Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
2.35/5  rDev -45.3%

Thought I would give this classic RIS my own review...

A - Pours as black as night with huge three finger mocha colored head.

S - Molasses, brown sugar, chocolate, cocoa, slight piney hops.

T - Starts out with sharp alcohol followed by bitter hops. Wow, this taste really throws me. I'm picking up very little chocolate or coffee. Malt seems to have abandoned the seen. Very hot, like drinking pure alcohol with no flavor.

M - Medium to thick. Oily and resinous.

O - This beer started off so well with the appearance and smell then just went way south with the taste. Not balanced at all. This may be my first drain pour and I can't believe it's on such a highly rated beer as this. I'm thinking I must have picked up a bad bottle or something. This beer is a hot, alcoholic mess. So disappointed. Glad I only picked up a single!

Reviewed 8/5/2008 (bottle):

Pours an inky black colored body, with a gray brown head, with some good lacing but not very lasting. Aroma has some alcohol and some dark malts, nuttiness. Malty taste and some dustiness. Somewhat hot. Some dark chocolate. Too much for me.

2.4/5  rDev -44.2%

Never thought I'd say this, but this beer was too highly hopped for me. Nice dark espresso color and low carbonation, smelled of caramel malt, but could barely taste it. I love highly hopped beers (Stone's Ruination is a favorite) but not so much with the stouts and this could have been so much more if the malt could come forward a little.

2.4/5  rDev -44.2%

I had this on a nitro tap at Sunset Grill. The next day I also had a bottle and found that I liked the bottle better. The nitro made the beer smoother, but I don't think that's what makes the beer. The carbonation of the bottle matched with the strong flavors in this beer while the nitro felt like it was trying to mellow a big beer.

Overall I'm not a big fan of Rasputin. It seems to be especially harsh for it's alcohol content. I also find that after about 2/3 of the way through the beer I wish I was done. The flavor profile isn't complex enough to carry me through.

2.5/5  rDev -41.9%

Poured into a tumbler in late 2013.

A: Opaque black. Motor oil. 2 finger head.

S: Coffee, bitterness.

T: Sweet chocolate, roasty malt, bitterness on the back end.

O: This was ok at first, but then the bitterness took over and I wasn't enjoying it. There was a little bit of alcohol burn in the nostrils. I ended up drain pouring it because of the bitterness.

2.52/5  rDev -41.4%

2.58/5  rDev -40%

Poured a very dark brown, 1 finger of foam which dissapated quickly.

The aroma was malty and overwhelmed by the spicy grapefruity smell of cascade hops. This overwhelmed the malt and heavy fruits I expect to smell in a Imperial Russian.

The taste was initially heavy malt and quickly overtaken by the hops, which took over the flavor with excessive bitterness and grapefruit flavors. This hop flavor overpowered the finish with a spicy bitter flavor that lingered on the palate.

Mouthfeel was thick and creamy appropriate to a Imperial Russian.

Due to the overwhelming hops flavors and bitterness the drinkability was relativily poor.

2.6/5  rDev -39.5%

Have had this beer many times, deciding to rate a bottle after having it again today.

A- Looks like a stout. Pours black with a beige head. I would like the head to be darker considering this is an imperial stout.

S- Very mundane, and tight. Not much going on, basically just some maltiness on the nose.

T- Malty with some bitter old coffee and a little dark chocolate. Does not flow well. Bad flavor transitions. Not much in the way of complexity or flavor.

M- Full bodied. Roasted grain bitterness out of nowhere is hurting the score though.

D- Glad I only bought a single bottle this time.

I keep giving this beer chances, but honestly this is not very good. Probably will not buy from the bottle again. On draft it is a pretty nice beer though. There is not much skill in this beer.

2.65/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle with no freshness date, into a snifter.
Color is pitch black with no color to be found. 3 finger creamy brown head, sits there and sits there. Big thick clumps of lace rings around the glass. Retention is outstanding.

Great big sweet chocolate aroma of the knose. Some grainy earthy aromas, mixed with hints of grassy hops.
Oh that sweet milk chocolate aroma is intoxicating.
No alcahol fumes off the aroma.

More carbonation than anticipated, mouthfeel is somwhat thin for an RIS. Yet there is still an inky like texture. Bitter chocolate grainy flavors. The sweetness in the aroma is now nowhere to be found. This is quite bitter. Kind of a chalky aspirin flavor at the swallow. Some alcahol warming at this point.
Becoming increasingly bitter with hints of spicy hops at the lingering finish.

It was a terrific beer, until I took a sip. Then it became an ok beer for the style. Way too much carbonation, not thick and creamy either.

2.68/5  rDev -37.7%

I got a good, black pour, low head.

I found it harder to drink than I expected. A lot going on in this beer, and not all of it to my taste.

I am a "smoothness" guy, and this is not a smooth beer.

I find this a difficult style to understand right now, and I know it's a hard one to do.

This is my first North Coast Beer, so I am not quite sure what to expect in the future.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.