Follow our progress ...

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout | North Coast Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Reviews: 3,627 | Ratings: 11,820
4.67/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great looking bottle. Bought it using the beer advocate rating system. Pours very beautifully. Has a sweet chocolaty and caramel element in the smell. As far as taste; very smooth, velvety. The high alchohol content is very well hidden. A new favorite indeed!

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Look - about what you'd expect from an imperial stout - Dark, opaque, small tan head that quickly dissipates to about an eighth inch. Pretty typical for the style.

Smell - roasted coffee, hint of Bakers chocolate or cocoa. Not really getting anything else. (Chocolate reveals itself more on warming)

Taste - way more coffee than chocolate. No alcohol readily evident, so the 9% abv is well hidden. Disappointing, not a lot going on here but on the positive side, nothing really wrong either. Quite drinkable, but don't think I'd seek it out. By the way. Im getting none of the sweetness some reviewers mention. Maybe it's just my batch?

Feel - shockingly thin, didn't expect that

Overall disappointed, and I had high expectations - maybe too high? I'll try it again though, I'm a sucker for Russian Imperial Stouts...and it is pretty smooth, I must say. I just feel like the flavor is lacking. It's not bad .

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance:
Very dark, almost black in color. Poured with about an inch of an almost caramel head. Very carbonated and has a very inviting presence to it. Retains the head for a matter of minutes.

Smell:
Very strong smell as soon as the bottle was opened and the beer was poured. When brought to the nose it is quite easy to smell the sweet aroma of the roasted/chocolate malts (smells as an almost balanced degree of chocolate malt v. roasted, with maybe a minor upper hand to roasted) with an almost citrous-type hoppiness to it.

Taste:
Very smooth in tasting, goes down easily despite the high ABV of the beer; not a typical strong beer in the high degree of its smoothness. Very strong taste of the malts followed by the citrus of the hops. Obviously that it was brewed in Russian Imperial manner with a focus on your darker roasted malt but it also has a pleasant balance of hops to counter the increased use of malt in the beer. Malts are very well balanced with the chocolate prevailing paired with the taste of roasted malt. Very true to Russian Stout fashion with a surprising degree of hops used to balance the beer.

Mouthfeel:
Feels like a very light, smooth beer. Easy on the palate but alive on your tongue with the malt/hop mix. Feels slightly over carbonated but with this beer the extra carbonation isn't overally out of place.

Drinkability:
This beer is considerably easy to drink. This is a beer best suited for sipping. Especially on a cold night, this would be the beer to sit with and enjoy the evening. Very easy to drink another one, and as it warms it does add to the taste to a slight degree, given the style of the beer. I would highly recommend.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

If the Czarina had been drinkin' Old Raspy instead of listening to his quacky advice on Hematology, history would have been much different. Poured into my Great Lakes BC pint glass, and allowed to sit for about 10 minutes to warm up. Zippo head, and black. Smells like 2 day old coffee grounds, which personally, I find appealling. Very smooth, no aftertaste, faint burnt something-or-other taste. Paid about $44 for a case.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

The last of the Autumn tasting I had at Grapevine in Fort Mill, SC.

Poured into a pint with a pitch black color. Soft creamy head that lingers.

Other than subtle coffee notes the nose is mild and almost indistinguishable.

The nose doesn't give away the stellar complexity of flavors. Currants, bittersweet chocolate, with toasty malts and a wonderful bitter finish. I seemed to notice some bourbon layers in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel is thick and sumptuous with great balance between alcohol and flavor. The beer is so complex it makes you want to keep it rolling around in your mouth to see what else you taste.

A superb imperial stout.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

This poured dark as midnight with a nice soft thick head that stuck to the sides of the glass. I tastes hints of chocolate and coffee. The feel was creamy and smooth this went down very easy and at 9% i didnt taste any alcohol in the finish. I drank this with a smoked pork chop sandwich that i thought went well together. If you see this on tap i recommend giving it a try.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

This RI stout is fantastic. The drinkability is probably higher than almost any RIS or IS or IPA I've had, or should I say any beer of 8.1%+. I like the bitterness and tang which separates it from most RI's, there is a crisper finish to me and a hint of welcome metallic tones. It almost seems like someone added a few tablespoons of Newcastle to this one. Additionally, there's a bit of sweetness which comes in the form of distinctive carmel. The texture in the mouth is a bit less viscous than the Stone, my permanent reference point, but also a bit less round and unified. Again one could say mouthfeel is heading towards Newcastle or even Guiness ever so slightly (and just slight enough). Besides that rare nutty-metallic tang, Rasputin has lovely dark malty flavors with the coffee/chocolate/toffee somewhere and just enough herbal notes to round it off. It's rare that a beer can avoid overdoing the hoppy and floral tones to my liking while still including them, and this one does it to perfection. If you're a fan of floral tones, I've noticed those flavors are more pronounced as you approach room temperature, where the beer seems more oily and chewy.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Caught my eye on a visit to Cape Fear Wine and Beer, picked up a few bottles, and returned to the B&B.

I'm with Todd: a freakin' evil looking bottle, with the iconic image of the Mad Monk conferring a blessing - perhaps casting out the young Prince Alexander's hemophilia but just as likely laying a Holy Whammy upon any who deign to imbibe this magical elixir...but the Cyrillic inscription (and, frankly, Cyrillic looks ominous to Westerners, like vestigial Klingon) is heartwarming: "One does not become an intimate friend in single evening."

Poured into a pub pint, but in increments - partially a straight pour, letting the head froth up, inches high, which subsided rather quickly to a persistent lacing. Body is black as pitch: held up to light, nothing penetrates. A liquid black hole: what secrets does it conceal? Awesome.

Nose is a first high, sweetish, hoppy-fruity. The dark toasted malt comes through in second place. Surprising.

Taste is of a magnificently balanced imperial stout, thickly sweetishly bitter, broken down into flavors easily associated with the word "black" - molasses, licorice, dark, dark, chocolate, roasted tree nuts, burnt toast with a thin coat of current jam, oatmeal with raisins (?)... The 9 percent ABV is hidden somewhere but has an unctuous invigorating taste of a wonderful health beverage, the kind of specialist marvel for which one has to visit exclusive spas to enjoy the privilege of drinking.

I finished the bottle 10 minutes ago and its finish lingers on my palate. I kid you not. The mouthfeel is characterized by implicit carbonation, sufficient to give the profound weight of the stout a wisp of airy lightness.

Compared to this, Guiness Stout is club soda...

It is sub-freezing in Wilmington, our room is like a meat locker, I half-expect to see a side of beef in the wardrobe, but this remarkable brew is cosseting in its warmth. I'd very much like another. My glass cries out for renewal, but the cupboard is bare, the bottle empty, Old Rasputin vanquished, no more. A pity. But the delight lingers, as will the memory. And thanks to the wonderful North Coast Brewing Company, a memory that may be renewed.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance - Jet black body that pours about a finger and a half of cappuccino head that disappears quickly into a film like head.

Smell - Sweet, roasted malts off the bat, including hints of chocolate and plum, that give way to a more refined and complex smell. Vanilla stands out in the finish as well as a bit more of the dark fruits. Hides the 9%ABV fairly well.

Taste - Starts with the sweeter dark fruits (cherry/plum) but quickly and painlessly fades into a more of a dark bitter chocolate style finish.

Mouthfeel - Moderate to low carbonation, but a fairly thick beer that coats the tongue.

Overall - Clearly this is a great imperial stout that anyone should try if they get the opportunity, but it's not only that. This beer has so many characteristics of a good stout. There is the malty sweetness up front, the bitter chocolate finish and the moderate carbonation that is included in this style. Drink this beer. Now.

Taste -

4.58/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up at my local Total Wine for the first time a couple months ago....this will be one of my go to favorite RIS when i cannot locate the Narwhal. Dark color, dark fruit, charred/coffee flavor. I truly love this stout, unfortunately it is about $10 for a 4 pack. Very nice drink-ability. Smooth, it is not my top RIS, but it is in my top five and definitely one I will not turn down.

Very nice on a cool fall/winter evening or as a night cap.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aroma: Sweet, bitter, dark chocolate with hints of licorice and alcohol

Appearance: Pours rich black with enormous head that settles into a nice, tan finger of frothy luxury

Taste: Medium sweetness up front giving way to a lightly bitter aftertaste

Palate: Light bodied with a thin oily texture, finishing with a long bitter finale.

Overall: A very good imperial stout

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

poured from bottle into glass

A: black as midnight; 2 finger head dark mocha in color; leaves good lacing as you drink

S: very roasty malty coffee like aromas smells delicious

T: malty, a little smoky espresso like at first you taste the alcohol and not in a bad way after a few the boozy taste subsides and all that remains is a delicious hot chocolate coffee like beverage that has you craving more

M: creamy and full bodied great subsistancy not too thick

O: an excellent brew; if you find this quad for under $10 you better buy it! best i've seen it is $8.99 (so far)

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I drank this after having a bottle of Chocolate Sombrero (Clown Shoes). That being said, this one poured motor oil black with an exceptional tan head. Upon pouring, all I can really smell is chocolate, with some faint coffee in the background.

This one is tastes like chocolate, with a little coffee mixed in as well. I can also taste a very roasted flavor. I'll definitely drink this one again if I come across it.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A truly unique and amazing imperial stout. The sharp taste is a perfect balance of alcohol, coffee and hops. This beer is at or near 40 deg (Black) with a perfectly thick head. This beer is probably one of the most drinkable and enjoyable imperial stouts you will ever have the pleasure of drinking. Now let me get back to my sixer :).

4.15/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into a pint glass. Dark brown with tan head dissolving to a lace. Slightly sweet aroma backed by pronounced coffee and molasses. Tastes pretty much like it smells. It starts with a light sweetness on the tip of the tongue, followed by a pronounced coffee and molasses flavor. Slight hint of dark chocolate. Carbonation gives it a balanced feel.

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Highlights:
-Overpowering burnt coffee flavors, faint smokiness
-Lots of bitterness, reminds me of chewing espresso beans
-Improved as it warmed
-Reminds me of quadruple shot (with a hint of raspberry and light on the chocolate) mocha

Notes:
I didn't give it a higher rating in appearance, because I like it when Imperial Stouts pour like syrup. This one poured just slightly thinner than expected. Excessively bitter to get a higher drinkability.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

a= Pour is black, with a surprising light tan head.

s= roasted malts & coffee

t= initial taste is: sweet with a hop finish a bit bitter at the end. Very nice.

m= Smooth full flavor of coffee and malt. Not over powering

d= This was an excellent stout. Could easily drink more than one.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Great look to it. mice and dark...didn't give it a 5 though cause it isn't motor oil dark...maintains a really good head

S: Very hoppy to smell, guessing a pretty high ibu...alcohol smell, nice smoked malt smell. Hoppy is the thing that comes to ming

T: Very hoppy compared to others...little cocoa...very little coffee

M: Not as creamy as I would like...Nice creamy head but one you get to the substance very dry...still though i'll kill a four pack

O: Great rendition of the style, definitively one of the top three I have had..just wish it was little creamier and full bodied. Needs maybe another .5% Abv...but still nothing to rag about here

2.43/5  rDev -43.2%

I had this on a nitro tap at Sunset Grill. The next day I also had a bottle and found that I liked the bottle better. The nitro made the beer smoother, but I don't think that's what makes the beer. The carbonation of the bottle matched with the strong flavors in this beer while the nitro felt like it was trying to mellow a big beer.

Overall I'm not a big fan of Rasputin. It seems to be especially harsh for it's alcohol content. I also find that after about 2/3 of the way through the beer I wish I was done. The flavor profile isn't complex enough to carry me through.

3.82/5  rDev -10.7%

I am not a huge stout drinker, but this one was quite enjoyable, my only hangup was that it was upfront with a very strong alcohol taste that took a few drinks to blunt. As the bottle went down, it became more of a 4.5 beer, but the first hit is only a 3.0 beer if you catch my drift.

Color was the first thing I noticed, it is very dark as an imperial stout should be, and had a blended head from white to tan.

Also like many stouts, there was a chocolate/coffee smell which was probably the best feature of this beer.

Taste, was much like I mentioned before. The taste evolves from the first drink to the last, so don't judge this one until the bottle is empty!

Mouthfeel was smooth, but still a bit harsh alcohol-wise which lead to....

Drinkability which I scored low due to the fact that after one, I was ready to move on despite the overall pleasant experiance after my first drink.

Overall, I think this beer is worth trying, I think North Coast produced a winner in this stout, but only buy it if you are into stouts, which if you are reading this, is probably true.

2.46/5  rDev -42.5%

Never thought I'd say this, but this beer was too highly hopped for me. Nice dark espresso color and low carbonation, smelled of caramel malt, but could barely taste it. I love highly hopped beers (Stone's Ruination is a favorite) but not so much with the stouts and this could have been so much more if the malt could come forward a little.

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: Pours a dense black with a thick brown head (reddish tint around edge of head).
Smell: A very malty, almost roasted scent. Straight up with pleasant hints of chocolate and stronger hints of coffee.
Taste: Somewhat of a chocolate covered coffee bean. With a bit of a cherry and tartness. Definitely taste the alocohol but not in a bad way. Delicious!
Mouthfeel: A nice smooth, thick, creaminess with a tiny bit of sweet tingling of a light carbonation in the end.
Drinkablity: The more I have the more the cherry comes through. Its somewhat heavy (expected) but it balances out very well. It goes down well especially for the abv.

An excellent brew! I highly recommend it especially for a later in the evening drink. Something I would stock up a bit on for the winter.

3.24/5  rDev -24.3%

This was just too bitter for me to drink as a standalone - I realize now that most "craft" beer drinkers are looking for super bitter beers, so I can see the popularity of this - but it is not for me. Would be a good accompaniment to a heavy meal that would mask the bitter flavor.

4.76/5  rDev +11.2%

A= Poured near-black into a Guiness pint glass. A solid inch of rich brown foam lasted a good 5 minutes. Plenty of lacing.

S= Coffee, malt, a touch of chocolate. Overall, lighter in aroma than I was expecting.

T= Exceptional. Very well balanced- the coffee is there, but not overpowering. Some dried fruit in the form of figs and prunes, but without the sweetness often associated with them. A little spice and mild hop bitterness keep the malts in check.

M= Med-full with a surprising, pleasant, and much welcome amount of carbonation that makes for a lighter mouthfeel than is usually associated with this style.

D= This is one of the best stouts I have ever had. The higher carbonation keeps it refreshing and the 9%ABV is well masked, making this a dangerous stout that went down remarkably fast. Now if I only had a platter of raw oysters...

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%

The beer pours a jet black liquid; impenetrable by light. The head is a nice coffee color, about an inch right up to the edge of my pint glass. The head retention is excellent and the lacing on the side of the glass leads down to a creamy top of the beer even when almost gone.

The aroma is a big mix of dark chocolate and malt upfront with some mild hoppy scents on the back end. Thick smell that sticks in your nostrils; very inviting.

Like the smell, there's lots of dark chocolate and roasted malt taste that dominate here. Some hoppiness is detectable and there is a very faint kick of alcohol in the aftertaste. Overall not a bitter taste (in fact somewhat sweet) but there is some bitterness on the back end. Complex throughout; definitely tastes like a BIG beer.

Not too heavy on the palate for an Imperial Stout; consistency is less thick than oil but certainly thicker than a normal stout. Compliments the chocolate taste quite nicely.

Not highly drinkable; it too me around 15 minutes to finish a glass but those 15 minutes were delicious.

Paid $8.99 for a 4-pack. Great value.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.