Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

had this on a Nitro tap... yum...

Look: This beer pours very dark and has a deep tan head. Extra creamy coming off the nitro.

Smell: Smells like toffee and coffee and coco. Chocolate malts. I smell soy sauce as well and a little tangyness... very complex.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and warming. This beer coats the tongue and throat.

Taste: Toffee and sweet malts. I get a very Dark chocolate flavor as well. This beer starts sweet but is very balanced...The hop presence bites the tongue as the beer finishes. Very good stuff!

Drinkability: I love this beer but its best had as a dessert perhaps with chocolate or ice cream.

4.04/5  rDev -6%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.6/5  rDev +7%

A- Very dark brown/black hue with small, creamy light brown head, excellent lacing throughout
S- Chocolate and coffee aroma with strong caramel/roasty malts
T- WOW! Sweet chocolate malts dominate, coffee roastedness tones, subtle bitter hops pop up near the end, very chewy and nicely balanced
M- Very full-bodied stout, creamy/chewy texture with soft carbonation
D- Surprisingly drinkable for a rather heavy stout, the 9% abv is masked mostly by delicious chewy hops, this brew could be a great post-dinner drink but the strong sweet malts makes it tough to drink several in one setting

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours pure black, giant mocha head which took far too long to dissipate(but gave the beer some warming time).

Smells of malt, roasted nuts, slightly boozy, with some coffee, bitter chocolate, and a hint of anise(might be the booze).

Tastes thickly of great malts, dark and roasty, good presence of coffee and dark chocolate are there too. Very tasty.

Feels good, plenty of carbonation, yet coats the tongue, full bodied and a little boozy burn. My least favorite part of the beer, but still good.

Overall a great beer, not a bad choice for my fiftieth review. Bold and intense flavors really make this an excellent beer, one I will enjoy for years to come.

DOA

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

3.77/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Jet black with generous creamy head and lots of lacing left behind.

S - Absolutely delicious smell. Creamy, with chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt notes and a touch of alcohol at the end. If this beer followed the nose, I think I'd have an all-time favorite.

T - Starts with heavy roasted malts and black coffee notes, followed up with alcohol, dark chocolate, and finishes with a pine hop punch. Reminds me somewhat of a thin mint for some reason. Must be the chocolate and pine. Pretty good, but surprisingly...not my favorite imperial.

M - A lot of carbonation. Heavy mouth feel. While I typically enjoy less carbonation in my beers, I still found this to be a worthwhile experience. I've heard this beer described as a fine representation of the style, so if nothing else, try this beer for that reason.

O - Enjoyed it. I think I'd absolutely love it on draft, and will look to do so in the near future. For a bottled imperial, I was mildly impressed.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.13/5  rDev -4%

A- Pitch black color, non-transparent, one finger thick tan color head that lowered slowly

S- Roasted malts, caramel, wood, slight sweetness, hint of alcohol

T- Creamy, espresso, roasted malts, sweet, smokey, hint of hops finish

M- Medium body, medium carbonation, smooth, rich, flavorful

D- Worth buying again

I always love this Russian Imperial Stout. It's probably one of my favorites in this catagory.

3.76/5  rDev -12.6%

Though I love the style, Old Rasputin has never been a favorite of mine. Generally I've found it a little too acrid and roasted for my tastes. Well I don't know if it's me, this bottle, or some combination of the two but this particular bottle is probably the best Old Rasputin I've ever had. It's been sitting for a month which I wouldn't assume is long enough to make it so much smoother and more palatable than the rest of the four-pack, but who knows?

Looks good, smells fine but taste is where this one really shines. The best way I can describe it is Abyss Light. Licorice, molasses, a roasted quality that isn't over the top. Not too syrupy. Maybe a touch over-carbed but combined with the medium body, it makes it about as sessionable as an RIS can be.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.