Microbrew Invitational

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Hog Haus Brewing Company
Arkansas, United States | website

Style: American Blonde Ale

Our lightest ale offering, Curly Tail is brewed with pilsner and Vienna malts, and two types of hops. A light and refreshing blonde ale that is slightly fruity with delicate hopping to balance the malt sweetness.

Added by sevineyes on 03-03-2006

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 6
Reviews by akinsja:

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at the brewpub. This was one of my favorites from the Hog Haus, It appeared a clear, light amber and made for a respectable session beer. The flavor was a simple, but tasty, mix of lightly toasted and caramelized malts. There's also a little kick of spicy hops to round this beer out. I imagine it's a pretty agreeable beer in the southern heat.

3.76/5  rDev +4.7%

While looking for a new home last year I drove through Fayetteville, Arkansas and took notes on this one at the local brewery. Off the tap my pint was poured a dark golden color. It was filled all the way to the brim so I got bang for my buck but no head or lacing. The nose was mostly floral hops. The tastes were at first caramel malt but that was quickly cut by the floral hops. Some citric hops showed up as the beer warmed giving it a crisp, dry finish. Creamy mouthfeel and pretty good in general.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Rich and golden with little head and no lacing

S: Light floral aroma

T: Very clean. Slight malty sweetness giving way to a clean end. Some floral aspects to the taste.

M: Dry finish. Very filling in the mouth. Not oily, but has more of a porter creaminess.

D: Very drinkable.

Overall: There are a lot of APAs that I wish were like this. Not to knock the macro-brews, but if they were more like this I'd certainly drink them more frequently. I think APAs get lower scores than other styles on average, but this was pleasant.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Curly Tail Ale from Hog Haus Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.