Grand Cru - North Coast Brewing Co.

Grand CruGrand Cru

good

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  12.90% ABV

Beer added by: nbree00 on 07-22-2011

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
2.55/5  rDev -27.8%

500ml bottle split into 2 glasses

A: Looks like... apple juice. Just a little bit of head left after an initial 1 finger amount. No lace, just some brief oily presence with each swirl

S: When I first opened this, I commented on how it smelled somewhat like champagne. Some sweet fruit notes, similar to pears. I struggled to find any vanilla here. Touch of alcohol

T: Pale, crisp malts. Pepper like spice. Overly sweet, probably from the agave, with some belgian yeast characteristics. What is this? Are we sure this is barrel aged? I'm confused

M: Light, bubbly. Slightly dry finish

M: Definitely disappointed with this one. Not a drain pour, but I was close at first. There are basically no signs this was in a barrel and the sweetness from agave is a bit much. Spend your money elsewhere (795 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -49%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

500mL corked and caged bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a golden apricot color. Produced a giant 4+ finger fluffy head with surprisingly good retention and lace despite it being 12.9%.

(S)- A little strange. Lots of pear and that sweet agave nectar fruit profile. Bits of a sweaty gym sock yeast. On the background finish is an oaky bourbon character. All together, it almost smells like marinara sauce somehow as it warms up.

(T)- Just like the smell. A sickly sweet fruit note in front of some kind of marinara sauce meets an oaky muddy yeast. This is borderline gross; drain pour.

(M)- A good carbonation level, though thats the only good thing I can see. Very sweet and has lots of vegetable notes and a bizarre yeast. Finishes boozy.

(D)- This looked great, though quickly turned to an abomination in my opinion. It tastes like vegetables and a very strange muddled yeast. This needs to go back to the drawing board unless my bottle is completely off or an infection of some kind. (998 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a light golden, effervescent color with a half inch of head. Looks decent and smells a bit funky with some light lemon notes, bourbon barrels and some Belgian yeast. There are some additional fruit notes - grapefruit and mellon - at the tail end. Taste is quite different though, with a very sweet, bourbon and agave mixture that is highly carbonated. The beer is very heavy with alcohol, to the point of seeming more like a strong mixed drink than beer. Overall, its a decent beer and worth trying, but doubtful that I'll look for any additional bottles. (561 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%

Big thanks goes out to beermeX2 for sharing this one during the ORF '11 release! Served from bottle into a sampler snifter. Poured golden yellow with a two finger off-white head that subsided to none very slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, banana, and alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, banana, sweet alcohol, and wood. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. This one really feel short on what I was hoping for/expecting. This brew just seemed a little one-dimensional to me and lacked complexity that I typically get from other brewery's Grand Crus. Not horrible, but not great either. (697 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +20.1%

On tap at Bier Academy in Canyon Country, CA.

Pours a murky honey orange with a 1/2 inch off-white head that fades to nothing. Absolutely zero lacing on this one. Smell is of spices, yeast, citrus, and a slight sour funk. Taste is of spices, minor Belgian yeast, citrus, cane sugar, and some slight funky flavors. There is a noticeable alcohol burn in the throat with each sip as well. A high level of carbonation with a crisp, bubbly, and slightly sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer that is very tasty. I really liked the complex flavors, especially with the subdued Belgian yeast that let other tastes come out. (631 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -11.9%

Bourbon barrel aged beer brewed with Agave nectar, worth a shot.

The pour is nothing like what I expected. Super carbonated and effervescent. Clear golden yellow body capped by a towering fizzy bone white head. The head recedes is relative short order, spotty lacing left clinging to the glass.

This beer continues to.... well confuse me? I simply have not had anything like it. The agave nectar is prominent. The Belgian yeast strain comes into play just behind. Very sugary sweet aroma. The barrel contributions are relatively low. Does it smell like a BSPA should? Maybe, I just am thrown off by this beer all together.

Do I even need to say it? The flavor continues the weirdness of this beer. Strong sweetness up from. There is a little bit of a tart citrus flavor up front. The agave is there once again, blends well with the initial sweetness. Belgian yeast picks up mid palate, though is a bit subdued. Soft phenols lay on the tongue. The barrel presence is seemingly missing again. To be honest, it kinda tastes like a Red Bull.

The body checks in somewhere between light and medium. Carbonation is a bit high, does not really do the beer many favors. The finish is surprisingly dry despite the sweetness.

Just a down right strange beer. I applaud North Coast for experimenting and trying something new, I just have no idea what to think of this beer. NC Grand Cru does not fit a style, I think I would prefer it if I did not think of it as a beer. Worth a try, I do not think I will be picking it up again. (1,522 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +2%

Into a footed tulip glass, it pours a bright straw gold, with a thin layer of white foam on top. Spotty arcs of lacing remain, sticking to the walls of the glass.

If you've ever had pulque, or pure agave blanco tequila, maybe you know what agave tastes like. Tart and fruity, a little bit green, some vanilla from the barrel, and a lick of residual sweetness.

Flavors are similarly fruity and vinous with tart white grapes, somewhat vegetal agave nectar, and a smooth, buttery feel. Some barrel nuance as well, vanilla sweetness and mild oak woodiness. Body is light and somewhat thin, detracting slightly from the overall character. Sippable, not something to take lightly, and best shared. Thanks Jay for sharing! (719 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

On Tap

Blue Palms 3rd Anniversary Party
Blue Palms BrewHouse
Los Angeles, CA

Clear gold and yellow with a thin white head. Spotted, messy lacing down the glass.

Exceptionally sweet aroma: apple juice, pears, lemon, and alcohol.

Flavor follows the aroma, and it's not particularly pleasant. The beer is exceptionally sweet: lots of candied, sugary apples, pears, some lemon, some Belgian yeast tartness, perhaps some vanilla--and then more alcohol. Fairly unpleasant. Though those flavors don't sound terrible when listed, as a beer it just becomes a syrupy, sweet, boozy error.

Medium mouthfeel with relatively low carbonation.

A sweet, boozy, syrupy mess. (664 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Consumed at Blue Palms 3rd Anniversary event in Hollywood, CA.

Exceptionally clear (almost like a pilsener!) with a white head a finger thick.

Delicious smell: mild pepper, sweet pears, melonoidins.

Flavor is complex and unexpected: again pears, juicy white grapes, a dash of wood-style bitterness, a fleeting dash of powdery Belgian yeast. Interesting that I got no bubblegum aroma or flavor, as others who had the same beer from the same keg have noted it.

Mouthfeel is unremarkable: medium bodied with low carbonation.

Absolutely delicious and there is NO TRACE of the nearly 13% alcohol. A real winner. (611 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -7.6%

On-tap at Blue Palms

A: The beer pours a lightly hazed golden amber color with a white head.

S: Nose opens up with sweet toffee and candi sugar. There are some sweet fruits such as pears, oranges, and apples. A ton of bubblegum and cotton candy.

T: The beer tastes primarily of cotton candy with a fair amount of bubblegum. Heavy on the sugar, plus brown sugar and toffee. There might be a bit of bread. Really, though, just very sweet.

M: Almost syrupy with a medium carbonation.

O: Cloying, sugary, and not something I'd care to have again. (547 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%

On-tap at Beachwood I,

A: Pours a medium gold with a firm white head leaving some good lace.

S: Loads of pears and booze, some honey and banana.

T: Banana and pear, quite estery with a lot of booze and sweet malt. A substantial big beer.

M: Full-bodied, with some solvent character, fizzy carbonation at times.

O: This is a beer that needs to be put into a hole in the ground and not touched for at least 4 years. It's awkward in its infancy and needs to coalesce. Something that could be really interesting come 2015, but right now it's all over the place. (562 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%

Corked bottle poured into a Duvel tulip:
A: straw golden pour yields a one-head that disappears immediately, no lacing, no ring, nothing remains
S: fresh fruits, with apples and pears, some sweetness, muted otherwise
T: spicy, clean with apple, banana, and bready malt, but tart
M: highly, highly carbonated, don't notice much alcohol, but only small sips possible due to the bubbly, tingly burn on the tongue
O: Very interesting, this is a very heavy bottle when empty. I thought there were a few ounces left. Probably a deterrent to some due to the price. I liked this though and would seek it out again. (606 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +19%

500ml corked and caged bottle served in a Blvd. Tank 7 tulip. Poured a pale gold with a couple of fingers of white head. Interesting aroma, the bourbon is subtle also some fruit. Lots of carbonation. Medium bodied. A little hot. More fruit, some Belgian spice. Oak and bourbon come through a little more in the finish. I really liked this, the barrel was not overpowering and very integrated. Very easy drinking for the abv. There's a lot going on here. (453 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Had this on tap at Congregation Alehouse in Long Beach. Was I drinking a different beer? Glad I didn't read the reviews before getting it.

Color is a pale golden. No head at all. Some light lacing/foam action is left on the glass. Nothing exciting here. The smell I couldn't quite detect because my allergies were bugging me, but it did smell sweet.

I thought it tasted fantastic. Other reviewers have mentioned an apple or cidery taste, but I didn't get that at all. I tasted vanilla. The bourbon notes were very slight. I could detect some booziness but it definitely wasn't hot like a bourbon barrel stout. It was sweet but not cloyingly sweet.

Mouthfeel was pretty decent for such a big beer. Almost 13%? Felt lighter than that.

Overall, this beer seems to be a pretty mixed bag of tricks depending on where/how you get it and what your own personal tastes are. Grab a drink and you be the judge. (905 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -36.8%

A: Straw colored and extremely bright though its head is very fleeting wait, wait. Now its gone. It used to be white and didn't leave much of a trace behind it.

S: Agave honey is there for sure as is the oak. I'm not sure that I like my tequila in my bourbon ... Also I'm getting honey and buttered popcorn.

T: Diacetyl has splooged all over the freaking place. Buttered mothafukin popcorn son. I'm talking buttered popcorn flavored jelly bellys. Sickening. This is like drinking a concentrated tin of Christmas popcorn after the cheddar cheese has been eaten (leaving only buttered and caramel popcorn and were talking mostly buttered). Agave honey notes find their way in as an afterthought as well as some orchard fruit. If this was aged for any length of time in bourbon barrels the barrels must have been used for something other than bourbon before this beer was aged in them because it is devoid of a bourbon barrels memory.

M: butter baby

O: This was less expensive then I thought it was going to be and with good reason. It is still too much money. They should bottle this in clear bottles and stock it next to Mickeys fine malt liquor. A horrible follow up to bourbon barrel aged old stock. This is a massive fail. (1,229 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Pours a deep golden color with one finger head that diminishes but never goes away completely.

S: Strong Belgian yeast aroma with hints of grape/raisin. I really didn't get any bourbon barrel aroma.

T: I couldn't have guessed this is nearly 13%. They really balanced the malt and alcohol taste well. I can only imagine the amount of malt they had to put in it! The taste fades from light malt to green apples. Finishes with an alcohol kick which disappears quickly.

M: Much lighter mouthfeel than I was expecting, which I attribute to the carbonation. Alcohol content also keeps this potentially heavy beer feeling light on your tongue

O: This is a solid beer, I'd definitely try again if not for the price. I could hardly tell this was barrel aged, which is a big disappointment considering that's one of its selling points. It was a fun try with some friends sharing the cost, but I'd just reach for a Duvel next time. (928 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Like the previous 2 reviewers have stated, I had high expectations with this beer knowing North Coast's track record but I was also let down but every beer can't be a winner.

A: Pours a golden color with little head. Little bubbles rising to the top is a good sign.

S: Smells of apple, pear, tart things.

T: More apples, and tart things. Makes my mouth pucker a little. Is this a beer or a champagne? certainly has the characteristics of champagne with the fruit notes and the alcohol content.

MF: Like I said earlier I get a lot of tart, sour notes. Makes my mouth pucker a little. Not something you'd expect from a beer unless it's a sour. I swear I'm drinking champagne and not beer.

O: I was expecting bigger things from this but it is still drinkable for me just not something I'd get again unless it was on sale. The high ABV is hidden pretty well with all the fruit/sour notes. (889 characters)

A-Clear light amber with an inch of fizzy white head. Reduces quickly, leaving spotty lacing. Not as dark as I expected, considering this is supposed to be a grand cru.

S-Blunt, unappealingly one dimensional bourbon oak. Smells sweet, a bit tart. Not terribly complex.

T/M-This is a mess. Tons of bourbon flavor, but not enough body to support it. Drinks more like a middle of the road Belgian blonde than a grand cru. If you were to throw Leffe in a bourbon barrel for a few weeks, you might get something similar to this. Finish is harsh and dry, with a lingering booziness.

O-I expected great things, considering North Coast's track record for barrel aged beers. Guess they can't all be winners. (701 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Pours a golden honey color, really a lot lighter in color than I expected. Looks more like an imperial pilsner than a grand cru.

S: Aromas are some what promising with notes of citrus, melon, bubble gum, banana, and a hint of yellow cake.

T: This is where the beer losses me. A little bit apple cidery for me with nowhere near enough complexity and a very thin texture. Flavors of green apples, bubble gum, agave nectar, and fennel. Has an off flavor in the finish.

M: Gotta say for an oak aged beer the texture is virtually non-existant, very thin and just not memorable.

O: Overall I'm disappointed in this beer, it's definitely not bad or undrinkable, just very simple and not the least bit compelling. (720 characters)

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Grand Cru from North Coast Brewing Co.