Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,495 | Hads: 11,151
4.48/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours dark brown/black in color with a caramel two finger head that dissipates to a smooth layer of foam that stays.

S: The aroma is that of roasted coffee and malt. Very nice.

T: Very well rounded, coffee and chocolate, malty and sweet at the same time.

F: Smooth and creamy, perfect carbonation, heavy body.

O: Delicious. Definitely worth trying if your a fan of the style. (382 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I liked it. Strong taste but really well crafted. I would like to try it on tap.

(I finally had it on tap)
It was delicious and creamy. Way better then the bottle. I love this beer of tap. (189 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours black with a thick tan head. Smells of dark roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate and some booziness. Head has a nice creamy texture, tastes of coffee, chocolate, dark roast and burnt malts, molasses and a little hop pine. Heavy body, light carbonation and a coffee/burnt malt aftertaste. (295 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very opaque dark pour with thin, clingy brown head. Aroma is heavily roasted and coffee notes. Incredibly smooth with barely noticible alcohol - remarkable given the content. Instead, flavors are strongly parrallel to aromas - again with coffee and roasted maltiness. This is delicious. One of my favorites amongst my favorite style. (333 characters)

A - Pours an oily jet black with a finger and a half of tan, creamy head with swirls of white cream within, nice thick whispy lacing.
S - Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, slightly smokey, roasted malts and an interesting, freshy earthiness.
T - Absolutely delicious, but be sure and let it warm up a bit first. Malts, coffee, slightly chocolate, quite sweet, a little bitterness at the end. Full bodied and very smooth and creamy mouthfeel.
O - A damned good, 5 star stout. A real treat for a cold autumn or winter day.
V - Quite hard to find and expensive, but must be experienced at least once within your life time. (617 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15%

This one poured a deep brown, nearly black, with a thick sudsy tan head that left excellent lacing down the glass. This was poured from a cold bottle into your run of the mill dinner glass; nothing special. A moderately vigoroua pour is needed with this one, go to hard, and you'll easily overflow your glass.
The first wiff out of the freshly opened bottle comes across sweet and chocolaty, which, to be honest, is what I was expecting. The arouma only grows stronger as the brew is poured.
"Wow", my literal response to the first sip. Sweet chocolaty flavours erupt upon the palate, giving way to coffee and char. Only after swallowing do the hoppy, bitter flavours that I personally prefer in a breq emerge. It may take a few sips for the true cacao flavours of this one to emerge. I may have to bring this one back to WV with me. (836 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a motor oil chocolate brown, very deep. Head is amazing, like the top of a rootbeer float, tan and chunky. Lacing is some of the most amazing I have seen, it is thick and glues itself to the sides of the glass!!. Aroma is of malt, roasted coffee, spice and a hint of chocolate. Taste is bold, with burnt malt/coffee being predominant. Could have used with a little more roast and less burnt. Alcohol is pretty well hidden for a 9% ABV. The undertones of coffee, spice and light chocolate would have been better if it wasn't for the overwhelming burnt bitterness. Ok, I guess it wants to be more, and I am trying, once I get the bitterness off my palate.. (660 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +14.3%

Velvety milk-like mouthfeel, medium coffee flavor with well balanced burnt malt...bitterness doesnt linger...a rich smooth stout with weight and flavor but doesnt knock you over like some (187 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Being a fan of Imperial Stouts, I cannot believe I waited so long to try this one. Pouring it into my snifter, it looks almost motor oil black with a khaki head that settles into nice lacing on top.
The smell is one of dark roast malts. Bitter coffee grinds to say the least. That dark roast carries over to the taste. Not exactly sure how to describe it, but I like it.
The mouhtfeel is rich and coats the tongue and taste buds with that roasty goodness.
Overall, an excellent example of what an Russian Imperial Stout could/should be.
I will be picking this one up again. (576 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

The head has an incredible creamyness akin to the feel of a rootbeer float. Coffee and chocolate flavors, with a smoothness and satisfying aftertaste. One of my favorites. (171 characters)

so close to perfect. It's dark and complex, bitter, good mouth feel. Some day I would like to make a beer very similar to this one. I don't expect anyone to improve upon it. Oddly enough I don't like anything else I've had from this brewery. (241 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -22.4%

A bit to strong of a bite in the beginning very pleasant flavors in the middle coffee, hops, something else I cant put my finger on, the after taste is almost unpleasantly bitter. (180 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

First taste was poured from draft (nitro) a couple weeks ago, and while it was very good I just don't prefer the flat feeling of a nitro beer so I held off on rating until I could try the original version. I enjoy the feel of carbonation. I later found it again, regular draft, and it was absolutely delicious. I would go so far as to say it's of the best year-round Russian Imperial Stouts I've had to date. A must try if you have not already. (444 characters)

My favorite beer on the planet PERIOD...... Everything about this beer is top notch. I was fortunate enough to work for a distribution company that carried North Coast products. One taste of Rasputin and I was hooked. My only issue is that it only comes in 4 packs :) (268 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sampled December 2014 from tap in pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark color, dark tan head that lasted for a while.

Smell: Sweet with strong toasted coffee aromas, also some hints of the hops.

Taste: Full-bodied with great balance of malt and hops. Dominated by roasted coffee, but with some chocolate flavor as well. Taste starts sweet with malts, then comes the roasted coffee flavors, and then a little bitterness from the hops. Overall a great combination.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, but smooth.

Overall: Great stout. Best if you enjoy a combination strong malts & coffee, with a little bitterness from the hops. I will buy this again. (642 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Old Rasputin - Russian Imperial (9%) - North Coast Brewing (California)
☆☆☆☆☆

App: Pours an oil black that is truly opaque, allowing no light to pass through. Rich brown head rises two fingers quickly, with good retention and lots of lacing.

Smell: Deep roasted aroma with notes of chocolate and black coffee, slightly earthy, accompanied by a subtle alcohol twinge that carries the aromas high into the nose.

Taste: Deeply roasted malt dryness flashes across the palate early, then runs parallel with a very subtle, dark chocolate like sweet/bitter complex. Alcohol is present, but balanced enough to never taste hot. Allowed to warm flavors meld together, uniting to become all the characteristics simultaneously. Alcohol lends a mild spicy taste that lifts the otherwise heavy malt character at the end making each subsequent sip another wallop of flavor. Yum.

Mouth: Heavy bodied with smooth carbonation that compliments style very well. Alcohol and bitterness from roasted malt remove any stickiness from the body.

Home tasting, 12oz bottle into Snifter. 12/30/14. (1,088 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -11.4%

Nice thick oatmeal head onto a dark opaque brown nearly black. Nice lacing. I have had this on nitro as well as from bottle, as it is here. At first I felt I picked up almost a marshmallow/caramel aroma on the nose but that dissipated; It's a nice chocolate/coffee with only a hint of smoke. Everything is relatively subtle for a big beer like this; not overly sweet or smokey or boozy. Pretty much spot on for what you want in a impy stout. (441 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into a chilled pint glass. I read on BA somewhere that chilled glasses are no-no, but I like them, so what can I say?

Appearance: VERY dark brown, almost black, almost completely opaque. Pouring into the glass produced a good 2" of tan head that lasted a long while and left very persistent lacing.

Smell: One of the weaker points for me, perhaps because I didn't use the requisite glass type. Definitely the coffee/chocolate smell typical of the type, but not pronounced.

Taste: Coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt. A moderate hoppiness followed by a surprising citrus-like tanginess. Definitely good stuff.

Feel: Velvety smooth and lightly carbonated.

Overall: Lives up to the hype, in my estimation (such as that is). The relatively high ABV kinda sneaks up on you - you don't notice it at all for the first half a glass, but you definitely don't want to chug one before heading off to do anything requiring good coordination! (951 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I'm sure this beer isn't really that bad in other people's opinions and I understand why. It has a good taste, and smell just seems to have an overwhelming taste of hops and as someone who isn't a fan of hops that killed my rating. (231 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was absolutely splendid and a great example of an imperial stout having a thick, lowly carbonated mouthfeel, and a taste and smell full of coffee and dark cocoa notes. Though I did detect some dark fruit in the nose, possibly fig or plums, cocoa and coffee dominated on the palate, which worked well with the mouthfeel, if I tasted this blindly, I could easily believe it to be an oatmeal stout, all in all an exceptional stout, highly recommended. (459 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

Distracted by so many other imperial stouts (and because I live in a primarily warm climate) I haven't had Old Rasputin in several years until this cold and drizzly night and boy, has he not changed a bit. A big, dark chocolate bar of a beer that will knock you flat if you aren't paying attention. The head is still beautiful and thick and smells like the best cup of coffee you wish you could have after you finished. (419 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I don't believe a "perfect score" is ever realistic (my perspective...my rubric)....but this one would come oh so close to a "5"...my taste buds opinion

Beautifully creamy/sustaining head and thick/thick body...the smell/taste of roastiness, of chocolate and coffee and beautiful malt/hop balance flowing thickly over the tongue

sweet elixir... (346 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Smell of deep chocolate, mocha and smooth oats all blended together. Khaki head that looks like it could float a quarter on top. The mouth feel is unbelievable for a beer with this much ABV and a RIS. Smooth as smooth can get. Taste is superb and very subtle alcohol. By far one of the best RIS I have had...so glad I finally tried it. (341 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm only giving this 4.75's because its not THE best stout I've ever had, but it's pretty close. I wish I could give it 4.99 stars. It has a nice dark head, and a delicious complex flavor that never lets you down. We always have some in our fridge! (248 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Always my go to imperial stout..black as motor oil nice amount of carbonation and tastes like a chocolate espresso bomb...at 9 bucks a 4 pack its almost always in my fridge.. (174 characters)

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.