Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.21/5  rDev -2.1%

I have had this before, but I have never had the chance to review. So let's dip into this mean bastard!

The appearance is wickedly amazing--pitch black and a massive tan head, with plenty of lacing.

A woodsy aroma, coffee, chocolate, burnt wood, with a bit of nuttiness, but dark nuts like walnut and brazil nuts.

You can take the flavor many ways. Here is my take. The mocha, bitter, burnt wood, oaty flavor is deep, and dark. Evil. It is oppressive in its intensity. Old Rasputin wants to bring you to your knees. It wants you to say, "This is too much smoke flavor at the finish!" Or, "This is making my head spin!" And there are few beers that can bring you into its world. Old Rasputin is one of those.

The feel is heavy, sticky and like oil. Thick and viscous.

This may be, for all its amazing qualities, the least drinkable great beer. The flavor is so intense and sharp that drinking it is truly a chore. It is the difference for me between Old Rasputin being the finest beer I have had in my life, to it being a great beer that I rarely find myself purchasing.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a rich mahogony with a dark tan head. It has a full bodied aroma that is a wonderful mix of dark malt and fruits. The taste is a bold malt with a bit of bitter roastieness then has an alcohol burn for a finish. Not quite as sweet as I like my RIS, but a nice change of pace. The feel is appropriately heavy and quite smooth, even creamy. I will definately be back for more. I had a serious thirst for a RIS this summer and the store I went to only had this in stock. I have now enjoyed the first 3 from the 4pack and I think I'll set the other one down for a while. I'd like to see if the cherry aroma will show in the taste as it ages.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Dark dark brown with tan head, very dark and mysterious. Smells deliiicious with chocolate filling my nostrils begging me to sip! And sip I do, and it is, in fact, also, delicious. Chocolately and caramely and espresso-y. A bitter finish completes the taste cycle. Mouthfeel is bubbly and fluffy, very clean and smooth. Very drinkable, though too sweet after a while. And did I mention how sneaky this is? At almost 9 percent, it's definitely sneaky.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Glass - Snifter

A - Black color with a bit of brown when held to light. Produced a 1-finger head that quickly dissipated to a thin tan ring. No lacing here, a spot & a splash is about it.

S - Raisins, dates, grape & plum fruity notes when swirled. A bit of licorice with some mild charcoal and roasted notes. Dark chocolate as well with a touch of alcohol as well.

T - Lots of charcoal & a bit alcohol burn upfront, rich dark chocolate flavors follow, not as complex as I expected. This beer finishes with pronounced alcoholic flavor & burn, from the tongue all the way down the throat! A bit more roasted & chocolaty flavors are there when it warmed, big dark chocolate flavors are dominate.

M - A bit slick and almost full bodied, allot thinner than I expected. Mild mild crispness on the tongue.

D - Well I might have a snifter or 2 after a long day. I did expect a bit more complexity for sure, I don't recommend drinking this straight out of the fridge because there's more flavors to enjoy when it's around room temp. Pretty good, not sure if I'd buy it again but I definitely recommend it. Cheers!

Pours a deep pitch black color with a mocha colored head and tons of residual lacing. Smells of malts, dark fruits, and roasted goodness. Tastes much the same with prunes, plums, roasted malts, a little smokiness, strong hops and some hints of coffee. Mouthfeel is very nice and drinkability is high.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 13oz tulip glass.
A: Pours like motor oil. Pitch black beer, not even a hint of light around the edges. Two finer mocha head slowly fizzles away to a thin layer coating the top of the beer. I can't even see if there are a lot of carbonation bubbles in the beer. leaves a ton of lacing in the glass.
S: A lot of hops up front along with roasted espresso malts.
T: There is a lot going on here. First, I get bitter coffee. In the middle of the tongue, I get hints of chocolate and some sweetness from dark fruits. The finish is a dry hop bitterness.
M/D: Very thick, full body really coats the mouth. This beer has very little in the way of carbonation. Very drinkable. Hides the alcohol well.

This is one of the most balanced and complex RIS I've ever had. There is a very strong hop presence along with strong coffee flavors. Overall, an outstanding beer.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

12oz. bottle poured into Chimay goblet.

A - Incredibly dark brown, white frothy head. Nice head, and lacing retention.

S - Licorice malt/strong alcohol/chocolate/spicey notes.

T&M - Full-bodied. Taste upfront has tones of chocolate, infused with a strong alcoholic bite. Hop bitterness is definitely there upfront, and also near the end. Medicinal phenols bring a sharp bite to the palate. Licorice waves come upfront and near the end, spicey and awakening on the palate. Burnt tones, earthy and nutty also come through. Aftertaste is smooth and creamy with a small amount of bitter, that slowly fades to dry and then lingers for a good while.

D - Great for such a big beer.

An excellent Russian Imperial Stout, has a lot of compexity and depth. Rich, satisfying, and friendly on the palate. Definitely check this one out.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.