Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial StoutOld Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,511 | Hads: 11,235
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2013/14 Old Rasputin (No date on bottle or packaging, but it looks pretty new) 12oz, Opened on 1/22/14 and poured into a snifter.

A - Pours black like dark chocolate and forms a nice dark tan head. Head dissipates fairly quickly though. Beer is dark, dark black and not see through. When held up to the light you can barely see through the outermost rim. What you can see through looks like burnt wood with just a hint of brown.

S - First smell i get is this raspberry jam kind of smell followed by the roasted malt and a whole lot of chocolate. Also a strong alcohol presence cuts through. Maybe a little burnt toast in there as well. But i burned toast in my house about an hour ago so it might be coming from that.

T - Right away i get the awesome roasted malt flavor followed up by heavy amounts of dark chocolate. I also get some fig and date flavors when i take a nice big sip. A bit of coffee bitterness on the finish with an alcohol heat that creeps up the throat. Mmmm!

M - Nice and creamy texture with a good amount of carbonation. Coats the mouth well but doesn't feel syrupy. I prefer a little less carbonation in my darker beers otherwise it is great.

O - Delicious as always. I love the strong bitterness i get from the coffee and dark chocolate and the mild alcohol warmth that comes on at the end. It isn't too intense, but just right. One of my favorite RIS. I get it every year around my birthday to cellar so i can do a nice vertical on my bday. This beer is both delicious fresh, and aged for a couple years. (1,533 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thick velvety smooth mouth feel. Hits of chocolate, coffee and dark malt. Slightly more bitter for a stout than what I was expecting, but an excellent beer. (158 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Given my handle on BA, I figured I ought to review this fine beer.

I could not in good conscience give an all 5 rating for the simple fact that *nothing* is perfect and without room for improvement. But to be perfectly honest, I can not find anything wrong with this beer.

This pours a deep brown that under normal light appears black (opaque), held up to light though, you should see a nice reddish-brown tint at the bottom edges in particular.

The head is a somewhat thin layer of dark tan foam made up of larger sized bubbles (as opposed to say a tightly packed head of a Guinness Draught, for example). In the glass in front of me, the head eventually settles to a small desert island in the middle of a black sea - with a thin ring around the edge of the glass.

I have a hard time describing tastes and smells, but I'll try my best here. The aroma is a pleasant fruity, sweet smell, and I'm pretty sure I smell chocolate or even coffee in there too. The taste is about the same as the aroma, only with the taste of alcohol in there. But for a higher alcohol content beer, I'm still surprised as to how subtle it is. I have to agree with the last reviewer on the aftertaste, it has a bitterness to it that is not unlike coffee - so if you enjoy a cup of joe every so often, as I do, I would think you might enjoy this.

The mouthfeel is fairly unique - it's a sharp feeling, but it's not a bad or burning sensation. I would think it might have something to do with carbonation, but there is a relatively small head, so I'm honestly not sure on this one...

As for drinkability, this is a beer with a lot of flavor and body, so as long as I drink it slowly and deliberately, it's very drinkable.

Anyways, if you are a fan of darker beers, stouts, porters, etc, I would say poney up the cash and buy a 4-pack of this, you will not regret it. If you are not much into the style, I would say this is the king of (relatively) available Imperial Stouts (well, in my opinion, perhaps it shares that title with Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout), so why not sample the best of the style? (2,098 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

this is the first and i would say best imperial stout i have ever had.i just cracked another tonight and it never disapoints.
black as all heck apperance with a nice smokey smell.very smooth considering the alcohol content.what else can i say but,its yummy! (258 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

It was difficult for me to figure out the "drinkability" score on this one. On one hand, it's not the kind of beer that I can see myself having every day, as it's a bit on the strong side, flavor-wise. On the other hand, when I'm in the mood for one, it's perfect. That's the trick I guess - being in the mood for one.

That said, this beer almost looks syrupy when you pour it into a glass. You definitely notice a distinct mouthfeel with it, as it's smooth and creamy.

The high alchohol content is not that noticeable, but this is the kind of beer that hits you from your tongue all the way up to the bridge of your nose.

For me, the perfect time for this beer is at night while I'm settling down and watching TV. It usually takes me about an hour to get through, as it's not the sort of thing that I could - or even want to - just pound down. (853 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Great Beer. Served in traditional pint glass.
Nice style appropriate dark garnet color. Perfect carbonation.. not too much or too little. Nice roasted grainy aroma. This is a pleasantly robust beer. Great blend of flavors.. nutty or woody come to mind. Some hints of chocolate, and a roasted coffe.
It has a fairly dry finish. I rate this one highly drinkable. I am wishing that I had one more. (397 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Dark, slightly ruby red around the fringes. Small head for me, but i doubt i was using the right glass as i do not have alot of proper ones to use anyway. Dark taste, slight choclate taste, espeically in the head. The 9% ABV is hidden very well, and is not noticeable upon consumption. Moouthfeel is milky and frothy, and sloshing the liquid within your oral cavity causes the chocolate taste to come out a lot more, almost like a dessert. Coffe and nut flavours are apparent as well.

This was one of the first real stouts i have had that i enjoyed. Drinkability i only rated slightly above average, as the taste is really strong and the beer leaves your mouth with a slight dry feeling.

Good bargain for the price, definitely filling but not overtly so (mayube i have room enough for a second? No Doubt!)

Dora thhe Explorer could not make a better find. (866 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

A very, very good beer. Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass

A: Upon pouring I was very impressed. Jet black with a solid 1.5 inch tan head with great lacing...very sticky.

S: Smell was quite good, fairly strong espresso aromas with hints of chocolate in there as well.

T: This is what really set me off. Exceptional taste. Very strong espresso flavor. I would have to say that, for me, this was the strongest flavored stouts I have tried thus far. Very impressed

M: Quite a smooth beer. Goes down very easy. Not much "bite" at all for such a strong flavor.

D: I will most definately be enjoying this beer in the near future. I hope this will persuade others to give this very good stout a chance.

Cheers (733 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

(Bottle) The" pop" sound from the bottle cap is very inviting and calming; there is carbonation! Some haze rising from the bottleneck seconds after. The pour is dark brown with some mahogany notes as well as a dark reddish hint. In the glass, the beer looks darn black. On top of everything, you get a one finger high, medium brown head. The first thing that hits you ones you sniff the beer is a massive, 50/50 blend of dark caramel and deluxe-ish, dark creamy chocolate. Higher, more burned tones of blackcurrant/tar-like liquorice, bitter cocoa, deep caramelized brown sugar and black coffee beans/aromatic espresso. The hop profile in this beer is becoming more extreme for every year. I have stored this beer for more then one year and the aroma hops is still full of citric/grapefruity and resiny notes. The alcohol is also impressive; not too sharp nor too aggressive, it just adds more elegance to the nose. A light dark fruitiness is lurking in the background. The roast is dry and the caramel is sweet - just perfect. The flavour is a mix of elegant roasted and burned malts with tones of dark chocolate, dark caramel, black coffee/espresso, liquorice, tar and asphalt. The hops bring obvious notes of citrus and resin, but there is also some room for earth and grass. The mouthfeel is round, smooth and light silky with a soft, easy carbonation. A dark fruity touch of prunes and dry raisins. The aftertaste is noting less the stellar with a touch of citrus, dry coffee/cocoa roast and a light sweet port hint. Medium to full bodied. This beer is has a perfect malt profile. The hops a bit too tart, still fantastic! (1,627 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Great Beer. A
This is a strong beer and about 9% packs a punch.
It has a very good taste. Rich, bitter and sweet well balanced.
Its worth its high price and one of my favorite beers. I wish more stores carried it.
If you havent tried it and love dark stouts this one is for you. (278 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Poured from bottle to glass. Smells choclatey. Rich black opaque appearance. Nice head that rings around the glass until the last sip. Nice bite at first but balanced with smooth mouthfeel. Nice chocolate malt aftertaste lingers. This beer is really put together well. I wish I were more versed in beer reviews, but I'm not, and can't possibly describe the other complexities contained within this one beer. There's a lot of good stuff goin on. (444 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer had an amazing jet-black appearance with a reddish head that just never quit! I couldn't believe the head was not brown/black to match the beer but had a definite red hue. The beer had a wonderful coffee like aroma but that drew me in but didn't knock me off my feet when compared to its other attributes.

The taste just blew me away. An amazing toasted malty sweetness on the nose with espresso, dark chocolate and maybe, just maybe a touch or raisin or caramelized sugar in the middle with a slight alcohol taste in the finish to let you know this beer packed a punch. The mouth feel was exceptional, best beer I've ever had (with Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout a close 2nd) in this category. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy. I didn't think a beer could be this creamy without the addition of oatmeal, but North Coast did it somehow.

Drinkability...I can drink this beer each and every winter night! Obviously b/c of the dark malt and heavy/creamy mouthfeel, this is not a summer (think 90F and 70% RH) beer. But on those cold Northern NY nights, this work of art will chase those winter blues away! (1,116 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

This is my first review here, and I am a relative beer novice (I used to prefer wine). That was until I had my first taste of Old Rasputin. This beer has introduced me to the wonderful complexity and taste of craft beers.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass, it appears pitch black. A wonderful, toffee colored head develops about two finger widths thick, and dissipates into a creamy top that lingers to the last drop.

Smells of chocolate and malt. Taste is much of the same with a slight hazelnutty, biscutty taste in there as well. Not much in the way of hops, but I prefer the malt taste anyway.

Mouthfeel is medium, definitely not thin, but not syrupy either. Just right imo. You don't really notice the alcohol so much in the taste, but it sneaks up on you a little bit and leaves you with a nice warm relaxed feeling. (839 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

At first I heard many good reviews on this wonderul beer and never had the chance until now. I am glad I had the chance to taste this great drink. From begining to end this is a smooth and rich in flavorful beer. The taste of the hops and fruit flavors were a mouthful but not as a punch to the gut but pleasent like. (317 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%

A- This brew is BLACK. I don't think it's possible to get much of any light through it. Poured a dark, syrup like brown with slightly thinner consistency. The head is something to be admired. A dark cream color. Very thick. Soft, creamy texture. Once you take a drink, it's not exactly going anywhere, either.

S- Can definitely smell the roasted tones, as well as what seems like some lighter, woody/nutty tones. Definitely has hints of the higher alcohol content present.

T- A wonderful mix of roasted maltiness, a touch of nut, and a bit of sweetness (akin to a dark chocolate) after swallowing, but before the aftertaste fully kicks in. Aftertaste retains the roast, yet has a hint of what feels like a touch of hopiness.

M- Very smooth, yet lacks the "creamy" the head had suggested. Carbonation has been kept low, but feels like it's at just the right level to add a comfortable bite. Has some characteristic weight, but nothing excessive.

D- As others have said, this is not a session brew simply because of the alcohol content. The four pack it comes in is sufficient for 2 people to enjoy without losing sight of the high points of the beer. If I ever see this on tap, rest assured I will be buying a round for anyone with me. (1,239 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Obtained my 4-pack based on a friends suggestion. So glad I heeded it. Filled my pint glass with over an inch of head, took quite awhile to pour, increasing the anticipation.

A - Deep black with a slight tint of amber. A foamy tan head that makes this beer look like an inverted oil spill. I love that my wife cringes when I drink it because she can't imagine consuming something so menacing.

S - Dark chocolatey, the kind I would normally steer clear of in solid form, but always smells great. Also it's got the morning roasted coffe scent going. And finally a hint of smokiness.

T - As with the smell, strong chocolate followed by the coffee finish. A bitterness that's welcoming.

M - Smooth and full. Not the thickess as one would assume from the look, but enough that your mouth is coated after a few drinks and you can continue to swallow air and it tastes like your still drinking the beer. Near Perfect.

D - I expected a moderatley slow drink, but surprisingly the 9.0 ABV doesn't stand out. I find myself sadened that in the time it took to write the review I seem to have finished the beer. This 4-pack could go very quickly indeed. (1,146 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into Newcastle pint glass.

Appearance: Very black. 1 finger tan head reduces relatively quickly.

Smell: First thing I get is chocolate, followed by some coffee and roasted caramel malt.

Taste: Awesome. Just like the smell: chocolate, coffee, roasted malts. Alcohol comes through at the very end but is mostly hidden.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium body, very smooth.

Drinkability: Very good beer overall. Great balance, especially with so much going on here. Will definitely be buying this again. (531 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

black as the devils backside, this russian imperial stout is freaking delicious. light hazelnut top with a distinct chocolate flavor accompanied by a rich coffee aroma. interesting how both the coffee and chocolate are in balance with eachother, while maintaining their boundries. delicious (290 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Creamy tan head with a couple fingers of volume. Black brown in colour like when midnight closes it's eyes.

Smells of fruity hops, dark chocolate, and coffee.

Tastes like black licorice that goes from subtly sweet to agressively bitter. Dark chocolate is around before the bitterness takes over. Nice lacing that thins to almost nothing as it drys.

Mouth feel is subtle then quickly errupts into an effervescent coating which follows the sweet to strong bitter profile.

Get this beer and drink it. Strong alcohol, black colour, and formidable bitterness are all staples of this style. F**k yeah. (601 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finding a 4-pack of this covered in dust at a local package store was like winning the lottery.

A - Dark brown, with little carbonation, maybe a quarter-inch head.
S - Huge and lingering on the nose. Toffee, cocoa, espresso.
T - The nose paid off in the taste -- sweet but complex; the coffee didn't overwhelm.
M - A little chewy; not syrupy.
O - This is the best stout I've had in a while -- I found myself wanting to spend more time decoding the various scents. I'd stock up on this -- if you can find it. (513 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +7.7%

In a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a stunning obsidian black. Mocha colored, one finger head that dissipates quickly leaving just a ring of foam and minimal lacing. Beautiful beer.

Smell: Coffee and dark malts. Some fruit scents that remind me of red wine. Also a bit of a sour, acidic smell right at the end (maybe the alcohol?).

Taste: Espresso, bold roast (almost burnt) flavor, bitterness balanced by warm chocolate flavors. The 9% ABV is apparent without being overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Heavy body paired with med-high carbonation makes this beer creamy and satisfying. Taste and carbonation linger in the mouth.

Overall: My first imperial stout so I don't have much to compare it to, but this beer is outstanding no matter how you look at it. (749 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Darkest eggplant. Beautiful. Deep. Smooth. Had to take a picture, for the case this was some lucky strike.

S - man... tons of different smells, but very elegant. Slightly hoppy, nuts, slightly roasted malt

T - exactly what you would expect from a Stout. Again, elegancy is the word. Very reach, decently bitter aftertaste, roasted coffee beans, deep malts. Rich, dark, and yet - not aggressive.

M - did I mention elegancy yet....?

Overall - awesome. Stouts are not my cup of roasted coffee, but this one is must have option in my cabinet, for winter night, standalone drink, when you feel like a little taste of the dark side.
Can`t wait to try this one off the tap! (675 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Thick, oily, and pitch black. Exactly what I'm looking for in an Imperial Stout. The head isn't as dark as I would like, coming in at a light tan color, but it sticks around in a pleasant ring all the way to the end. The lacing is to die for. Like spiders made sweet webby love in my glass.

Smell: Huge chocolate notes, mostly dark with a little bit of milk chocolate thrown in. Roasty, with a nutty warmth. Slight touch of alcohol

Taste: Lots of warmth from the alcohol. Roast, coffee bitterness. A different bitter note right as you swallow, like a black tea that has steeped too long. The nuttyness returns to sit on your tongue after each sip.

Mouthfeel: Thick, just the way it should be. The carbonation gives it a lively zip right at the end to keep things exciting.

Overall: This has quickly become my go to Imperial Stout. This is my first beer from North Coast, but if Old Rasputin is any indication, I will happily be buying more from them in the future. (4.25) (990 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I do not enjoy Stouts, but this is close to a perfect example of an Imperial Stout. Chocolate, Coffee, Nuttiness, and bitterness close to 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate. Creamy feel in the mouth. It is smooth with a bite. If you enjoy Stouts this is for you. Try it with Oysters. If you are like me and do not like stouts, just eat the oysters. (338 characters)

A - black as night with a 1 finger tan head. Beautiful lacing lasting the whole beer through.

S - roasty with chocolate, caramel

T - on the bitter side with no bite from the alcohol, extremely rounded stout. Nice roasts and definite caramel and chocolate hints. Balanced.

M - creamy just a bit bitter.

O - this is now one of my go to stouts. Very balanced, dangerously drinkable. (383 characters)

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.