Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 11,052 | Reviews: 3,572
4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance:
Very dark, almost black in color. Poured with about an inch of an almost caramel head. Very carbonated and has a very inviting presence to it. Retains the head for a matter of minutes.

Smell:
Very strong smell as soon as the bottle was opened and the beer was poured. When brought to the nose it is quite easy to smell the sweet aroma of the roasted/chocolate malts (smells as an almost balanced degree of chocolate malt v. roasted, with maybe a minor upper hand to roasted) with an almost citrous-type hoppiness to it.

Taste:
Very smooth in tasting, goes down easily despite the high ABV of the beer; not a typical strong beer in the high degree of its smoothness. Very strong taste of the malts followed by the citrus of the hops. Obviously that it was brewed in Russian Imperial manner with a focus on your darker roasted malt but it also has a pleasant balance of hops to counter the increased use of malt in the beer. Malts are very well balanced with the chocolate prevailing paired with the taste of roasted malt. Very true to Russian Stout fashion with a surprising degree of hops used to balance the beer.

Mouthfeel:
Feels like a very light, smooth beer. Easy on the palate but alive on your tongue with the malt/hop mix. Feels slightly over carbonated but with this beer the extra carbonation isn't overally out of place.

Drinkability:
This beer is considerably easy to drink. This is a beer best suited for sipping. Especially on a cold night, this would be the beer to sit with and enjoy the evening. Very easy to drink another one, and as it warms it does add to the taste to a slight degree, given the style of the beer. I would highly recommend.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle poured into glass. The best lacing I have ever seen. Completely surrounds the glass and retained throughout. The head is super thick and creamy, it is a brown color. The beer itself is black. The aroma knocks you back with strong roasted malt, burnt, coffee. The taste is fantastic from start to finish. Powerful roasted malt, coffee, molasses, caramel. Creamy and chewy in the mouth. Full bodied, complex but balanced sweetness and bitterness. One of the best beers I have ever had, and possibly the best Russian Imperial Stout.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Very black with a foamy, three finger head. Nice amount of lacing.

Smell- Chocolate with hints of roasted malt, wood and coffee.

Taste- Mix of chocolate, coffee, and burnt wood. I got a bit of alcohol taste in the first swallow but it completely disappeared after the second.

Mouthfeel- Creamy and smooth. Full bodied and perfectly carbonated.

Overall- I am very pleased with this one. I bought it on the recommendation of the store clerk and I am glad I did. Complex and robust but not overpowering. I am going to recommend this to all my stout drinking friends.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a treat this beer was. Poured an extremely deep brown that was almost black with a nice off-white head that didn’t hang around too long. Aroma was malty with notes of chocolate and coffee, but is nicely balanced with the hops. Mouthfeel is great and drinkability is pretty good for a beer of 9%abv. Great, great beer.

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%

Six of us attending a beer tasting that I hosted in my man cave pub gave this beer a score of 28.5 out of a possible 30 for and an average score of 4.75 It ranked 1st out of the 12 beers we tasted. The group of six were divided evenly, 3 that favored IPA's and 3 that favored Stouts. Comes in 4 pack of stubby bottles and can be found in most well stocked micro-brew stores.

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours black with a thumb wide tan head. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Despite my stuffy nose, I smell some beautiful roasted coffee and chocolate. First sip gets me just that: coffee with some bitter dark chocolate mixed in. Its quite wonderful. It tastes absolutely delicious! I only got a 4 pack of this, and its going to be gone by the end of the night. I'm definitely going to grab this again, and share it with some of my other stout loving friends.

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%

I don't know if I've been so pleasantly surprised by a dark....and I do mean DARK beer, ever in my life. It had that nifty rich head, which is a walnut color and it sat thick and tidy on top of the brew. The color was as black as night and very smooth feeling for something I was expecting to be heavy and syrupy. The powerful coffee opener was magical, there was NO BITTER BITE at the tail end. I was entranced. I broke out some organic white chocolate bark from Baltimore with almonds and blueberries it. The pairing was incredible. I don't get this excited about beers. I can't wait to carry it at the bar!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours a substantial but quickly receding head that covers a beautiful jet black stout.

S- Perfect stout spectrum smells of coffee and chocolate. Really nice and powerful.

T- Really mellow and smooth, this is a top notch stout. Taste matches the smell and it's a flavor knockout with easy drinkability.

M- Smooth and sticky goodness.

O- This is clearly upper echelon stout, glad I tried it and I'll be back for more.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into...a steel mug while camping. I have drunk it from the bottle, in a tulip glass, and from a water glass. It is consistent in that it stays one of my favorite beers, and probably the best stout I have ever drunk. Pours dark and rich. Very boozy, has a deep flavor of coffee, chocolate, and stout. Pretty much the king of stouts...try it for yourself.

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%

Pitch black beer. Nice tan, roasted-looking and toasty smelling head.

This beer is especially good during the winter, because it's heavy and warming. But it is oh so smooth. Flows around your mouth and over your tongue softly. Drink this beer when it is snowing outside and pair with a bowl of potato soup.

I love that I can go down to the store and get this beer almost anytime. It's beautiful and full of coffee and cigar flavors that you can savor.

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%

Wow! I sampled this from a jockey box on nitro at a beer festival. Talk about a glass of pure love! The head was thick, dense, and creamy. I loved the floor show of bubbles cascading down the glass. Roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, this tasted absolutely wonderful. Rich mouthfeel that hit every single taste bud in my mouth. It's good in the bottle, but if you get a chance get it on tap!

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%

Bought this at a local Canals while sampling new beers. I've heard good things so I figured I'd check it out.

This is beautiful looking beer, black with a thick tan head that gets very uneven at the top, rather bumpy. The head is strong, lasts a decent time, doesn't disappear like some beers. Grabs to the side of my pint glass.

Smell was actually rather weak, but a slight chocolate scent, very pleasant. The taste is rather brilliant, this is a very balanced beer with little alcohol taste, especially for a 9% beer. Slight chocolate flavor to it, much like the scent. Feels great in the mouth, slightly thick and lingers for a bit. This beer is highly drinkable, I could gladly enjoy two or more.

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%

Had this one on tap at Alex's Bar in Long Beach and damn did I have a great experience!

This thing poured like a monster. The bar tender poured some of the head off but it kept coming up and overflowed. I laughed. Thick brown fluffy head topping a pitch black brew.

Aroma was a roasted malts, unsweetened chocolate, a bit like coffee.

Taste was more of less in line with the aroma. Wonderfully complex flavor of the roasted chocolate malts with a nice bitterness at the end. Couldn't really tell if the bitterness was from the hops or more from the roasted smokey tasting malts. Either way, exceptional.

Thick, full-bodied mouthfeel like a soup. The flavor lingers on your palate for a good while after the taste is gone. Can't really detect the alcohol either.

If it wasn't for the high abv, I would be pounding this day and night. Absolutely amazing stout, perhaps my favorite at this moment.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a dark coffee color and, once in the glass, shows opaque black with a persistent and frothy beige head with nice lacing and variation in bubble size. Arresting aromas of coffee, chocolate, and baking spice; it trends a bit on the sweet side and maybe could use a little more roasted malt in the background but that's gilding the lily. The aromas carry through to the palate with more malt presence there, which gives some grip to this and prevents it from being flabby or cloying. Nice effervescence and somehow an easy to handle medium bodied mouth feel despite the intense aroma and flavor. Delicious.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Licorice, coffee and chocolate on the nose. Rich coffee, chocolate and dark fruit flavour. No hot alcohol flavours. Excellent

Poured into a New Belgium snifter

A - The darkest brown you have ever seen, tan decent head and minimul lacing

S - Nuts, coffee, toffee, oak, dirt , toasted malt and molasses

T - Wow. Explosion of coffee, nuts, oak and toasty toastedness

M - Medium heavy, carbonation and fluffy

D - Goes down like butta. One of the best and easiest drinking stouts ever

Final thought - I love this beer. Can't say anything bad about it

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

I'm sitting her drinking one right now and all I can says is, WOW. This is one of the best stouts I have ever had the pleasure of drinking outside of fresh from the tap at a brewpub. An incredibly flavorful mix of coffee, chocolate, hops and more. The smell is intoxicating and just begs for you to savor it. I'm very glad I found this brew and I will be getting more soon. Cheers to North Coast Brewing Co. for brewing an incredible stout. I definetely recommend anyone who enjoys stout to run out and try this now!

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottle pour into a 16 oz Carling pub glass (it was a gift from a n English pub, that i break out for special occasions) with an etched bottom.

Dark brown pour with a creamy brown head that was initially thick and stayed all the way down.

Smells of dark chocolate and coffee beans, blueberries, raisons. Tastes also added a touch of hops and had a smooth finish.

This is a great sipping beer. I enjoy a good stout but the Imperials may take pole position.

Fantastic!!

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

A creamy light mocha 1” head over a solid black body. Head all but recedes except for a ring around the edge which ensures a nice thin film of lace. Aromas of citric and floral hops mingle with sweet and roasted malts and a substantial vinous fruit quality. Flavors of sweet and slight tart vinous up front give way to a subtly sweet and bitter dark chocolate character. Espresso notes in the aftertaste. Waves of complexity! There is a moderate hop bitterness in the background providing just the right amount of balance. Full-bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel, with a trace of dryness in the finish and several lingering flavors.

This is one complex stout. It has such incredible depth, balance and complexity that drinking it is a bit of an adventure— and a pleasing one at that!

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

This offering from North Coast pours a onyx color leaving a tan head that is thick and luxurious. The aroma is strong hop citrus and earthy licorise feel followed by a sweet chocolate essence. The taste starts syrupy bitter with herbal hops that are abundant in this gem. The taste continues with marshmallow, chocolate, coffee roasted beans come though this brew. The finish is bitter espresso, but that caramel cooked sugar sweetness helps balance this big bitter beer. Overall this is an outstaning stout one that should be in my fridge year round. I paired this baby with a gourmet chocolate chip cookie and it was delicious.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

This beer poured a dark thick black with a thick and creamy brown head. It smelled strongly of coffee chocolate and somewhat of alcohol. The flavor here is intense. Dark roasted coffee and dark unsweetened chocolate dominate, there is also a toasted sweetness like roasted marshmallows that are almost burnt(the best kind). The finish is smooth with a touch of alcohol. This is currently my favorite stout

Damn fine brew.

Appearance: Pours jet black. Pretty sexy one finger head that almost looks like the beer is topped with a tan milkshake.

Smell: As soon as I popped open the bottle, before pouring, I was pleasantly assaulted by the aroma of chocolate, with a bit of coffee.

Taste: Chocolate dominates the first moments of the tasting, leaving a mildly bitter coffee aftertaste. The flavors are strong, this is definitely not a bland beer. Phenomenal.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not overly so. A noticeable amount of carbonation which leaves a nice tingling on the tongue.

Drinkabilitiy: This beer is very smooth, but filling. I imagine that after a few I wouldn't want to drink or eat anything for hours.

All in all, a terrific RIS. I'd beat a small child to get this on tap.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured on tap into a sniffer at Broken Barrel Tavern, where it's on tap all the time. Pours a pitch black with a thin tan head which dissipated quickly, left very little lacing.

Smell is strong, dark chocolate, coffee and some alcohol.

Taste is dark chocolate & malty with a thick and creamy mouthfeel

To me, this is a very drinkable beer, I could put down many of these. However the ABV doesn't make this a good session beer, which is why it took a small hit on the drinkability rating.

This is truly a great stout, one of the best IMHO...if you like a strong heavy stout.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance: Black beer, no light passes through. Big sudsy tan head sticks around, coats the glass.

Smell: Big and toasty malt, fresh roasted coffee beans, unsweetened chocolate, a light caramel sweetness, hops are present, a little green smelling, pine maybe. Great smelling beer.

Taste: Almost a milk chocolate like sweetness comes from the malt, acts as a sweetener to the coffee like character, tastes of irish cream, hint of orange citrus, stays this way until the very tail when a dose of hops hits the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Rich and full bodied, but smooth, not sticky, creamy and ever so drinkable. Carbonation is light and cleansing.

Drinkability: One of the most drinkable Russian Imperials, delicious and sweet, but not sticky or heavy. If anything, not as complex as some, but definitely more approachable.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

I was convinced that Stone made the best Russian Imperial until I opened a bottle of Old Rasputin this evening!

WOW....off the charts Russian Stout! Amazing aromas of coffee and chocolate. Initial taste is coffee with the chocolate coming through after. I can almost taste the heavy cream in the coffee!!

Mouthfeel is extra smooth and pleasant. 9% alcohol is very well hidden.

Gentlemen, if you're looking to get your lady into the word of fine beer....this is a great way to start. pour her a little in a small wine glass and let her sip it. She'll be hooked!!!

I rate this one in my current top 10 beers! AMAZING!!! So good, I will not buy another bottle of Stone!

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.