Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A - This stuff pours with an opaque BLACK body...nice and dark. My pour wasn't especially aggressive, but this brew produced an ambitious 3 finger dark tan head. Looks delicious!

S - This smells absolutely delectable. Chocolate is foremost in the aroma, followed by some roasted malts. The chocolate gives a nice sweet aroma that plays so nicely with just a twinge of the roasted malt. Wow, can't wait drink this.

T & M - The aroma built me up and the flavor certainly did not let me down. That huge chocolate body is accented by a bit more roasted malt than the nose let on, and then accentuated with some slight hop bitterness toward the end. Yummy. Full bodied and the alcohol is well masked. Creamy mouthfeel with a bit of bitter chocolate aftertaste.

D - This is a beautiful example of the RIS style. Very drinkable and a brew for North Coast to be proud of.

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into snifter glass

A: Dark, dark, dark. Very small amount of tan head with lacing.

S: Incredibly fragrant, strong coffee tones in the nose.

T & M: Wow, my beer journey has led me to my first RIS and I knew this was the first one I wanted to try. I used to strongly dislike stouts and porters but my tastes have changed so much that I love this beer. Very smooth coffee tones up front but a nice amount of bitterness in the mouthfeel. I also agree with other reviewers in that there is some smokiness as well. I now see why RIS as a whole and especially Old Rasputin specifically are well regarded.

D: Drinkable but I'm not sure I could drink more than one in a sitting due to the ABV and the overall thickness of the brew.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours black coffee with a dark foam that shrinks down to a small surface cover. Faint smell, coffee, sherry, little burn in the belly. Not to much sweetness, but not too bitter. Very mellow for the alcohol content. Nice sipping beer. My friends really liked it as well.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

4.6/5  rDev +7%

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Old Rasputin pours a lovely jet black with a fair amount of head that likes to stick around for awhile. Smell is dominated by chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.

Taste is what I pour it into my glass for though, and this features a balanced pile of roast, coffee, and plenty of that chocolate too. For such a high alcohol beer this drinks very smoothly as well, though the mouthfeel isn't quite top of the imperials, but still plenty of coating to go around.

Overall a wickedly tasty stout that goes down surprisingly smooth, and a regular in my fridge.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

This poured a deep, oily black, without much color around the edges and a carmel colored head. The smell was pretty complex with lots of tones of malts, roasted to sweet, and a slight hop presence. The taste was the standout character of this beer for me. Very coffee and chocolaty, both bitter roast and sweet. It is very deep and creamy. The alcohol is apparent but not overpowering. Not the most drinkable, but a few can be fine.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

A- Pours a deep black with about an inch worth of head. The head is a brownish cream color and it leaves some nice lacing on the glass.
S- I can smell the toasted malts along with maybe a bit of caramel. The alcohol also peaks out just a bit more than expected.
T- Toasted malts and almost seems like a little bit of coffee. Also a bit of caramel and some alcohol. There is a small amount of bitterness on the tailend .
M- This is a nice medium bodied beer with some nice soft carbonation. Its pretty smooth and creamy.
D- The alcohol peaks through a little too much for my liking but I still enjoyed this beer. Also it is pretty strong so I wouldn't have more than 1 in a sitting.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Wife told everyone to bring me a unique beer for my birthday. This is one of the three BA Top 100s I scored. Lets do it...

Guess what....it's dark. Fairly black. Nice mocha head. Began to thin out.

Stout smell.

Well the flavor is more commanding than the smell. Not that the smell is bad, but the taste kicks it up a notch. Bam!It's actually a bit too cold right now so I'll let it warm. *Lets it warm* Bitter in a chocolaty way. Coffee of course, possibly some black licorice.

After warming for some time, the aroma filled out with some dark cherries and alcohol but the mouthfeel got even smoother.

Overall: good, but after Stone IRS what else is there?

3.97/5  rDev -7.7%

A- Deep brown with a light tan, almost airy head

S- Chocolate and roasted malts, a bit of coffee, not nearly as strong as the taste would have had me think!

T- Full! Caramel malts up front with the coffee and hops lingering -- long aftertaste but not it's not bad at all

M- Not full or creamy as you'd think... almost light really and that's surprising

D- Drinkable-- like it a lot and the fullness of the flavor is pretty great but the mouthfeel just kinda kills it for me

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Had on tap at the Taphouse on Queensway in Hampton, VA.

Appearance: Served in a chalice. Completely black with a one finger brown head that dissipates at a reasonable pace and leaves tons of lacing.

Smell: Good roasty malts, dark chocolate, caramel, coffee

Taste: More good roasted malt, dark chocolate, caramel, coffee, an excellent Russian Imperial Stout, I would consider it the gold standard of the style.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and smooth, full body with low carbonation.

Overall: A top notch brew, I had to get it when I saw it on tap.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.