Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Reviews: 3,622 | Ratings: 11,789
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:
Deep and dark pitch black with a creamy tan head. Good head retention and nice belgian lace. Honestly, I dont hold appearance ins that high of regards, but I was pretty impressed.

Smell:
Coffee overpowering coffee with maybe some liquorice and chocolates. Maybe maybe a hop or a herb somewhere but very subtle

Taste:
Unbelieveable. Wow. In two words: Best Ever. I was totally taken aback by the taste. It was rich and silky but not to the point where it no longer tasted like beer. It was a good coffee taste which was enjoyable (says a lot since I dont like coffee). The beer is heavy but not too heavy, notes of alcohol can be detected, but not to much. There is a lingering aftertaste of chocolate and coffee. Tremendous.

Mouthfeel:
Thick and mildy creamy. Feels a little heavy.

Drinkability:
After the first sip you want more. It is pretty heavy and good to savor. There is a feel of alcohol which does kind of make it less drinkable but the taste is so amazingly good and smooth that it is easily overlooked.

Easily one of my top three beers of all time. Hands down the best Imperial Stout I have ever had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a black ruby color with a creamy tan colored head that fades into a nice full lace. Nose is sweet roasted malts and grains, dark fruit, licorice, and some noticeable alcohol. A thick and full-bodied brew with tastes of roasted malts, burnt coffee, sweet raisins, and bitter dark chocolate. Sweet aftertaste seems to last forever (or at least until the next sip). A very nice brew, especially in the wintertime.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Old Rasputin has a wonderful, thick, brown head and a rich, deep, black color. It has a strong, thick and creamy malt flavor that is both sweet and bitter, with a mild roasted/burnt aftertaste and a roasty aroma. This imperial stout has a full-bodied consistency with an alcoholic warmth that will bring a smile to your face and a nice warm glow to your cheeks on a cold winter night. It finishes with a big hop bitterness that lingers. Brussels lace stays on the sides of the glass right to the bottom. Old Rasputin is an excellent example of the imperial stout style.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Fantastic imperial stout. Smooth and creamy, complex palate, and well-balanced enough to keep the 8% ABV from being overwhelming. Arguably the best stout I've had this year.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Another fine beer unavailable in Iowa. GRRRR!!! Thank god for Beer advocate leading me the right way. I saw this in Wisconsin. Thought I would try it. What a treasure!!.

Pours absolutely dark. Could not get any light from a 75 watt bulb to shine through. Nice tan head. The head stays with nice lace. Nose is exceptional. Roasted malt, smoke, chocolate. The taste and mouthfeel are the real appeal here. This is creamy at first with a dark chocolate and dark caramel. The hop bitterness finish is really nice. This is a very complex beer. The creamy start and hoppy somewhat dry finish is a real paradox. The alchohol is hidden well.

As time goes by I like stouts more and more and this is one of the best.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance:
Very dark, almost black in color. Poured with about an inch of an almost caramel head. Very carbonated and has a very inviting presence to it. Retains the head for a matter of minutes.

Smell:
Very strong smell as soon as the bottle was opened and the beer was poured. When brought to the nose it is quite easy to smell the sweet aroma of the roasted/chocolate malts (smells as an almost balanced degree of chocolate malt v. roasted, with maybe a minor upper hand to roasted) with an almost citrous-type hoppiness to it.

Taste:
Very smooth in tasting, goes down easily despite the high ABV of the beer; not a typical strong beer in the high degree of its smoothness. Very strong taste of the malts followed by the citrus of the hops. Obviously that it was brewed in Russian Imperial manner with a focus on your darker roasted malt but it also has a pleasant balance of hops to counter the increased use of malt in the beer. Malts are very well balanced with the chocolate prevailing paired with the taste of roasted malt. Very true to Russian Stout fashion with a surprising degree of hops used to balance the beer.

Mouthfeel:
Feels like a very light, smooth beer. Easy on the palate but alive on your tongue with the malt/hop mix. Feels slightly over carbonated but with this beer the extra carbonation isn't overally out of place.

Drinkability:
This beer is considerably easy to drink. This is a beer best suited for sipping. Especially on a cold night, this would be the beer to sit with and enjoy the evening. Very easy to drink another one, and as it warms it does add to the taste to a slight degree, given the style of the beer. I would highly recommend.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottle poured into glass. The best lacing I have ever seen. Completely surrounds the glass and retained throughout. The head is super thick and creamy, it is a brown color. The beer itself is black. The aroma knocks you back with strong roasted malt, burnt, coffee. The taste is fantastic from start to finish. Powerful roasted malt, coffee, molasses, caramel. Creamy and chewy in the mouth. Full bodied, complex but balanced sweetness and bitterness. One of the best beers I have ever had, and possibly the best Russian Imperial Stout.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Very black with a foamy, three finger head. Nice amount of lacing.

Smell- Chocolate with hints of roasted malt, wood and coffee.

Taste- Mix of chocolate, coffee, and burnt wood. I got a bit of alcohol taste in the first swallow but it completely disappeared after the second.

Mouthfeel- Creamy and smooth. Full bodied and perfectly carbonated.

Overall- I am very pleased with this one. I bought it on the recommendation of the store clerk and I am glad I did. Complex and robust but not overpowering. I am going to recommend this to all my stout drinking friends.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a treat this beer was. Poured an extremely deep brown that was almost black with a nice off-white head that didn’t hang around too long. Aroma was malty with notes of chocolate and coffee, but is nicely balanced with the hops. Mouthfeel is great and drinkability is pretty good for a beer of 9%abv. Great, great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

actually had this beer many times but had it again and sure enough it is still that same great beer it always was

don't remember it pouring so thick like this it almost looked like motor oil when it came out like a viscous maple syrup or something

bit wow I can't believe that flavor it isso well balanced and all there for such a big beer this has to be considered one of the best Russian imperial stouts

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Six of us attending a beer tasting that I hosted in my man cave pub gave this beer a score of 28.5 out of a possible 30 for and an average score of 4.75 It ranked 1st out of the 12 beers we tasted. The group of six were divided evenly, 3 that favored IPA's and 3 that favored Stouts. Comes in 4 pack of stubby bottles and can be found in most well stocked micro-brew stores.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Pours black with a thumb wide tan head. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Despite my stuffy nose, I smell some beautiful roasted coffee and chocolate. First sip gets me just that: coffee with some bitter dark chocolate mixed in. Its quite wonderful. It tastes absolutely delicious! I only got a 4 pack of this, and its going to be gone by the end of the night. I'm definitely going to grab this again, and share it with some of my other stout loving friends.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

I don't know if I've been so pleasantly surprised by a dark....and I do mean DARK beer, ever in my life. It had that nifty rich head, which is a walnut color and it sat thick and tidy on top of the brew. The color was as black as night and very smooth feeling for something I was expecting to be heavy and syrupy. The powerful coffee opener was magical, there was NO BITTER BITE at the tail end. I was entranced. I broke out some organic white chocolate bark from Baltimore with almonds and blueberries it. The pairing was incredible. I don't get this excited about beers. I can't wait to carry it at the bar!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours a substantial but quickly receding head that covers a beautiful jet black stout.

S- Perfect stout spectrum smells of coffee and chocolate. Really nice and powerful.

T- Really mellow and smooth, this is a top notch stout. Taste matches the smell and it's a flavor knockout with easy drinkability.

M- Smooth and sticky goodness.

O- This is clearly upper echelon stout, glad I tried it and I'll be back for more.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: A 60w bulb does not penetrate it. Haven't looked at it under sunlight, but I assume it's pretty dark. Thick and creamy mocha-colored head that sticks to the sides of the glass.
Smell: Big alcohol nose. Coffee, burnt sugar? It's better than it sounds.
Taste: LOTS of things here. Nuts, toffee, brown sugar/caramel, straight cocoa/dark chocolate. These are some toasty malts! Surprisingly, no coffee flavor despite the smell. Not much for hops, and if they are there, I lose them in the bitterness of the cocoa flavor.
Feel: Full-bodied mouthfeel; one of the thicker stouts I've tried. Surprisingly clean finish, but with a lingering bitterness. Much less alcoholic than different styles at similar abv.
Overall: Absolutely superb beer. Complex, bold, and pretty cheap too!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into...a steel mug while camping. I have drunk it from the bottle, in a tulip glass, and from a water glass. It is consistent in that it stays one of my favorite beers, and probably the best stout I have ever drunk. Pours dark and rich. Very boozy, has a deep flavor of coffee, chocolate, and stout. Pretty much the king of stouts...try it for yourself.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Pitch black beer. Nice tan, roasted-looking and toasty smelling head.

This beer is especially good during the winter, because it's heavy and warming. But it is oh so smooth. Flows around your mouth and over your tongue softly. Drink this beer when it is snowing outside and pair with a bowl of potato soup.

I love that I can go down to the store and get this beer almost anytime. It's beautiful and full of coffee and cigar flavors that you can savor.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Wow! I sampled this from a jockey box on nitro at a beer festival. Talk about a glass of pure love! The head was thick, dense, and creamy. I loved the floor show of bubbles cascading down the glass. Roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, this tasted absolutely wonderful. Rich mouthfeel that hit every single taste bud in my mouth. It's good in the bottle, but if you get a chance get it on tap!

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Bought this at a local Canals while sampling new beers. I've heard good things so I figured I'd check it out.

This is beautiful looking beer, black with a thick tan head that gets very uneven at the top, rather bumpy. The head is strong, lasts a decent time, doesn't disappear like some beers. Grabs to the side of my pint glass.

Smell was actually rather weak, but a slight chocolate scent, very pleasant. The taste is rather brilliant, this is a very balanced beer with little alcohol taste, especially for a 9% beer. Slight chocolate flavor to it, much like the scent. Feels great in the mouth, slightly thick and lingers for a bit. This beer is highly drinkable, I could gladly enjoy two or more.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Had this one on tap at Alex's Bar in Long Beach and damn did I have a great experience!

This thing poured like a monster. The bar tender poured some of the head off but it kept coming up and overflowed. I laughed. Thick brown fluffy head topping a pitch black brew.

Aroma was a roasted malts, unsweetened chocolate, a bit like coffee.

Taste was more of less in line with the aroma. Wonderfully complex flavor of the roasted chocolate malts with a nice bitterness at the end. Couldn't really tell if the bitterness was from the hops or more from the roasted smokey tasting malts. Either way, exceptional.

Thick, full-bodied mouthfeel like a soup. The flavor lingers on your palate for a good while after the taste is gone. Can't really detect the alcohol either.

If it wasn't for the high abv, I would be pounding this day and night. Absolutely amazing stout, perhaps my favorite at this moment.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a dark coffee color and, once in the glass, shows opaque black with a persistent and frothy beige head with nice lacing and variation in bubble size. Arresting aromas of coffee, chocolate, and baking spice; it trends a bit on the sweet side and maybe could use a little more roasted malt in the background but that's gilding the lily. The aromas carry through to the palate with more malt presence there, which gives some grip to this and prevents it from being flabby or cloying. Nice effervescence and somehow an easy to handle medium bodied mouth feel despite the intense aroma and flavor. Delicious.

Poured into a New Belgium snifter

A - The darkest brown you have ever seen, tan decent head and minimul lacing

S - Nuts, coffee, toffee, oak, dirt , toasted malt and molasses

T - Wow. Explosion of coffee, nuts, oak and toasty toastedness

M - Medium heavy, carbonation and fluffy

D - Goes down like butta. One of the best and easiest drinking stouts ever

Final thought - I love this beer. Can't say anything bad about it

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

I'm sitting her drinking one right now and all I can says is, WOW. This is one of the best stouts I have ever had the pleasure of drinking outside of fresh from the tap at a brewpub. An incredibly flavorful mix of coffee, chocolate, hops and more. The smell is intoxicating and just begs for you to savor it. I'm very glad I found this brew and I will be getting more soon. Cheers to North Coast Brewing Co. for brewing an incredible stout. I definetely recommend anyone who enjoys stout to run out and try this now!

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle pour into a 16 oz Carling pub glass (it was a gift from a n English pub, that i break out for special occasions) with an etched bottom.

Dark brown pour with a creamy brown head that was initially thick and stayed all the way down.

Smells of dark chocolate and coffee beans, blueberries, raisons. Tastes also added a touch of hops and had a smooth finish.

This is a great sipping beer. I enjoy a good stout but the Imperials may take pole position.

Fantastic!!

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A creamy light mocha 1” head over a solid black body. Head all but recedes except for a ring around the edge which ensures a nice thin film of lace. Aromas of citric and floral hops mingle with sweet and roasted malts and a substantial vinous fruit quality. Flavors of sweet and slight tart vinous up front give way to a subtly sweet and bitter dark chocolate character. Espresso notes in the aftertaste. Waves of complexity! There is a moderate hop bitterness in the background providing just the right amount of balance. Full-bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel, with a trace of dryness in the finish and several lingering flavors.

This is one complex stout. It has such incredible depth, balance and complexity that drinking it is a bit of an adventure— and a pleasing one at that!

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.