CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub) visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: drseamus on 01-21-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 501-525 | 526-550 | 551-575  | next › last »
domtronzero

3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a deep dark color with a frothy tan head, leaving lacing through the finish. Aroma is of dark roasted malts with a touch of chocolate and caramel, and some coconut scents in the background. Tastes of chocolate and coconut, with hints of vanilla and a very slight hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is creamy and thick, but not overpowering. Somewhat easy drinking, but the flavor starts to come across as somewhat candy-like. A very well made beer; too bad it hasn't made its way to the mainland yet.

09-25-2007 05:21:21 | More by domtronzero
July2Nov

Hawaii

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

A: What a porter should look like: Dark with a huge 3-finger frothy head.
S: Rich with a chocolate bent. Has a syrup smell near the end.
T&M: Like a good cup of coffee. Smooth with slight carbonation, but ends with a coco fullness. very impressed with this beer in a can.
D: Should have bought more of this because I can see that the 6-pack is going to go very soon. Wonderful beer. I'm glad this is finally making it toward my side of the island.

09-25-2007 05:03:38 | More by July2Nov
wardough

Wisconsin

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Big old thick head, that continues to grown when you pour. Well carbonated. Big head, especially at the temperature of the pour (50 degrees…cold, I know)

S: Smells of coffee and ice cream. Not sure why I smell the ice cream, but it smells heavenly! Very slight notes of coconut.

T: Starts off very sweet, with the hit of coconut. The taste then moves into a little bit of a coffee flavor. Definitely not a typical porter.

M: Very smooth. Feels like 2% milk on the mouth.

D: I like the taste and how smooth it is, but this isn’t a beer that I would drink one after another. Kind of reminds me of a milkshake, how easy it goes down.

A very creative beer. Well done.

09-24-2007 07:31:28 | More by wardough
seaoflament

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Sampled during Stone's 11th Anniversary event.

Color is dark with a good amount of head and slight lacing.

Aroma is incredible, roasted malts, coffee, toffee, chocolate, and some coconut milk.

Tastes very interesting, coffee, roasted malts, coconut is a nice addition to the syle.

Mouthfeel is very silky, like drinking coconut milk with coffee and chocolate. Drinks pretty easy.

09-09-2007 00:46:53 | More by seaoflament
oggg

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

At Mala's Ocean Tavern in Lahaina on Maui, the waiter cracked open a can of this Coconut Porter and poured it straight down into a frosted pint glass. 4 inches of foam came up and I told him I would do the pouring...

This beer, when handled gently, pours a gritty brown black color with a chocolaty foamy head that lasts quite a while. It looks thick. On the nose I get a lot of toasted barley with a blast of coffee. I guess you could call it toasted coconut if you were looking for it. On the tongue the beer feels huge with slightly sweet toffee, toasted barley, then a surge of coffee and finally a lingering burnt note that is perfect. No fruity esters and the hops are in the background only. Smooth with a balanced finish. Highly drinkable.

Overall: not sure I found the coconute, but this makes a great coffee porter.

09-02-2007 07:08:51 | More by oggg
rallison

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Sampled at the San Diego County Fair.

This was an interesting - and good - roasty, chocolate-y porter. Taste is quite interesting with the introduction of coconut. I've always enjoyed coconut with chocolate, and this beer brings them together nicely. Lots of coconut in the flavor here. Cappuccino flavors are also nicely present. And chocolate of course.

I quite enjoyed this. A unique porter, and one that worked surprisingly well. Highly recommended for at least a try. I suppose the body could be slightly stronger for me to really love this beer, but it's also about par for the style.

07-25-2007 07:25:15 | More by rallison
markaberrant

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Big dark bubbles form and quickly dissappear, likely due to the oil in the coconut. Opaque black.

S - Toasted coconut and chocolate. Very good.

T - I get almost nothing when it first hits my tongue, but then a cake-like blend of toasted coconut and chocolate shows up. Aftertaste is bitter dark chocolate with a hint coffee.

M - Creamy, but light... again reminding me of a light moist cake.

D - Easy enough to toss back, but there is also a complexity if you are looking for that sort of thing.

I've only got the one sample can, I can definitely say I would drink this again. I think they nailed the coconut perfectly, and the base beer is chocolatey goodness.

Thanks to Noxious26 for the can!

07-24-2007 01:57:57 | More by markaberrant
rayjay

Hawaii

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

Bought this from the brewery in Maui. Cool looking can. I drank alot from the cans over there, now I'm home and poured it into a pint glass.

Decent head, but it fades pretty quickly. I was expecting this because coconuts are so fatty, which would deter the foam. Actually I'm amazed it even has any foam. Otherwise, it's a pretty average looking porter.

Really chocolatey aroma, super rich and appealing. None of that east coast porter nose thing going on, and smells better than most Irish stouts. I smell toasted coconut, but I knew to look for it.

Really one of the best porters I've ever tasted. Big rich chocolate taste, like a melted Hershey bar. Lots of roasted, toasted notes. Very faintly hopped, with a gentle bitterness that's perfect for the beer.

The mouthfeel is the highlight with this one. Very silky and creamy. Light on the palate, allowing for big sessions. Perfect amount of carbonation, just enough to carry the maltiness and nothing more.

Great drinkability as well. Never too heavy. Wouldn't have guessed they could make a porter that's light enough for a hot day at the beach, yet full of rich flavor, but they came through in a big way. Highly recommended, especially for chocolate lovers, red wine buffs, and people who think dark beers suck.

Big time cheers!

07-03-2007 00:50:53 | More by rayjay
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured in a pint glass. Picture on the front looks like a mug made out of a coconut and also shows a vat labelled 1814 that is cracked and spilling porter all over. They also have a big write up about why they chose cans for their product over bottles.

Black, opaque with chestnut highlights around the edges when held to the light. Light brown creamy head is 1/8 inch on the pour, but reduces to a thin ring around the edge.

Aroma is mainly roasted malts and toasted coconut. Some hints of spices in the background. Interesting, I can't say I've ever smelled a beer like this before.

Taste is like a standard porter, but with a big toasted coconut flavour throughout. Toasted coconut up front with roasted malts in the background. Aftertaste is a mild version of the same profile.

Thin-medium body with minimal carbonation. A little thin for what I'd expect from a porter, but in Maui, when the heat is on, I don't think I'd want to have a big heavy thick beer.

An interesting beer, but not one that I'd want to drink all the time. The coconut flavour is just too bold. I'd prefer it to be more of a background flavour instead.

06-03-2007 15:58:53 | More by Noxious26
TurdFurgison

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

We picked up a growler from the source. I think the name of the place has changed to Maui Brewing Company, I know it's the same place listed on BA as Fish & Game Brewing due to the same beer names. Anyway this beer was a real find, although it was difficult to taste the coconut. Mostly it was a smooth and rich porter, easy to drink.

I hope to review a different Maui Brewing beer every night or two, as we plan to re-fill the growler (right now they're serving a DIPA which will probably be next).

Serving type: growler

03-12-2007 22:47:43 | More by TurdFurgison
« first ‹ prev | 501-525 | 526-550 | 551-575  | next › last »
CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)