2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub) visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: drseamus on 01-21-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 555 | Reviews: 434 | Show All Ratings:
Thorpe429

1.78/5  rDev -55.9%

Pours a deep brown with a tiny bit of a tannish head and not much if any lacing as it goes down. Understandable given the fatty nature of the coconut. Nose is a bit of roasted coconut and some roasted malt. Hints of something semi-astringent and acrid. Taste is quite off. Tastes nearly of stomach acid and is incredibly harsh. Nothing wrong with the can as it was split with a few others who thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't know if it was roasted coconut taken to the extreme or something else, but I could barely swallow the first sip and the second one I couldn't handle. Trying to stay unbiased, the mouthfeel was a bit light, but there wasn't a big issue with it. Drinkability was severely affected by the putrid taste; sorry to say that I really did not enjoy this, a disappointment after having wanted to try it for awhile.

09-29-2010 10:29:55 | More by Thorpe429
blink1371

1.83/5  rDev -54.7%

Pour- I poured into a tall goblet. Poured thick and nicely with a non-aggressive pour.

Appearence-With a non-aggressive pour it produced a very nice 3 finger width, darker tan head. Very dark with reddish tints, and very appealing at first. After a minute or so, the head dissipates and will not come back (even with glass swirling). Lacing is pretty much non-existent.

Smell- If u smell the inside of the can, you can smell a hint of coconuts (almost like a coconut chocolate candy bar). The beer in the glass however, especially after 5 minutes in the glass, has a hint of rubbing alcohol. This is also apparent later in the aftertaste.

Taste- Even though very creamy, it was light to light-medium bodied. Maybe a taste of the roasted barely, coffee and hops, but definitely no coconuts.

Aftertaste- Like I just used Listerine mouthwash. The alcohol taste returned after getting hints of it in the smell. Also, a slight bitterness like in an IPA, as well as coffee.

Conclusion- Very appealing appearance for like 30 seconds and that is the best part of this beer. After a few minutes, there is a non-existent head that will not return (even with glass swirling) .This beer closely resembled a flat soda pop, and tasted like one too. I liked this beer less with each drink. Drinkability very low, unless you like drinking mouthwash.

12-22-2010 07:33:55 | More by blink1371
cbourassa

2.4/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured from a can given to me by a friend

A - The beer appears thick and black, like an ebony milkshake. There is a long head retention. Beer appears to be highly carbonated.

S - I detect roasted malt, chocolate, very faint whiff of coconut.

T - There is a chocolaty taste, but no hop flavor present. Tastes mild without any hint of coconut.

M - It seems to coat the tongue. The carbonation seems to be high for this style. Very unpleasant.

D - I was not impressed. Generally speaking, I would not go out of my way to have another.

09-22-2008 00:51:46 | More by cbourassa
AnavelGato

2.6/5  rDev -35.6%

In a Tulip glass poured out of the can, purchased at Spec’s.

Appearance: black bordering on a dark brown a la Moose Drool, dense-ish head, off white head bordering on beige

Aroma: very little in this department, vague hints of chocolate and a slight nuttiness to it but nothing overwhelming, didn’t really stand out at all

Taste: very earthy, no apparent coconut flavor at all. I have to admit that I really was skeptical about this beer being some sort of beer popsicle artificial coconut nightmare and that I would be disappointed but it turned out to be the opposite, I was disappointed not by the flavor but by the lack of it.

Mouthfeel: creamy bordering on the weak to watery side, nothing to write home about.

Overall: really un-impressed, I had heard a lot of hype about this beer but when push came to shove I was incredibly underwhelmed, honestly the only reason I would pick this up again is for the convenience of canned porter.

07-26-2011 21:57:04 | More by AnavelGato
papollo

Maine

2.85/5  rDev -29.5%

I must admit, this beer was a disappointment to me. I was so excited when I found it and immediately snapped up a 4-pack of 12oz cans ($11.49+).

The familiar cusssh of the pop-top can led to a smell that at first was chocolate/coffee divination, as were the first few sips. Soon, however, the beer started to grow on me in a bad way. It's just too sweet for my tastes, which is odd for me to write because on the whole, I like rich, dark beers.

It kind of reminds me of movie theatre popcorn. When the smell first hits you you're drawn immediately to the snack bar. The first few bites (sips) meet the anticipation generated by the smell. About 5 minutes into it, you start to say to yourself "I should have stopped after the first few mouthfuls."

Sorry, Maui lovers - it looks & smells great, but that's about it for me.

06-24-2009 22:39:25 | More by papollo
david18

2.93/5  rDev -27.5%

Too much Coconut. I've had fruit inspired beers before where the fruit aspect has been much more subtle but in this case the coconut is just too present. It overpowers everything else in the beer. Color is good. Aroma is good, head is good. Once it gets in your mouth however it's too much. Maybe I should try this late at night or early in the morning and I'd feel differently.

12-26-2009 01:46:04 | More by david18
goethean

Received as a gift from beereality.

Has kind of a funny aroma. Definite toasted coconot note, but also a strange funky note.

Grainy, dry full-bodied, muddled, muddy confused complexity. Malty. Slight roasty bitterness. Too many malts? Finish is not crisp.

07-29-2008 02:09:55 | More by goethean
Norfawkers

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

If you like protein shakes, this may be the beer for you...

Appearance: Deep dark brown w/ adequete head

Smell: Tanbark, chocolate

Taste: Bitter, chocolatey, licorice...protein shake

Mouthfeel: Syruppy, lingering finish

Drinkability: A bit sickening after a while, there are certainly much better porters out there

08-16-2009 00:03:28 | More by Norfawkers
StoutHearted

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

This brew poured dark black with a fluffy, light cocoa-colored head that lingers, lacing up the glass. The smell of sweet coconut and licorice is prevalent. The taste is thin and tinny, but has a bit of a hoppy aftertaste that is not unpleasant, but it soon disipates into a bitter finish on the tongue. The mouthfeel leaves little to encourage you to hold it in your mouth. Overall, the beer is drinkable, but not great. The coconut and hops kind of battle each other.

01-22-2009 01:20:52 | More by StoutHearted
SirSketch

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

A - Nearly opaque (a dark mahogany) color. One finger of creamy tan head that disappears quickly.

S - Very robust milk chocolate aroma with pronounce caramel, as well. Smells like some sort of chocolate cake and the coconut makes a nice garnish on top.

T - Roasted grains, milk chocolate, nuttiness from the coconut, dry dirt and deep down some herbal, earthy hops. Not the robust coconut flavor I was expecting.

M/D - Mouthfeel doesn't fill out the way I think it should and the carbonation isn't what it should be. The finish is slightly sweet. Pretty dull beer in general tho :-/

08-29-2010 00:05:32 | More by SirSketch
BeerThursdays

Delaware

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass.

A - Pretty looking beer. Black as night, with a thick cream colored head. Head dissipated quickly leaving a nice thin lace on top and on the glass.

S - Sweet coconut smells with some caramel and dark malts.

T - Eh. Decent flavor. Coconut is present, and there is a slight hoppiness in there. Roasted coffee, malt and chocolate. Very sweet for a porter.

M - Not a lot going on. For as dark as it is, I would have expected it to be a bit heavier. Medium Bodied, and a decent amount of carbonation.

D - Could drink one, maybe two, but if I'm looking for a porter, this is not what I would expect. Pretty light and sweet.

09-30-2010 20:57:38 | More by BeerThursdays
airohead2001

3.3/5  rDev -18.3%

Huge thanks to glazeman for this one. This is a beer I've always wanted to try.

A - Nice light brown/tan/off white fluffy two finger head that fades after a minute or so. Beer itself is a chocolate colored brown that lightens as it gets closer to the walls of the snifter.

S - Smell is a little disappointing. No coconut at all. Just regular, old, porter.

T - Taste is actually great. Way better than I was expecting given the mediocre smell and appearance. Coconut? No. But it is a very BALANCED porter. Not too bitter or harsh, with just enough sweetness.

M - Mouthfeel is so-so. Pretty thin.

Overall, this beer is pretty decent. The coconut in the title is certainly misleading, but beers shouldn't be rated in relationship to their name. This is a drinkable porter, and one I would definitely have again if ever given the opportunity.

05-16-2011 21:54:48 | More by airohead2001
Treebs

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

Got this bad boy as an extra in a trade, Thanks Brad! Poured from a can into my DFH signature glass.

A: Pours a nice deep brown/black with a tan fluffy head. That sticks around for a little bet then subsides slowly to a thin pillow of film. Not really much lace.

S: I'm picking up the aromas slight toasted coffee and some dark chocolates. There is a slight sweetness to the nose that must be the toasted coconut.

T: Ah, the nose made the brew have such high hopes, but it fell flat. There is a slight roast from the coffee, but that's about all I'm getting. There is also a very slight metallic taste that I can only imagine is the can. The brew might be a little too cold so I'm going to let it warm up a bit. Even after letting the brew warm it still underwhelmed and the taste was relatively unchanged.

M: Nicely carbonated with a pretty thin body for the style. There is a nice sweetness left on the palate that I wish came through on the initial taste.

O: This was a solid porter overall, but the taste was lacking pretty muted. Even after I let the brew warm a bit there still wasn't much there.

08-14-2011 20:53:26 | More by Treebs
bashiba

Iowa

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured like a fresh can of cola with a slightly darker end result and a light sticky tan head.

The smell has a nice mild roasty black malt nose.

The flavor is very mild with a bit of sweet roasty grains and a touch of chocolate, there are some sweet undertones that could be the coconut, but I would never make that connection without it being on the can. The hops are very mild as this is very malt dominated.

The mouthfeel is light and creamy.

Overall this would make a decent dark session beer, creamy and easy to drink, but the coconut aspect is pretty mild.

12-14-2010 00:25:43 | More by bashiba
champ103

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

It has been a while since I had this. I remember really liking it, lets see if my tastes have changed over the years...

A: Pours a pitch black color. Almost opaque. A two finger tan head rises with good retention. Some lace is left behind as well.
S: Big roasted malt in the nose. Kind of burnt as well as some acrid coffee. Some sweetness lingers.
T: Big roasted malt and coffee. A bit more sweetness. Some vanilla and chocolate flavors.
M/D: A lighter body than I would like. Just a bit to thin and watery. Easy enough to drink though. The initial harsh acrid character quickly fades and makes this enjoyable.

I still like this, but it is not the beer I remember. I don't know if my tastes have changed or what? It is still enjoyable, and worth a try however.

04-21-2011 22:10:16 | More by champ103
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured in a pint glass. Picture on the front looks like a mug made out of a coconut and also shows a vat labelled 1814 that is cracked and spilling porter all over. They also have a big write up about why they chose cans for their product over bottles.

Black, opaque with chestnut highlights around the edges when held to the light. Light brown creamy head is 1/8 inch on the pour, but reduces to a thin ring around the edge.

Aroma is mainly roasted malts and toasted coconut. Some hints of spices in the background. Interesting, I can't say I've ever smelled a beer like this before.

Taste is like a standard porter, but with a big toasted coconut flavour throughout. Toasted coconut up front with roasted malts in the background. Aftertaste is a mild version of the same profile.

Thin-medium body with minimal carbonation. A little thin for what I'd expect from a porter, but in Maui, when the heat is on, I don't think I'd want to have a big heavy thick beer.

An interesting beer, but not one that I'd want to drink all the time. The coconut flavour is just too bold. I'd prefer it to be more of a background flavour instead.

06-03-2007 15:58:53 | More by Noxious26
woosterbill

Connecticut

3.43/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to mnbears fan for this one, my first Hawaii beer and state tick #41.

A: A slow, straight pour into the upright glass results in a voluminous three-finger head of pillowy light-brown foam. Retention is strong, but it’s a bit light on the lace.

S: Hmm. It’s quite roasty – sharply so. Dark chocolate and ash are the most prominent aromas, although there’s definitely a hint of heavily toasted coconut as well. I was expecting something significantly sweeter, but this is certainly not bad at all.

T: Follows the nose. Coconut is present but subdued, while sharply roasty malts really carry the day. Bitter dark chocolate stands out in particular, with some dry hops bitterness complementing it on the finish. Tasty enough, but nothing to write home about.

M: A little thin, a little prickly, and not that great.

O: I’d like to rereview this one at some point in the future, as this can was nearly a year old and I have a suspicion that the coconut might have been much more of a player in a fresh can. As it was, this was a solid but unremarkable porter, and gained very little from its unique adjunct.

Cheers!

10-31-2011 16:38:41 | More by woosterbill
dfclav

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

Thanks to forgetfu for this one.

A - pours a very dark brown, with ruby highlights when held up to the light. Active carbonation flows in the glass but it doesn't seem to do much justice for the head as it fades quickly leaving a decent soapy lace at first, that really ended up as very thin patchy lacing about 4oz in.

S - not bad. Pretty robust. Chocolate and coffee hit the nose followed by a wave of booze and just a hint of metallic odor. Vanilla and coconut buried very deep in this one, but they're there.

T - all the tastes as mentioned as in the nose but with a somewhat astringent lactic kick that leaves an odd flavor lingering around. The closest I can attribute it to is bile....but it tastes nothing like it of course, just leaves your mouth with that notion. The initial taste is good but the aftertaste just isn't enjoyable to me. As it really warmed up a tiny bit of hazelnut made it's way to the finish.

M - for a porter, very good. Bordering on thick with very good carbonation despite the use of coconut.

O - I'm glad I got to try this beer, as I heard a lot of good things about it. While it wasn't near my favorite porter, it had some good things going for it. The aftertaste left me pretty upset though, and I just can't see searching it out again.

03-31-2011 11:11:46 | More by dfclav
vkv822

Oregon

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

12oz can into tulip snifter.

The beer pours a very dark brown, near black with a frothy light brown head.

The aroma is of espresso and lightly roasted malts. Can't really pick up any coconut. Perhaps some light vanilla which may be the coconut?

The taste is again more espresso with really no coconut flavors that I can detect.

Has a good mouthfeel, medium body with active carb.

A decent porter, though I was hardly able to pick up any coconut which unfortunately makes this pretty overage overall.

08-09-2011 03:05:43 | More by vkv822
confer

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

A- Deep brown with a tan head.
S- Roasty malt small.
T- Starts with the roasted malt flavor and ends with a coffee taste.
MO- Creamy feel. Worth trying if you get to the islands. Although this was my favorite brewery in Hawaii not my my favorite beer.

08-14-2011 04:45:08 | More by confer
doughanson78

Washington

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

12oz. can poured into a snifter.

A: Black, very dark. Finger and a half tan head. Dissipates pretty quickly. Hardly any lacing. Fairly carbonated.

S: Alcohol up front. Roasted coffee and chocolate in the background. Little toastiness. Maybe the slightest hint of coconut.

T: Roasted coffee. Nice toasted flavor. Slight chocolate hints. Again maybe getting a tad of coconut. No alcohol as in the smell.

M: Fairly thin for the style. Maybe a little to much carbonation.

O: A decent porter. Like the toasty flavor. Didn't get the coconut flavor I was hoping for. If there would have been a bigger coconut presence, and the smell was bette, this would've been an A beer.

11-15-2011 09:56:27 | More by doughanson78
grandq

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a dark cola brown with a decent two finger white head that disappears rapidly. Smells like cheap milk chocolate - like easter candy or crappy foiled gelt. A little bit of coffee backs it up. The first sip is pretty nice. Very toast and malty, with the aforementioned not-so-great milk chocolate (faintly comforting). A teensy bit of nutty, coffee tinged bitterness in the back. Not half shabby - and I pretty much hate coconut in all its forms (coconut milk doesn't count... mmm curry). Here it just adds a sweetness on the tail end that I don't really mind that much. The aftertaste isn't really my favorite, but hardly offensive - the aforementioned slight bitterness complements pretty well. Overall, the coconut is relatively muted. Mouthfeel is style appropriate - medium body and silky.

If you're into coconut, this'd be right up your alley. If you aren't, and even if you have a serious aversion, its still definitely worth a try. Solid porter, but I won't traveling to the islands for it.

A note on the cans - the look like minaturized Arizona pop cans. Thanks to bbothen for the bonus - even if the can design confused me for a sec.

07-11-2008 01:56:54 | More by grandq
SaucyA

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

A - Awesome head. 2+ fingers of khaki foam that protrudes from my standard pint glass. It's pillow-like, and billowing. The body, of course, is standard porter. Opaque DARK brown. No lacing.

S - Usual porter affects but with a bit of petting-zoo. And not in the good kind of spontaneously fermented "horseblanket" sort of way. Chocolate malts, y'know. Nothing standout, and the petting zoo smell is a little off-putting.

T - Taste manages to round itself out a little bit as a brew. Definite well-water aspect, with an almost metallic finish. Coconut hardly noted on the finish. After giving time to warm a little more, it comes together in a "Hey, this is a porter" way.

M - Lighter, creamy, nice carbonation.

D - There's a few aspects about this beer that would deter me from buying/seeking it out again. It definitely has potential that isn't quite realized, while I think this could just be an off batch.

Notes: After all the buzz surrounding this beer, I must admit I'm a bit dissapointed. I expected a liquid Mounds bar and got little more than a Mounds bar that was floating in some well-water for a few days.

Worth a try for those that are curious.

07-29-2008 21:05:30 | More by SaucyA
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks to ThirstyBird for sharing this one. 12oz. can served in my Gouden Carolus chalice. Poured two shades shy of black. Half inch off-white head recedes into a skim. Nose is big on roasted coffee, followed by toasted coconut. Taste follows nose; roasted character is in the forefront but the coconut clearly comes out immediately after. Also picked up a milky quality. Mouthfeel is thin, slightly watery and lightly effervescent. Decent drinkability and flavor for the abv. I'm not a huge coconut fan, but this is pretty tasty.

03-23-2009 23:08:09 | More by Jwale73
hopsbreath

Oregon

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours very dark brown. Beige head forms atop. No lacing shows up.

Smell is dark roast, tropical hops, and a little sweet coconut through the power of suggestion. Cold coffee is most of the dark roast.

Sweet toasted coconut laced cola mixed with coffee is pretty much the whole flavor palate...and I like it! The big problem here is a slightly metallic finish. I'm not saying its the can though. This particular metallic taste is similar to some bottled beers I've had.

Mouthfeel is full of contradictions. Its a little thin but sticky. Its fairly smooth yet a little gummy.

Drinkability is good. I wouldn't mind knocking back a few of these on the beach.

09-04-2010 04:31:17 | More by hopsbreath
CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)