Old Rasputin XII - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin XIIOld Rasputin XII

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: Tdizzle on 06-28-2009

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

This is my 200th review. Cork & Caged 500ml bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada balloon tulip.

Appearance- Midnight black with a one finger tan head. Lacing doesn't stick around very long. 4.5/5

Smell- Boozy dark chocolate and coffee. 4.5/5

Taste- Smooth dark chocolate. Holy crap this is good. Boozy coffee. Kind of like coffee with Baileys in it. A lot of Baileys. Bits of vanilla as well. Some tobacco and leather as it warms. 5/5

Mouthfeel- Creamy and full. Coats your mouth but not so thick that it sticks everywhere. Goes down nice and smooth 4.5/5

Overall- Damn this is good. Part of me is upset that I opened it. I don't want it to be gone. I will savor each sip, though. It is almost perfectly melded together. This would be too boozy fresh and too sweet in another year or so. If you have one, drink it now! 5/5 (826 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -26.2%

Looks dead. Woody and bourbony aroma, with wood spoiling the mood. Disappointing aroma. The taste is quite acidic, with bourbon, oak and vanilla; and slight roast in the finish.

Body is rather thin and therefore the beer seems overcarbonated even though there was no head whatsoever. Certainly not worth the 25 dollars a pint price it sells (or sold) for.

3, 2, 4, 3, 3 (372 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Acquired through purchase at a local beverage shop in Dallas, TX. What a find! Poured into a snifter glass. Pours opaque oil black with a medium brown head that slowly recedes to a thin, nice even layer of lacing that lasts well throughout. The nose is super dark and toasted with a ton of dark chocolate, milk chocolate syrup, molasses, coffee, and toasted, lightly nutty, bourbon oak. The flavor is mild dark chocolate with underlying coffee, roasted oak, vanilla, and bourbon. The body is full and creamy with light carbonation and a nice chocolate, roasted coffee, and oaky vanilla bourbon finish. My only regret was sharing this bottle with someone else! (659 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Presentation: Corked and caged two year old bottle that has been stored in my cellar. Poured into a Cigar City tulip glass and enjoyed chilled.

Appearance: Black, dark brown in color. A slight, beige head that recedes into a thin lacing.

Aroma: Bourbon, oak, caramel and chocolate. Very barrel forward despite the age of the bottle. A good amount of heat from the bourbon and booze. Any hop and espresso notes are now almost gone.

Taste: Bourbon, dark chocolate, and caramel. Good balance of sweet and bitter. A bit of light coffee and molasses. Really nice barrel notes and good balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not overly full for the style. Light, smooth carbonation.

Overall, a really nicely aged, barrel forward stout. Bourbon and cocoa notes weave together nicely and create a nice profile. This is drinking fantastically now. (839 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

I bought this back when I worked up at La Bodega in Anchorage, AK. If you want to go to a beer store with a damn good variety and overly knowledgeable staff then go there. I believe this was $18 a bottle. That didn't stop two guys from coming in and buying four cases and paying IN CASH. Crazy guys... Anyway, so I had this baby aging for over two years until I drank it on Christmas day (2011). I love Old Rasputin, as I'm sure everyone does, and I was very interested in knowing how it would taste, being bourbon barrel-aged and not being opened for over 730 days. Also, the last aged stout I had was a year old Abyss that rocked my socks off, so I was very much excited to see how Old Rasputin would change after aging.

The stout pours out almost jet black (Does anyone know what that actually means?) but when held up to the light you can see a slight amount of dark browness on the edges of the glass. It looks like pouring out oil almost. Unlike the regular Razzy, this 2+ year old didn't form a large head, nor take a long time to form it. The head did look good, though, it being mocha-colored and extra creamy.

Wow, it smells great. The bourbon barrel aging comes out a lot. It smells very much like bourbon with lots of booziness, almost like wine. Mmm...the oak is strong too, giving it some spiciness. Roastiness comes from cocoa and coffee, and sweetness comes from a burnt molasses and brown sugar smell. Dark fruits like figs, which I have to say I had some recently and I love them, raisins, and plum. The XII has a strong smell and it leaves no doubt that it's bourbon barrel-aged.

The taste is very much like the smell. Strong bourbon booze is up front that warms you up, but the alcohol, even with it being 11.2%, doesn't overpower. There's some bitterness from hops but it's not nearly as hoppy as a regular Old Rasputin. Chocolate and coffee roastiness gives it more body and those flavors definitely linger long after drinking it.

The two years of aging I gave this made it exceptionally smooth. It's also very creamy but there's enough carbonation to not make it feel flat at all. Again, I think the aging changed it a lot because it doesn't have as heavy of a body as I expect a Razzy to have, though that's not necessarily a negative. It's not watery at all. It's just so damn drinkable for a beer with that much flavor and high ABV.

Although I very much enjoyed the XII, I don't know if I liked it as much as the regular Old Rasputin, although I haven't had one of those in months. It has great flavors and is a delight to drink, because it's so damn smooth and drinkable, but it lost a lot of the hoppiness and in-your-face flavors that I expect and want from an RIS. Don't get me wrong, though. This beer was damn good. If I ever got this anniversary beer again I'd try aging it just a year to see if that would better balance what I want from a regular Old Rasputin (robust, intensely flavorful, hoppy, and heavy) and what I want from aging (smoother, more complex flavors). (3,008 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

1020th Review on BA
Bottle to Snifter
500 ML C/C

Thanks to Hoppyheaven for having one for me this year!!

App- A crimson/dark chocolate pour with very little no light running through this one. A nice dark brown one finger head fell rather quickly but left a couple whispy lines of cling behind and a soft edge of bubbles.

Smell- A whispy phenolic booze note at first and then the burn of the bourbon comes in. As it warms, the oak and char comes in with some roast and some milk chocolate. Had this a few years ago and remember more vanilla but this smells quite nice.

Taste- A really well done and layered bourbon barrel stout. This was one of the first barrel treated beers I ever had. This is a bit creamy with a bit of booze behind it. The bourbon comes next and a little bit of a grainular coffee, espresso, chocolate not fills out the flavors.

Mouth- A good bit of a low to medium body with a prickly medium carbonation. A bit more booze is on the residual flavor combination of the roast and oak with just a pinch of chocolate on the lasting flavors.

Drink- Like I said above, one of my 1st BBA Stouts and I had to come back to it while sitting at home with a 3 month pregnant wife and a 5 year old daughter now. I am very glad I found another bottle from HoppyHeaven. A well layered beer with some great depth. I would love to have one more XII, but I now have a XIV to open in May for my 30th. Until then! (1,420 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 1 pt 0.9 fl oz bottle into a Westvleteren chalice.

Appearance: Oily black. One of the few beers that I can remember that is actually black. No dark brown highlights around the edges, just black. Two fingers worth of chocolate milk colored head appears, then fades to a very thin layer which lasts throughout the drink. The head is made up of very tightly packed small bubbles.

Smell: Heavy on the toasted malts. Very rich. A little bit of molasses and then some lactic sweetness. Finishes with a huge hit of bourbon, which really comes out as it warms. I enjoyed the aroma out of the fridge, loved the aroma after it warmed to room temperature.

Taste: Lightly toasted malts, and then more malts, and then more malts. Very rich and delicious. A touch of bittersweet chocolate with some alcohol burn leads to a touch of bitterness at the end of the swallow. It says bourbon barrel aged on the label, but the bourbon is only a very nice compliment, not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Rich, smooth, and creamy. Big body with light carbonation. This is a thick one, it almost coats your mouth while drinking. Viscous, not chewy, excellent consistancy

Overall: For being extremely rich, creamy, bourbon barrel aged, and a high alcohol level, this beer is almost too easy to drink. Flavors are great, carbonation is great, one of the best looking beers I have seen in a while. Overall, one world class beer. (1,413 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Pours a creamy tan head with nice retention. Gobs of creaminess stick to the side of the glass as the head falls. The beer is an dark opaque blackness.

S - Upon the first whiff the whiskey aroma fills the nose. After the initial waft vanilla and oak notes are apparent. In the background soft chocolate and coffee aromas struggle to the forefront.

M - Smooth and creamy and full in body. Low-medium carbonation.

T - The whiskey flavor is strong in this one and carries on throughout the taste. The vanilla and oak from the aroma make an appearance, although the chocolate and coffee flavors are mostly lost to the whiskey. Very soft chocolate notes show up near the finish, but that's about it.

Even with a couple years of age on this beer, it still has a strong whiskey flavor. If you are a fan of spirited-forward beers, this one is for you. I enjoyed it, but wished the whiskey would side step and allow more of the chocolate and coffee flavors to showcase themselves. (979 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

After 2 1/2 years in the bottle this beer is still drinking very well. Pours black with very little head at this point, but still nicely carbonated (which is more than I can say for the 2 year old Bourbon aged Santa's little helper I opened before it). Definitely a nice viscosity in the pour. Still nice bourbon notes in the aroma, with some vanilla, caramel, licorice, and bitter chocolate. Similar tastes, with quite a nice big bourbon finish. Relatively dry. It's definitely very integrated, but still very bourbony. Nice. (526 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

taste- toast, biscuits, alcohol, bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt

color- deep brown/black

clarity- pours oily and clear but is opaque in the glass

smell- lots of chocolate and bourbon, sweet dark chocolate at the end of the nose, alcohol

body- medium body and length finish. lots of compact hop bite on the sides of the tongue, dries the palate and draws your tongue to the top of your mouth

appearance- coffee drink, dirty cocoa-colored head, nice lace, mild active carbonation in the glass

overall impression- good beer, still drinking nice but probably wouldn't put too much more time on it unless you like less than exciting feedback

notes and comments- can feel the heat from the alcohol in the first taste...hop bite at the front of the mouth

beer spy- north coast brewing company, fort bragg ca, 2011, 500mL

glassware: tulip (843 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Rasputin XII, poured into a tasting glass.

A: Black opaque body; decent, darker tan head that I can work up with a vigorous swirl. Pretty good lace and retention for a barrel-aged beer.

S: Prominent vanilla, toasted coconut, oak & other woody phenols, earth, chocolate, booze, higher astringency (soy character), light coffee bitterness. Definitely bourbon-y.

T: Good chocolate notes to accompany all of the nice bourbon cask notes. Vanilla, oak, and light alcohol heat (pleasant, though) here as well, with some earthy bitterness and charred wood.

MF: Significant body, but cut by the alcohol. Creamy and smooth.

O: Surprised at how much the bourbon comes through after more than two years. Its a sipper but quite enjoyable. (730 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -9.8%

I had this as my dessert beer for Thanksgiving and I'm working off the notes taken while eating the apple pie that this beer completely overwhelmed. I expected that though.

After removing the basket and pulling the cork, I grabbed my Old Rasputin imperial stout glass and poured the near-black fluid and was rewarded a thick, dense head that had very nice retention. Hard to get better than this.

It smelled more of bourbon than of beer, which goes against how I feel bourbon barrel aging should be utilized. It should work in balance, blending with the other, more typical, imp stout flavors. Those typical flavors are here in the smell and the taste (cocoa, roast, coffee), but hidden. The coffee is stronger in the taste and as the beer warms the booziness eases a little, allowing more of those flavors to come forward. But before you get to that point it's almost as if they poured bourbon straight into the beer rather than letting the flavors leech in from the wood.

This is one thick and flavorful stout. If and when they do it again, they should strive to tone down the bourbon. If they do that I'd be a major fan. Despite my rant on the bourbon level in this, I still really enjoyed it. (1,200 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Found a lucky bottle at a low key spot in Vancouver, WA.

appearance - murky and dark, tan head with incredible retention and lacing

smell - big aromas of whiskey, vanilla, oak, cocoa

taste - chocolate and roasty with a touch of bourbon/whiskey, complex and full flavored

mouthfeel - big mouthfeel, smooth, viscous, some warmth

overall - was a really lucky find and i'm glad i had a chance to try this prize, a great sipping beer that is well executed (455 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle

Pour It Black
Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA

(Aged for 2 years)

Black as can be with a surprisingly sized, even persistent brown head. The beer eventually leaves spiderwebs of sticky lace all over the glass. Perfect.

A rich, earthy aroma with lots of bourbon upfront: vanilla, earth, wood, a bit of stinging alcohol; along with a thorough and complete balance of roasted malt, dark espresso coffee, along with some sweeter chocolate notes. Very nice.

The flavor is just as complete and enjoyable as the aroma. The sweet and bitter chocolate and coffee elements play a larger role, with the bourbon as more of an accent or accompanying role. Very little alcohol harshness. Incredibly drinkable.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. This wasn't quite as thick and luscious as I hoped for.

All in all, an absolutely terrific barrel-aged stout. (859 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%

When I first saw this (Old Rasputin XII) floating around the local beer shops, I knew this was something special - special enough to snap up at least a case of it.

I sadly only have three bottles of it left, sitting in my aging closet - but age it does (and quite well!) The flavor of the last bottle I had was quite complex, and well balanced.

It is everything I like about imperial stouts, but to the Nth degree. (417 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Pitch black, fully opaque, and more carbonated than expected. Head is a ruddy tan color - almost rust-like in appearance. No visible sediment or haze.

S: Toasted coconut, caramel, maple candy, toffee, toasted almonds, milk chocolate, dates, molasses, turbinado sugar. Basically, it's filled with deliciousy goodness.

T: Much sweeter on the initial taste and aftertaste than I was expecting. Molasses, tons of alcohol heat, some hints of coconut in the aftertaste. Some aspirin-like bitterness. Caramel and coconut became more prevalent as it warmed.

M: Much thinner than I'd imagined. And fairly ample carbonation.

O: Definitely has a bit of the classic Old Rasputin flavors in the base, but oak and bourbon dominate this brew. Very hot, and oddly thin makes me think it needs some more years in the cellar. (818 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3%

500 ml bottle. I got it at Beer Run long ago. It still has the $20.99 sticker on it. I think they were selling them for $30 last time I was there.

Appearance: It looks pretty damn beautiful. Pitch black and totally opaque. Dark brown head with a few minutes of retention. The lacing is absolutely ridiculous-- thick and sticky as glue.

Smell: Smells a wonderful mix of rich, sweet chocolate cake and vanilla-bourbon. Mostly sweet with little roastiness, but very, very inviting.

Taste: I'm shocked that this beer still tastes as hot as it does. Its obviously soaked up quite a bit of bourbon. Still big time melted candy bar chocolate sweetness, but served with a shot of bourbon-- not in a bad way, since I like bourbon, but more than I expected. Finish is sweeter, with chocolate, vanilla, and coffee.

Mouthfeel: Its a bit thin really. No loss of carbonation over the last couple of years. Feel is medium at best for a big RIS, finishes on the dry side, due to the big boubon hit.

Overall: Even though its not the most complex RIS, and I think it has a bit too much bourbon sting, overall it seems to be one of the most choco-vanilla delicious RISs I've had in a while. Is it worth $20.99? No. Half that. It is damn good though. (1,235 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Enjoyed at the Bavarian Lodge.

Appearance – Pours a dark black into a glass with mocha colored head that dissipates quickly leaving little lacing.

Smell – Sweet bourbon, cocoa, roasted malts, and coffee.

Taste – Compared to the regular Old Rasputin, this is sweeter, though not cloying. The bourbon is not in your face, but is a nice subdued flavor there the entire sip. Vanilla, cocoa and dark chocolate, literally no coffee (if any), and sweet malts.

Mouthfeel – Thinner than I was expecting, though I did enjoy the moderate carbonation – it kept it light and enjoyable to drink.

Overall – A solid RIS and glad I have another in the cellar. (659 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -19.4%

Salvaged from the back of a dusty shelf and poured into my Duvel tulip. Reviewed from notes.

An audible pour, like olive oil coming out of a clay urn. Black, with some clear ruby around the edges. A two-finger dark brown head with medium bubbles and excellent retention leaves just medium lacing. As an odd aside, I'll mention that this bottle was really quite heavy, and the almost completely opaque glass composing it was very thick.

Room-filling aroma. Bourbon, oak and vanilla abound. But the base beer still plays a major part in the smell. There are very clear dark fruits and molasses. The different elements seem to have settled very nicely.

Curiously, the taste seems quite subdued. All of the elements of an awesome, -bal aged stout are there. Chocolate, wood, and dark fruits are definitely present. There's not too much booze, just the barrel presence without much heat. But strangely enough, all of the flavors seem muted and watered down, almost like a much smaller stout.

The mouthfeel is quite nice initially, thick and chewy. But there's also a slightly off, chalky sensation that comes through after a little while. That lingering gritty feeling isn't too pleasant.

I think this may have seen better days, though it's holding up fine now. I hesitate to mention the price, but... yikes. (1,309 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14%

On-tap at Bavarian Lodge

A- Dark brown, near black. Light tan 1 finger head with moderate lacing.

S- Dark roasted malts, chocolate, slight coffee, and some bourbon.

T- Roasted malts dominate this beer with bitter chocolate and some coffee also present. Bourbon taste is very muted. Oak is fairly noticeable.

M- Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Very creamy and smooth. Similar to a bigger milk stout.

O- Was really looking forward to trying this at Bavarian Lodge, but was disappointed. Maybe the age took away from the bourbon aroma and taste characteristics. Glad I tried it though. (594 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3%

thanks to mrandypandy for this bottle in a trade!

Appearance: Brownish black bodied stout with a one and a half finger, medium brown head.

Smell: Man this beer smells really sweet; almost smells too sweet. Huge malt and whiskey notes hit the nose right away. Lots of dark fruit(prune and fig), lots of oak, brown sugar, toffee, and caramel.

Taste: Whiskey upfront. Moderately roasty coffee and bakers chocolate. Man this beer really has a strong oak notes present. Mild whiskey bite and burn that seems pleasant enough to keep things interesting. A mild sour aftertaste with a little roasty bitterness finish out the beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with carbonation levels at the high end of low; almost medium carbonation levels. The carbonation is fairly lively for a barrel aged stout, but it seems to work well in this beer. This beer is fairly smooth and easy drinking for a barrel aged stout.

Overall: I have always been a fan of Old Rasputin. I am now a fan of Old Rasputin that gets the barrel treatment. Its nothing mind blowing, but man its a solid beer for sure! Really oaky beer with nice barrel notes that add complexity to this beer. Its enjoyable. (1,173 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

22 oz. bottle graciously shared by ThomasHardy in line at the CBS release. Small pour into my Deschutes snifter.

A: Pours a straight black with dark brown edges and no real head or lace.

S: Very light bourbon and oak with a little choolate and roasted malt backbone.

T: This really shined for me. A wonderful chocolately sweetness with a nice light oak. The bourbon isn't to hot at all and mixed with the vanilla from the barrel it gives this even more of a sweetness that I love. Roasted malts throughout the taste keep this sweetness in check.

M: Heavy, but not heavy. Medium carbonation and a great vanilla and chocolate sweetness left on the palate.

O: This was not too hot for me and the sweetness from the barrel and chocolate were great. Would love to have again. (775 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -23.6%

Black pour, not much beyond a thin tan ring of head, although it did make an interesting clumpiness alongside the edge of the glass. Big huge bourbon, chocolate and alcohol aroma oozing and burning the nose. Damn, this guy is hot.

Sure enough, damn hot on the tase. This is such a great beer by itself, putting it into a bourbon barrel undercuts the chocolatelyness I love so much in regular old rasputin. Alcohol permeates this thing. Astringent alcohol feel. Everything else is secondary, be it coffee, chocolate, or even the bourbon. Instead of bourbon or imperial stout, you just taste hot hot heat.

If I get more bottles of these bourbon rasputins, I will definitely not open them for at least a few years. The XI was much better, but even then, I still like just normal always available regular rasputin more.

Drank @ March Madness 2011 party. (853 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured into small delirium tremens tulip.

Pours out a deep dark brown/black with a nice (2 fingers) tan head that settles into a thick ring.

Smell is a bit odd, but good. Complex - dark fruit and molasses combine with piney hops, and subtle bourbon aging. Somehow the combination ends up a bit salty - reminisent of soy sauce. Sweet, alcoholic, bourbony, delicious soy sauce.

Taste is great - super smooth. Bourbon is present in every sip, but not hot or overpowering. The barrel aging is subtle and adds a lovely complexity to the beer. Notes of vanilla combine with molasses and chocolaty sweetness before being somewhat balanced by a bit of hop bitterness.

Feel - well carbonated, but a bit thin (for a stout). It's nearly porter like in consistency.

Overall, a pretty good beer, but overpriced ($22 for 500ml). The soy sauce in the aroma prevents it from being excellent. (880 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Vintage '09

A: Pours a jet black with 1 finger of fine laced, khaki colored head that dissipates quickly and leaves behind a subtle foam like in a cappuccino. I'm honestly surprised that there was any head at all. Tight lacing clings to the side of the glass and quickly vanishes.

N: Huge sweet bourbon notes, dark chocolate, espresso, rich toffee, vanilla, pecans and molasses. There is a slight booziness but it is extremely pleasant.

T: Ultra-smooth bourbon, vanilla and dark chocolate upfront. This is followed by smooth espresso, toffee, rum soaked cherries, pecans and dark chocolate. The bourbon also makes an appearance again. Finishes with creamy vanilla, dark chocolate and espresso notes.

M: Medium-full bodied, warming, creamy, incredibly smooth and surprisingly clean with only a subtle stickiness.

O: This bottle cost me $17.99 for a 16.9oz bottle in NJ and it was worth every penny. What little alcohol presence is there is very pleasant. Incredibly rich and creamy. Bourbon and vanilla come through beautifully with any oakiness which is surprising. This is a true gem! All the richest flavors you'd expect from a bourbon barrel aged RIS without a single harshness. Magnificent! (1,199 characters)

Old Rasputin XII from North Coast Brewing Co.