Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours black as night with a dense fine head that is a dark khaki. Really exceptional looking beer.

It has a smell of espresso, dark roasted malt, and bitter hops- really great.

Great long flavor of roasted malt, coffee, followed by a stinging bitterness with a long, long finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy, maybe a little overcarbonated and a little too light in body. The alcohol is very well hidden despite all that.

Very drinkable. I'm a sucker for anything with a long bitter finish and some complexity. If the body were a little heftier, this would be a 5 as well. I've enjoyed this beer for many years in bottles and on tap, and I think its still kickin.

Georgiabeer, Aug 12, 2006
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass. No indication of when this thing was brewed. I got it as a single.

Appearance: Opaque. I hold my glass up to the light and cannot see through. Looks black, maybe a very dark brown. The initial head was less than a finger and quickly dissipated. It looks like there is a fair amount of bubbles coming up, judging by the activity on the surface.

Smell: Chocolate and roasted malts are the overwhelming scent.

Taste: Wow, this is like a kick in the taste buds! You can get a hint of the high alcohol level, but it is really balanced out by the large number of flavors. Roasted malts are probably the strongest flavor, nice and dark roasted malts. Coffee would be next, followed by chocolate. There is almost a sweet aftertaste, maybe the high ABV. You can feel it warm your stomach.

Mouthfeel. Just the right level of carbonation for a RIS, helps present the flavors well.

Drinkability: Maybe not the best thing to try in the middle of August, but this would be great to warm you up in the winter. I think the high ABV would preclude having too many, but there is a lot more here than just high alcohol level. Great beer.

beveritt, Aug 09, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: black with red hues peaking out the bottom and a wimpish head

Smell: Dark Chocolate Ice Cream with a sour note

Taste Dark Chocolate and lots of it.There's probably some spice in there but i can't detect it.

Mouthfeel: thick with some graininess and a some alchohol

Drinkability: I could have about two then my stool would turn completely black.

CaskofFlyingDog, Aug 08, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -4%

Two fingers of suds on this Russian Stout. Not much lacing but the bubbles stay with the beer quite a while.
I smell chocolate and coffee and some sort of fruit/raisin.
Bittersweet is what I would describe the flavor to be.
It starts out bitter but ends up with a sweet dark toffee flavor.
I love the aftertaste on this one. While not as good as the Stone
it is still a great beer.
I could drink a couple of these at one sitting but wouldn't want to down a case of them.

peabody, Aug 05, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Black as black can be. Stouterific, indeed. One fingered tan head that diminishes to a frothy cap that's thicker around the fringe, clinging to my imperial pint glass.

Ah, the sweet smell of a well-made stout. Sweet, dark chocolate notes intermingled with the pleasant aroma of bitter coffee, alcohol, oak, and cherries (with some medicinal notes as well, hooray!).

Yes, it tastes great also. Bitter and dry, this baby has a whole lot of roasted flavor going on. Coffee, chocolate, and alcohol blend together with other wondrous estery flavors to make a thoroughly delicious beer. Feels good on the tongue and in the back of the throat. Scarily drinkable for such a "thick" beer.

Litterbean, Aug 05, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -17.4%

Oh my god, you cant even see through it! Now this is a stout! First taste was like an uber concentrated form of Guinness Extra. Bitter as f$#^! In fact, I felt the effects of the alcohol about three sips into it. Then it hit my yacking mechanism.

I couldn't even finish it halfway. God I feel like a prick. Wasted such a good beer on a drain pour, but it was just undrinkable to the max. Overwhelming flavors topped with alcohol that seemed like there was 5 shots of rum in it. Maybe I'm not ready for a real beer, or the other beers I had earlier in the day maxed out my consumption for the day. I'll start with this next time because it was just beautiful beer. Darkest I've ever seen with a head that filled a hefe glass with just a 12 oz bottle. Suprised that the lacing wasn't that heavy. Very well done on the appearance, but drinkability? Horrid. Don't get me wrong, the taste is awesome in about 200 different ways, but blah! Feels like you have to choke it down, and that makes it completely un-enjoyable.

MusicmanSD, Aug 02, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Black, dense tan head that persists and leaves some lace. Smells of chocolate, raisins, buttery toffee, sweet coffee, molasses cookie, cinnamon, dark rum, solvent. Layer upon layer, becoming indescribable. Some compound in durian? Paint? No, I can't pin it down. In any case, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. This smell is veryy complex, yet completely cohesive. One of my favorite smells of any beer I have had.

Taste matches nose well, only missing something ephemeral that I cannot pin down. Luscious flavor and mouthfeel. Chewy and delicious. Cohesive. Alcohol is noticeable, but very well integrated. Perfect touch of roasty bitterness. Finish lingers, with rum-raisiny alcohol taking over.

This is an immensely enjoyable beer.

Beerzebub, Jul 31, 2006
4.11/5  rDev -4.4%

As usual, pulled one these babies right out of the cupboard and got a glass to accompany it.

Pours a black as midnight black, looking like overused motor oil. Great brown head that sticks around, leaving behind great lacing. Smells of dark chocolate, rasin sweetness, hints of alcohol...hard to stop smelling really. One of the best tasting Imperial Stouts I've ever had. Tastes of dark chocolate, coffee, malty sweetness, with a light hop dryness hitting you in the middle, ending off with an alcohol warming and lots of hop bitterness. The coffee/chocolate overtones staying with your palate long after each sip. Mouthfeel was pretty oily and thick, but not sludge like thick as would be expected from the appearance. Very pleasant creaminess and not too much carbonation. I've tried many Imperial Stouts as it is a favorite genre of mine, and Old Rasputin blows many out of the water. It's not that hard to find around where I live and the price isn't exhorbitant either. Northcoast should be proud of this exemplary brew.

Doomcifer, Jul 29, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

A - this stout pours midnight black with a half finfer of caramel colored head, too dark to notice any carbonation

S - dark chocolate aromas mixed with dark fruits, like raisins, above a strong alcohol aroma

T - a taste reveals a coffee characteristic not present in the nose, it is very tasty, the chocolate/raisiny/alcohol flavor is strong up front, but then melts into the aforementiond coffee flavor which persists into the aftertaste, very nice

M&D - smooth and silky, very tasty, the only drawback is that the ABV is highish and the alcohol flavor is rather strong, but a great stout

sinstaineddemon, Jul 29, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: absolutely opaque, good tan head, wish I'd had a new glass to see some lacing...

Smell: roast, chocolate, coffee, pretty much exactly what you expect to find in a stout.

Taste: Again, a very well-balanced stout and a fine ambassador for the style to new stout drinkers, I'd imagine. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden. Dry hop finish, just what I want.

Mouthfeel: exceptionally smooth. lighter than I anticipated, but good!

Drinkability: best RIS i've had so far!

hunteraw, Jul 28, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A—solid black, just hints of light shine in at the bottom, a 2 inch thick , ice cream looking beige head, fades away slowly, lacing is in thick sheets

S—chocolate and alcohol, some coffee and bread tones, too, a touch of licorice, very fragrant and makes my mouth water

T—chocolate is strongest, followed by the alcohol and coffee, all flavors combine for a wonderful taste!

M—thick and creamy, full bodied, perfect carbonation

D—can’t drink a lot of it due to the high ABV, but this is perfect for the style, I think. A great nightcap.

hanco005, Jul 26, 2006
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

12oz. bottle poured into Chimay goblet.

A - Incredibly dark brown, white frothy head. Nice head, and lacing retention.

S - Licorice malt/strong alcohol/chocolate/spicey notes.

T&M - Full-bodied. Taste upfront has tones of chocolate, infused with a strong alcoholic bite. Hop bitterness is definitely there upfront, and also near the end. Medicinal phenols bring a sharp bite to the palate. Licorice waves come upfront and near the end, spicey and awakening on the palate. Burnt tones, earthy and nutty also come through. Aftertaste is smooth and creamy with a small amount of bitter, that slowly fades to dry and then lingers for a good while.

D - Great for such a big beer.

An excellent Russian Imperial Stout, has a lot of compexity and depth. Rich, satisfying, and friendly on the palate. Definitely check this one out.

HoustonTX, Jul 22, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured an amber brown/black with a small head that faded quickly. Virtually no lacing present.

Smell was very malty rich and hoppy with hints of dark chocolate, coffee and toffee.

Taste was espresso-like, hoppy and bitter, with the bitterness becoming more intense as the beer moved along the palate. Alcohol flavor was very strong.

Mouthfeeel was full bodied and heavy. Moderate carbonation.

Definitely a sipping beer.

Damian, Jul 21, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours out pitch black with foamy tan head. Nice lacing.

Aroma. Strong licorice aroma. Under that it has very nice chocolate smell with espresso notes to it. It is an interesting smell because I see it as sweet and dry at the same time. Hops really give this a nice crispness, yet it seems creamy. Very interesting.

Taste. Very nice RIS. Starts off with a nice bitterness, thick flavors of malts too, very roasted malts, and some bits of burnt malts. Also has a slight yeasty and waxy character to it. As it warms up, I get a good amount more of the licorice tastes to it. Aftertaste is roasted malts with black coffee hints with a nice warming.

Mouthfeel. Very full mouthfeel, creamy and chewy. Nice amount of carbonation. Balance is excellent- I’m overwhelmed with both the malt character and the hops.

Overall. A great RIS and an incredible beer! A perfect sipper, yet I’m drinking this quicker than I expected, I could probably finish it in about 30-40 minutes. Just great balance and great flavors. One excellent beer I am glad I can pick up in baton rouge.

acrawf6, Jul 20, 2006

Sampled from 12 fl oz bottle courtesy of a friend, traded from the USA.

Dark red color, brown head.
Alcohol and chocolate scent, sweet.
Strong sweet and burnt taste, burnt and coffee after taste.
Warming alcohol feeling.
Very big palate.
Raissin taste as well.
Medium high bitterness.

gnoff, Jul 15, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -14%

Found a 4 pack at Trader Joes in Chicago, but you can find it almost everywhere here.

The appearance is interesting, very very shimmering black with a tan head that unfortunately diminishes rather quickly.

The aroma is like dark espresso coffee with a light friut smell as well. Not too powerful.

This is a very good imperial stout, with it's coffee like flavors, chocalate, and alcohol bite, however the fruity flavors left a strange aftertaste in my mouth. Nothing too terrible. Still a very fine beer

Wouldn't have to many of them in one sitting,a little overwhelming.
But worth a try.

brushpig, Jul 13, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -4%

My first review, so here goes:

appearance: dark black, with an off white head that drops to 1/8 inch, and stays put.

smell: chocolate, roasted grains, maybe a hint of alcohol, but not overwhelming.

taste: pretty much as in the nose, without much of the alcohol coming through. Nice and chewy, maybe some oatmeal, or other head grains. Good balance between bitter, and sweet. I could drink a few of these, and not feel like I'd overdone it.

Overall, a fine example of the style, and another fine beer from North Coast.

dancinwillie, Jul 12, 2006
1.55/5  rDev -64%

I know this beer gets rave reviews, however...

I have enjoyed other RIS's but this one is just plain ugh.

It looks good enough, very dark brown, almost black, ruby around the edge against a light. Nice brown two finger head, goes down to a pretty lace after a while.

Smell is a little strange, very fruity, but not much else.

Taste...ARRRGH! Fruit and alcohol, kinda like Boone's Farm or something. Yuck!

Mouthfeel is as it should be, kinda thick, but not really thick.

Drinkability Well...I bought four of these, and have managed to choke down two, but the other two are probobly destined for the trash hopper.

Like I said, I have enjoyed other RIS's before, Sam Smith's is my fave, but I think Old Rasp is a little high on the ABV at 9%. It makes it too heavy more my taste buds to handle.

tfp4268, Jul 11, 2006
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Between this and Stone Russian Stout I am now a fan of the this style. The beer pours like black crude. Thick and dark with creamy tan head. Smelling immeditely after opening the bottle I definately get a smell of smoke, chocolate, and malt. The taste is slightly bitter at first but then goes on to sweet smokiness. Hints of smoked almonds and a bit of coco. You can definately taste the alcohol in the background. Moutfeel is not bad at all either. I prefer Stone Russian Stout by just a hair because the Russian Stout has just a tiny but more alcohol bite which I prefer. But don't get me wrong I would drink either happily. The drinkability is a tiny bit better with Old Rasputin but some of that might be because it comes in smaller bottles so its a little more cold then having a 22 of Stone sitting there getting warm.

TheBeerWolf, Jul 10, 2006
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is quite the beer. The Abv is one of the most intense experiences one will have with this beer. The benefit (besides the obvious) is that having such a high abv encourages the drinker to drink at a moderate pace and thus enjoy the taste that the beer has to offer. I am a big fan of the darker beers and this one is one of my new favorites.
The smell is unique and powerful.
The taste is strong and more complex than simply a high abv content. there are two distinct tastes with an underlying chocolaty taste.
The mouthfeel is very nice. the alcohol does tend to make its presence felt a little bit, but the beer leaves a nice coating in the aftertaste.
Its a drinkable beer; its a little intense.

andrewm190, Jul 08, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked this one up in Atlanta.

Appearance: Darkest beer I've seen so far. I held it up to a 100W bulb and couldn't see anything. Has a good, dark head.

Smell: Very chocalate-like with strong aromas of expresso and malts.

Taste: The malts hit you like a brick. It tastes a lot like a chocolate expresso. The aftertaste stays with you for a very long time.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied

Drinkability: It's hard to drink more than one in a single sitting. High ABV and full body makes you want a glass of water.

Overall, I was very impressed with this stout. I would recommend it to anyone. It's is probably the best RIS I've had so far for taste and smell.

Poser, Jul 06, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I would like to start by saying that this is my first russian imperial stout so I don't have anything to compare this beer to but I'll do my best.
I poured this from the bottle into a glass and was really impressed with the deep black color, it has only a hint of ruby hues if you hold it up to a light. The head is a dark khaki tan that laces the glass nicely. The smell is really complex roasted and chocolate malts dominate. The first couple of sips present a bitterness that seems almost overwhelming but this soon mellows out once you become used to it and then you can really taste the chocolate malt flavors. Despite the high alcohol content the alcohol isn't that noticable but the beer does have a nice warming quality. I don't know if I would want to try drinking more than one in a sitting just because of the really powerful flavor but it is definitely one i'll buy again.

fank2788, Jul 01, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance – This Stout is as black as they come with a plentiful amount of tan head. It stays reasonably well on the top and leaves some lacing.

Smell – Strong roasted malts on the nose to begin. There is some chocolate, toasted coffee bean, alcohol, and earthiness as well. A good effect which makes me anxious to sip.

Taste – Very roasted malt and burnt wood flavors kick you right in the ass when you take a sip of this. There is more coffee flavor than I expected from the smell which is pretty nice. I can taste slight amounts of chocolate as well along with a pleasant bitterness. A very slight hint of prunes arises as well. On top of it all alcohol makes itself known in a nice warm way. This beer tastes excellent.

Mouthfeel – A decent mouthfeel. Carbonation was slightly high but I could get over that because this one was nice and creamy.

Drinkability – Great. I had an easy time here.

This is a robust and balanced ale which I’m glad to have acquired. Makes me want to try more of this style in a huge way.

Orrshow, Jun 29, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

This beer was tasted in a imperial pint glass from a bottle.

This beer pours jet black with a creamy tan head that holds amazingly well the whole way down the glass and leaves some impressive lace. The smell is sweet roasted and dark chocolate malts. A very nice very strong flavor. The taste is also great. Fully of dark roasted malts and chocolate malts. There is a great sweetness to this beer which is immediately balanced by some huge bitterness. The mouthfeel is exceptional. This can be described as chewey and creamy. Just fantastic. Overally Highly drinkable. A fantastic RIS.

And as I close I wanted to give you this quote from Seinfeld "The Suicide"

If you named a kid Rasputin do you think that would have a negative effect on his life?

...not in this case

MSchae1017, Jun 26, 2006
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Totally black, nice foamy tan head. Some lacing.

S: Complex malt roastyness, sweetness, and some alcohol.

T: Malts up front, real bitter hoppy aftertaste, followed by roasty malts (coffee and chocolate are defiantly there) that linger.

M: Moderate carbonation and pretty full mouthfeel.

D: The bitterness seems to build here, and the high abv makes it tough to drink more than one.

Not a big fan of the hoppy bitterness, but the coffee and chocolate flavors that jump out are delicious.

51mmz0rz, Jun 24, 2006
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.