CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub) visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: drseamus on 01-21-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros

Can. Cool.

Black liquid. Reasonable head.

Poured into a glass, but still smell the can. Do I smell a coconut or is it a subliminal message to the brain? Smell is not very good.

Tastes just like a Mounds bar. Or maybe an Almond Joy. The coconut is omnipresent.

Pretty smooth. Silky smooth actually.

I'm not big on coconut, in fact I hate'em. Bought this particular beer for the wife, who says it's instantly one of her favorites ever. Cool, maybe she'll stay outta my Founders Breakfast Stout.

Overall: if you like coconuts, you will love this well-crafted brewski.

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Near black pour and head leaves fast. Light small bubbled persistent lacing remains.

S - Sweet burnt coffee, some coconut notes behind it.

T- Taste follows smell. Coffee, bitter chocolate, faint reminder of coconut.

M - Medium to light bodied. Not great coating. Good Carb. This beer had me going for gold until the 'M'. It's just thinner than I expected.

D - Having said that, it's very sessionable!

I took this, Old Chub and Dales on a camping trip lately.
GREAT stuff all!

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

You can't judge a beer by its container I suppose. Although a canned beer, the appearance as it pours is a pretty opaque brown with a nice tan head.

This Hawaiian import definitely has some coconut aroma, but it's not as overwhelming as I thought it would be. The aroma is there, but in taste it's almost only an aftertaste. It's smooth and very drinkable and isn't too overpowering in any particular facet. I recommend it, but as more of a tasty session beer than something more memorable.

2.4/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured from a can given to me by a friend

A - The beer appears thick and black, like an ebony milkshake. There is a long head retention. Beer appears to be highly carbonated.

S - I detect roasted malt, chocolate, very faint whiff of coconut.

T - There is a chocolaty taste, but no hop flavor present. Tastes mild without any hint of coconut.

M - It seems to coat the tongue. The carbonation seems to be high for this style. Very unpleasant.

D - I was not impressed. Generally speaking, I would not go out of my way to have another.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

(from notes taken early august 2008)

freebie my brother earned in a trade with brewerb

no date found on the can. poured into shaped pint glass.

almost opaque brown/black. tan head fades to wisps. minimal lacing.

aroma starts with roasted malt and earthy tones, with some esters, but is pretty phenolic. the coconut only really comes through in traces amongst the esters.

some otherwise smooth, sweet malts are a bit overpowered by a boozy and phenolic quality. toasted coconut is there, but only barely (and only if you look for it), as a side player. the mild bitterness helps to offset the the booziness.

ever so slightly thin, but smooth. moderate carbonation.

meh...

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

A- Pours a black color with a fairly thin tan head that recedes into a layer of bubbles on top of the brew. Not too much lacing on this one.

S- Dark roasted malts, touch of chocolate and coffee. Got even better as it warmed and I could pick up some of the coconut then.

T- Roasted malts come out with some chocolate. Slightly smoky, the coconut comes through nicely.

M- Light carbonation and some what lighter in body than I expected.

D- Very interesting and easy to drink.

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

This was a gimme from my lil buddy ~ Mr. Mustachio. Highly anticipated, greatly appreciated & well worth the wait. When my coconut freak sister in law saw it in the refrigerator she said she wasn't leaving until I opened it. I willingly obliged.

A ~ Predominantly black, opaque body with ruby edges showing when back lit. Khaki colored, foamy head with good retention & nice lacing.

S ~ Very nice. Coffee, cocoa & creamy malts with a pleasant & not overpowering hint of toasted coconut. Fresh & clean.

T ~ Nothing unnatural or artificial about the taste. Coffee & bitter chocolate with a little nutty smoke, toasty malts & the ghostly presence of fresh, toasted coconut. Well blended all around. My sister in law looked like she was gonna cry!!! "OH YEA! You GOTTA get more of this~ PLEEEEZE!"

M ~ Creamy, chewy crisp & clean with a superb finish. Full bodied & deeliscious.

D ~ Hard to beat & hard to beleive it's from a can! This is a well done Porter that's a little different, very approachable & very easy to drink & enjoy. Too bad it's not as easy to find. I'll be trading for more.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Poured black with a finger of slighty off white head. Good amount of lacing for a porter.

S: Smells like toasted coconut. If you gave this to me blind I probably would have said Macaroons. Very sweet as well.

T: Very toasted taste. A nice sweetness is right there. The coconut taste is not in your face but it is there. Again more of a macaroon kind of taste.

M: Medium body with a nice mouthfeel.

D: The dryness could cut down on it a bit but a really good beer. Thanks brent56k for this in a trade. Solid totally different beer.

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Pitch black color, non-transparent, one finger thick brown head that faded quickly to a thin layer

S- Milk chocolate, coconut, sweet, hint of smokeyness

T- Mild coconut, vanilla, sugar, dark chocolate, woody, light fruity flavor

M- Medium body, low/medium carbonation, smooth, slightly watery finish

D- Definitely worth trying (if you can find it)

My friend brought me back one of these from his trip to Hawaii. It was good but nothing to go crazy over, although the coconut flavor was very interesting and original.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Can't get enough of this stuff. In my experience, best enjoyed fresh and only slightly cool. Brings out the best flavor.

Pours a sticky dark brown filling up to blackness. A sandy head eventually recedes to very little at all, and leaves only a few spots of lace.

The nose on this beer makes me wish I could create an air freshener out of it, but then I supposed I'd have to waste some beer in the process and that's just not worth it. Molasses sweetness over chocolatey dark grains. Coconut is mild, and comes in the form of smelling more like a mounds candy bar than anything else, only better because it's beer. Some classic porter earthiness peeks out from the background, but stays nicely balanced.

Full roasty malt flavor, sweetening to a deeper chocolate and toasted grainy bread. Again, coconut adds a notable yet subtle enhancing flavor, again like a mounds candy bar. Hints of burnt wood and bark. A very pleasantly balanced flavored porter, with a little extra sticky sweetness.

Feel is smooth and slightly sticky. Nice full medium body gives it plenty of feel all the way through the sip.

Very drinkable. Really pleasant taste, nice feel, and nothing over done or interfering with the experience. A nice beer to have around if you can.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Jet black with very minimal head. Lots of burnt coffee and coconut on the nose.

A bit watery in the mouthfeel but this was made up for in the flavor and drinkability. Sweet chocolate and coconut flavors. Very well balanced and drinkable.

This was a home run for me. A very different type of porter. Excellent example of a real good canned beer. I really enjoyed this one.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Consumed 08/30/08.

Pours a very dark brown with almost no head. Only the tiniest ring of tan foam clings to the sides of the glass.

Very aromatic: chocolate and coffee notes waft into the nose from well over a foot away. Up close, the coconut aroma can be discerned as well.

Medium mouthfeel, a little thicker than a typical porter, could use a touch more carbonation.

Flavor is surprising; in my experience adjunct beers tend to be overwhelmed by their novelty character (cough cough Stone Smoked Porter with Vanilla Bean cough cough). Strong coffee and more restrained chocolate notes flow well with a bitterness that reminds me more of ashes than smoke. The coconut only appears as a subtle note towards the end of the swallow. A little alcohol warmth shows up after a few enthusiastic swallows, making me wonder of the beer's ABV is a little underreported...

Well done, brewers! It's not an every day drinker for me, but I will gladly have this again if I see it.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

This beer pours a one and a half finger tan head with no lacing. Dark brown color.

Smells like a liquid version of a mounds bar. Coconut, roasted chocolates, great smell.

I was expecting more coconut, but I like how its hidden and is very subtle. Excellent porter tastes in this, coffee, roasted chocoaltes, espresso, I love the extra little kick of coconut.

Someone else said it best. The best tasting thinnest beer I ever had.

Really good beer, run, dont walk to get it.

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

A- Pours a very dark brown, nearly black, with a light tan head that quickly dissipates to a thin ring of foam.

S- The smell certainly improves as it warms, but begins with a dark, malty sweetness, accented by a mild coconut aroma.

T- Smokey and delicious with a very mild coconut flavor. Notes of cocoa and caramelized sugar. A lot of malt comes through as well.

M- Relatively thick for a porter, but still effervescent

D- This beer goes down very easily. It's so refreshing cold, but gets so complex and delicious as it warms. I really enjoy this beer and wish I could get more here in NY.

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What can I say, when I saw this at BevMo I bought four 4-packs, without even reading a review. I ended up buying two more 4-packs shortly thereafter. I wanted others to enjoy it, so I traded away about 2 full 4-packs, and pretty much drank the rest. The wife loves it and says I should always keep some in the fridge.

A: dark black, nice light tan head that quickly dissipates

S: Like a sweet porter. Nice caramel, malty sweet with a hint of the coconut.

T: The taste is amazing, it's sweet without overpowering, the coconut is there, but also not overpowering. Tastes MUCH better as it warms, and the flavors enhance substantially. DO NOT drink this straight out of your fridge!

M: It is pretty thick for a porter, almost bordering stoutiness. I like the mouthfeel quite a bit, very good for a canned beer.

D: This is going to be a pretty regular beer around my place. It's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but it's worth keeping a few around to share with others, especially if they are not very beer savvy. It's a great way to start inexperienced drinkers on "dark" beer.

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Can courtesy of CrellMoset poured into a snifter.

A: Pours pitch black with only a hint of mahogany around the edges when held up to the light. The two-finger off-white head dissipates fairly quickly and leaves decent lacing.

S: Big sweet toasted coconut aroma with roasted coffee in the background. There is also a big sweet malt background.

T: Taste is huge on the toasted cocunuts - so sweet and so tasty. There is also a bit of coffee and dark chocolate on a sweet malt base.

M: Mouthfeel is silky smooth with strong carbonation that tickles the tongue.

D: This porter is absurdly drinkable. I wouldn't trust myself if I had a lot of this in the fridge. Sweet, but not overpoweringly so, this is a fantastic porter.

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

This is one I have waiting to try for years. Pours blackest brown out of the can settling into the glass letting through no light. A creamy two finger thick khaki colored head has amazing retention leaving waves of lace. Nose has tones of fresh tootsie rolls, burnt smokey malt, zesty minerals and toasted coconut but just a hint. Big creamy roasted malt is like a tidal wave that coats the tongue and mouth throughly. A dark consistant richness drives the palate. There is a hint of coconut on the end of the flavor profile. Folowed by a short peppery spice feel. Mouthfeel is thick and saped off with a mineral nuttiness. This is a nicely drinkable beer but I was looking for a lot more coconut.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Nice to see this show up in the Bay Area! I got a 4 pack of cans at Bevmo. What a great beer! The marriage of coconut and roasty/chocolatey/creamy flavors of porter are a match made in heaven. It just works so well, and everything is very nicely balanced. Just a great beer all around, and I'm a big fan of craft canning as well. Pours very dark brown, approaching black with a creamy tan head that starts great but fades pretty quickly. Very nice lacing. Smell is of nice lightly toasted coconut, cocoa, and some roasty malt. Really nice combo, and not too sweet. The taste is similar. Just the right amount of sweetness- a tad- and beautifully clear flavors of coconut oil and roasted coconut. Nice malty backbone and toasty notes on the finish along with just a hint of bitterness. Really nice. Very smooth and creamy and just all around a great beer.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I am sitting in Waikoloa Village, Big Island Hawaii, enjoying this beautiful porter, poured from a great looking 12 oz can.

A- Most would assume I have Coke in my glass- Deep dark with a hint of brown. The head is tan, and while evident upon the first pour, quickly recedes.

S- Amazing smell! I am getting hints of chocolate, roasted nuts, coca-cola, and a hint of sweet coconut and vanilla.

T- Similar to the smell... very nice. But I am getting a really nice bakers chocolate / Pipe tobacco finish.

M- More carbonation than I tend to like in a porter, but nice smooth and thick.

D- Awesome beer. Number one Porter for me.

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

12oz can courtesy of BrewerB, thanks man. Dark black, not much head. It smells roasty, and good, hints of coconut. The flavor is a robust porter, roasty with only the slightest hint of coconut, maybe its the power of suggestion? Mouthfeel is smooth but a little thin and this is easy to drink but I don't think I'd want more than one at a time.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

A - Awesome head. 2+ fingers of khaki foam that protrudes from my standard pint glass. It's pillow-like, and billowing. The body, of course, is standard porter. Opaque DARK brown. No lacing.

S - Usual porter affects but with a bit of petting-zoo. And not in the good kind of spontaneously fermented "horseblanket" sort of way. Chocolate malts, y'know. Nothing standout, and the petting zoo smell is a little off-putting.

T - Taste manages to round itself out a little bit as a brew. Definite well-water aspect, with an almost metallic finish. Coconut hardly noted on the finish. After giving time to warm a little more, it comes together in a "Hey, this is a porter" way.

M - Lighter, creamy, nice carbonation.

D - There's a few aspects about this beer that would deter me from buying/seeking it out again. It definitely has potential that isn't quite realized, while I think this could just be an off batch.

Notes: After all the buzz surrounding this beer, I must admit I'm a bit dissapointed. I expected a liquid Mounds bar and got little more than a Mounds bar that was floating in some well-water for a few days.

Worth a try for those that are curious.

Received as a gift from beereality.

Has kind of a funny aroma. Definite toasted coconot note, but also a strange funky note.

Grainy, dry full-bodied, muddled, muddy confused complexity. Malty. Slight roasty bitterness. Too many malts? Finish is not crisp.

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

Deep dark brown with a medium tan head that has pretty good retention. Smell is lightly roasted and overall sweet. Chocolate, caramel, hint of coffee, toasted coconut, grassy hops. Taste is much of the same. Good sweet malts with light roast again. The hops provide a solid bitterness near the end. It's pretty nice aside from an overly sweet flavor that lingers in the finish. It's like a Werther's but more milky and creamy. If not for that, this would be the real deal. Pretty smooth and almost silky, just a little thin. Drinks pretty well also.

Thanks to jhenry04 for throwing this in as an extra in a recent trade.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Finally worked out a trade and received a 4-pack of this fabled brew from CoreyRhoads. Big thanks Corey!

A-Deep dark brown with barley noticeable deep ruby highlights along the edges. Crazy, frothy, thick tan head that receded to a small cap that left nice lace.

S-Dark roasted malt with hints of coffee and a bit of a burnt quality. This is not a roust aroma but it is present for sure.

T-Dark roasted malt with a healthy dose of espresso and toasted coconut flavour in the background. This is fairly complex and absolutely delicious!

M-Medium bordering on medium-light body with a nice silkiness. Ends very smooth with a building dryness.

D-A 5.5% session drinker with ALL this flavour....crazy! This would be a 5 if it wasn't for the building dryness...I would have to take a break and wet myself down a bit....before cracking another.

Another craft beer from a can that kicks ass! Great job Maui Brewing!

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Shared by dkachur. I didn't expect I would care for this a great deal, and was very plesantly surprised! Taken from notes:

A: A deep chestnut brown. Not quite opaque, allowing a deep brown highlight around the edges.

S: The roasted malts come out with chocolate scents. Slightly smoky, The coconut comes through pleasantly - moreso than I thought. Very pleasant.

T + M + D: Soft carbonation, semi-creamy. Malty, chocolate, coconut, could use a little more carbonation. Certainly a porter. It could potentially be a better sessionable if it were slightly lower (5.7%).

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)