Old Rasputin XIV Anniversary - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin XIV AnniversaryOld Rasputin XIV Anniversary

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: doughanson78 on 12-04-2011)

InyanEagleElk, Jan 16, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours jet black with a thick tan head that fades slowly and leaves walls of dark lace.

The aroma is full of coffee, dark chocolate and licorice with dark notes of over ripe plum, leather and vanilla hints. Oak and bourbon shine with coconut hints. Balsamic notes.

Flavor is just as complex as the aroma. Coffee, chocolate, leather, and licorice dominate with dark fruit notes, smoke, coconut and vanilla. Sweet bourbon and oak enwrap all of this. Nice toffee notes througout. Charcoal notes, somewhat ashy.

Rich, thick, vicious and warming

Complex, rich, delicious

JayS2629, Jan 15, 2012

InebriatedJoker, Jan 15, 2012

11millsown113, Jan 15, 2012

SLUGLIFE, Jan 15, 2012

BubbaBeerMan, Jan 15, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured aggressively into a 20 oz giant Duvel tulip glass. Pours pitck black, with a huge 5 inch fluffy mocha head, that takes its tome settling with a good amount of lace, especially for its massive ABV. Smell is bourbon, dark chocolate, strong coffee, and leather. Taste is big bourbon up front, with the dark chocolate and coffee lingering in the finish. Body is large, but not over the top. Perfect amount of life for its size, not as dry as you might expect, and it is a sipper, but because of its complexity it goes faster than it should. This is the best beer I have ever purchased in N.H. The other beers in this league, I either purchased in another state or online. N.H has come along way in my 21 months on BA.

SawDog505, Jan 15, 2012

BroTucker, Jan 14, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 500 ml bottle into Stella Artois Chalice.

Pours almost pitch black with just a hint of dark mahogany near the edges. Thin bubbled 1/2" dark tan head that dissipated quickly leaving behind nice lacing.

Take whiff....lots of chocolate, roasted coffee, bourbon begins to show as the beer warms, oak, vanilla, coconut cream pie, dark brown sugar. I actually prefer the nose a bit better before it warms and all the booze starts to show. Either way...it's a very nice smelling beer with lots going on.

The taste is outstanding! Bitter chocolate and black coffee bracketed by coconut, molasses, slight earthiness, bourbon. Nice bitter hop finish with a little alcohol heat in the back of your throat.

The mouthfeel is like a thick black velvet blanket wrapped in little bubbles of co2. Medium to full bodied with near perfect carbonation.

After drinking this beer I am in my happy place. Not because of the 11.5% abv...but because this beer is one of the best I've tried in a while. I am a big fan of barrel aged imperial stouts and this one may be my new number #1. If it wasn't for the $20 bottle price I could drink this every night after work.

BeerOnTheWall, Jan 14, 2012

mjmadsen21, Jan 13, 2012

kif, Jan 12, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my Deschutes tulip glass...

A - This one pours pretty much black, with a thick, creamy 2 finger light brown head. Spotty lacing.

S - I got a whiff as soon as I popped the cork from this one! Bourbon and chocolate, smells delicious.

T/M - The smell doesn't fail my mouth. Big bourbon flavor that holds on to my tongue. There is a little bit of heat, but I feel that it adds to the bourbon complexity. Almost gives it a slight peppery taste. Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I would've preferred.

O - I very well put together bourbon barrel stout, but still a little hot. I'm glad I was able to get my hands on 2 of these so I can revisit this in a year or two. Price tag is a little steep tho, just had to throw that in there.

Rizalini, Jan 12, 2012

cirtap, Jan 11, 2012
4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Pours a jet black with no visible light shining through. A creamy tan head forms that dissipates to a thin white rim with legs forming on the tulip glass.

S: chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, dark fruits, vinous, boozy. a great balance between chocolate, vanilla and bourbon.

T: milk chocolate, dark fruits, vanilla, raisins,

M: creamy, full body, not chewy, easy drinking doesnt have the mouthfeel of a 11% beer.
O: barrel aging mellowed out the aggresive hops in reg rasp. even balance between stout and bourbon. My guess would be that this beer is not 100% barrel aged, as it does not have the overwhelming bourbon aromas that can easily get carried away in bourbon aged stouts. nice be

xraided81, Jan 11, 2012

Ohiovania, Jan 11, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Picked up a bottle of this at Rozi's Wine House around Christmas. Enjoyed it with my brother, who is a big time Old Rasputin fan, as a Christmas gift of sorts (i.e. didn't charge him $10 to split it!).

Poured from 500ml cork & cage bottle into GLBC snifter.

Appearance: Absolutely pitch black body. No light shall pass through this ale. A finger's worth of dark mocha tan head sits prettily atop the beer. Very little carbonation is apparent in the body. Surprisingly little lacing is left behind on the glass after drinking. 4.25

Smell: Intense bourbon, vanilla and chocolate waft into my nose. The wood aging of this beer is very apparent. My brother and I think that this could almost pass for bourbon on a blind smelling! I can feel the whiskey in my nose. rich. 4.75

Taste: Wow - so much bourbon! Very creamy, chock full of vanilla and rich dark chocolate. Bits of coffee are latent in the mix. Of course the main thrust of the attack is bourbon. The taste is very rich and decadent - awesome! A mild alcohol bite and the bitterness of the standard Old Rasputin are present amidst the rich flavors of the roasty malt and bourbon. Coffee and vanilla dominate the aftertaste. The harshness that the bourbon presents mellows out as the beer warms. I wonder what this baby would taste like in a year. 5

Mouthfeel: This is one thick, creamy, sticky stout. The bitterness is a bit subdued compared to standard Rasputin but still present enough to roughen the mouthfeel. According to my limited judgment, this could perhaps still use a few months of sitting, but it's still nice. 4.5

Overall: BBA Old Rasputin XIV is one of the best BBA stouts I have ever had. The richness of the bourbon aging, with a creamy body and medium bitterness makes for, outside the ABV, a highly drinkable beer. Wish I had the funds to purchase a bottle to age. 4.75

mwill7287, Jan 11, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

Purchased for 23.49, I really still can’t figure out why I did it. I guess because I only had the XII with a lot of age and really wanted to see what this was like with some heat. I’m crazy, nuff said.

Pours a huge pillowy head with very good lacing for this style (would be average to poor for say a double IPA to compare). The body is dark and thick, but not the oily lacing or alcohol legs you’d get with say a bourbon county stout.

Bourbon, caramel, almost a buttery finish with a lot of chocolate and some hints of fruity hop bitterness. I never thought highly of the XII from a flavor or aroma stand point, but the complexity is truly world class and the same here.

A very hard beer to place. Cocoa nibs, a lot of vanilla, bitter flavors from hops, and hints of bourbon. This beer is completely different from the non-barrel beer, but while there is certainly a good barrel aged effect I really feel like I’m drinking a different base beer as well. Oak oddly does not really jump out and the woody flavors seem a bit foreign to me and I’ve had more than my share of bourbon and bourbon barrel beers.

There’s a bit of heat here, but it never is overpowering. I don’t see more than 6 months of age being needed to mellow this for those not fond of that, and for those who enjoy a bit of bourbon heat, drink fast! There beer is very well carbonated making it easy to drink and enjoy. I like a bit more body and thickness in these stouts than I think this beer has, but the carbonation MORE than makes up for it.

This is a very very good beer with a price tag that is beyond absurd. I really cannot understand why I couldn’t just not buy this one. I’m taking off points here because of value. This beer is worth a steep price tag…I’d have no issue with a dollar an oz, but this is just silly. Add in the bottle is freaking thicker than hell. Guys, think about the planet when you put beer into 10 pound bottles!

bobhits, Jan 11, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -19%

JupiterJesus, Jan 09, 2012

THECPJ, Jan 09, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -19%

DividedAvery, Jan 09, 2012

Egor1020, Jan 09, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -32.2%

Poured into a snifter. I got this for $19.99, which despite being on the cheaper end for this brew, is still a horrible price.

4.0 A: Black color. Two fingers of creamy/frothy tan head. Retention is about average, but glass coating lacing is left.

3.0 S: Like the regular, this is very faint in aroma. Light chocolate with a very soft roastiness. Surprisingly, not even the bourbon stands out. Booze is well hidden.

2.5 T: Boring to the point that it's maddening. Very light chocolate, very light roastiness, and even lighter coffee. Bourbon is light and adds light leather and earth notes. A little bit of astringency from the barrel. Booze is in check again, but is more discernible than in the nose.

4.0 M: This is easily the best part of the brew. Medium to heavier medium body. Good carbonation, but might be a tad high. Very nice creaminess on this, especially for the body.

3.0 D: I made several posts before this was released ripping on people who were planning on buying it. Well, like a dumbass hypocrite, I bought a bottle myself. I saw the good early reviews then a case of "curiousity killed the wallet" took me over. Turns out I was spot on with my prediction. A boring beer was put into a barrel and a boring barrel aged beer emerged.

DavoleBomb, Jan 08, 2012

phenry, Jan 08, 2012

daedalusfinch, Jan 08, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +10%

Poured from 500 ml corked bottle into a Surly Darkness Chalice glass.

Appearance: Pours very dark and black with no real color coming through. A big five finger brownish tan head which slowly settles into a thin tan film layer. Lots of sticky lacing around the glass.

Smell: Big bourbon aroma upfront with good hints of woody oak and vanilla. Big hints of chocolate and dark roasted malts with some coffee and molasses. Also some dark fruits lingering in the background with light hints of prunes and dark cherry. Somewhat boozy as expected.

Taste: Like the nose suggests, a big taste of bourbon barrel aging and dark malts. Good taste of vanilla and oak with dark roasty caramel malts. Notes of chocolate, coffee, and molasses. Also some light hints of dark cherries and prunes that should come out more with some age. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with a carbonation that is fairly high for a imperial stout, but it works well. A little heat is felt from the alcohol as expected with a barrel aged bomb like this but its very manageable. Vanilla lingers in the aftertaste.

Overall: A very good job of barrel aging for a great stout. A great sipper.

MattyG85, Jan 08, 2012
Old Rasputin XIV Anniversary from North Coast Brewing Co.