Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 11,059 | Reviews: 3,574

Tremendously enjoyable Imperial Stout. Delicious with that malty, chocolaty taste, great head, wonderful lacing, one to keep in the rotation.

Cery heavy. Love the bitterness. Good thing i had this brew for this ohio winter. Made me feel like rasputin himself.

A: Came pitch black in the pint. Thick and intimidating with a massive head that was so thick it seemed like frosting. This is a lacing monster covering nearly every part of the glass when I was done.

S: Shoe leather, molasses, earthy hop notes, slight bit of smoke.

T: Booze, wood, smoke, peat, burnt malt. Extreme cappuccino creaminess and coffee in the middle. More of those earthy hop notes and bittersweet baking chocolate.Ends with a burnt sweetness.

M: Perfect: thick, heavy, creamy, chewy but drinkable.

O: This is a monster! How I forgot. Dark and heavy with great burnt malt and hop profile. It excels for me in a world of syrupy RIS' that have gone over the top sweet. A welcome relief. How lucky that I can get it all the time.

If I could afford it, I would drink this every single day. Easily my favorite beer of all time.Bread read, raisins, chocolate, coffee, spices, and the perfect boozy finish are enough to make this beer seem like a staple food. The only other brew I could compare to Old Rasputin is Sierra Nevada Narwhal. But since that one is harder to find, I stick by my claim of this being the best beer in the world.

A-black cascading carbonation into a pint glass that revealed a dark brown head and sticky lacing that discipated rather quickly.

S-burnt toast and caramel with chocolate and coffee. Good amount of hop bitterness in the backround that is masked by alcohol.

T-Very robust coffee and burnt malt with overwhelming malt charachter. Alot going on with alot of forefront alcohol that rushes a warmth throughout the palate.

D/M- awesome classic beer to relax with and just take it all in.

The beer is super dark. So dark that when you hold it up to the light you can't see the light through it. It also has a beautiful mocha brown head that is 2 fingers high.

The smell is of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, carmel, and dark fruits.

The taste is roasted malts with chocolate and coffee notes and finishes with a nice hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel is medium not to thick and not thin with a nice amount of carbonation that isn't over welling.

Overall this is a beer that isn't for the faint of heart. It is for someone who appreciates a really complex beer that can savor this beer slowly.

A - black as night with a 1 finger tan head. Beautiful lacing lasting the whole beer through.

S - roasty with chocolate, caramel

T - on the bitter side with no bite from the alcohol, extremely rounded stout. Nice roasts and definite caramel and chocolate hints. Balanced.

M - creamy just a bit bitter.

O - this is now one of my go to stouts. Very balanced, dangerously drinkable.

I wouldn't session this beer. I couldn't .
I do love this beer. I do.
Color: Deep Black dirty white head
Taste: Coffee, chocolate, nutty, bitter
Aroma: Caramel, coffee, nutty malt

A beautiful rendition of an Imperial Stout. Much appreciated for the winter time. This has been a exceptionally cold one.

Poured from a bottle into a glass, this beer was darker then my cast iron skillet. Truly beautiful color to this beer!
Almost no head was left a minute after pouring, just a slight ring around the glass. Though, immediately after pouring a light brown foaminess was present.
The notes in this beer changed throughout, upon pouring I was hit with an oceany seaweed saltiness which, after a minute, turned into heady roasted chocolate malt scent. Finally I was left with a slight hint of burnt coffee. A deep inhalation will let the drinker take note of the alcohol present.
This beer is thick with an almost creamlike consistency.
The taste; wow, even a minute after a sip of this beer my taste buds feel like they are fizzing with flavor, very deep strong taste throughout the whole palate.
This is a great beer if you like stouts, if you don't like very heavy heady beer, I wouldn't even try this beer. Personally, I love stouts, and have very rarely had a stout better then this one, in fact only one comes to mind, though it isn't available where I live.
I would, and do, drink this beer often. This is by far the best stout available in Hawaii!

My favorite beer on the planet PERIOD...... Everything about this beer is top notch. I was fortunate enough to work for a distribution company that carried North Coast products. One taste of Rasputin and I was hooked. My only issue is that it only comes in 4 packs :)

Pours a dark brown/black. Has a frothy 3 finger dark tan head that goes down quickly leaving rings and chunks on the glass. I Swirled this one around at least 20 times to see the amazing lacing paterns.

Smells of milk chocolate, dark fruits, alcohol, and cherries with a lot of dark roasted/smokey malts. This smells heavenly.

Tates better than the perfect 5 score I gave it. BItter, chocolate, coffie, sweet...all that I expect from a ris. The difference of this one compared to other ris is is is SO easy to conusme. Smooth.

The mouthfeel is silky smooth. Light carbonation. Bitter sweet aftertaste that has alcohol reveled along side.

Not the most complex RIS, howerver, one of the best I have ever had. This is now In my top 5 list.

A masterpiece!

Visual - A dark, jet black color with creamy mocha head.

Aroma - A very pleasant earthy roasted malt scent with hints of chocolate and espresso. It's incredibly alluring.

Taste - Flavors are strong coffee with mild sweetness, and a very bitter and slight alcohol aftertaste. It's a very warm and comforting taste that begs to be savored.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied with little carbonation. Incredibly smooth and creamy.

Drinkability - The perfect drink for cold weathers. Soothing and delicious.

Overall - The best Imperial Stout I've had. Excellent in all aspects for a good beer.

This is probably the best stout I have had in a long time. I rate this to be perfect because it is so much derserved to be. It's not too strong and it's real creamy. Rich in flavors of chocolate andbold dark stout like flavor. I have not seen or tasted a beer like this in a long time. My second choice to this would be Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

A - Gorgeous pitch black body with a creamy light tan head. A lot of bubbles rise to the top from the pour and settle at top. Nice lacing on the glass sticks around.

S - Huge roasty ,malty ,chocolate aroma here. The aroma alone from this beer will warm you up on a cold night. I can also smell some of the alcohol coming through but its not overwhelming.

T - WOW! A beautiful balance of roasted malts, chocolate, and warmth (not so much a taste but that's what I get). The alcohol gives it the strength while the other components add elegance to this complex brew.

M- Velvety and silky mouthfeel. Goes down super smooth with some carbonation on the tongue.

D- This beer must be enjoyed slowly and consciously in order to get the full experience. Maybe one or two on a lazy cold night . Wonderful experience !

From the first pour. Chocolate light brown head that disolves leaving a clean line throughout. Great drink all the way through. With a mild sweet hint of chocolate that melts away with a good sharp finish after every drink. Smooth all the way through. 9%, you can taste it. With this amount of ABV it is a cool kick back beer, and something to enjoy any time. Room temp. for sure.

Tried this a few months ago and couldn't believe what I was tasting. High alcohol level , but you barely notice this over the great flavour.

I can't find it in the summer months, so I'm waiting for the fall to stock up.
This is everything a stout should be - the platonic ideal stout!

4.98/5  rDev +15.8%

Bottle aggressive pour into pint glass
A: dark black oil like with coffe colored head good lacing/ retention looks fantastic!
S: coffe dark chocolate slight alcohol burnt caramel vanilla smells great
T: roasty toasty malty up front chocolate coffe cream then finishes hoppy bitter.Wow !
M: creamy yet not quite as thick as I expected silky smooth
O: yeah wow. I'm converted. this is no doubt the best beer I've ever had. And the reviews say this is above average. What's top shelf taste like?? I'm in for life with the RIS.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Just finished my second 12 oz bottle of this and DAMN is that good. Most of my experience with beer has been with Belgian strong Ales, in particular all of the Trappist beers along with similar Belgian brands and American beers in the Belgian style. My two favorite beers are Rochefort 10 and St Bernardus 12. In recent years I've been trying different Stouts and Porters and, although I don't have tremendous experience with them yet, I'm quickly discovering the world of flavors out there that go beyond the various dark fruits and assorted sugars that accompany your typical Dubbles, Triples and Quadruples.

A fellow shopper at the market recommended Old Rasputin Imperial Stout to me and I've been blown away by how something so roasted and bitter can at the same time be sweet and smooth. From the get go this beer is thick, viscous, and oily, not that that's to it's detriment. In fact the wonderful chewiness just hooks you into discovering the many wonderful facets of the beer. Immediately you taste the full intensity of the coffee, toffee, roasted malts and baker's chocolate it has. There's a burnt quality to the malt that, along with providing a pleasant bitterness, also includes the required sweetness that is reminiscent of a burnt s'mores marshmallow rather than anything unpleasant. Then there's the coffee flavor. I tend to drink really dark, black coffee and this beer has loads of that toasty, smokey and bitter flavor that I cherish. Finally there's the great Christmas toffee and dark chocolate flavors that blend seamlessly with the sweetness and bitterness of the other flavors and tie everything together nicely.

Also quite remarkable it this beer's head, which is truly like a silky pillow. I can easily say that the foam tasted and felt in my mouth like a liquid marshmallow. I've never had a beer whose head was that silky, smooth, and sweet. I couldn't believe it was beer foam.

In the short amount of time I've been exploring Imperial Stouts I can easily say that this the best I've come across so far. I'm happy to give it my highest recommendation.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Old Rasputin is one of my favorite beers. It pours a dark black with a one finger tan head that settles into a ring of lace. Aromas of chocolate, coffee malt a slight hint of licorice, and a little bit of fruitiness. This beer is a full frontal assault on the taste buds and successfully accomplishes the mission. The taste is full of roasted malt, a bit of mocha sweetness with a slight amount of hop bitterness at the end. Full bodied flavor with medium carbonation. Watch out the 9% abv will sneak up and hit you in the ass! This beer is not for everyone. It has very strong and bold flavors. If you are a stout fan, I have yet to find a better example of a beer in this class and this is a MUST try.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

jet black. opaque. with a big dark brown head.

smells incredible. huge aroma all over the board with a little of everything. bitter roasted malts, caramel, coffee, dark chocolate, hops and esters such as raisin. but mostly a very complex malt aroma.

very malty flavor. roasted malt bitterness. coffee, toffee. flavor of dark roasted malts lingers a long time. up front very sweet but finishes very bitter from the malts. very warming.

this is a big beer with a crisp finish, but the crisp finish seems to do nothing to cleanse the palate. velvety, and rich.

overall i dont have a lot to add. this beer is what i will be dreaming of tonight. i think that old rasputin should outshine rasputin himself in the history books.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Very dark, black as night; a nice brown rocky head with good retention. Highly roasted malt aromas and alcoholic to the nose. Smooth, potent and espresso like with a high burnt malt and hop bitterness that finishes on the sweet side to say the least. Very complex, and true to its style. I love this beer and always enjoy it at the end of hard day's night!

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

This has to be the most easy to drink Imperial Stout I've ever had. It poured an almost opaque black with a awesome brown head that was so big I had to wait a few minutes for it to die down. The smell was of dark chocolate and hops. The taste was just about the same as the smell, with a perfect mix of coffee flavors in there. The thing I loved about this brew is that it was powerful but not overpowering. I could sit back and enjoy the whole 4 pack in one sitting, even though they are 8.9% a piece! Great beer!

Wow....

A - dark and sexy...just like a stout should be.

S - coffee and chocolate hints touch the nose... Probably more coffee than anything.

T - outstanding... Hits you upfront with a coffee shot and then settles into a chocolate background. Delicious and heavy this is a stout you pay attention to.

M - for as bold as the taste is....mouthfeel is a little bit watery. Not bad, just unexpected.

O - Do yourself a favor and pick this up. Not a session beer... Too heavy... But incredibly enjoyable in small doses. Enjoy!

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

appearance - black as night, brown uneven head

smell - molasses, chocolate, anise, coffee, and roasted malt

taste - sweet first, mixed with the anise and coffee, a drink is followed by a light bitter aftertaste which is colored by anise and chocolate primarily

mouthfeel - thick, smooth, and creamy, decent carbonation, pleasantly heavy

drinkability - I could drink these every day, but they are particularly enjoyable in the cold because of the pleasant warmth that spreads through your body as you drink (thar be alcohol!)

To date this is my favorite brew. I've yet to find a single beer/ale which compares in terms of flavor and overall awesomeness. Although this winter I will be trying the Abyss, so Rasputin's top seat my be in danger.

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

I love the label design on this bottle. That crazy mad monk staring out from a smoky haze, I think that alone does a lot for the near-legendary status of this stout.

A- Poured into an Imperial pint glass. Pefectly black in the center. Dark reddish tints on the edges. Thick and creamy tan head, about a finger high from my pour. It receeds a little fast for me, but maintians a tight lace which makes up for it.

S- Espresso aromas POP! I can smell that from an arms length. Chocolate notes linger and some spices hint around the edges.

T- Excellent follow through from the smell. Espresso, chocalate, some maltiness, finishes with some hop bitterness. A little alcohol warmth. very well balanced.

M- It feels a little overcarbonated to me, but that is the only drawback. There is a chewiness to it that a RIS should have.

D- This is an all around great stout and one of my favorites. With this session, I had it with a slice of DQ ice cream cake. Oh man, that's good. This is a great dessert beer by itself, but it added to the overall enjoyment. Now that my local beer store is carying North Coast beers, I will keep this on hand.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.