Sobrehumano Palena'ole - Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)

Sobrehumano Palena'oleSobrehumano Palena'ole

Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub) visit their website
Hawaii, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldPenguinHunter on 06-13-2012)

3.09/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours out cloudy orange brown. The head is tan and lacks retention. No lacing at all. The smell is mostly of cherries. If you dig a little you might be able to get a little honey. Getting mostly tart cherries and somewhat of a medicinal taste in the background. Towards the finish the sweetness of the cherries comes a long with a bit of cooked sugar. The mouth feels seems watered down. The carbonation seems to be somewhere in the middle. Overall Im really not that impressed. I will not be purchasing this beer again. I didn't try the first beer in the series however I will be trying the 3rd. 3rd times a charm?

2.3/5  rDev -27.9%

Can into a cervoise. Ordered online. Some fruit. Cherry, mostly. A bit of fruit tannin. A bit of slightly-harsh malt. Finish is rough.

2.78/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured gently from a can into a pint glass

Appearance: Cloudy amber color. Excessive carbonation. Three to four fingers of head forms, but quickly fades with no lacing.

Smell: Sweet malt, sour cherry, and some funk.

Taste: Tart up front. I get some sweet malt and tart cherries. The flavor profile seems disjointed and not well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Over-carbonated and very coarse.

Overall: I was disappointed by this beer. I have enjoyed a number of Jolly Pumpkin offerings and had high expectations for this. I would have liked the cherry flavor to come through more as well as a little more tartness. There is a noticeable difference between the Maui version and the Jolly Pumpkin version. I would recommend trying to Jolly pumpkin version instead. I would not buy the Maui version again, but I would have te Jolly Pumpkin version.

2.43/5  rDev -23.8%

12 Ounce can poured into pint glass.

Appearance - A very nice rust color. Tons of carbonation and a ton of quickly fading almost white head. I had to stop pouring several times to let the head die down. Quite a bit of sediment formed in the bottom of the glass. No lacing. 3.5/5

Smell - It smells a lot more like a cider. Extremely fruity. I say apple. 3.5/5

Taste - It really isn't doing it for me. Very tart and super carbonated. It almost tastes like one of those fruity malt liquors. There isn't anything complex under the tartness. One dimensional. 2/5

Mouthfeel - The amount of carbonation in this beer ruins the mouthfeel for me. Too much fizz. 2.5/5

Overall - It looks very pretty, unless you are one of the people that hate sediment. Unfortunately, appearance and smell are not weighted as heavily (for me) as taste. The more it warms up, the worse it gets. I highly doubt I'm going to finish this. Luckily the can was only 99 cents. 2/5

2.08/5  rDev -34.8%

This beer is offensively bad, drain pour. It tasted like trash and cigarette butts or perhaps like the dirt under the bleachers.

Beer served in a cervoise glass. Beer is amber, dark amber and clear without sediment, sediment makes it hazy, nice white head, medium and large bubbles, moderate carbonation, looks good.

Aroma is odd but not too off putting, mildly tannic, a little roast maybe.

I had the Jolly Pumpkin version of this beer and enjoyed it, This one I hated. It was thin and acrid, harsh and tasted like garbage. I gave it a fair chance but it failed on all front. AVOID AVOID AVOID. Never ever EVER make this beer again. I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit just thinking about it.

3.48/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured out as a murky looking copper color, almost a light brown. The head was a cream color that had a moderate retention to it with a spotted lacing in the beginning. As time went by all that had faded. The smell of the beer is a little bit of a mix of things. No real dominant elements shine through, but there is a uniqueness to the beer on the nose to say the least. The taste of the beer gives off just enough of the Michigan cherries that was used and as for the Hawaiian fruit that was used I'd have to taste that on it's own to pick up where that comes in. The mouthfeel of the beer was decent, medium bodied with a good carbonation to it. Overall this beer wasn't too bad, not something I would need to buy cases of but it was fun to try.

4.4/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a DFH etched snifter.

Deep mahogany with an off white head that builds up massively then quickly dissipates. Nose is sweet and fruity with notes of cherries, mild citrus, tropical scents (kind of mango-esque but lighter probably from the liliko'i), some brown sugar and some dark fruit. Smells like a sour, which has my hopes up because we don't get many sours here in Tucson. The taste is a slight letdown from the nose, but its not too far off. Light cherry flavors flow into a tart, tropical rush that overtakes the palate and fades into a grapefruity tart/sweet finish. It finishes pretty dry despite the final sweet flavors. Its not quite a sour but it has that nice tart taste I crave from them. I'll probably grab a couple sixers and keep them around for a few months to sate my cravings for sours.

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a cloudy mahogany brown amber. Tall two finger off-white head that dissipated over a few minutes to a thin head with light patchy lacing. Unusual aroma of tropical and unidentified fruit and a bit of vegetable soup, tart sweetness. Flavor of tart fruit with passion fruit dominating, cherry, orange, turning a bit medicinal and astringent in the middle and finish. Finish is particularly tart and astringent. The fruit mixture was somewhat off-putting at first taste, but I have to admit that it grew on me as I drank this ale. Unfortunately, the finish was a bit unbalanced, but did have a grassy/hay quality that I also grew to appreciate in the end. Light to medium bodied. An interesting experiment that ended up just a bit to unbalanced. A bit more malt body could have improved the finish to allow appreciation of the interesting fruits. Truly glad I tried it because it is unique and interesting, but probably not a repeat.

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%

3.73/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

im surprised people dont like this more. first of all i love the long distance collaboration with jolly pumpkin, great idea to brew with fruits from these two states. the beer pours from the can a murky brown/red color that doesnt let much light pass. there is an almost two inch head light brown in color that has decent retention. the smell is interesting, tart from the cherries, sweet from the passion fruits, and oddly complex from the malts. its not a sour, but has a nose that could be confused for one, as the yeast is also potent in the nose. the flavor is malty up front, more like a brown ale than a red i think, and it eases into a fruity finish, passion fruit acidity at first, cherry tartness last. its a long finish that blends the fruits nicely. the feel is just okay, its a little heavier in body than the flavor really demands, and it feels tiring in that sense. the carbonation is intense though, and that helps. overall i really enjoyed both the idea and the end result of this beer. could be improved by a lighter body, more filtration, and a little less sweet malt, but i thouht it was pretty good.

3.03/5  rDev -5%

Big thanks goes out to micstache for this one as an extra in a recent trade! Served from can into a Mikkeller oversized wine glass. Poured a deep red-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, wheat, grain, subtle fruit, and must. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, wheat, grain, cherry, and metallic. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty average brew. If I’m honest I’m not really sure what Maui or Jolly Pumpkin was going for on this one. There was a lot going on, but why was it all together in the first place is the question I ask you… The musty aroma and metallic flavor however were the killers of this one. While it was drinkable, it wasn’t the most enjoyable brew out there, but I’m glad I got the chance to try it at least.

Sobrehumano Palena'ole from Maui Brewing Co. (Brewpub)