CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub) visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: drseamus on 01-21-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
grandq

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a dark cola brown with a decent two finger white head that disappears rapidly. Smells like cheap milk chocolate - like easter candy or crappy foiled gelt. A little bit of coffee backs it up. The first sip is pretty nice. Very toast and malty, with the aforementioned not-so-great milk chocolate (faintly comforting). A teensy bit of nutty, coffee tinged bitterness in the back. Not half shabby - and I pretty much hate coconut in all its forms (coconut milk doesn't count... mmm curry). Here it just adds a sweetness on the tail end that I don't really mind that much. The aftertaste isn't really my favorite, but hardly offensive - the aforementioned slight bitterness complements pretty well. Overall, the coconut is relatively muted. Mouthfeel is style appropriate - medium body and silky.

If you're into coconut, this'd be right up your alley. If you aren't, and even if you have a serious aversion, its still definitely worth a try. Solid porter, but I won't traveling to the islands for it.

A note on the cans - the look like minaturized Arizona pop cans. Thanks to bbothen for the bonus - even if the can design confused me for a sec.

07-11-2008 01:56:54 | More by grandq
tpd975

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Pours a dark black hue with an average head and no retention.

S: Not as bold as an aroma as I would wish for. There are hints of milk chocolate, caramel, and toasted coconut.

T: Ahh yes, that is what I am talking about. I really dig this beer. Tons of roasted coconut from start to finish. The coconut melds into wonderful milk chocolate with a touch of vanilla. Someone at the table described it as a mounds bar and I have to agree.

M: Medium in body, smooth, easy drinking.

D: Very enjoyable and damn drinkable. I really like this one.

07-09-2008 12:17:43 | More by tpd975
m1ked

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

Wife brought this back from Maui. Eventhough readily accessible here on the mainland, I like to think this one tastes better.

A- Initially black liquid with a nice contrasting off white head, kind of a vanilla color. Then once I hold it up to a light, the edges of the glass glow a dark garnet color.

S- A sweet coffee chocloctish aroma wafts around my nostrils. Some vanilla notes with toasted coconut in there. Definetly not overpowering coconut. The chocolate flavor smells like when you open a packet of hot chocolate. Is it the power of suggestion, or do I detect a hint of metallic?

T- The coffee is still there, but much more subdued than the nose. The chocolate is there, more of a milk chocolate, that briefly gives you some bitterness, that then fades into a tanginess (a good one) that develops into the toasted nutty coconut flavor. This is a nice flavor to have lingering on your palate.

M- This is not a heavy beer at all. Despite its color it is actually light and refreshing. With that being said, there does seem to be a creaminess to it that I assume is the flavor tricking my tongue. Whatever it is, I like it.

D- Once again, despite being a porter, this would be a very sessionable beer for me. The flavors work well together, and don't over power. This is a unique beer that could have easily been a mess. I don't even like coconut that much, but I like this beer very much. I am glad I don't have to wait for our next trip to Hawaii to get it again.

07-07-2008 02:43:47 | More by m1ked
prototypic

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Recently acquired a can from lightindarkness. Thanks, Christian.

Appearance: Very solid looking. It pours a very, very dark brown color with an immaculate head. Carbonation appears to be active as this mocha color beast stands three and a half fingers tall. It was very slow to recede and left a nice coat of lace on the glass.

Smell: The nose is very good, but a little short of falling into the upper echelon. There is a distinct coconut smell to it that's a little sweet smelling. It blends very well with roasted and chocolate malt aromas. Roasted malts are the stronger of the two. A funky burnt smell is present and is a slight distraction for me. It's really the only negative here. There's a bit of toasted nut and light coffee rounding it out.

Taste: Wow! This is really a tasty porter! The coconut flavor is indeed sweet and is a perfect complement to the other flavors. It's really unique. Roasted and chocolate malts are very tasty and really work well with the coconut element. Light coffee flavor is secondary, but adds some depth and character. Toasted nut flavor emerges on the tail. Oddly enough, there really isn't a burnt flavor to it. I was expecting it from the nose. Frankly, that works in this porter's favor.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied and very, very smooth. Nice and creamy feel. Carbonation is active, but well done. Drinkability is likewise very high. With such a low abv and great flavor, it's difficult to face the fact I only have this one can.

This is one impressive porter. I was really stoked to see it arrive and it didn't disappoint. I was told the coconut flavor might have dropped off a little since the can was a few months old. But, it tastes great to me. The coconut flavor is alive and well. The only negative aspect of this beer is the burnt smell to it. If Maui could work that out of the nose, it'd be slightly improved. Still highly recommended.

07-07-2008 02:22:59 | More by prototypic
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Picked up a four pack of this one in a trade recently and was thrilled to death to be able to get it. I had heard very good things and wanted to try this for myself. Poured the twelve ounce can straight out of the fridge and into my pint glass. Very nice pour, dare I say a perfect pour on this one. Rich, dark, black as night with a two inch high head of tan colored foam. Really very big looking, almost like a stout. Nice retention with a huge amount of side glass lace.

Very impressed here as I go in for a taste. The aroma was just permeating off of it, rich tones of coffee and chocolate, a sweet lactose sugar like smell mixed in as well. Really very well put together. The flavor was like a good stout, very sweet with a good dose of milk chocolate and coffee. Not much in the way of coconut until the finish which was just wonderful. Nice dry finish with a vanilla touch that really sweetened it up quite well and lastly the coconut comes though right at the end. It was like chocolate covered coconut. Smooth as silk this had a much heavier tone then most porters, with a silky, seductive like feel and just an outstanding carbonation profile. I was just unbelievably impressed with this one. Easy drinker I could sip all night long. As soon as I finished it I wanted another, it was just that good. Uncanny how smooth and drinkable it was.

Overall this is exactly what I am looking for in the style. Rich, full of flavor and aroma. Wonderful hints of sweetness with nothing overdone or too big. I could buy this one by the case and only hope that it gets as big as that other brewery from the islands.

07-03-2008 23:11:33 | More by mikesgroove
beerlassie

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

This is the first "craft" beer I've had in a can, so I was quite excited to try it.

The beer is very dark brown in appearance, almost black. Light brown head, about 1/4 inch thick and it dissipated quickly.

The smell was very pleasant, with a slight coconut aroma and a hint nuttiness.

The beer had a roasted barely taste, with faint carmel flavors. Unfortunately I could not taste any coconut.

Mouthfeel was just average. I found the beer had a lot of carbonation, almost a bit too much.

Overall, I thought the beer was not too complex, but had a rather one dimensional flavor. Still, it was quite enjoyable and worth a try.

07-02-2008 23:47:41 | More by beerlassie
errantnight

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

I love beers where the sum is greater than the parts....

Pours a delectable pitch black with a frothy head that dissipates rather quickly but sticks around the edges...

Aroma is a pungent, sweet toasted coconut backed by a deeply roasted coffee note. A bit one-dimensional (or, two, as it were), but it's enticing.

Taste is a silky smooth coffee-coconut foreward experience... no real hops to speak of except for a nice balancing bitterness. A bit of milk chocolateishness to the sweetness. It's not too sweet, and its silky smooth (I realize I already said that, it bears repeating). An easy, enticing to drink brew. No more than medium bodied. It would go well with dessert, or as a nice, after dinner sessioner.

It's not going to steal the show, necessarily, but it'll always be a handsome compliment to it.

07-01-2008 23:29:57 | More by errantnight
Stoneman78

4.2/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is a dense brown hue, thick layer of tan shaving cream-like head, minimal lacing

Smell is coffee and dark chocolate malts, roast and bready malts, light hint of earthy hops and booze

Taste is mostly roasted malts with a good dose of dark chocolate and coffee, earthy hops, a hint of actual coconut lingers on the edges of the palate especially during the bitter finish

Mouthfeel is thin-bodied, watery smooth texture, carbonation is pretty high and prickly here

Drinkability is fair, a great and unique porter with tones of coconut that accentuate the malt profile without being too overwhelming, very exciting but I wouldn't drink a whole lot of this at a time, strangely the alcohol seems stronger than it should be at 5.5%

06-25-2008 07:46:31 | More by Stoneman78
beereality

4.2/5  rDev +4%

I don't know if I think I like this beer because of its rarity in the midwest or if I really like it. After four (not in a row) of them, I finally came to a conclusion. I really like this beer! It pours dark ruby, with a nice big white head that disappears rapidly. Chocolate malty smell w/little coconut that invites you to drink.
spicy, smooth, rich flavor that improves with warming. This beer should not be drunk cold. Before I drank one of these beers I had a piece of chocolate covered macadamia nut that my great beer trader sent along,( atigerlife ) and what a difference that made! this beer absolutly was more complex and wonderful. Now, it's hard not to have a piece of chocolare before or during one. If you can get it, you should. You won't be dissapointed.

06-25-2008 02:25:44 | More by beereality
DIM

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

a: This was a dark ruby red, almost black. It poured with a medium sized mocha colored head. The head was short lived and left some moderate lace behind.

s: Great smelling porter. Aromas of fresh toasted grains along with some coffee and vanilla notes. I couldn't smell any coconut.

t: I didn't expect to, but I actually did taste some toasted coconut! It blends exceptionally well with this superior porter. Smokey coffe flavored malts with some vanilla sweetness.

m: Very viscous for a porter with smooth foamy carbonation.

d: Big thanks to rallison for the chance to try this one. I loved it and I wish it was a local offering.

06-24-2008 10:50:36 | More by DIM
Brewlore

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from 12oz can. First canned "craft" beer I've ever had.

It pours a damn near black and forms nice tan head that dissipates quickly.

Was expecting coconut in the aroma but detected none whatsoever. Huge amounts of roasted & chocolate malts. Very malty/bready scent. Mild sprinkling of hops.

Didn't taste much coconut at all! Very disappointing in that regard. Outside of that the taste is great. Powerful taste of the roasted barely with some mild fruity esters in there. Finishes with the nice taste of cocoa powder.

It's alive and kicking on the palate! Very carbonated (maybe a little too carbonated for this style?) Medium/full body that feels great.

Pretty drinkable and enjoyable if your a roasted barley fan. Not very strong at all in the ABV so it's easy to put back a couple pints.

For a porter it's great but since it's labeled as a coconut porter I was expecting more coconut aromas and flavors. None of which made it to this brew.

06-23-2008 09:00:49 | More by Brewlore
arizcards

Arizona

Picked up as part of a sampler pack.

Beer poured black as night with a fine tan head. Nose was very much of roasted barley and hints of west coast hops. Taste is of those roasted malts, hint of chocolate, balanced by hops with a slight coconut finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very smooth. Overall drinkability is good. Even though i am not a coconut fan, this was a very nice recipe and should be tried if you are visiting paradise!

06-23-2008 00:38:51 | More by arizcards
gregc

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%

Can from a trade, but im not sure from who, cause my girlfriend opened all my boxes and didn't remember.

Poured from a can into my pint glass, poured black with a dark brown head that quickly fades away.
Aroma of roasted malt, chocolate , some coconut and earthiness.
Flavor was very smooth, roasty , some chocolate and the smallest amount of coconut in the finish. A very smooth and drinkable beer, i wish it was sold around here, hopefully ill be able to get some more.

06-23-2008 00:22:39 | More by gregc
Overlord

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Was very, very, very excited to see this at a local Bevmo. I enjoy a tropic-esque drink every once in a while (don't judge me!), and I had a hankering for this finally available brew.

Pours a dark brown with a two inch off white head. Smells is sublime, with sweet chocolate/cocoa, a whiff of coconut (this beer's coconuttiness is understated), roasted malt, and an earthy nuttiness that I typically see in brown ales, rather than porters.

The taste was wonderful, with roasted malt, sweet chocolate, coconut, and that same earthiness. This is a pretty good beer, and this is one of the very, very rare occasions I actually went back to the store immediately to pick up some more.

The mouthfeel is good, not overwhelmingly thick, but at the appropriate carbonation level and density for the brew.

**this is the most inconsistent beer I've ever seen. Sometimes it tastes like my review, above, sometimes it's thin, flat, and has little flavor. I have no idea what the problem is.

06-23-2008 00:02:34 | More by Overlord
gkatsoris

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Black. Very black, w/ a thin tan head that lasted for about 3 minutes.

S: Malts. Candy like aroma, and lots of malts. A hint of hops lingers in the aroma as well. Some chocolate, roasted nuts and bread round it out.

T: Very very tasty!!! Delicious. Lots of malty goodness. Man this is yummy.

M: This is the best thinnest beer I've had. Crisp and clean, great carbonation.

D: I wish I had a bushel of crabs and a case of this beer.

I need more!

06-20-2008 00:44:15 | More by gkatsoris
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours dark brown with a black hue. Nearly opaque once in the glass, with translucent edging of mahogany. A thin head of tan dissapted quickly leaving no lacework and a few errant whisps on the surface.

Aromatics lead off with bitter chocolate, coffee beans, and mild coconut. The coconut becomes more apparent as the brew warms, and some toasted notes step forward as well.
A chocolate bar at the beach with coconut suntan lotion in the air.

A smidge bigger than medium bodied and a bit oily. Crisp and and a bit prickly.

Chocolate, nuts, dark roast coffee, and toasted grains on the pallet. Once again, the coconut developes after, and is stronger in the finish than the start.

Finishes with roasted coconut and bitter chocolate.

At first I was dissapointed by the lack of coconut, but it really does become more apparent as you get into the glass. The amount thats in there is a great balance, and keeps the beer quaffable.
The Porter base is a bit light for my taste, but I'm sure it would be great on a beach on Maui!

Big ups to olibeer22 for a great bonus beer!

06-19-2008 00:40:33 | More by brewandbbq
Goliath

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours black and completely opaque with one inch of tan head sitting on top. Good retention and a little lacing.

Aroma has some good notes. Darkly roasted malts, chocolate mostly but I'm having difficulty detecting any coconut.

Taste is nice. Dark roasted malts, chocolate, and almost no coconut. Not as big as I was hoping.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, creamy, and has plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly high. Flavors are good, and with low alcohol it's definitely sessionable.

06-18-2008 04:22:46 | More by Goliath
bbothen

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

12 oz can poured into a snifter.

A - Deep dark brown with a small coffee colored head that has fine tiny bubbles. Do Ho reference for a beer brewed in Hawaii. That's right.

S - Smells of roasted coffee & malt. Sweetness from the coconut, although it's very faint. Might not pinpoint the smell if I didn't know what it was. I wanted more.

T - Tastes of roasted coffee, malt, small hop bite and a mild sweetness from the coconut.

M - Medium bodied & carbonated.

D - Easy drinking. Not heavy at all.

This is a fine porter. I wanted more coconut aroma & taste though. The $8.99 per 4 pack is a bit of a deterent, but I'll gladly buy this again.

06-14-2008 21:17:20 | More by bbothen
kinnaird

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured into a pint glass produces a 1.5 finger head that quickly recedes, leaving little lacing. The head has a slight hint of espresso color and the bubbles are fine. The body itself is a deep black. Now, this is how I like my porter to look. Yum.

Smells of coffee, roasted malt, and bittersweet chocolate. It smells fantastic, but where's the coconut?

This is where things get better. It tastes exactly as it smells and has a very nice, creamy mouthfeel to complement the great porter characteristics. Once again though, where's the coconut? (Pause) Oh wait, there it is. That coconut is wayyy subtle.

This porter is badass. The coconut is hinted in the aftertaste only if I give it a minute before having another drink of this fine brew. My roommate, who does not have knowledge in beer, asked me what I would rate it from a 1 to 10, and I said that it's easily an 8. This stuff is highly quaffable and easy to recommend if you like porters or robust beers alike. This would be a great session beer, but the price turns me off a little bit as I paid $8.99 for a 4 pack of 12oz. cans. Bring that price down, or give me a six for the same price and it'll be a staple. Cheers!

06-12-2008 19:27:23 | More by kinnaird
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz can compliments of Noxious26 poured into a pint glass.
Label as pictured above, lots of info on can including: Certified Made on Maui, 2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal, Why Cans? 5.7%.
Black, opaque with dark brown edge when held to the light. Light brown creamy head that fades to a thin ring. Aroma is mainly roasted malts and toasted coconut. Taste is like a standard porter, but with a toasted coconut flavor.
Medium body with little carbonation keep it from being to fizzy or bubbly. Maybe a little thin, but right for a porter, it's not a stout.
The coconut flavor is there, but I thought there might be a bit more coconut smell.

06-11-2008 16:03:18 | More by BigBry
homebrewhawk

Kansas

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to Dansting for this one. 12oz. can served in a shaker pint glass. Poured a deep brown/black with about a finger of fine bubbled tan head. Very interesting aroma toasted coconut. Chocolate comes out also as it warms. Lots of roasted malt flavor and some chocolate sweetness. Coconut comes out in th finish. There is also some hop bitterness in the middle. A unique flavor combination that really works.

06-09-2008 00:11:25 | More by homebrewhawk
dfillius

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Enjoyed in a tall water glass. Purchased at Foodland in Princeville, Kauai. This was my favorite of the three I found at Foodland (Bikini Blonde, and Big Swell IPA were the others).
A: Aggressive pour yields 4 fingers of fluffy tan head. The full can didn't even go in the glass for all that :-( Opaque dark brownish-black color with just a tad of red at the bottom edge.
S: Chocolate, coffee, tinge of caramel, alcohol, tiny bit of coconut, but not much at all. I want more coconut aroma.
T: Mmmmm. Creamy chocolate covered coffee beans with a coconut dusting. What a great mix of fruit and beer - there is not dominant flavor. Amazing how they keep dancing back and forth; alternatingly bobbing and weaving into the foreground. A great marriage.
M: Coffee-like bitterness, smooth and perfect carbonation. No heat, full bodied.
D: Delicious, I want another! There are some interesting problems with that though. This is only available in Hawaii and I don't frequently want such a full-bodied beer in warm weather. This beer is worth it though.

06-08-2008 01:02:38 | More by dfillius
turbine2475

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks go to BrewBakerE for the chance to try this brew:

A - Pours black with a massive cream colored head that dissipated quickly into a light ring leaving no lace.

S - Dark fruits, burnt tobacco, burned grainy malts resembling a grass fire (not in a bad way), and roasted coconut.

T - Roasted malts, light chocolate, roasted coconut, and a spice that I can't put my finger on.

M - Lighter then I thought it would be, but not in a bad way. Hefty carbonation with a lingering flavor from the roast.

D - Good brew. Excellent complexity, but not overwhelming. Light enough to drink on a hot day and sessionable ABV makes it easy to have several. Would pick more up in the future if given the chance.

06-04-2008 20:45:34 | More by turbine2475
Lothore

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Pours a deep mahogany with a fluffy, tan, 2 finger head.

S- Smell is a bit laid back, hints of coffee that pretty much cover up other scents.

T- Taste is wonderful, coffee is dominate, cream, I don't get too much coconut from this one though. I seem to get a mettalic taste from this brew and i'm not sure if it's from the can or not but without it I would give this much higher marks. I definitely want to try this on tap to see if the canning is the issue.

M- Fairly viscous with a good amount of carbonation.

D- This one is very drinkable. I could sip on these all day. I really want to try this one on tap though because the mettalic tinge is bugging me.

06-04-2008 04:24:46 | More by Lothore
PeprSprYoFace

4.78/5  rDev +18.3%

I can get this now that they started distributing it to Southern California. It is about the 4th can of it that I have had and I love this stuff.

It pours a nice very dark brown color with a nice size light brown head that was about 1/2 and inch thick.

The smell is awesome. Smells of hints of coconut, bitter chocolat, and expresso beans.

Taste is exactly as it smells with all the roasted flavours and a good malt base. I wish it had a little more coconut flavour since that was what i was expacting and hoping for because the coconut is very hidden in the background.

Mouthfeel is good and of any other porter but i wish it had a creamier mouthfeel because with the coconut it feels appropriate.

A very good beer none the less and i will drink many more of thease but I just wish it had a little more coconut character (creamyness and flavour) which is why im experementing with homebrew...

06-03-2008 17:22:23 | More by PeprSprYoFace
CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)