1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub) visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: drseamus on 01-21-2007)
Ratings: 555 | Reviews: 434 | Show All Ratings:
HoustonTX

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Masterpiece Porter right here.

Classic dark brown body. Very pleasant aroma. Lightly sweetened vanilla with rich roasted malt, fringes of chocolate/ coffee and coconut.

This is one of the most balanced Porters in existence. Unlike a lot of Porters, there isn't a huge roasted overwhelming presence. Instead CoCoNut Porter offers something special. Amazing refinement, great sessionability, and managed to turn a style from something usually aimed towards Winter, to something you can enjoy on the hottest day of Summer.

Upfront it brings a rich yet creamy refined malt backbone. A blend of dark chocolate with hints of roasted barley. Delicate touch of vanilla, and soft sweetness - and a very lovely toasted coconut note to round everything out. Finishes with some nice floral/citrus hops to blend with the toasted maltiness. Very nice.

This is one of those beers that can be enjoyed in so many ways. It's straight forward, yet flawless in it's execution. A great alternative to the heavily roasted dominated Porters. The best part about this beer is the versatility, you can pair it with tons of different foods. Sushi, Barbecue, Cheese, Chocolate, Fish, Sandwiches. I think that the balance really brings something that you can enjoy with just about anything. It would be great with a light to medium body cigar, or anything toasty or nutty.

Surely one of the finest things to come out of Hawaii.

06-10-2011 04:34:38 | More by HoustonTX
seedsofchaos

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Received this wonderful can as an extra from a recent trade with forgetfu. It arrived on a brisk Illinois winter afternoon so it was cold and ready to drink upon arrival. Reviewing this brew as a Porter would be difficult to do because it is just so different than any other Porter out there. I almost would rather review it as a specialty beer.

Poured into a standard pint glass, Maui's Coconut Porter is a smooth and creamy looking pitch black Porter. A decent amount of khaki-colored billowing foam creates a lovely appearance that is further accented with great lacing and a delicious aroma. Sweet light chocolates, caramel/crystal malts, coconut, hints of vanilla and just a touch of roast seduce.

First taste is everything that I would expect and hope for. Rich toffee flavor like a Fat Tire on steroids. Coconut comes through a bit on the caramel/vanilla side but a malt-centric body keeps everything flowing nicely. Sweet, but not cloyingly, this is a great sessionable beer to pair with just about any activity IMHO. I could drink one of these with dinner, with a movie, while BBQing or even right after hiking. Smooth, highly drinkable and, frankly, delightful.

I wish Maui's availability would reach Illinois on a permanent basis. I've now had but two of these brews and just wish I could keep a steady stock. Cheers to you Maui Brewing on a job well done!

01-28-2011 14:49:48 | More by seedsofchaos
billab914

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a 12oz can into my Portsmouth snifter. Poured close to black in color with a thin creamy tan head. The head came pretty close to fading away completely but left some faint traces around the edges.

The aroma shows a lot of coffee, chocolate, caramel and roasted malt flavors to it. It has a slightly sweet and smooth characteristic to it. I'd like to believe it's the coconut but I can't put my finger on it. Very nice balanced and complex aroma overall.

The taste has a very smooth character to it. It has some very nice chocolate and caramel flavors to it. The roasted and coffee flavors show a little more up front and the chocolaty, slightly sweet flavors come through more in the finish. Throughout the taste there is a smooth, almost milky flavor with a bit of vanilla. I have to assume it's the coconut since I can't think of anything else I've had in a porter like it. It definitely adds a very nice character to the beer though.

Mouthfeel is slightly above medium bodied and carbonation is below average. Drinkability is very good, I really liked the beer. The smoothness the coconut gave it is very nice and definitely made it more drinkable. Also it was very nicely balanced which I liked.

05-18-2010 00:36:33 | More by billab914
pants678

Poured into a pint that's a cloudy, deep brown that pushes black. The head's a solid brown that maintains as a lacing.

Smells of a charred but rich coffee, chocolate base. The burned nose provides a pleasant juxtaposition to the body.

There's the usual coffee and chocolate but with a note of vanilla and hops. I'm having a tough time picking out the coconut, I'm looking for something sweet. Maybe that's what I'm mistaking the vanilla for. This is odd, but it's interestingly simple while being far from pungent. Coconut porter is... very standard American porter. This is just well brewed.

What's great about this is the dry finish. The carbonation is light but I'm not sure I'd call this smooth. While obviously full bodied, it doesn't seem so heavy; not like a RIS or anything like that.

01-16-2010 07:01:32 | More by pants678
badbeer

Iowa

3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

Brown color with an off-white head that quickly dissipates. Aroma of smoke, coconut, chocolate, and maple syrup. Taste has coconut, chocolate, coffee, and maybe some molasses. Higher than medium carbonation with light body. An interesting beer to try, but I'd like a little more body perhaps. Thanks to marchcow for the sample.

01-03-2009 03:42:53 | More by badbeer
joepais

Maine

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

Thanks again Santa (Deuane)
The can poured into my new Smuttynose snifter produced a good two fingers worth of tan thread that turned to a thin lace. The body was the typical black porter color.

Awesome aromas of chocolate and coconut it smells like a mounds candy bar, this is great stuff. The flavor is nice and balanced not too much bitterness from the roasted malts and not too much sweetness from the toasted coconut. The only thing I wish is that it was a little thicker in the mouthfeel department.

Another easy drinking Porter enjoyed every drop and was left wanting more. If I saw this in the store I would grad a 4 pack of this for sure

12-27-2008 00:45:10 | More by joepais
slayer3604

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

a- insane mass of head, and an obsidion body beneath it! i like! left some lacing, and the head takes its time leaving.

S- COCONUT, a tad of roasted crystal malt, lots of sweet smells, such as plum, and a little fig.

T- A very thin body at first, then you are greeted with a subtle amount of coconut and a sweet, mellow finish. I like how easy this is to drink.

M- A little thin, but its exactly as advertised! I'm impressed with this beer.

D- at 10.99 a 4 pack its a little steep but beyond that, 5.7 abv i could drink this all day!

12-01-2008 06:52:39 | More by slayer3604
PatronWizard

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Can. Cool.

Black liquid. Reasonable head.

Poured into a glass, but still smell the can. Do I smell a coconut or is it a subliminal message to the brain? Smell is not very good.

Tastes just like a Mounds bar. Or maybe an Almond Joy. The coconut is omnipresent.

Pretty smooth. Silky smooth actually.

I'm not big on coconut, in fact I hate'em. Bought this particular beer for the wife, who says it's instantly one of her favorites ever. Cool, maybe she'll stay outta my Founders Breakfast Stout.

Overall: if you like coconuts, you will love this well-crafted brewski.

10-11-2008 23:00:35 | More by PatronWizard
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

This is one I have waiting to try for years. Pours blackest brown out of the can settling into the glass letting through no light. A creamy two finger thick khaki colored head has amazing retention leaving waves of lace. Nose has tones of fresh tootsie rolls, burnt smokey malt, zesty minerals and toasted coconut but just a hint. Big creamy roasted malt is like a tidal wave that coats the tongue and mouth throughly. A dark consistant richness drives the palate. There is a hint of coconut on the end of the flavor profile. Folowed by a short peppery spice feel. Mouthfeel is thick and saped off with a mineral nuttiness. This is a nicely drinkable beer but I was looking for a lot more coconut.

08-09-2008 21:10:34 | More by SPLITGRIN
grandq

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a dark cola brown with a decent two finger white head that disappears rapidly. Smells like cheap milk chocolate - like easter candy or crappy foiled gelt. A little bit of coffee backs it up. The first sip is pretty nice. Very toast and malty, with the aforementioned not-so-great milk chocolate (faintly comforting). A teensy bit of nutty, coffee tinged bitterness in the back. Not half shabby - and I pretty much hate coconut in all its forms (coconut milk doesn't count... mmm curry). Here it just adds a sweetness on the tail end that I don't really mind that much. The aftertaste isn't really my favorite, but hardly offensive - the aforementioned slight bitterness complements pretty well. Overall, the coconut is relatively muted. Mouthfeel is style appropriate - medium body and silky.

If you're into coconut, this'd be right up your alley. If you aren't, and even if you have a serious aversion, its still definitely worth a try. Solid porter, but I won't traveling to the islands for it.

A note on the cans - the look like minaturized Arizona pop cans. Thanks to bbothen for the bonus - even if the can design confused me for a sec.

07-11-2008 01:56:54 | More by grandq
tpd975

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Pours a dark black hue with an average head and no retention.

S: Not as bold as an aroma as I would wish for. There are hints of milk chocolate, caramel, and toasted coconut.

T: Ahh yes, that is what I am talking about. I really dig this beer. Tons of roasted coconut from start to finish. The coconut melds into wonderful milk chocolate with a touch of vanilla. Someone at the table described it as a mounds bar and I have to agree.

M: Medium in body, smooth, easy drinking.

D: Very enjoyable and damn drinkable. I really like this one.

07-09-2008 12:17:43 | More by tpd975
JDV

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

HUGE thanks to fordest for this one. I was lucky to find somebody with one, and he came through big with his final one for me! Black pour, with a nicely lasting attractive brown head. Smell is a delicious sweet roasty creaminess at first reminding me of a good oatmeal stout. As it opens I think I can detect a tiny hint of coconut in the nose, and it comes off just a hint plasticy for a while, but not offensively so. Taste...Exceptionally smooth, creamy, slightly sweet and roasted with a noticeable, and perfectly highlighted toasted coconut flake flavor in the finish. Very nice! Full bodied, slightly thick, flavorful, and all around a very enjoyable beer that I wish I could get more readily... Just what I hoped it'd be, and easily one of my favorites. Worth getting if you have the chance!

02-24-2008 18:55:14 | More by JDV
beepill

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I dont get why it says this beer is retired. I just bought a 4-pack at Foodland in Kapolei, Oahu, this morning. The canning date on the bottom says '121913' so its relatively newish. Anyways, just poured into a whiskey glass from my hotel room.

A - pours a black-brown with a thin head that dissipates rather rapidly. Held up to artificial light and does not shine through. Solid darkness.

S - coconuts, rum, deep maltiness, sugarcane. Coconuts are the dominant smell. This beer smells so awesome.

T - as smell influences taste, the above mentioned notes dominated the palate. This is real coconut to me. I let it warm to room temperature (which is about 75 degrees here in Kapolei at 8pm) and the flavors are really enhanced. In addition to the dominant Coconuttiness, toffee, coffee, and dark chocolate notes emerge.

M - light carbonation, which is good for the style. It is also very refreshing and feels lighter than many other porters, which goes hand in hand with the environment here.

O - a beautifully well done beer. I am glad i was able to get my hands on it. I havent seen thison the mainland in a couple of years and had only tried it once before at that. The coconut shines and adds a wonderful element to this beer. Highly rec if you can get it! I will be buying a few more packs to bring home to SF.

02-02-2014 06:01:20 | More by beepill
Axnjxn

3.91/5  rDev -3.2%

Can poured into a tulip glass. No bottling date

Pours a black/very dark brown color with a thick beige head that leaves a nice foamy lace on the glass. on the nose i pick up roasted coffee malts that arent overpowering. unsure of what to expect still. Taste is intriguing... im not getting much coconut here. roasted malts and chocolate, but not that strong. its a quite unique taste actually. not in a bad way, im just not understanding the coconut name. the body is on the thicker side with a medium carbonation. pretty easy to drink as you cant detect any alcohol or bitterness.

overall this is definitely worth trying to see what you get out of it. i dont regret buying this and wouldnt turn down another one. just dont expect a coconut taste.

05-27-2013 18:33:04 | More by Axnjxn
zac16125

South Carolina

4.11/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz can into a pint glass
no born or best before date

A: Pours an opaque black with 2 plus fingers width of bubbly, light mocha colored head. Decent retention, but leaves only a small amount of lacing.

S: Toasted coconut is there, which is real nice, but there is also an acrid almost sour note that is bizarre and pretty prominent. Some roasted malt is there as well. I also get a dry, somewhat musty aroma like brown cardboard. Really a pretty strange aroma, but for some reason I kind of like it.

T: Again a bit odd. Initial taste is reminiscent of what I think licking a cardboard box would taste like. Once I get past that, some traditional porter flavors come out like roasted malt and rich dark chocolate. Toasty coconut is there, as well, although not as prominent as I hoped. Different, but again, I find myself drawn to the strange conglomerate of flavors.

M/D: Smooth, appropriately low carbonation, thicker than I anticipated for the style. Moderate drinkability. Really nice mouthfeel for a standard porter.

O: Overall, kind of a strange brew. Didnt think much of it at first, but it really grew on me as I slowly drank it. I would drink this again, but wouldnt go out of my way to obtain it.

03-17-2013 18:46:19 | More by zac16125
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my friend Paul for hooking me up with a can of this. From a 355 ml can, it pours out a deep dark brown hue, not quite opaque there are translucent cola highlights when held to direct light. Massive head on the pour, took 3 attempts to empty the can and fill the glass, presenting a loose bubbled mocha head that slowly settles to a frothy thin cap.

Sweet and toasty malt up front in the aroma, some faint roasty notes, as well as some toasted coconut.

Dark toasty malt up front in the flavour, some sweetness before the toasted coconut appears and tends to remain most prominent towards the finish. Dry, rather cocoa-like finish and aftertaste, with faint coconut also lingering on.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied on the lighter end of the spectrum, somewhat slick texture although with decent attenuation, and some moderate carbonation.

Things lean towards the sweeter end of things, although that may be expected due to the presence of the coconut, however the malt could have balanced it out some more. I'm not complaining though, I enjoyed this stuff and will seek out some more when the opportunity arises.

11-09-2012 03:56:53 | More by IronDjinn
ExtraStout

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

I bought a 4-pack of cans of this at a grocery store in Maui about 3 miles from the brewery.

Beer Facts: 6.0% ABV, 30 IBU's, made with Cascade & Columbus hops.

It begins with a malty-toasted coconut aroma followed with a taste of dark malt, chocolate and hints of coffee. It finishes with flavors of toasted coconut and hoppy spice for balance. The only improvement I would like to see would be making it less "thin bodied" but given where the majority of this stuff is consumed, it is just right.

10-21-2012 22:44:02 | More by ExtraStout
joemcgrath27

Alberta (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev +4%

I recall seeing this on "Drinking Made Easy", then happened across it on a holiday on Arizona
A - shiny pitch black, thumb of mocha head, dissipated slowly, not much lacing
S - big chocolate malts off the top, the coconut aroma is more like a raw husk, brown sugar a light grass
T - big roasty and chocolate malt, then the subtlety of toasted coconut starts to creep in a build slowly until in becomes a big part of the flavour by the end of the can, just a touch of smoke on the finish
M - medium to light body with mild carbonation, sweet and bitter with a light chaulkiness
O - was impressed by the presentation on the TV show, and the product lives up to it, the feature ingredient is a compliment to the beer rather than a dominator which works very well in this case, now I just need to actually go to Hawaii

10-21-2012 04:49:00 | More by joemcgrath27
Knapp85

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer poured out as a nice deep black color, the head was light tan and had a moderate retention and minimal lacing. The smell of the beer was loaded with Coconut aromas and backed with a decent amount of roasted malt. The taste of the beer in the beginning is heavily roasted with dark chocolate malts, it's almost too much roast in my opinion. As I finished the beer the last few mouthfuls got sweeter and brought in a lot of the Coconut flavors I was expecting throughout the whole thing. The mouthfeel was sharp and crisp, could have been a little smoother I think with would have complimented the Coconut in someways. Overall it's still a good beer despite my personal opinions on what it does or doesn't offer. I feel that the flavors of Coconut settle to the bottom of the glass somehow, perhaps the choice of glass I used was not the best. Still I enjoyed it and look forward to drinking it again.

10-12-2012 16:37:14 | More by Knapp85
cfrances33

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Can from Gehrig13 poured into a shaker on 8/8/12.

Pour: pretty dark brown, almost black with two fingers of tan head. No lacing, recedes to rim.

Smell: Smokey milk chocolate, toasted malts. Some vanilla cream.

Taste: Lots of roasted milk chocolate, vanilla cream. Pretty much these flavors ride out.

Mouthfeel: Really creamy, but not heavy. Goes down really easy. Nice carbonation.

Overall: This was pretty dar delicious, and the glass was gone in 15 minutes.

08-08-2012 22:08:17 | More by cfrances33
tdm168

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks to jtd1969 for finding this for me.

A - black with a large, dense cap of dark brown head that has good retention

S - big roasted malts, toasted coconut, faint coffee and chocolate

T - huge roasted malt character with toasted coconut coming through; underlying coffee notes; rather intensely bitter finish

M - medium to full bodied, well carbonated

This is a nice concept. The coconut works well with the roasted malt character. Unfortunately, it's more bitter than what I'd look for in a porter. I wouldn't turn this down in the future.

07-20-2012 21:38:51 | More by tdm168
DrDemento456

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Damn glad I found this apparently it's not brewed anymore but it's been on my tick list for months. Paid the price on this one 5 bucks at the house of 1,000

A - Color is fairly dark for a porter just a touch of amber at the base. Head is equally mocha in color getting a 1/4 inch that settles to a lace ring.

S - Well I can't pick up much coconut but the porter base is stellar with mild chocolate and coffee and little hops or harsh roasts. Maybe some vanilla too.

T - Well I can't knock it much but maybe I do taste some toasted coconut in the mix. Mostly again chocolate and roast, a touch of anise and burnt sugars yet more sweet than chalky. Still a touch dry in the finish to remind you it's a porter.

M - Medium bodied and carbonation is a bit bubbly yet enjoyable.

Overall I guess I can't find this anymore but it was worth putting down the coin. A balanced porter with mild coconut flavors.

06-20-2012 04:06:13 | More by DrDemento456
feloniousmonk

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Maui Brewing Company, Certified Made on Maui, CoCo Nut Porter. "…Like Hot Chicks on the Beach." What? Huh? Just gonna ignore that, not touch it, let it go.
"Porter brewed with hand-toasted coconut."

Dark brown, nearly black, fully opaque, with a full, flush dotted head of creamy tanned foam, leaving lots of lace. Looks good.

Aroma: there it is, freshly toasted coconut, straddled over a …I'm not sure. We get lots of coconut, though. Beautiful.

Taste: nicely hopped, lightly roasty, full-bodied. Cocoa and coffee linger below, and show themselves briefly, outside flashes of more coconut. A very tasty porter, robust enough, with a coconut flavor that never quits, but mellows a bit. Like hot chicks on the beach. I have a feeling you can use this phrase to end a sentence, the way they end fortune cookies with "…in bed." Maybe they do, perhaps it's a quaint local Maui-ism. "Hand toasted coconut…like hot chicks on the beach!"

Anyway. Nothing too "wow" about this one, but it's nice and I thank DA for it. Just like hot chicks on the beach.

05-22-2012 06:14:53 | More by feloniousmonk
fivestrokeroll

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

Roasted caramel coconut nose--nice foamy head. Very dark brown body. Medium to full-bodied with boozy and crisp roasted malts dominating the mouth feel...leaving a dark coffee aftertaste that fades from bitter to bitter-sweet. A big tasting porter for its ABV but refreshing and satisfying nonetheless.

04-09-2012 20:52:24 | More by fivestrokeroll
williamjbauer

West Virginia

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Can served in a chilled pint glass

A - A monstrously dark obsidian with just a few photons streaming through with a 2 finger thick fluffy ecru head with excellent retention and great lacing around the whole glass.

S - Coffee, roasted barley, dark chocolate, toasted coconut with moderate pungency.

T - A robust flavor starting with sweet toasted coconut, with a smooth and creamy milkiness, followed by roasted barley, chocolate, espresso beans, malt, and a touch of bitterness, with a smooth, crisp hint of alcohol for the finish.

M - Full body, moderate carbonation, chewy, creamy, and smooth.

O - Really enjoyed this porter, the coconut addition gave it a smoothness you find in many milk stouts and reminded me a bit of Old Rasputin, but this porter is not quite as refined but still excellent in it own right. Can't wait to visit the brewery in a couple weeks in Maui!

04-03-2012 15:26:57 | More by williamjbauer
CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)