Quilter's Irish Death - Iron Horse Brewery

Quilter's Irish DeathQuilter's Irish Death

Iron Horse Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

American Strong Ale |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 09-18-2007)

Anew, Dec 08, 2011

kmahe, Sep 12, 2014

Ceballonegro, Aug 22, 2012

Coni, Mar 05, 2014
4.72/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A very dark brown ale. Leaves a lot of tracing on the glass. I got plenty of gold colored head that lasted longer than I expected.

S Decent chocolate and caramel. Not overpowering, but it's there and is good.

T This beer hit the spot for me. Lots of malt, coffee, and caramel in the mix, and a nice sweet touch that kept me coming back for more. Notes of dark fruit in the background. If I didn't know the alcohol content before hand, I'd never have guessed how much was there until after trying to stand up.

M Not too thick (this is an ale, not a stout), but plenty of body. Quite satisfying.

O If there was ever a reason for me to want to live in the Northwest, this beer is it. One of the best comfort ales I have run across. Yum!!

kola, Apr 01, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +22%

Served in a glass.

A: Similar to soda but darker brownish-black. Slight carbonation. Could be mistaken for soda if one didn't smell it first. Pours a very thick head which recedes somewhat quickly.

S: Has a slight or subtle coffee smell to it. Very pleasant to the nose, perhaps even more so than any other beer I've smelled.

T: Excellent! Has subtle coffee and dark chocolate flavors to it. Very pleasing to the palate. The alcohol taste doesn't come through until the end and even then it isn't unpleasant and doesn't come through much (not to a fault though).

M: Somewhat thick feel. Very smooth but not weak.

D: I honestly do not think they could have made a better tasting "dark smooth ale/stout". At 7.8% ABV I would not drink another one for personal reasons but if not for these personal reservations I would & could certainly drink another half bottle. It goes down very easily but not because it is weak or poor.

I tried to be fair & honest (with this my first review) even though this is hands-down my favorite beer. A little pricey where I am at $4.29 a bottle (thanks to Washington's new tax) but it is well worth the price. I would even pay more for this. If one enjoys dark beers this is a must-try. I know that is probably difficult though considering (AFAIK) it is a regional/local beer.
I am not a coffee drinker and never have been but I do enjoy true dark chocolate (such as 90+% cocoa chocolate and raw cacao).

Definitely give this a try if you're in eastern Washington (state)!

echoes, Oct 01, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +20.7%

Have had this on-tap and in bottle several times. Some notes from the bottle:

A - Respectable amount of foam that fades slowly and smoothly. Nice dark chocolate brown/near black. Small amounts of thin lacing.

S - Mild notes of sweet caramel, dark chocolate and heavily roasted malt. A pinch of earthy hops linger in the background.

T - Quite unexpectedly good. This is a sweet, but nicely balanced, chocolaty stout. Not nearly as sweet as Southern Tier, but sweeter than a standard stout. Dark chocolate definitely is the main flavor with some caramel and molasses, a bit of earthiness, and a hint of smoke. Outstanding - a real sleeper, this.

M - Fairly full-bodied and creamy. Low to mid-carbonation, but this fits it perfectly. This beer just has a near perfect balance.

D - I would rate this sky high given how great it tastes, and the fact that I would have never guessed this to be nearly 8%. Drinks like 5% and I downed it pretty fast. A go-to stout.

blackc5, Nov 09, 2010

Daveychu, Feb 12, 2012

fishguyac, Sep 17, 2012

piclee, Mar 17, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

This is the best brown ale I have ever drank. Superb flavor and drinkability. The beer has a wonderful almost chocalately sweet smoothness. I had it out the bottle for the first time last night and it was almost as good as it is on tap. Pricey, but well worth it.

Liberaldrinker, Mar 07, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Had this beer on tap in Tacoma a couple weeks ago, just found my notes.
Pours a very dark brown, almost black. Little bit of tan creamy head.
Smells awesome. Dark/chocolate malts, sweet, carmel, maybe just a bit of fruity hops.
Tastes even better. Very well balanced beer, all the flavors come together just right.
Mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth. Moderate carbonation.
I could drink this beer forever. It is excellent.

honeybrewer, May 21, 2010