CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub) visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: drseamus on 01-21-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz can compliments of Noxious26 poured into a pint glass.
Label as pictured above, lots of info on can including: Certified Made on Maui, 2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal, Why Cans? 5.7%.
Black, opaque with dark brown edge when held to the light. Light brown creamy head that fades to a thin ring. Aroma is mainly roasted malts and toasted coconut. Taste is like a standard porter, but with a toasted coconut flavor.
Medium body with little carbonation keep it from being to fizzy or bubbly. Maybe a little thin, but right for a porter, it's not a stout.
The coconut flavor is there, but I thought there might be a bit more coconut smell.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to Dansting for this one. 12oz. can served in a shaker pint glass. Poured a deep brown/black with about a finger of fine bubbled tan head. Very interesting aroma toasted coconut. Chocolate comes out also as it warms. Lots of roasted malt flavor and some chocolate sweetness. Coconut comes out in th finish. There is also some hop bitterness in the middle. A unique flavor combination that really works.

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Enjoyed in a tall water glass. Purchased at Foodland in Princeville, Kauai. This was my favorite of the three I found at Foodland (Bikini Blonde, and Big Swell IPA were the others).
A: Aggressive pour yields 4 fingers of fluffy tan head. The full can didn't even go in the glass for all that :-( Opaque dark brownish-black color with just a tad of red at the bottom edge.
S: Chocolate, coffee, tinge of caramel, alcohol, tiny bit of coconut, but not much at all. I want more coconut aroma.
T: Mmmmm. Creamy chocolate covered coffee beans with a coconut dusting. What a great mix of fruit and beer - there is not dominant flavor. Amazing how they keep dancing back and forth; alternatingly bobbing and weaving into the foreground. A great marriage.
M: Coffee-like bitterness, smooth and perfect carbonation. No heat, full bodied.
D: Delicious, I want another! There are some interesting problems with that though. This is only available in Hawaii and I don't frequently want such a full-bodied beer in warm weather. This beer is worth it though.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks go to BrewBakerE for the chance to try this brew:

A - Pours black with a massive cream colored head that dissipated quickly into a light ring leaving no lace.

S - Dark fruits, burnt tobacco, burned grainy malts resembling a grass fire (not in a bad way), and roasted coconut.

T - Roasted malts, light chocolate, roasted coconut, and a spice that I can't put my finger on.

M - Lighter then I thought it would be, but not in a bad way. Hefty carbonation with a lingering flavor from the roast.

D - Good brew. Excellent complexity, but not overwhelming. Light enough to drink on a hot day and sessionable ABV makes it easy to have several. Would pick more up in the future if given the chance.

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Pours a deep mahogany with a fluffy, tan, 2 finger head.

S- Smell is a bit laid back, hints of coffee that pretty much cover up other scents.

T- Taste is wonderful, coffee is dominate, cream, I don't get too much coconut from this one though. I seem to get a mettalic taste from this brew and i'm not sure if it's from the can or not but without it I would give this much higher marks. I definitely want to try this on tap to see if the canning is the issue.

M- Fairly viscous with a good amount of carbonation.

D- This one is very drinkable. I could sip on these all day. I really want to try this one on tap though because the mettalic tinge is bugging me.

4.78/5  rDev +18.3%

I can get this now that they started distributing it to Southern California. It is about the 4th can of it that I have had and I love this stuff.

It pours a nice very dark brown color with a nice size light brown head that was about 1/2 and inch thick.

The smell is awesome. Smells of hints of coconut, bitter chocolat, and expresso beans.

Taste is exactly as it smells with all the roasted flavours and a good malt base. I wish it had a little more coconut flavour since that was what i was expacting and hoping for because the coconut is very hidden in the background.

Mouthfeel is good and of any other porter but i wish it had a creamier mouthfeel because with the coconut it feels appropriate.

A very good beer none the less and i will drink many more of thease but I just wish it had a little more coconut character (creamyness and flavour) which is why im experementing with homebrew...

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a shaker pint. Thanks to coreyrhoads for the trade!! Pours a dark brown, blak with a thin tan head. Smells of roasted malts followed up by a hint of coconut and some wood-like aroma. Flavor is definitely unique. I get a sharp crisp bite, not like most porters and then it sort of fizzles out with a hint of coconut flavor on the tail end. I am loving the whole canned thing, but I think I get a bit of aluminum typo flavor in the taste. I could just be dreaming it, though. Beer fizzles in my mouth. Pretty good drinkablilty, definitely something I will try again.

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks to jhenry04 for this extra. Taken from notes.

A- Pours a nice dark brown with cola colored head.

S- Smells of roasted malts and slight bit of toasted coconut. Similar to a Mounds bar.

T- Even more so like a Mounds bar with more roastiness added in.

M - A little thin mouthfeel for me.

D - A little sweet and I couldn't have too many but this is a nice beer .

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

WOW! I expected a thick creamy beer that would taste like bubbly suntan lotion, but it was surprising...

Pours jet black, hints of tan with a a light tan foamy head.
Immediate smell of chocolates with a light coconut aroma.
No hop bouquet.

Beer has moderate body, actually thinner than what I expected from a porter. Coconut flavors wafting around, with a very lingering finish. I can actually taste the toasting of the coconut in this. Several chocolate flavors mixed in. Beer is decently carbonated. Sticks around on the tongue.

This might be the first session porter I have had, but the coconut might catch up to you even though it seems fairly balanced. I haven't gone past 2 yet...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Very gorgeous dark chocolate with almond lacing...

Smells of cacao beans...

Tastes like a Porter made for Summertime. A Porter like this could only come from Hawaii. Roasted coconut accents a traditional Porter malt base. Five different roasted malts were used, making a complex beer. Chocolate, caramel, peanuts, coffee, and dark fruits...

As mentioned above, this Porter was made for Summer!

Goes down way easy...easy to savor...easy to guzzle...It's up to you!

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from 12oz can purchased at O'side BevMo. Poured into schlitz pint glass, poured a black coffee with light tan head. Smell is dominated by roasted scents of barley, coffee, coconut and a little chocolate scent. Taste is pretty similar with a coffee bitterness and a very faint coconut chocolate flavor. Mouthfeel is full body with a lively carbonation level. An exceptional porter on all levels and cant wait till its available in a constant supply.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can from a 4-pack from BevMo in Mira Loma, CA. in April 2008. Price not recorded (around $9.00?).

Pours a beautiful dark brown, with a healthy tan head that sticks around a good long while. Aromas of coconut are solidly represented among the muted (for a porter) dark roasty malt notes.

It gets really interesting in the flavor area- the coconut is there, but much more mellow- the roasty notes come out, almost smoky, very campfire earthy goodness. Strong toasty, roasty, coffee, burnt pecan shell notes swirl and overcome the coconut. Sitting on the beach late at night watching the Pacific tides roll in under the muted lights of the far off hotel towers? Not a bad image for this one---

I like it, even if porter isn't one of my favorite styles...

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

12 oz can picked up on the islands by good friend and coworker Michelle E. Shared with my brother SAS.. 1/2" tan head.. very dark brown brew.. only slightest hints of red and brown highlites when held to a light.

Aroma is really chocolaty.. and nutty.. a little toast.. I guess if you combine all this together, it reminds me slightly of an Almond Joy candy bar.

Flavor mirrors the aroma pretty well with a dusty overtone that goes from front to back. Nutty chocolate and just a little toasted coconut. Body is fairly light as expected and carbonation is light which helps lend to a very smooth mouthfeel.

All in all, I would pick this up fairly frequently if I had access to this on a regular basis... not as a novelty, but more as something different.

Big props to Michelle.. She is a BA, she just doesn't know it. I will intervene at some point. :)

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Purchased at BevMo! in Orange.

A- Poured from a 12 oz. can into an imperial pint glass, this beer appears black with deep red hues. The large head is light brown in color, leaving almost no lacing on the glass.

S- Big aromas of toasted coconut, chocolate, and lots of roasty malts. The creamy coconut aroma dominates as the beer warms, with a hint of coffee in the background.

T- Roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate, with a delicious toasted coconut flavor backing it all up. The finish is less dry than I expected, and the coconut flavor sticks around between sips.

M- The mouthfeel is oily and slick, with medium carbonation. This beer has a very smooth and lush texture, but it's not heavy feeling. Very nice.

D- This drinks very light for a Porter. It's not heavy on the stomach, and the coconut flavors never become boring.

An outstanding and unique Porter. Highly recommended.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

12 oz. can,

A: Pours brown, with a somewhat fizzy off-white head, thick, fair retention.

S: A lot of coconut meat, though it is astringent at times, light coffee.

T: Coconut juice at first sip, some charcoal and herbal bitterness hits next. The beer ends with some dark chocolate and a sweet coconut note.

M: Light-bodied, a tad on the thin side, oily.

D: A tasty porter from Maui, a dark beer that gives you a tropical feel is something I like, nice to see more canned microbrews. A tasty porter that I think is worthy of its hype.

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce can purchased as part of a four pack at the BevMo in Redlands for nine dollars, drank two tonight while enjoying all my TV shows being back on, poured into my new Samuel Adams glass

A-Black with no light going through, small 1/2 creamy light tan head that settled after three or four minutes, some retention, also decent lacing

S-Coconut but not sweet at all and actually a little bit of burned scent, roasted malts, toast, a slight coffee aroma, some milk chocolate, and barley

T-Could taste toasted coconut at first, then some coffee and roasted barley in the middle, finish was slightly dry, as it warmed there was a little bit of tart and slight sweetness caused by the coconut but it still did not taste sweet like other coconut beverages I have had in the past, some chocolate came to the surface towards the end in the finish, not as dry as most porters, nicely balanced with the malted barley and coconut, the six different types of malt make this one unique and allow its complex flavor to shine, very enjoyable flavor

M-Roasty, calm, sweet, and dry mouthfeel, medium to full body, nice level of carbonation, taste lingered for a good amount of time, slight sensation on the tongue

D-Could have easily drank all four tonight, light on the stomach for a porter, low ABV, smooth as can be, alcohol is completely hidden

Thought I was going to have to wait until I went to Maui in August to try this one and was shocked to see it at my local spot, worth all the hype I have heard, pretty much what I was expecting, will be drinking this a lot more in the future, especially if it is readily available in my area, highly recommended

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

12 oz can my sister brought me back from Hawaii.

Poured a dark brown with a white head, lots of carbonation bubbles initially that settled fairly quickly.

Smell is of toasted coconut, roasted malts, and some bitter chocolate. Smells a bit sweet.

Taste was not as sweet as the smell. I can taste the coconut, but it isnt the sickening sweet coconut in a mounds or almond joy, but rather an unsweetened, toasted coconut. Beyond that there is some roasted malts that are bold but not burnt. Flavor is pretty rounded.

This one is a little thin but well carbonated and easy to drink. It is very good, but i do not know if i would travel to hawaii to get it. Course, if i was there I would certainly drink alot of them and bring home more!

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from it's unique can it is coal black with a wonderful cream 2in head, finally settling with 1/4in cap. This has a wonderful smell most notably of CoConut and rich notes of chocolate. Rich malts and roasted tones are profound. I also got a small piece of coconut floating on top of the cap (not sure if that is intentional, but it was definitely coconut). The flavor is very thick with chocolate and rich roasted nuts. There is not as prevalent a flavor of coconut, but there is subtle hints (which in my opinion is better). I was not expecting much from this brew, but was very impressed. I truly wish I had a six or twelve pack of this...according to my brother-in-law whom purchased this in Hawaii for me, you can only get this on the islands? Oh well, a reason to go visit!

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Straight black with a tan and creamy lid.

Definite coconut in the nose. Sweet chocolatey and roasty with a bit of nuttiness. Smells like an almond joy.

Nice smooth medium body with a full and tickling carbonation. Light bittersweet chocolate shavings with toasted coconuts and roasted malts and nuts. The finish is dry with a light, lingering bitterness.

I didn't know if I would like this or not, but it's damn good. Even for one who is not big on coconut, I would definitely enjoy this one anytime.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into two small snifters. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Thanks to Bernie and Linda for bringing this back from Hawaii!

A: Pours a dark pitch black with a small but very creamy dark brown head that leaves small spots randomly in the glass.

S: Awesome aromas of toasted coconut and dark chocolate! We could smell this all night long.

T: See above with notes of toasted malt. Tastes like an Almond Joy...if the Almond Joy was made from fresh, premium quality coconut and chocolate.

M: Thicker than most porters. Bittersweet and slightly dry with a sticky finish.

D: We could drink this all damn day! Seriously. This is that friggin' good!

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

HUGE thanks to fordest for this one. I was lucky to find somebody with one, and he came through big with his final one for me! Black pour, with a nicely lasting attractive brown head. Smell is a delicious sweet roasty creaminess at first reminding me of a good oatmeal stout. As it opens I think I can detect a tiny hint of coconut in the nose, and it comes off just a hint plasticy for a while, but not offensively so. Taste...Exceptionally smooth, creamy, slightly sweet and roasted with a noticeable, and perfectly highlighted toasted coconut flake flavor in the finish. Very nice! Full bodied, slightly thick, flavorful, and all around a very enjoyable beer that I wish I could get more readily... Just what I hoped it'd be, and easily one of my favorites. Worth getting if you have the chance!

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

I was fortunate enough to come along a can of this along with the Maui brewing company's IPA as well.

This beer has a dark brown almost opaque appearance that pours with a small tan head. The aroma of the beer is a mix of chocolate and coffee as well as a few slight tart characteristics. The mouth feel is enjoyable with a smooth finish that complements the chocolate and malt tastes of this fine porter. The drink-ability was another plus of this beer that I hope to stumble upon on many more occasions.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a nice dark color out of the can and into the glass. There is a pleasantly large, slightly off white, foamy head, which lasts. The smell is a nice mixture of coffee, with slight hints of coconut. A very enjoyable taste, coffee, with a coconut finish. A very nice beer that I would certainly drink again and recommend. Enjoy!

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to wetherel for this unique treat.

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass.

Pours a thin black with a one finger light khaki colored head that quickly dies down to a small layer of bubbles. Stickiness is minimal at best. Smell is a perfect combination of coconut and chocolate malt. Smokey barley with a carmelized sweetness in the nose as well. A mild earthy hop aroma makes its presence known. Charred wood flavor up front followed by an artificial coconut milk. Barley and cocoa powder make up the aftertaste. Milky medium bodied texture in the mouth, fits quite well. Soft carbonation coats throughout. There have only been a few porters that I have enjoyed, this one definitely fits in to that category. So glad I had the opportunity to try this one. Thanks again wetherel!

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%

I find coconut flavor rather unpleasant, but this beer is wonderful. Pours a half finger of dark caramel head over a pitch black liquid. Fizzy soda pop kind of carbonation. Smells dry. Coffee and delectible coconut. Vanilla. Alcohol is mild and comes across as a bit of spice zing. Perhaps some oily.

Tastes rich caramel. Mounds candy bar without the sticky sweet granulated sugar. Nice and refined richness. Chococlate and dark toffee with just a subtle hint of coconut. Coffee in a rich dark lingering flavor. Coconut carries a berry ester and milky wonderful. Perfect use of coconut in a fantastic sweet dark beer. Touch of nut. Light body which tends to stick, but dry carbonation cleans it away without any hope.

Delicate, yet complex. Truly phenomenal. Add some caramelly oxidation from time in my cellar and this beer would be a masterpiece.

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)