CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub) visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: drseamus on 01-21-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros

Beezee, Feb 19, 2012

Adamostella, Nov 14, 2011

mhaugo, Dec 11, 2011

videofrog, Nov 19, 2011

MareInfinitus, Dec 06, 2011

I didn’t go to Hawaii for the beer… but I will go back for the beer. Holy crap, did we discover one of the best beers ever made. We actually found it by accident. While on the island of Oahu, we stopped in for a drink at Yard House. I LOVE Yard House, as they have one of the most impressive beer selections of anywhere. Hundreds of beers on tap; not even kidding. One of the beers was the Coconut Porter from the Maui Brewing Company. We were in Hawaii, so why not try a beer from the island?

Now I don’t like coconut… but this beer might change my mind. The beer smells incredible, and tastes even better. Smelling this beer makes me want to take a bath in it. (Is that possible?) The beer is also quite smooth, with a bit of a kick toward the middle of the palate. Then you are hit with a smooth, somewhat sweet aftertaste that just sends you to the next sip.

Having left the island, we figured we could order this back home in the Hoosier state. Wrong… only on the FAR west coast and on the island. The beer is also only served in a can (1000 bottles and a can on the wall?) They have a good reason for only serving in a can, so I won’t hold it against them. It tastes just fine out of the can and just as good on tap. (We ended up going back to Yard House three more times while we were on the island.)

The beer is just so well balanced. I think part of the reason I like it is because I can’t get it here at home. Sheryl actually took a trip to California last year and brought a few four packs home with her. She even grabbed a four pack of their IPA. I have not yet visited the island of Maui, but I can’t wait to go back to Hawaii, if nothing more than this beer. That, and to meet the man who goes by @Hawaii on Twitter! (He doesn’t drink beer, but he comes from the place that produces this sweet nectar of the gods.)

This beer is fantastic. Even if you don’t like porter, give it a chance. You won’t be sorry. And don’t let the coconut part throw you off. I despise coconut, and love this beer. Well done boys… bottoms up!

rickyleepotts, May 21, 2011

ElGallo, Nov 16, 2011

mostfadedone, Aug 16, 2014

rab53, Dec 02, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

WOW! Poured a very dark brown, with a slight amount of tan foam. The smell of sweet coconut and chocolate fill the nose with a pleasant sweet aroma of the tropic's. The taste was the same as the aroma, except the taste of coconut was number one, the semi sweet chocolate was number two, with a slight hint of the roasted malts being number three. I just loved this porter. This will go as one of my favorites and will buy six packs upon six packs next time I visit Maui, next year for sure. Aloha and Mahalo to Maui Brewing Company!

BeerManDan, May 22, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +18.3%

I can get this now that they started distributing it to Southern California. It is about the 4th can of it that I have had and I love this stuff.

It pours a nice very dark brown color with a nice size light brown head that was about 1/2 and inch thick.

The smell is awesome. Smells of hints of coconut, bitter chocolat, and expresso beans.

Taste is exactly as it smells with all the roasted flavours and a good malt base. I wish it had a little more coconut flavour since that was what i was expacting and hoping for because the coconut is very hidden in the background.

Mouthfeel is good and of any other porter but i wish it had a creamier mouthfeel because with the coconut it feels appropriate.

A very good beer none the less and i will drink many more of thease but I just wish it had a little more coconut character (creamyness and flavour) which is why im experementing with homebrew...

PeprSprYoFace, Jun 03, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +18.3%

special thanks to JoshuaGarrett4 for the cali delivery.

A - its pretty beautiful, nice dark color, thick head that might be a little much, but a beautiful lace that lingers for a good while.

S - really great and interesting as well, has coconut and chocolate notes. really nice.

T - really impressive complex tastes, chocolate notes linger long after, coconut on the initial taste was great.

M - little lacking, but everything else makes up for it.

O - pretty solid, would love to find some more of this sometime.

GimmeGumballHead, May 19, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Jenetta, Aug 10, 2014
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pint Glass: Dark brown, 1 finger foam.

S: Cocoa, coconut, roasted malt & a bit of coffee.

T: Bitter chocolate coffee. Liquid almond joy aftertaste.

M: Sweet chocolate coffee notes, very smooth.

D: Have you ever tasted an Almond Joy? That's what this beer tastes like a liquid almond joy. I wish it was a bit stronger but otherwise it is quite delicious. Treat yourself to some! Drink up!

SQUIDPORT, Mar 10, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer has a great brown/black opaque porter color with a robust coffee colored head.
S: Great blend of rich dark malt and toasty rich chocolate aromas. there is also a fantastic aroma of toasted coconut.
T: The overarching flavor is a great roasted malt flavor with a subtle coconut finish. Great complexity of dark malt and rich flavors. The coconut is a great balanced flavor that really adds an interesting twist.
M/O: Great mouthfeel. This is a fantastic porter that adds a great coconut flavor. It's great because its a new twist on a classic beer I like.

pzrhsau, Aug 30, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What can I say, when I saw this at BevMo I bought four 4-packs, without even reading a review. I ended up buying two more 4-packs shortly thereafter. I wanted others to enjoy it, so I traded away about 2 full 4-packs, and pretty much drank the rest. The wife loves it and says I should always keep some in the fridge.

A: dark black, nice light tan head that quickly dissipates

S: Like a sweet porter. Nice caramel, malty sweet with a hint of the coconut.

T: The taste is amazing, it's sweet without overpowering, the coconut is there, but also not overpowering. Tastes MUCH better as it warms, and the flavors enhance substantially. DO NOT drink this straight out of your fridge!

M: It is pretty thick for a porter, almost bordering stoutiness. I like the mouthfeel quite a bit, very good for a canned beer.

D: This is going to be a pretty regular beer around my place. It's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but it's worth keeping a few around to share with others, especially if they are not very beer savvy. It's a great way to start inexperienced drinkers on "dark" beer.

raiser, Aug 24, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +16.8%

I find coconut flavor rather unpleasant, but this beer is wonderful. Pours a half finger of dark caramel head over a pitch black liquid. Fizzy soda pop kind of carbonation. Smells dry. Coffee and delectible coconut. Vanilla. Alcohol is mild and comes across as a bit of spice zing. Perhaps some oily.

Tastes rich caramel. Mounds candy bar without the sticky sweet granulated sugar. Nice and refined richness. Chococlate and dark toffee with just a subtle hint of coconut. Coffee in a rich dark lingering flavor. Coconut carries a berry ester and milky wonderful. Perfect use of coconut in a fantastic sweet dark beer. Touch of nut. Light body which tends to stick, but dry carbonation cleans it away without any hope.

Delicate, yet complex. Truly phenomenal. Add some caramelly oxidation from time in my cellar and this beer would be a masterpiece.

mentor, Dec 01, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +16.3%

CAN you dig it? Hawaiian beer in a CAN! I'm joining the microcanning revolution, among other revolutions ...

"Like hot chicks on the beach", hmmm. I like hot chicks on the beach, but if this were meant as a simile, I am missing the point. It was like a bit of quick-dissipating deep-tan/light-brown head with low retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown which allowed little light to penetrate. Its color made it tough to determine clarity, but it seemed fined. The nose smelled just like chocolate powder (imagine inhaling Quik). Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with a great chocolate taste on the tongue. It was on the finish that the coconut really kicked in. Delicious! This, blended with some Lazy Magnolia Pecan, could be a world-beater with those hot chicks mentioned earlier.

woodychandler, Jul 20, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +16.3%

Can from a trade, but im not sure from who, cause my girlfriend opened all my boxes and didn't remember.

Poured from a can into my pint glass, poured black with a dark brown head that quickly fades away.
Aroma of roasted malt, chocolate , some coconut and earthiness.
Flavor was very smooth, roasty , some chocolate and the smallest amount of coconut in the finish. A very smooth and drinkable beer, i wish it was sold around here, hopefully ill be able to get some more.

gregc, Jun 23, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

First tried this beer at Sone Brewery (Escondido, CA). I was a little skeptical when the CAN was brought to the table, but that feeling quickly disappeared when it was poured into a proper pint glass. Beer looked great with ample head. Loved this beer from the first sip - great coconut/vanilla aroma to accompany the balance of hops. Got better as it warmed (although I didn't give it much chance to do that!).

Encouraged a neighbor to try it a few nights ago, but he didn't care for it (he normally drinks "fizzy yellow beers," so no big surprise!).

This beer is a little pricey, if you can find it in the store (comes in 4-pack cans, ~$11).

If you like porters, I'm betting you'll like this one!

Cheers!

MoBitter, Sep 01, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

A - dark brown - almost black, with 2.5 finger tan head that recedes medium-slowly, looks very inviting, can't wait to indulge

S - chocolate, caramely, nutty, smokey

T - nutty, toffee, chocolate, coffee, coconut

M - medium bodied - decent carbonation, feels smooth, is there alcohol in this? no bite/burn

D - amazing drinkability - have lived in maui for a few years before coming back to NY and I can tell you I cannot get enough, especially at the brewpub. This is a solid beer I can drink gallons upon gallons of!

ekardz, Nov 20, 2010
CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)