Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
1.72/5  rDev -60%

DankNEggs, Aug 20, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -59.3%

WJStyles, Nov 11, 2012
1.85/5  rDev -57%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Usually I'm not a fan of Imperial Stouts, but this one looked cool and I was hooked into buying it for the looks and name. Pours a very dark color with a moderate sized tan head that dies off after a few minutes. Leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma was burned malts and coffee/chocolate and some sort of spiciness (odd for an imperial stout?). This is a big beer. The flavor was majorly strong. Way too strong for my taste buds to accept. Tastes of alcohol, burned malts, slight spiciness, and maybe a little fruitiness. Didn't care much for it.

clvand0, Sep 15, 2003
1.88/5  rDev -56.3%

I want to like this beer. Really, I do. I'm crazy about imperial stouts and I read the praise everyone has for this beer, but I can't help but think that I'm unlucky enough to keep purchasing skunked beer upon skunked beer.

Sharper than other imperial stouts, spicer and hoppier than I would prefer. Acrid taste, almost far too sharp to be palatable. Sample has drain pour written all over it, but I've bought this beer three different times during the past year with the same experience.

If ever I can find good things to say about Rasputin, I will joyfully update and upgrade my ratings. But until then, this is just nasty.

assurbanipaul, Sep 14, 2003
1.91/5  rDev -55.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.25

This review will be far from the norm, and doesn't reflect bad on the beer, but my own taste. I do respect this beer for its amazing scores, style, complexity... But with all that being said; I couldn't finish my glass. I tried this beer at the Yardouse with a friend. I hate bitterness, I like smooth, complex, deep, slight hops, lots of malt, type beers. Aboslutely way to bitter for me. I try and finish every beer, even if I don't like it, because I want to be sure I don't like it. I left half of a pint glass with this and the Yardhouse bartender gave me a refund. Not MY cup of tea.

Jdbateman83, Sep 01, 2013
1.92/5  rDev -55.3%

A_Duren, Wednesday at 02:15 AM
1.95/5  rDev -54.7%

First, I must disclose that this is my first Russian Imperial Stout and if this is typical of the style, I won't be having too many more! This brew has in it's favor an almost black color and a nice rich aroma, you can smell the alchohol. But, it's all about the taste! This tasted far too bitter and hoppy, and left a horrible aftertaste in the back of the mouth!
Again , I enjoy sweet stouts, like Murphy's, so make your judgements accordingly!!

CaptJackHarkness, Aug 19, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -54%

WOW! I got this beer as gift at Christmas. I really looked forward to trying this. It poured a beautiful dark color with lovely long lasting foam. I smelled it and it just had a wonderful dark chocolate bready smell. But then I tasted it! YIKES.
This had a horrible bitter taste. The aftertaste was just terrible. I could not drink this and enjoy it at all! I was greatly disappointed. Apparently I just do not have the same taste buds as others who reviewed this but It was just awful tasting to me and I have tried many stouts.

likethetaste, Jan 05, 2009

daveyk, Sep 20, 2014
2.08/5  rDev -51.6%

skaboss1210, Oct 23, 2014
2.13/5  rDev -50.5%

This beer poured an opaque black with a big tawny head, which didn't last too long.

The smell is powerful. Fruity and alcoholic with spicey notes lingering in the background. Juicey fruit gum, soaked in vodka. Different, but not complex.

Taste is unpalatable. The roasts are too sharp, too bitter; the alcohol is too overpowering.

I didn't finish my 12 oz bottle. My mouth reviled at the taste and I had a hangover before I consumed 8 oz.

pweis909, Jan 17, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -47.7%

treeslothguy, Jun 19, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -47.7%

Phil_H, Jan 03, 2014
2.35/5  rDev -45.3%

A - Black and Opaque. Similiar to other Russian imperial stouts. Fair carbonation and a very nice head.

S - Full bodied, complex. Notes of Barleywine, Malt, and licorice.

T - OR tastes of malt and barelywine. Unlike other Russian Imperials OR seems to lack deep mocha/coffee notes. It reminds me of a Russian Imperial version of Skullsplitter.

M - Thick.

D - I am not impressed with OR's drinkability. While I could easily drink multiple Samuel Smith Imperials, it seems that I can just not stomach OR.

All in all, fans of barleywine and malt with adore this brew. On the other hand, I dislike it.

SimplySinister, Sep 03, 2008
2.35/5  rDev -45.3%

Thought I would give this classic RIS my own review...

A - Pours as black as night with huge three finger mocha colored head.

S - Molasses, brown sugar, chocolate, cocoa, slight piney hops.

T - Starts out with sharp alcohol followed by bitter hops. Wow, this taste really throws me. I'm picking up very little chocolate or coffee. Malt seems to have abandoned the seen. Very hot, like drinking pure alcohol with no flavor.

M - Medium to thick. Oily and resinous.

O - This beer started off so well with the appearance and smell then just went way south with the taste. Not balanced at all. This may be my first drain pour and I can't believe it's on such a highly rated beer as this. I'm thinking I must have picked up a bad bottle or something. This beer is a hot, alcoholic mess. So disappointed. Glad I only picked up a single!

pigc, Nov 11, 2011

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

G- Riedel 6416/07

A- Black, showing black-olive green under direct light. Coarse foamy head.

S- Predominant burnt smells, a hint of roast. An annoying off-smell of a dirty ash tray and old cigarettes plagues this beer's aromatic presentation.

T- One dimensional, simple burnt flavor with strong ash tray impressions. A bit of old coffee grounds. No complexity to speak of. Flavors did not entice. Short, sharp, finish with only bitterness lingering.

M- Fizzy CO2 which throws this beer further off balance.

D- Physically drinkable, but this beer did not entice. No seduction here.

Serving- 12oz bottle.

WhiteOak, Jan 14, 2010
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.