Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,494 | Hads: 11,144
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the second time I have had this beer. I don't drink stouts too often but the bar was featuring it. The pour was done well as the bartender gave it a litle rest prior to filling the pint to the top. The foam appeared and dissipated in about a minute. Color was quite dark. Flavors of coffee and chocolate. Well balanced. More importantly - the aroma and taste was consistent with the last time I've had it. Had this with the dessert and found it to be a good pairing. (474 characters)

4.28/5  rDev 0%

12oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Have you ever been inside a cave and turned off your headlamp? That's how black this brew is. A thin tan head that sticks around. Good lacing.

S: Sweet smell of cocoa, malts, and prunes. The alcohol is almost unnoticeable after letting it sit for a bit. Really inviting.

T: Dark chocolate and burnt malts. Alcohol is pronounced but not overpowering. Excellent warming finish. Sweet and dry aftertaste.

M: Wonderful mouthfeel. Silky with substance; very smooth.

D: I love this beer and could easily have another but the ABV commands respect and restraint. A really delicious brew. (626 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

12 oz bottle poured into imperial pint glass. Pours a beautiful thick dark brown (midnight brown?) with a nice dark caramel head that holds up for the duration.

Nice aromas of chocolate, malt, vanilla, a touch of coffee. Good smelling beer.

Tastes lovely with most of the aromas coming through on the palette, with the addition of some bourbon.

Mouthfeel is creamy with a touch of carbonation.

Drinkability is a tad low. I like this beer a lot but I don't need or want a lot of it. One is enough for sure. (509 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

An amazing beer and terrific in a special very American way. Taste and look were the best part of the beer,with smell lacking for an Imperial Stout.
My opinion is that even though this is an American Classic, this beer is really an over grown American/Foreign Extra Stout.

Imperial Stouts are billed as having aromas of dark fruit, burnt sugar, and aggressive yeast aromas and traditionally if true "English Stouts" don't have such a heavy Rbarley/coffee note.

Despite this, the beer was soooo drinkable and I love idea of an overgrown carrying a big stick stout. (568 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz into Imperial Pint

A: Pitch black, light brown head.

S: Heavy roasted coffee beans and cocoa.

T: Intense molasses and bitter coffee beans, followed by a significant alcohol burn.

M: Heavy but not too viscous.

D: I could put away a 4-pack of these in a night...

This is easily the best stout-for-your-buck on the market. (330 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Damn fine brew.

Appearance: Pours jet black. Pretty sexy one finger head that almost looks like the beer is topped with a tan milkshake.

Smell: As soon as I popped open the bottle, before pouring, I was pleasantly assaulted by the aroma of chocolate, with a bit of coffee.

Taste: Chocolate dominates the first moments of the tasting, leaving a mildly bitter coffee aftertaste. The flavors are strong, this is definitely not a bland beer. Phenomenal.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not overly so. A noticeable amount of carbonation which leaves a nice tingling on the tongue.

Drinkabilitiy: This beer is very smooth, but filling. I imagine that after a few I wouldn't want to drink or eat anything for hours.

All in all, a terrific RIS. I'd beat a small child to get this on tap. (776 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: very dark and oil like. A nice thick and foamy head on this one with a cream/ tan color. Really nice lacing

Smell: smoky/roasted malt definitely comes out

Taste: pretty strong roasted malt on the front end with a pretty bitter/chocolately finish - a bit of a tongue punisher with a bitter finish. Complex flavors really mask the ABV.

Mouthfeel: a nice and thick stout with pretty solid carbonation per the style

Drinkability: very good, but drinking more than one or two could be quite the task due to how big this stout is and the fact that the bitter finish wrecks your pallette. (600 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +3%

A- Absolutely gorgeous. The head has such a frothy characteristic and retains itself very well.

S- Dark and malty, just like a good stout . I can easily distinguish the alcohol with an added hop character.

T- Luckily, I smell more alcohol than I can taste. Nice balance of hops upfront, from there a nice kick of charred/roasted tastes, then balancing out with smooth malt finish.

M- Nice frothy feeling, very drinkable.

O- I am not a humongous stout fan, but this one performs quite well in my books. (505 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%

Let me start by saying North Coast is one of my favorite breweries, and Old Raspy is one of my favorite beers for good reason. At just $7.99/ 4pk, it's easily the most affordable and available RIS I've ever found.

A- Black black black, opaque with a thick, creamy mocha head that I just can't take my eyes off of.

S- Roasted malts take over; heavy coffee notes, chocolate.

T- God, I love stouts, and this is a beautiful explanation of why. Bitter dark chocolate, vanilla, coffee, and a hint of smoke. It's chewy and thick, yet dangerously drinkable at 9% ABV.

Be careful. Rasputin is a clever monk, and he'll creep up on you before you anticipate it. (657 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured in a non-descript glass used to hold beverages.

This is the kind of Imperial Stout I can see being sent from England to Russia across the North Sea. It is a typical heavy stout with an obvious level of alcohol in it. It has a great warming feeling and is not meant to be drunk in a quick fashion. This stout may be beyond some peoples taste capabilites or understanding of why there is an Imperial Stout.

A really good beer that is meant to be enjoyed over time. (471 characters)

A-Pitch black pout that is thick out of the bottle with a two finger head that is dark khaki.
S-Nose is coffe and semi sweet chocolate
T-Hint of dark chocolate and roasted malts with a slight hop undertone to add bitterness
M-thick with little effervesecence
O-Pretty good. I would take a couple others over this if I were stranded on an island, but all in all pretty good. (373 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2013/14 Old Rasputin (No date on bottle or packaging, but it looks pretty new) 12oz, Opened on 1/22/14 and poured into a snifter.

A - Pours black like dark chocolate and forms a nice dark tan head. Head dissipates fairly quickly though. Beer is dark, dark black and not see through. When held up to the light you can barely see through the outermost rim. What you can see through looks like burnt wood with just a hint of brown.

S - First smell i get is this raspberry jam kind of smell followed by the roasted malt and a whole lot of chocolate. Also a strong alcohol presence cuts through. Maybe a little burnt toast in there as well. But i burned toast in my house about an hour ago so it might be coming from that.

T - Right away i get the awesome roasted malt flavor followed up by heavy amounts of dark chocolate. I also get some fig and date flavors when i take a nice big sip. A bit of coffee bitterness on the finish with an alcohol heat that creeps up the throat. Mmmm!

M - Nice and creamy texture with a good amount of carbonation. Coats the mouth well but doesn't feel syrupy. I prefer a little less carbonation in my darker beers otherwise it is great.

O - Delicious as always. I love the strong bitterness i get from the coffee and dark chocolate and the mild alcohol warmth that comes on at the end. It isn't too intense, but just right. One of my favorite RIS. I get it every year around my birthday to cellar so i can do a nice vertical on my bday. This beer is both delicious fresh, and aged for a couple years. (1,533 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thick velvety smooth mouth feel. Hits of chocolate, coffee and dark malt. Slightly more bitter for a stout than what I was expecting, but an excellent beer. (158 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Given my handle on BA, I figured I ought to review this fine beer.

I could not in good conscience give an all 5 rating for the simple fact that *nothing* is perfect and without room for improvement. But to be perfectly honest, I can not find anything wrong with this beer.

This pours a deep brown that under normal light appears black (opaque), held up to light though, you should see a nice reddish-brown tint at the bottom edges in particular.

The head is a somewhat thin layer of dark tan foam made up of larger sized bubbles (as opposed to say a tightly packed head of a Guinness Draught, for example). In the glass in front of me, the head eventually settles to a small desert island in the middle of a black sea - with a thin ring around the edge of the glass.

I have a hard time describing tastes and smells, but I'll try my best here. The aroma is a pleasant fruity, sweet smell, and I'm pretty sure I smell chocolate or even coffee in there too. The taste is about the same as the aroma, only with the taste of alcohol in there. But for a higher alcohol content beer, I'm still surprised as to how subtle it is. I have to agree with the last reviewer on the aftertaste, it has a bitterness to it that is not unlike coffee - so if you enjoy a cup of joe every so often, as I do, I would think you might enjoy this.

The mouthfeel is fairly unique - it's a sharp feeling, but it's not a bad or burning sensation. I would think it might have something to do with carbonation, but there is a relatively small head, so I'm honestly not sure on this one...

As for drinkability, this is a beer with a lot of flavor and body, so as long as I drink it slowly and deliberately, it's very drinkable.

Anyways, if you are a fan of darker beers, stouts, porters, etc, I would say poney up the cash and buy a 4-pack of this, you will not regret it. If you are not much into the style, I would say this is the king of (relatively) available Imperial Stouts (well, in my opinion, perhaps it shares that title with Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout), so why not sample the best of the style? (2,098 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

this is the first and i would say best imperial stout i have ever had.i just cracked another tonight and it never disapoints.
black as all heck apperance with a nice smokey smell.very smooth considering the alcohol content.what else can i say but,its yummy! (258 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

It was difficult for me to figure out the "drinkability" score on this one. On one hand, it's not the kind of beer that I can see myself having every day, as it's a bit on the strong side, flavor-wise. On the other hand, when I'm in the mood for one, it's perfect. That's the trick I guess - being in the mood for one.

That said, this beer almost looks syrupy when you pour it into a glass. You definitely notice a distinct mouthfeel with it, as it's smooth and creamy.

The high alchohol content is not that noticeable, but this is the kind of beer that hits you from your tongue all the way up to the bridge of your nose.

For me, the perfect time for this beer is at night while I'm settling down and watching TV. It usually takes me about an hour to get through, as it's not the sort of thing that I could - or even want to - just pound down. (853 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Great Beer. Served in traditional pint glass.
Nice style appropriate dark garnet color. Perfect carbonation.. not too much or too little. Nice roasted grainy aroma. This is a pleasantly robust beer. Great blend of flavors.. nutty or woody come to mind. Some hints of chocolate, and a roasted coffe.
It has a fairly dry finish. I rate this one highly drinkable. I am wishing that I had one more. (397 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Dark, slightly ruby red around the fringes. Small head for me, but i doubt i was using the right glass as i do not have alot of proper ones to use anyway. Dark taste, slight choclate taste, espeically in the head. The 9% ABV is hidden very well, and is not noticeable upon consumption. Moouthfeel is milky and frothy, and sloshing the liquid within your oral cavity causes the chocolate taste to come out a lot more, almost like a dessert. Coffe and nut flavours are apparent as well.

This was one of the first real stouts i have had that i enjoyed. Drinkability i only rated slightly above average, as the taste is really strong and the beer leaves your mouth with a slight dry feeling.

Good bargain for the price, definitely filling but not overtly so (mayube i have room enough for a second? No Doubt!)

Dora thhe Explorer could not make a better find. (866 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

A very, very good beer. Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass

A: Upon pouring I was very impressed. Jet black with a solid 1.5 inch tan head with great lacing...very sticky.

S: Smell was quite good, fairly strong espresso aromas with hints of chocolate in there as well.

T: This is what really set me off. Exceptional taste. Very strong espresso flavor. I would have to say that, for me, this was the strongest flavored stouts I have tried thus far. Very impressed

M: Quite a smooth beer. Goes down very easy. Not much "bite" at all for such a strong flavor.

D: I will most definately be enjoying this beer in the near future. I hope this will persuade others to give this very good stout a chance.

Cheers (733 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

(Bottle) The" pop" sound from the bottle cap is very inviting and calming; there is carbonation! Some haze rising from the bottleneck seconds after. The pour is dark brown with some mahogany notes as well as a dark reddish hint. In the glass, the beer looks darn black. On top of everything, you get a one finger high, medium brown head. The first thing that hits you ones you sniff the beer is a massive, 50/50 blend of dark caramel and deluxe-ish, dark creamy chocolate. Higher, more burned tones of blackcurrant/tar-like liquorice, bitter cocoa, deep caramelized brown sugar and black coffee beans/aromatic espresso. The hop profile in this beer is becoming more extreme for every year. I have stored this beer for more then one year and the aroma hops is still full of citric/grapefruity and resiny notes. The alcohol is also impressive; not too sharp nor too aggressive, it just adds more elegance to the nose. A light dark fruitiness is lurking in the background. The roast is dry and the caramel is sweet - just perfect. The flavour is a mix of elegant roasted and burned malts with tones of dark chocolate, dark caramel, black coffee/espresso, liquorice, tar and asphalt. The hops bring obvious notes of citrus and resin, but there is also some room for earth and grass. The mouthfeel is round, smooth and light silky with a soft, easy carbonation. A dark fruity touch of prunes and dry raisins. The aftertaste is noting less the stellar with a touch of citrus, dry coffee/cocoa roast and a light sweet port hint. Medium to full bodied. This beer is has a perfect malt profile. The hops a bit too tart, still fantastic! (1,627 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Great Beer. A
This is a strong beer and about 9% packs a punch.
It has a very good taste. Rich, bitter and sweet well balanced.
Its worth its high price and one of my favorite beers. I wish more stores carried it.
If you havent tried it and love dark stouts this one is for you. (278 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Poured from bottle to glass. Smells choclatey. Rich black opaque appearance. Nice head that rings around the glass until the last sip. Nice bite at first but balanced with smooth mouthfeel. Nice chocolate malt aftertaste lingers. This beer is really put together well. I wish I were more versed in beer reviews, but I'm not, and can't possibly describe the other complexities contained within this one beer. There's a lot of good stuff goin on. (444 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer had an amazing jet-black appearance with a reddish head that just never quit! I couldn't believe the head was not brown/black to match the beer but had a definite red hue. The beer had a wonderful coffee like aroma but that drew me in but didn't knock me off my feet when compared to its other attributes.

The taste just blew me away. An amazing toasted malty sweetness on the nose with espresso, dark chocolate and maybe, just maybe a touch or raisin or caramelized sugar in the middle with a slight alcohol taste in the finish to let you know this beer packed a punch. The mouth feel was exceptional, best beer I've ever had (with Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout a close 2nd) in this category. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy. I didn't think a beer could be this creamy without the addition of oatmeal, but North Coast did it somehow.

Drinkability...I can drink this beer each and every winter night! Obviously b/c of the dark malt and heavy/creamy mouthfeel, this is not a summer (think 90F and 70% RH) beer. But on those cold Northern NY nights, this work of art will chase those winter blues away! (1,116 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

This is my first review here, and I am a relative beer novice (I used to prefer wine). That was until I had my first taste of Old Rasputin. This beer has introduced me to the wonderful complexity and taste of craft beers.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass, it appears pitch black. A wonderful, toffee colored head develops about two finger widths thick, and dissipates into a creamy top that lingers to the last drop.

Smells of chocolate and malt. Taste is much of the same with a slight hazelnutty, biscutty taste in there as well. Not much in the way of hops, but I prefer the malt taste anyway.

Mouthfeel is medium, definitely not thin, but not syrupy either. Just right imo. You don't really notice the alcohol so much in the taste, but it sneaks up on you a little bit and leaves you with a nice warm relaxed feeling. (839 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

At first I heard many good reviews on this wonderul beer and never had the chance until now. I am glad I had the chance to taste this great drink. From begining to end this is a smooth and rich in flavorful beer. The taste of the hops and fruit flavors were a mouthful but not as a punch to the gut but pleasent like. (317 characters)

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.