty great. Very thick feeling with moderate carbonation that gives the beer a pleasant creamy feel.

I love this stuff. Will definitely be buying more for years to come.

I tried this at the local beer joint. I rated it at 95% and then checked beeradvocate and found that everyone else voted 95 also. Good to know that I know what makes a good beer.

Appearance: Presentation a short twelve ounce bottle with a menacing scetching of Rasputin very neat. Pours dark like Darth Mauls heart from Star Wars. Pours a tan very chunky three fingers of head nice head rentention.

Aromas: Large amounts of very dark roasted coffee or espresso. The malts in this pint of darkness are roasted something dark wow. The chocolate notes are incredible.

Taste: The coffee chocolate and espresso flavors stand out absolutely perfectly. The dark roasted malts roam all around the palate nice and slowly. The mouthfeel is beyond creamy it's like silk remarkably smooth and smooth is an understatement.

Notes: My fellow Beer Advocates this Russian Imperial stout is the Czar of Russian Imperial stouts. Tasting this masterpeice was like an adreniline rush. Na zdorovje

so close to perfect. It's dark and complex, bitter, good mouth feel. Some day I would like to make a beer very similar to this one. I don't expect anyone to improve upon it. Oddly enough I don't like anything else I've had from this brewery.

Pours from a 12oz bottle into my nonic glass with a HUGE HEAD. Be super careful on the pour because this thing just wants to rise right out of the glass. Piercing black-hole darkness reveals just a tinge of ruby when held up to the light; It actually looks somewhat clear, just incredibly black. So much whipped-cream dark tan head. Thin but super persistent lacing rings mark each and every swallow. OMG. A five if there ever was one.

Huge! huge bursting sweet chocolatey coffee malts, so much sexy, sexy stout flavor. If I try hard I might be able to pick out some hops... But it might be my imagination. This beer completely scorches my sense of smell. I have to give it a good minute of rest before going in for another whiff, which immediately burns up my scent receptors with coffee, and chocolate, and more coffee, and more chocolate. A little bit of metallic twinge.

Okay, you're kidding me, right? I think North Coast has bottled a mocha chocolate milkshake and called it beer. The taste is so intense, so strong and bittersweet with coffee and chocolate, toffee, roasted nuts. It tempts me to guzzle, and I give in for a few swallows. Wow, wow, wow. Awesome slow and savory or quick and greedy.

Mouthfeel... Like I said... milkshake. Thick, lustrous, creamy, silky. Not chewy, but full, full, swirling, frothy, creamy. Swallowing almost completely clears the palate, which is welcome - there's a lingering, almost (if I may be crude) phlegmlike sensation of sweet, delicious flavors that hangs out on the very back of the tongue and coats the throat. Soooo good. Where the heck is the alcohol? I guess it must be in my belly!

Buy, beg, panhandle, or steal for this beer. Buy out the whole shelves. I want to give it fives across the board. Do I dare? Do I dare? I dare! Utterly one of the best beers I have ever, ever had in my life. A life-changing experience!

Yummy! Pours Very Dark with a dark brown head. Dry roast and coffee aroma. Nice sweetness with a little bitter hops kick. Complex initial taste has a strong dark fruit presence with bitter chocolate, coffee, and licorice. Head laces from top to bottom and the overall retension hints at a decent amount of hopping. I love the balance of this beer.

Just fabulous. Absolutely fabulous. It's pretty. It's tasty. It smells good. If it could walk and talk and have sex with me, I'd marry it. Rasputin and Storm King are my winter Stout staples. An almost perfectly balanced Stout. Just dry and hoppy enough and sweet and malty enough at the same time. Velvety on the tongue without being cloying and viscous. I love this beer!

A: Pours with the usual Nitro flare, with khaki froth falling to the bottom of the glass. Head retention is top notch, lasting over 20min. The body is jet black, and opaque, no matter the lighting.

S: Bouquet is well presented, with notes of chocolate, coffee, and demerara sugar.

T: Ol' Raspy is semi-sweet with notes of dark chocolate, cream, and demerara.

M: Full bodied and creamy without being sticky or sloppy. Rich, yet delicate.

D: I have always loved the Old Rasputin, but the nitro offering is a great improvement. The bottled version is slightly hoppier than it should be, and the nitro both mutes this, and enhances the mouthfeel. Overall, this is a must have if you ever see it at your local pub.

Pours a dark black color with a thick, frothy coffee/tan head. Aroma dominated by roasted chocolate maltiness and coffee. Very smooth and creamy quaffable beer that masks the high ABV very well. Dark roasted chocolate maltiness throughout with coffee, oatmeal, toffee and burnt toast notes. Excellent.

This beer is my closer any time I'm out and its on tap.

You can have a line up of beers and if you end your evening with this beer, you've done well for yourself. This beer is the equivalent of a fresh from the oven molten chocolate cake, home made vanilla ice cream and an espresso all at once.

Dark, rich, mellow, smooth, flavorful, not overpowering but yet full of flavor... when it's placed in front of you take your time appreciating it in its glory.

A - Pours an oily jet black with a finger and a half of tan, creamy head with swirls of white cream within, nice thick whispy lacing.
S - Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, slightly smokey, roasted malts and an interesting, freshy earthiness.
T - Absolutely delicious, but be sure and let it warm up a bit first. Malts, coffee, slightly chocolate, quite sweet, a little bitterness at the end. Full bodied and very smooth and creamy mouthfeel.
O - A damned good, 5 star stout. A real treat for a cold autumn or winter day.
V - Quite hard to find and expensive, but must be experienced at least once within your life time.

This is my first time ever having this beer and I'm cracking one open now!

Appearance: A outstandingly beautiful black body with a creamy two finger head that settles... but not too quickly. Leaves quite a bit of lacing.

Smell: Dark coffee, hints of chocolate and roasty smell.

Taste: Exceptional... Extremely well put together and balanced, you get exactly what you get in the nose. Bitter...but also sweet Chocolate,roasted coffee, there's some alcohol in it..but it definitely doesn't take away from the wonderful taste. Towards the end of the glass it finished with a dry chocolatey bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium to thick bodied it stands in between. Amazing mouthfeel though.

Overall: This is the best beer I have had to date. A lot of people recommended it to me and I'm really glad I took their advice. If you're a fan of Russian Imperial Stouts.. give this one a try you WILL not be disappointed. This will have a consistent place in my fridge. (Especially for the price!)

My favorite beer. Dark, but beautiful. Like many Russian Imperial Stouts, it's high in alcohol content. That being said, it's awesome. For a craft beer, it's fairly priced. Definitely worth a try if you haven't!

Pours very black - black enough to stop the winter sun - with a creamy, two-finger tan colored head. Strong dark-roasted coffee aroma and taste, finishing with notes of bitter cocoa and rye. No doubt their malt is kilned. Alcohol is well hidden by a caramelized, peppery, herbal bouquet. Subtle hints of sour fruit are in there somewhere. A very nuanced stout. Feels just like it looks: full-bodied and viscous with a mere touch of astringency. I can't find anything wrong with this beer. It has a legitimate claim to best in class.

This is the only beer I would ever give a perfect score to. Never before has such a masterpiece been crafted. It is said that one even gains intelligence from drinking this wonderful brew.

A: Oh man the waiter brought me a schooner of motor oil again, atop sat an inch of thick tan head. As I sipped, it laced amazingly. When the whole 16oz was gone, it was still laced head to toe like a magnificent art piece.

S: Deep roasted hops with caramel and coffee aromas with light spices filled my senses, followed by a barely noticeable alcohol smell. It was delectable and made my mouth water.

T: Given the alcohol content and other imperials I've had, I expected a much more bitter harsher taste. This was quite the opposite, it was smooth and delicious, very easy to drink and enjoy. An amateur beer drinker could enjoy this just as much as our seasoned vets.

M: This would have only felt better in my mouth if it was vagina. It wasnt sticky, wasn't too thick nor too thin. It was perfect, absolutely perfect.

Overall: 100/100. 2 thumbs up. Worlds most perfect beer in this category

First of all, I barely ever give a beer a perfect score, but I can't find anything wrong with this beer. It is truly oustanding.

A-Pours pitch black with a mdium to small, creamy espresso crema colored head that has excellent retention and strong thick lacing. Very enticing appearance indeed.

S-The aroma is so beautiful with sweet roasted barely, toffee and notes of caramel. Maybe also some faint earthy hops in the back. No alcohol detected.

T-And the flavor is nothing short of awesome. Roasted barely, and toffee and sweet caramel and noticable bitterness from some slightly earthy hops to balance everything. No alcohol detected. There seems to be some licorice in the flavor that I did not get in the aroma. hmmm

M-This beer has a huge body and is oh so creamy and smooth. There is no harshness at all.

D-If this beer was 5% abv, I could drink this all day and night. But low and behold, it's 9% abv, so I might be able to have 2 in a night. But I love just sippin this sniffer glass full of OR RIS. Perfect RIS indeed. WOW....

I love the label. I didn’t know until I wrote the “what they said” for this beer that the label is actually Old Rasputin. Clever name… or clever label. Anyway, I have seen this beer before, but I am not sure I have had it. But since we have so many stouts in the fridge I figured we would go ahead and drink another one tonight. This one has a pretty big ABV and the word “imperial” usually excites me. Let’s see what she has to offer.

In the Glass: The beer is pitch black in the glass. It has a creamy head on it with a thin lace that tries to hang on… but just drips all the way down as you swirl it in the glass. But the beer is dark as night.

Nose: I could smell this beer as soon as I popped the top. It smells VERY sweet, fruity, and a hint of salty caramel there at the end. It smells so good I don’t even want to drink it. This beer better taste as good as it smells, because I am sick of beers not tasting close to what they smell. Anyway, let’s see if it lives up.

Flavor: The beer is VERY smooth. Holy cow, there is hardly any carbonation in this beer. I didn’t want there to be either. Maybe that’s what the “imperial” means. When the beer first hits your lips it goes in smooth, and just dances across your palate leaving hints of honey, chocolate, and coffee all over your tongue. Holy crap, this beer is delicious.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is like a parade in your mouth. You can use that… because as soon as you drink this you will see what I mean. The beer is somewhat creamy, and frothy and just slowly coats the tongue to give your mouth a ton of flavor. The beer has very little carbonation, and when you swallow the most bubbles come out as the beer takes you to aftertaste.

Aftertaste: I like an aftertaste that sticks around. This one does. For a LONG time. At first it’s cold and sweet, then it quickly turns dry, bitter, and almost stale. But a good kind of stale. The bitterness is what I am mistaking for as stale. Anyway, the aftertaste is strong on for a good three to five minutes. The burp is nice too. This is just an all around good beer. Not sure there is anything bad I could say about this beer. Well, maybe that my glass is empty.

I am a BIG fan of this brew. Those folks over there at North Coast Brewing have done it again. Keep up the good work and bottoms up!

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - The bottle says: “Brewed in the tradition of the 18th century English brewers who supplied the Russian court of Catherine the Great. Old Rasputin develops a cult following wherever it goes. It’s a rich, intense brew with big, complex flavors and a warming finish.

A perfect example of the style... It is what I compare all other RIS's to. Not sure why this isn't rated even higher, but it doesn't require a harpoon and large fishing vessel to land.

pours out an opaque dark brown colour...beautiful. ruby tinted tan head appears and sticks frothfully. lots of lace. aroma of fuitcake and cherries...monster cookies, rum, port wine, etc. taste is oh so tasty and amazing with its layered toffee and caramel goodness and with its fig flavoured rum soaked fruit cake nuances. enough dark roasted features to satisfy. then comes the amazingly well balanced hoppiness...seems so integrated but defined. this has a lot of norhtwest hop character...but so definitely more baltic porter than imperial stout. this ranks right up there with the all time faves of style and celebrity. i can see why i was blown away when first reviewing this beer years ago...it still boggles the mind. full bodied, silky mouthfeel, and an alcohol warmth in the finish. damn tasty. drinkability rocks. i love it.

Sampled at the Farmers Cabinet in Philly. Off nitro this beer is untouchable. Massive two finger head blends slowly and beautifully. I've had it from a standard tap and a bottle but nitro is a whole other experience. Body is silky smooth and creamy. I've encountered lots of beer and very few can be considered perfect; this is one that can. A+

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.