1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,361 | Reviews: 3,288 | Show All Ratings:
MaddenDalyBrokaw

4.94/5  rDev +14.9%

MY FAVORITEST BEER EVER!

Darker than night. Rich malty aromas. On the palate we begin with moderately placed roasted barley tones, then comes the warm hops with chocolate and coffee, followed by the even warmer alcohol. Lingering roasted barley. A real beast of a beer.

02-24-2014 01:33:16 | More by MaddenDalyBrokaw
Dmann

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

This has to be the most easy to drink Imperial Stout I've ever had. It poured an almost opaque black with a awesome brown head that was so big I had to wait a few minutes for it to die down. The smell was of dark chocolate and hops. The taste was just about the same as the smell, with a perfect mix of coffee flavors in there. The thing I loved about this brew is that it was powerful but not overpowering. I could sit back and enjoy the whole 4 pack in one sitting, even though they are 8.9% a piece! Great beer!

12-20-2003 09:43:02 | More by Dmann
bort11

Missouri

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

I love the label design on this bottle. That crazy mad monk staring out from a smoky haze, I think that alone does a lot for the near-legendary status of this stout.

A- Poured into an Imperial pint glass. Pefectly black in the center. Dark reddish tints on the edges. Thick and creamy tan head, about a finger high from my pour. It receeds a little fast for me, but maintians a tight lace which makes up for it.

S- Espresso aromas POP! I can smell that from an arms length. Chocolate notes linger and some spices hint around the edges.

T- Excellent follow through from the smell. Espresso, chocalate, some maltiness, finishes with some hop bitterness. A little alcohol warmth. very well balanced.

M- It feels a little overcarbonated to me, but that is the only drawback. There is a chewiness to it that a RIS should have.

D- This is an all around great stout and one of my favorites. With this session, I had it with a slice of DQ ice cream cake. Oh man, that's good. This is a great dessert beer by itself, but it added to the overall enjoyment. Now that my local beer store is carying North Coast beers, I will keep this on hand.

04-20-2006 12:40:48 | More by bort11
deapokid

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

From my first glance into the dark and imposing eyes of Rasputin on the label of this majestic imperial stout, I knew I was in for one hell of a ride.

Lucky for me, I got a four-pack of it for Christmas and almost cried tears of joy when I ripped it from the packaging.

From tip of the bottle to the bottom of the glass, Old Rasputin pours a rich dark-brown/molasses-y coloring that resembles coffee with a light dose of cream. Its rich brown head smells of caramel and nuts and it offers up a profoundly robust flavor that smacks of classic stout taste with a nice punch of alcohol to round it out.

This little number was no slouch and it lived up to all of my expectations. It's powerful, flavorful and delightfully nuanced: it's definitely become an all-time favorite and one most stouts should aspire to be more like.

01-14-2008 23:59:09 | More by deapokid
seh410

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: Black with a bubbly mocha colored head. The head looks frothy and creamy. Not light coming through at all.

Aroma: Coffee, roasted caramelly malts, chocolate

Taste/Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Starts heavy on the coffee and then finishes with a sweet and roasted malty caramel with notes of chocolate kind of woven through the whole thing

Notes: Awesome, delicious beer. Extremely drinkable.

07-28-2010 00:40:29 | More by seh410
godless1one

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

appearance - black as night, brown uneven head

smell - molasses, chocolate, anise, coffee, and roasted malt

taste - sweet first, mixed with the anise and coffee, a drink is followed by a light bitter aftertaste which is colored by anise and chocolate primarily

mouthfeel - thick, smooth, and creamy, decent carbonation, pleasantly heavy

drinkability - I could drink these every day, but they are particularly enjoyable in the cold because of the pleasant warmth that spreads through your body as you drink (thar be alcohol!)

To date this is my favorite brew. I've yet to find a single beer/ale which compares in terms of flavor and overall awesomeness. Although this winter I will be trying the Abyss, so Rasputin's top seat my be in danger.

09-04-2010 08:45:10 | More by godless1one
Bouleboubier

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

My first sampling of this coincided with my chance discovery of Monk's Cafe in Philly. At the time (2003-2004), I was living in Center City, piss poor, and longing for good beer. One fine day, riding my bike around in explorer mode, I found myself coming up upon the unmistakable awning and neon sign for said cafe - got little money, but let's do it. I'm desperate! - This may have been the very first time in my life I had been presented with a beer menu, the content of which I wasn't familiar with 90-95% of. Looking to cheaper and more interesting sounding beers, I ordered one Rasputin to go (at about $7 or $9, if I remember right). So off I go on my bike back up 16th st to my studio apt, giddy with delight or delightfully giddy. Get home - and I can't recall actually pouring it - and I find myself eying up one intimidating pint of darkness. The rest is...you know.

Old Rasputin will make a man out of you (Rip Van Winkle, for one). Always pours with an explosive, swelling head, big and busty, and the perfect shade of ash and gravel. Scummy, sparkling lacing. The liquid is impenetrably black - a charred void. Black death. The aroma hits you instantaneously, even from a foot or more away. More of a Baltic Porter scent than a bitter, dry stout. What I get is dark chocolate cake dipped in dark chocolate, mellow espresso, grain just lightly singed, and wafting among these scents, a faint grassy/piney hop presence. Oh, and a clean, vodka-like alcohol aroma, more and more as it warms. Flavor-wise, I'm not sure what you can improve upon, considering the style and imagery conjured up by the namesake of the beer. Cold and black. A sultry bitterness - by way of hops, dark chocolate, and dark malt. Velvety smooth feel and vague molasses character, with surprisingly potent fruitiness and almost citrus hop flavors as it warms. While this doesn't need to warm up much to express its fabulous complexities, the alcohol makes itself quite apparent in the aftertaste and feel past a certain degree. Once in awhile, this can be somewhat off-putting. For the most part, you really want this though. Carbonation, at its levels, is ideal and maintains excitement on the tongue - never any cloying sweetness or heavy feeling. That, and the warm prick of ethyl, round out an expertly crafted brew. So difficult to put this into perspective...when you've had 2 or 3.

11-19-2010 05:31:47 | More by Bouleboubier
Vancoubeer

Washington

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

Man this beer is what a Russian Imperial stout should be. Taste outstanding. looks dark as night. Feels the way it should and it smells similar to dark coffee / dark chocolate. The flavor is full on roasted goodness. Why pass this one up? Just get it.

02-11-2012 05:51:52 | More by Vancoubeer
hitter114

Colorado

Poured from bottle into Tulip
A: Very dark, not quite black but 95% of the way there
S: Smells amazing of simple roasted malts and great hop profile for the nose. Got a chocolate smoke smell going
T: Just as good as it smells. Burns just a little, but the perfect amount. Hops and malts balance it out brilliantly
M: Sharp and bitty as expected. Could be slightly smoother but for 9%, what do you expect?

Overall: One of my favorite Russian Imperial I have had. Great mix of hops, malt, roasty, chocolate/barbecue smoke taste. Buy this beer if you like beer.

05-16-2012 03:16:34 | More by hitter114
Eeroomnhoj

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

My friend gave me a few bottles of beer for Christmas and I started with the darkest first. Great tasting beer, one I would have again and again, just not on the same day. Maybe some people are different but one is enough for me. It poured jet black and had a fairly thick head. It tasted real heavy on the first sip so I knew I was in for a treat. The beer did leave a taste in my mouth but so does a good cigar. Definitely a winter sitting by the fire beer.

12-30-2012 01:18:46 | More by Eeroomnhoj
artdob

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

This is the stuff. My desert island brewski. The one that sent me into a panic nearly 14 years ago when I first stumbled on this brew from a then unknown micro brewery when I was living outside of Columbus Ohio. I was immediately taken in by this beer and quickly, shuddered to think, oh my, what if this brewery doesn't make it? And that thought sent me exploring the world of home brewing to see if I could personally brew something that came close to this, in the event, heaven forbid, that Old Rasputin would cease to be.

The good news is that I was able to come close enough so I feel prepared if that horrible day ever comes. But even better news, I haven't had to resort to that workaround. Old Rasputin lives!

Pours an exotic black with a tan head that tops the beer nicely before evolving into a layer of a tan sudsy blanket that drapes this brew. Oh yes, and I always drink this one at cellar temperature, never chilled, in a snifter as well.

Nose is spectacular, inviting with notes of chocolate cake, licorice, and roasty espresso.

On the palate, this is like a slice of liquid black forest torte, nicely balanced with roasty and sweet tones.

Mouthfeel is nice with very light carbonation. Wouldn't want any more for this style. A nice warmer this one.

Overall, nothing else but a top score for my personal all time favorite beer. If there were a beer hall of fame, this would be my inductee. Rasputin lives.

Sto lat North Coast (get yer Polish dictionary handy here).

02-13-2013 04:58:43 | More by artdob
zerocrane

Oklahoma

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into snifter from 12 oz bottle.

A - Black with a decent to undersized tan head that dissipated rather quickly

S - Get a lot of the -OH for sure with a strong roasty character. If I was going to try to find one flaw with this brew, it would be the nose.

T - Again the -OH comes in really strong at the end. In the meantime there is a roasty-delicousness to this beer that the alcohol kind of washes away in a nice finish.

M - Light mouthfeel for how big this beer is. It's not chewy, which I love.

O - Can't beat this for a year-round shelf stout.

02-09-2014 21:36:41 | More by zerocrane
mweso2000

Georgia

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Old Rasputin is one of my favorite beers. It pours a dark black with a one finger tan head that settles into a ring of lace. Aromas of chocolate, coffee malt a slight hint of licorice, and a little bit of fruitiness. This beer is a full frontal assault on the taste buds and successfully accomplishes the mission. The taste is full of roasted malt, a bit of mocha sweetness with a slight amount of hop bitterness at the end. Full bodied flavor with medium carbonation. Watch out the 9% abv will sneak up and hit you in the ass! This beer is not for everyone. It has very strong and bold flavors. If you are a stout fan, I have yet to find a better example of a beer in this class and this is a MUST try.

02-14-2011 00:26:58 | More by mweso2000
mikeborglum

Missouri

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Very dark, black as night; a nice brown rocky head with good retention. Highly roasted malt aromas and alcoholic to the nose. Smooth, potent and espresso like with a high burnt malt and hop bitterness that finishes on the sweet side to say the least. Very complex, and true to its style. I love this beer and always enjoy it at the end of hard day's night!

04-29-2011 02:23:43 | More by mikeborglum
spitInTheOcean

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

jet black. opaque. with a big dark brown head.

smells incredible. huge aroma all over the board with a little of everything. bitter roasted malts, caramel, coffee, dark chocolate, hops and esters such as raisin. but mostly a very complex malt aroma.

very malty flavor. roasted malt bitterness. coffee, toffee. flavor of dark roasted malts lingers a long time. up front very sweet but finishes very bitter from the malts. very warming.

this is a big beer with a crisp finish, but the crisp finish seems to do nothing to cleanse the palate. velvety, and rich.

overall i dont have a lot to add. this beer is what i will be dreaming of tonight. i think that old rasputin should outshine rasputin himself in the history books.

07-26-2011 05:18:34 | More by spitInTheOcean
TrapFan11

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Just finished my second 12 oz bottle of this and DAMN is that good. Most of my experience with beer has been with Belgian strong Ales, in particular all of the Trappist beers along with similar Belgian brands and American beers in the Belgian style. My two favorite beers are Rochefort 10 and St Bernardus 12. In recent years I've been trying different Stouts and Porters and, although I don't have tremendous experience with them yet, I'm quickly discovering the world of flavors out there that go beyond the various dark fruits and assorted sugars that accompany your typical Dubbles, Triples and Quadruples.

A fellow shopper at the market recommended Old Rasputin Imperial Stout to me and I've been blown away by how something so roasted and bitter can at the same time be sweet and smooth. From the get go this beer is thick, viscous, and oily, not that that's to it's detriment. In fact the wonderful chewiness just hooks you into discovering the many wonderful facets of the beer. Immediately you taste the full intensity of the coffee, toffee, roasted malts and baker's chocolate it has. There's a burnt quality to the malt that, along with providing a pleasant bitterness, also includes the required sweetness that is reminiscent of a burnt s'mores marshmallow rather than anything unpleasant. Then there's the coffee flavor. I tend to drink really dark, black coffee and this beer has loads of that toasty, smokey and bitter flavor that I cherish. Finally there's the great Christmas toffee and dark chocolate flavors that blend seamlessly with the sweetness and bitterness of the other flavors and tie everything together nicely.

Also quite remarkable it this beer's head, which is truly like a silky pillow. I can easily say that the foam tasted and felt in my mouth like a liquid marshmallow. I've never had a beer whose head was that silky, smooth, and sweet. I couldn't believe it was beer foam.

In the short amount of time I've been exploring Imperial Stouts I can easily say that this the best I've come across so far. I'm happy to give it my highest recommendation.

10-03-2011 21:24:38 | More by TrapFan11
WalterHeisenberg

New Mexico

4.98/5  rDev +15.8%

Bottle aggressive pour into pint glass
A: dark black oil like with coffe colored head good lacing/ retention looks fantastic!
S: coffe dark chocolate slight alcohol burnt caramel vanilla smells great
T: roasty toasty malty up front chocolate coffe cream then finishes hoppy bitter.Wow !
M: creamy yet not quite as thick as I expected silky smooth
O: yeah wow. I'm converted. this is no doubt the best beer I've ever had. And the reviews say this is above average. What's top shelf taste like?? I'm in for life with the RIS.

04-11-2013 04:20:20 | More by WalterHeisenberg
gwfrankpsu

This is a wonderful beer, the mouth is flooded with so much flavor that you almost trip off line. This is great on a winters night by a soft fire, some fine chocolate and the one you love. One special brew, a true masterpiece.

09-28-2001 10:07:15 | More by gwfrankpsu
Jordan

Pitch black, thick dark tan head. Extremely rich roasted malt and alchohal aromatics. Thick roasted malts, burnt chocolate, coffee flavors penetrate deeply on the palate. Creamy and rich mouthfeel. Complex and complete. Probably should give a 2 or 3 for drinkability because it's so strong, but like Stone's Arrogant Bastard, I refuse. This beer is one of a kind.

01-16-2002 05:24:56 | More by Jordan
RushLimbmalt

Pours a very dark, almost reddish black and has a thin tan head that left quickly and leaves sporadic lace on my glass. It reeks of burnt malt, raisins and coffee. It smell like one terrific stout on steroids AKA a Imperial Stout. The flavor is very robust and is a good mix of dark malts and heavy hopping. Although a bit low on the alcohol for the style, this beer still packs a punch. That does not detract from this beers drinkability, because it is too good to pass up.

11-19-2004 08:03:00 | More by RushLimbmalt
Tupperwolf

Washington

Pours from a 12oz bottle into my nonic glass with a HUGE HEAD. Be super careful on the pour because this thing just wants to rise right out of the glass. Piercing black-hole darkness reveals just a tinge of ruby when held up to the light; It actually looks somewhat clear, just incredibly black. So much whipped-cream dark tan head. Thin but super persistent lacing rings mark each and every swallow. OMG. A five if there ever was one.

Huge! huge bursting sweet chocolatey coffee malts, so much sexy, sexy stout flavor. If I try hard I might be able to pick out some hops... But it might be my imagination. This beer completely scorches my sense of smell. I have to give it a good minute of rest before going in for another whiff, which immediately burns up my scent receptors with coffee, and chocolate, and more coffee, and more chocolate. A little bit of metallic twinge.

Okay, you're kidding me, right? I think North Coast has bottled a mocha chocolate milkshake and called it beer. The taste is so intense, so strong and bittersweet with coffee and chocolate, toffee, roasted nuts. It tempts me to guzzle, and I give in for a few swallows. Wow, wow, wow. Awesome slow and savory or quick and greedy.

Mouthfeel... Like I said... milkshake. Thick, lustrous, creamy, silky. Not chewy, but full, full, swirling, frothy, creamy. Swallowing almost completely clears the palate, which is welcome - there's a lingering, almost (if I may be crude) phlegmlike sensation of sweet, delicious flavors that hangs out on the very back of the tongue and coats the throat. Soooo good. Where the heck is the alcohol? I guess it must be in my belly!

Buy, beg, panhandle, or steal for this beer. Buy out the whole shelves. I want to give it fives across the board. Do I dare? Do I dare? I dare! Utterly one of the best beers I have ever, ever had in my life. A life-changing experience!

01-11-2006 07:31:36 | More by Tupperwolf
budgood1

pours out an opaque dark brown colour...beautiful. ruby tinted tan head appears and sticks frothfully. lots of lace. aroma of fuitcake and cherries...monster cookies, rum, port wine, etc. taste is oh so tasty and amazing with its layered toffee and caramel goodness and with its fig flavoured rum soaked fruit cake nuances. enough dark roasted features to satisfy. then comes the amazingly well balanced hoppiness...seems so integrated but defined. this has a lot of norhtwest hop character...but so definitely more baltic porter than imperial stout. this ranks right up there with the all time faves of style and celebrity. i can see why i was blown away when first reviewing this beer years ago...it still boggles the mind. full bodied, silky mouthfeel, and an alcohol warmth in the finish. damn tasty. drinkability rocks. i love it.

01-16-2007 04:22:28 | More by budgood1
horshack7

Appearance: Presentation a short twelve ounce bottle with a menacing scetching of Rasputin very neat. Pours dark like Darth Mauls heart from Star Wars. Pours a tan very chunky three fingers of head nice head rentention.

Aromas: Large amounts of very dark roasted coffee or espresso. The malts in this pint of darkness are roasted something dark wow. The chocolate notes are incredible.

Taste: The coffee chocolate and espresso flavors stand out absolutely perfectly. The dark roasted malts roam all around the palate nice and slowly. The mouthfeel is beyond creamy it's like silk remarkably smooth and smooth is an understatement.

Notes: My fellow Beer Advocates this Russian Imperial stout is the Czar of Russian Imperial stouts. Tasting this masterpeice was like an adreniline rush. Na zdorovje

06-25-2007 01:33:08 | More by horshack7
Trueant1

Pours a dark brown/black. Has a frothy 3 finger dark tan head that goes down quickly leaving rings and chunks on the glass. I Swirled this one around at least 20 times to see the amazing lacing paterns.

Smells of milk chocolate, dark fruits, alcohol, and cherries with a lot of dark roasted/smokey malts. This smells heavenly.

Tates better than the perfect 5 score I gave it. BItter, chocolate, coffie, sweet...all that I expect from a ris. The difference of this one compared to other ris is is is SO easy to conusme. Smooth.

The mouthfeel is silky smooth. Light carbonation. Bitter sweet aftertaste that has alcohol reveled along side.

Not the most complex RIS, howerver, one of the best I have ever had. This is now In my top 5 list.

A masterpiece!

10-20-2007 01:07:05 | More by Trueant1
r00tarded

This beer is my closer any time I'm out and its on tap.

You can have a line up of beers and if you end your evening with this beer, you've done well for yourself. This beer is the equivalent of a fresh from the oven molten chocolate cake, home made vanilla ice cream and an espresso all at once.

Dark, rich, mellow, smooth, flavorful, not overpowering but yet full of flavor... when it's placed in front of you take your time appreciating it in its glory.

11-09-2007 20:56:13 | More by r00tarded
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.