Old Rasputin XV Anniversary Barrel Aged Stout - North Coast Brewing Co.

Old Rasputin XV Anniversary Barrel Aged StoutOld Rasputin XV Anniversary Barrel Aged Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.90% ABV

Beer added by: Philousa on 12-05-2012

Reviews by adamette:
4.16/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Live review. Poured from the corked and caged 500 ML bottle that I was surprised and delighted to find, for $19.99, at Giant Eagle in Painesville, Ohio. As I stood in the aisle not believing my good fortune I thought, "now this is why I always check the beer aisle!" Anyway, poured into a clean, clear glass.

A Almost completely black body. In front of direct light there are edges of a deep, dark mahogany. The head is a medium to dark brown, 3 inches in height after moderate pour and it sticks around for a full 2 or 3 minutes. As it receded it left a curtain like lacing on the inside of the glass. Very cool look. I did not expect much less. 4.5

S Wonderful Bourbon notes rise up in the front but there is a distant background of dark roast malt. Goodness in a glass. Makes it difficult to record these thoughts without taking a sip. 4.75

T Wow...great tasting beer first off. Secondly, I am struck by just how "bourbonesque" this beer is. I have had something like 10 or 12 bourbon barrel aged stouts and this might be the most bourbon influenced. The bourbon is up front and rather dominates the taste. I don't get nearly as much deep, dark roast malt that I got in straight up Old Rasputin. That is a slight disappointment since Old Raspy is one of my favorite Stouts. I guess that it is my opinion that the best BA Stouts retain much of the dark roast malt goodness but feature the Barrel Aged character as an accompaniment. By contrast, this BA Stout has the bourbon front and center. All of that being said, I have become an "easy mark" for Bourbon Barrel aged beers and so I find it hard to rate them at all badly. With all that in mind I render my rating on the taste of....4.0

M Feel is something of a disspointment. Again, my opinion formed after 10-12 Bourbon BA Stouts is that the best ones have a great silky smoothness. This one, by contrast is a bit thin. Upon the pour, the head suggested that it might have all of the silkiness that I could desire but the actual feel was more thin than that. 3.0

D/O Drinkability is fair. Despite its elevated ABV (nearly at the limit for Ohio BTW) it is entirely drinkable but its price limits me to only one bottle for an evening. Overall this is a great beer. I feel lucky to have been able to try it. Thanks to Giant Eagle for getting it in stock! 4.25

Notes: For my recommendation of a better Barrel Aged Stout: Hoppin' Frog Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher. (2,427 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

look: Deep dark, nearly opaque brown. Some cola highlights barely peek around the edges when held to light. Fairly full mocha head on the pour that mostly recedes, but lingers around the rim.
smell: cocoa, vanilla, and subtle roasty char. Delicate oak and bourbon. Added all up a damn fine and decadent nose.
taste: All the flavors of the nose. Blooms into a rich full taste and the finish is a slightly spicy bitterness.
overall: A work of art. (446 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -4.9%

4.49/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In a tulip glass the beer was black in color with a medium-sized tan head. There was a smattering of lace.

Wonderful aroma. Both dark and sweet chocolate, coffee. A little vanilla. A lot of booze.

The taste personified the aroma. Sweet chocolate/cocoa, dark chocolate. Bitter coffee. Big booze.

This was a full-bodied beer meant to be sipped. The alcohol is right there, but in a complimentary way.

I loved this beer! (421 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Old Rasputin XV Anniversary Barrel Aged Stout from North Coast Brewing Co.