Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Pitch black, head is cream colored and holds for a while with nice lacing on edge of the glass.

S: Sweet toffee and roasted malt smell with hint of alcohol on the back end which if more prominent as it warms up.

T: Smooth with a moderate thickness, roasted malt, toffee, coffee and sweetness. Alcohol can be appreciated as it warms up.

M: Great body the finishes nicely and cleanly. To my taste buds, I get a hint of alcohol when it warmed up.

O: FANTASTIC. The alcohol is a minor issue and only when warms up, especially at 10%. I need to age one of these and see how it turns out in about a year or two. I don't know if my patience can last much longer than that.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.56/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up at my local Total Wine for the first time a couple months ago....this will be one of my go to favorite RIS when i cannot locate the Narwhal. Dark color, dark fruit, charred/coffee flavor. I truly love this stout, unfortunately it is about $10 for a 4 pack. Very nice drink-ability. Smooth, it is not my top RIS, but it is in my top five and definitely one I will not turn down.

Very nice on a cool fall/winter evening or as a night cap.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Nice dark stout. Nice dark color and the taste is neutral. Only the slightest of sweetness. Good flavor with just the right amount of carbonation. Enjoyed this. Nothing really stood out as being exceptional to me except that the high ABV really gives you a nice wack.

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured completely black with a nice tan head. Smelled roasty, almost smokey. Tasted great. Lots of dark malt notes, well balanced slightly bitter hop finish. The mouthfeel is lacking compared to the rest of the characteristics of this beer. It was a bit syrupy imho. The 9% abc was well hidden as well. I will be buying this one again soon.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'll start off by saying that I am a huge fan of super dark beers, and that I know that it is not everyone's favorite type. That being said, this is one of my favorites. Especially for a beer that is easy to acquire year round here in CT. The pour is great with pitch black liquid and a nice brown head. The profiles of coffee and dark chocolate are very strong and give a great aftertaste. I love pairing this beer with red meats, although I drink this alone quite a bit. North Coast is a great brewery with an eclectic selection but this will probably remain as my favorite of theirs for some time.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.